PDA

View Full Version : Wirfin Obispo still a prospect?

TC81190
04-05-2007, 06:36 PM
I've heard that he may never make it to the US. While I kinda doubt this, is he still good enough to get consideration as a good prospect? I'm still excited to see the kid.

Superdude
04-05-2007, 06:40 PM
It sounds like he's got the talent to be a good prospect, but right now, it's kind of like having a super hot girlfriend who lives in Montana.

dougdirt
04-05-2007, 06:43 PM
Hes not exactly a kid, as I think he is 23 now. I think its a pipe dream that he ever steps foot onto US soil. I mean he obviously put up the numbers to warrant coming over, but he hasn't gotten here yet, so I would say the odds are fairly long of him ever getting here.

TC81190
08-25-2007, 03:06 PM
I'm going to bump this for some updated input from the more informed.

wheels
08-26-2007, 09:34 PM
Isn't he the former Alexander Farfan?

Or am I dreaming that up?

If he's not Farfan, what happened to him?

Jay Bruce
08-26-2007, 10:09 PM
Isn't he the former Alexander Farfan?

Or am I dreaming that up?

If he's not Farfan, what happened to him?

Alex Farfan and Wirfin Obispo are 2 different people.

Farfan never got past high A, as he walked 217 people in 318 1/3 minor league innings, while only striking out 192 batters. He may have had a great fastball, but never got past his immense control problems.

As for Obispo, wasn't he caught getting $5,000 for trying to marry a woman simply so that she could live in the USA? If that is the case, I doubt he could get a visa that allows him to come over.

texasdave
09-12-2007, 10:38 AM
Bump. It seems as though Wirfin Obispo is a Yomiuri Giant. Or maybe he is just in their farm system.

https://www.japanesebaseball.com/players/player.jsp?PlayerID=2278

The article states that he was activated on 8/14. But then he was de-activated on 8/21. I couldn't find any stats on Obispo, so he may not have actually pitched over there.

lollipopcurve
09-12-2007, 12:02 PM
It seems as though Wirfin Obispo is a Yomiuri Giant. Or maybe he is just in their farm system.

https://www.japanesebaseball.com/pla...?PlayerID=2278

The article states that he was activated on 8/14. But then he was de-activated on 8/21. I couldn't find any stats on Obispo, so he may not have actually pitched over there.

That's a great find. He was activated to "improve pitching," ostensibly the pitching of the Yomiuri club. He was then deactivated for what they call "readjustment."

I wonder if somehow the Reds are still involved.....