PDA

View Full Version : Bench on Moeller

Ltlabner
04-05-2007, 08:15 PM
During todays pregame show on 700wlw Johnny Bench was interviewed. He commented several times that carying three catchers was not "part of our plan". He mentioned the injury situation and implied that because of them, Moeller was bought north. Otherwise, his comments left the general impression that there would not have been three catchers/Moeller on the team if the powers that be had their druthers.

His comments left me wondering...

1) Who's injury neccesitated carying Moeller? Deno's? Norris Hopper? Someone else whom I am forgeting?

2) Should I buy this or is it hot air?

3) When did Bench become part of the decision making process for roster creation?

reds44
04-05-2007, 08:17 PM
It was probably Norris' and Deno's injuries. When Hopper gets back, I think he will come north.

Krvisky is trying to trade for an outfielder, IMHO.

Redlegs
04-05-2007, 08:22 PM
3) When did Bench become part of the decision making process for roster creation?
Johnny Bench has been a consultant for the Reds for many years. They probably value his opinion very much, as they should, IMO.

TeamBoone
04-05-2007, 09:12 PM
It was probably Norris' and Deno's injuries. When Hopper gets back, I think he will come north.

Krvisky is trying to trade for an outfielder, IMHO.

I don't think that what Abner meant when asking the question.

My interpretation was that he wanted to know why those injured players necessitated carrying a third catcher when there are better players available to fill the injury void.

reds44
04-05-2007, 09:13 PM
I don't think that what Abner meant when asking the question.

My interpretation was that he wanted to know why those injured players necessitated carrying a third catcher when there are better players available to fill the injury void.
Like who exactly?

bucksfan2
04-06-2007, 08:52 AM
Like who exactly?

Its the opening day roster. If I remember correctly Andy Abad made the opening day roster last year.

sonny
04-06-2007, 09:37 AM
Its the opening day roster. If I remember correctly Andy Abad made the opening day roster last year.

He "earned" the right with his hitting last spring.

1 Tool Player
04-06-2007, 09:39 AM
I like the sound of "Moeller on Bench" better...

REDREAD
04-06-2007, 09:41 AM
Hard to fault the Reds for adding Moeller when Hopper and Deno went down.
I honestly can't think of anyone in the organization who would be better than Moeller, because we are that thin in position players.

With Bray, Milton, and Maj on the DL as well, there were plenty of extra pitcher slots as well.

sonny
04-06-2007, 09:42 AM
I like the sound of "Moeller on Bench" better...

Wonderful first Post! can someone give this dood rep?

:welcome:

BRM
04-06-2007, 09:46 AM
Hard to fault the Reds for adding Moeller when Hopper and Deno went down.
I honestly can't think of anyone in the organization who would be better than Moeller, because we are that thin in position players.

With Bray, Milton, and Maj on the DL as well, there were plenty of extra pitcher slots as well.

The other options were Crosby, Bellhorn, and Wise. Not much to choose from is there?

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
04-06-2007, 10:09 AM
The other options were Crosby, Bellhorn, and Wise. Not much to choose from is there?
Maybe Votto for a couple of weeks?

BRM
04-06-2007, 10:19 AM
I don't think they want Votto in Cincinnati until he's ready to be a regular starter.

REDREAD
04-06-2007, 11:38 AM

Yeah, I forgot about all three of those guys. That's the high esteem I hold them in. :) But thanks for filling that in. I honestly couldn't even think of the other options.

BRM
04-06-2007, 11:40 AM
Yeah, I forgot about all three of those guys. That's the high esteem I hold them in. :) But thanks for filling that in. I honestly couldn't even think of the other options.

Well, you said the Reds were thin in position players. I was just helping you make that point. :)

Razor Shines
04-06-2007, 11:44 AM

Yes. I would have much rather seen Bubba up here than Moeller. Yesterday we had Jeff Freakin' Conine as our only back up outfielder.

BRM
04-06-2007, 11:46 AM
Has "Freakin" become Conine's official middle name now?

Razor Shines
04-06-2007, 11:48 AM

I guess. I just go by what mlb.com has him listed as.

Tom Servo
04-06-2007, 11:48 AM
As I have pointed out the other day, it is impossible to come up with a middle name for Conine as memorable or cool as his real middle name, "Guy".

Always Red
04-06-2007, 11:51 AM
I think Bubba would be here if he were a RH bat, to go along with Hammy as the LH bat off the bench.

I think when Hopper's healthy, he's back and Moeller goes down.

BRM
04-06-2007, 11:52 AM
I guess. I just go by what mlb.com has him listed as.

I was just messing with you Razor.

Razor Shines
04-06-2007, 11:57 AM
I was just messing with you Razor.

I know and I was just kidding. mlb.com doesn't actually list him as Jeff Freakin' Conine.

BRM
04-06-2007, 12:01 PM
I know and I was just kidding. mlb.com doesn't actually list him as Jeff Freakin' Conine.

They should. Castro and Moeller should be listed with middle names of "Freakin" as well. That's how they are typically listed on here anyway.

George Anderson
04-06-2007, 12:48 PM

Well you do know that in Boston, Bucky Dent's middle name begins with an "F":D

Heath
04-06-2007, 02:02 PM
Well you do know that in Boston, Bucky Dent's middle name begins with an "F":D

Us midwesterners aren't so bold.....

:D

reds44
04-06-2007, 02:44 PM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'm also going to refer to him by his full name now because you told me that in the game thread.

Guy.

As I have pointed out the other day, it is impossible to come up with a middle name for Conine as memorable or cool as his real middle name, "Guy".