PDA

View Full Version : BILLY G. to KY.

BEETTLEBUG
04-06-2007, 08:52 AM
1:15pm Press Conference

cumberlandreds
04-06-2007, 09:02 AM
Here's a great article about Billy G. He looks like a near perfect fit to be UK basketball Coach. He eats,sleeps and drinks basketball. All UK fans should read this and should be very excited about this hire. Time will tell if this is a great hire but as of right now it is! He kinda reminds of a young coach UK hired back in 1989.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/colleges/texasam/stories/021107dnspoagcoach.189240a.html

dabvu2498
04-06-2007, 09:09 AM
Total years worked outside the state of Texas: 3

Total number of players on A+M's current roster not from the state of Texas: 2

BRM
04-06-2007, 09:11 AM
They blew it Razor. UK missed the boat by not hiring our guy. ;)

Red Leader
04-06-2007, 09:11 AM
So you're saying it is not Billy Donovan or Thad Matta? :dunno:

CrackerJack
04-06-2007, 09:13 AM
They were going to get them a Billy one way or another. :)

Unassisted
04-06-2007, 09:22 AM
The choice is not being received well by the fans on talk radio here. Billy G had just gotten a big bump in P.A.Y. to over $2 million, so they thought he was at A&M to stay. Being jilted at the foot of the money tree doesn't help their self-esteem, which was at an all-time high after 2 trips to the Sweet 16.

I heard a couple of weeks ago that Gillispie is a huge fan of horse racing. The lure of more money and the prospect of being at the center of the thoroughbred universe was too strong to resist.

BRM
04-06-2007, 09:24 AM
The choice is not being received well by the fans on talk radio here. Billy G had just gotten a big bump in P.A.Y. to over $2 million, so they thought he was at A&M to stay. Being jilted at the foot of the money tree doesn't help their self-esteem, which was at an all-time high after 2 trips to the Sweet 16.

I heard a couple of weeks ago that Gillispie is a huge fan of horse racing. The lure of more money and the prospect of being at the center of the thoroughbred universe was too strong to resist.

It apparently isn't being well received by some Cat fans either. A buddy from southern Indiana just emailed me and said all the Wildcat fans in his office are up in arms over this hire. He hasn't heard one UK fan defend the hire. I thought that was a little interesting.

Unassisted
04-06-2007, 09:28 AM
It apparently isn't being well received by some Cat fans either. A buddy from southern Indiana just emailed me and said all the Wildcat fans in his office are up in arms over this hire. He hasn't heard one UK fan defend the hire. I thought that was a little interesting.

Billy G. seems to have been the third choice, after Billy D. and Rick Barnes. He's a good coach, but they do appear to be settling.

BRM
04-06-2007, 09:36 AM
Billy G. seems to have been the third choice, after Billy D. and Rick Barnes. He's a good coach, but they do appear to be settling.

Barnes supposedly declined an interview as well, saying "why talk to someone who considers you a second choice coach".

Joseph
04-06-2007, 09:39 AM
I have to admit to knowing zero about Gillespie prior to his hiring [yeah I knew he was the A&M coach, but thats about it] but reading what I've read this morning and I feel comfortable. He's young, not married, and bleeds basketball. UK needs someone like that in my eyes.

Put me in the happy with the hire column.

macro
04-06-2007, 09:59 AM

Once Donovan said no, they were going to appear to be settling regardless of who they hired. I posted this last night, but Gillispie was my #2 choice behind Donovan, and I'm as happy as could be.

I'm not sure how big his office is, but I would consider that a small sample size. Everyone I've chatted with this morning is pleased. The worst thing I've heard about Gillispie is "I'm not familiar enough with him to have a strong opinion".

BRM
04-06-2007, 10:01 AM
I'm not sure how big his office is, but I would consider that a small sample size. Everyone I've chatted with this morning is pleased. The worst thing I've heard about Gillispie is "I'm not familiar enough with him to have a strong opinion".

Oh, it's definitely a small sample size but it's the only sample size I've got at the moment. :)

I would imagine most Kentucky fans would be pleased with this hire. There will undoubtedly be some that are just bitter over Donovan spurning them but most fans will be happy.

dabvu2498
04-06-2007, 10:04 AM
Everyone I've chatted with this morning is pleased.

I'll change that for you. :D

jmac
04-06-2007, 10:05 AM
Barnes supposedly declined an interview as well, saying "why talk to someone who considers you a second choice coach".

So if a "single" Rick Barnes meets his long time love ,Janet, (fictitious name)
who he loved all his life but she loved someone else.
Well Janet catches her guy cheating on her and calls up Barnes and says "Rick....how about it"

Would Rick say " No Janet....I was your 2nd choice" ?

Anyway....I am glad Mr Barnes(who I was not a big fan of) did this and I am okay with BG !

cincy jacket
04-06-2007, 10:07 AM
I am pleased with the hire. Like most, outside of knwoing he is the coach at A&M and the few articles I have read on him this morning, I don't know a whole lot about him. I do know a little about DeAndre Jordan though and am hoping like crazy that he hasn't signed a LOI to A&M and that he is going to be following Billy to UK.

EDIT: I just checked Rivals and it says the he has signed a LOI. Hopefully they will let him out of it and he will be willing to come to Lexington. That would fill the void left by Morris very nicely.

Blimpie
04-06-2007, 10:29 AM
For those who feel that way, perhaps this will help. FWIW, since I heard about this at 7:00AM today, I have heard nothing but optomism about the Gillispie hire....

http://www.kentucky.com/254/story/35763.html

Posted on Fri, Apr. 06, 2007
Kentucky to name Gillispie basketball coach
By Jerry Tipton

Kentucky might have found a coach who loves basketball as passionately as its fans do.
In his meteoric rise through the coaching ranks, Billy Clyde Gillispie has gained a reputation as someone who lives, eats and breathes the sport.

A recent profile of the coach in The New York Times said the cliché about being married to a job fit Gillispie. Divorced with no children, he’s got the time to devote all his energies to the job.

It shows.

Gillispie, who sports a won-loss record of 100-58 in five seasons, has revived basketball programs at Texas-El Paso and Texas A&M in his short but spectacular coaching career. At each stop, he manufactured the biggest one-season improvement in college basketball.

His first UTEP team had a 6-24 record. His second went 24-8 and won the Western Athletic Conference.

His reward was another reclamation project, this time at Texas A&M. Gillispie inherited a team that went 7-21 the season before he arrived. His first A&M team went 21-10, making Gillispie the first coach in Division I history to have the country’s most-improved record in back-to-back seasons.

Texas A&M had a school record 27-7 record this past season, which included a top-10 ranking and advancement to the NCAA Tournament Sweet 16.

In describing Gillispie’s single-minded devotion to the job, The New York Times noted that he drinks Dr. Pepper for breakfast, isn’t sure about his sister’s last name and “is so tough on his players that his mother swears she would not play for him.”

Gillispie, 47, noted his “unbalanced” life in an interview with Times sportswriter Pete Thamel. Gillispie grew up in Graford, Texas, a central Texas town too small (population 578) to let football capture the people’s imagination. Basketball, which requires fewer players and less equipment, became the town’s sport.

His father, Clyde, drove a cattle truck. His mother, Wimpy, still works as a checkout clerk at Morrow Grocery. His sister, Jerry Hoffman, coaches girls basketball at an east Texas high school.

A high school point guard, Gillispie attended Ranger College, a junior college in Texas. He began his coaching career as a team manager at Sam Houston State.

Gillispie, who has made 10 job changes in the past 19 years, got his big break when Bill Self hired him from Baylor to be an assistant at Tulsa. He followed Self to Illinois, where he was credited with recruiting the core players on the Illini’s 2005 Final Four team.

St. John’s Coach Norm Roberts, who worked on the same Illinois staff, has recalled how Gillispie had 50 or 60 hand-written recruiting letters stacked behind his desk each day. “And they were all different,” Roberts told The New York Times.

Blimpie
04-06-2007, 10:34 AM
I heard a couple of weeks ago that Gillispie is a huge fan of horse racing. The lure of more money and the prospect of being at the center of the thoroughbred universe was too strong to resist.It has been reported that Gillispie is an avid horse racing fan who regularly attends the Kentucky Derby. At this year's Final Four, he was quoted how he hit a 47-1 long shot with Lemons Forever in last year’s Kentucky Oaks.

Chip R
04-06-2007, 10:35 AM
Dibs on Firebillygillispie.com

BRM
04-06-2007, 10:37 AM
Dibs on Firebillygillispie.com

How long before that site takes off?

dabvu2498
04-06-2007, 10:39 AM
How long before that site takes off?

When is next year's Louisville game?

jmac
04-06-2007, 10:42 AM
Hopefully Billy the G will bring Jordan with him (if allowed out of his LOI).

BRM
When is next year's Louisville game?

As loss to the Cardinals and the sky will be falling, huh?

dabvu2498
As loss to the Cardinals and the sky will be falling, huh?

Yup. Bet on it.

Blimpie
04-06-2007, 10:43 AM
When is next year's Louisville game?Is that kinda like, "Who is buried in Grant's Tomb?"

:D

Blimpie
04-06-2007, 10:44 AM
Hopefully Billy the G will bring Jordan with him (if allowed out of his LOI)."Billy the G"?

No offense, but for the love of God...I hope that nickname does not stick.

Joseph
04-06-2007, 11:00 AM
Remind me to apologize to OSU fans some time. This is the worst beating I've ever taken for being a fan of a team that was actually any good.

BRM
04-06-2007, 11:03 AM
Remind me to apologize to OSU fans some time. This is the worst beating I've ever taken for being a fan of a team that was actually any good.

What beating are you taking?

jmac
04-06-2007, 11:19 AM
"Billy the G"?

No offense, but for the love of God...I hope that nickname does not stick.

How about ....BGill....you know, like J-Lo but it would be B-Gill ?

Or the "Great Gillispie ".....BillyG......I am open for suggestions...

Razor Shines
04-06-2007, 11:29 AM
They blew it Razor. UK missed the boat by not hiring our guy. ;)

Mike Davis is a great coach and UK is missing out big time. DUMB.

BRM
04-06-2007, 11:37 AM
Mike Davis is a great coach and UK is missing out big time. DUMB.

They will live to regret this decision.

Blimpie
04-06-2007, 11:42 AM
How about ....BGill....you know, like J-Lo but it would be B-Gill ?

Or the "Great Gillispie ".....BillyG......I am open for suggestions...Believe it or not, he likes to be called by his given name: Billy Clyde Gillispie...:confused:

BTW, the local news just showed him entering Memorial Coliseum for the pep ralley / press conference.

I guess that should dispell the rumors that he was on a plane to CA to attend the award ceremony with Acie Law....

WMR
04-06-2007, 11:44 AM
What beating are you taking?

Where's my bug spray???

I'm happy. Sounds like a good hire.

BRM
04-06-2007, 11:45 AM
Where's my bug spray???

I'm happy. Sounds like a good hire.

Why must you be so mean to me? :cry:

This is tough for me because I actually like Gillispie. It will be hard to root against him but I'm confident I'll find a way. :)

WMR
04-06-2007, 11:46 AM
LOL BRM

How's Billy as a recruiter?

Razor Shines
04-06-2007, 11:46 AM
I can't believe they were able to drag Billy Clyde away from A&M. You mean he would rather live in Lexington than the flat nothingness of College Station?

Blimpie
04-06-2007, 11:50 AM
LOL BRM

How's Billy as a recruiter?Top 15 National class three years straight...

Rivals # 8 overall pick this year has signed his LOI with A&M. If they let him out of his committment, he will be UK's starting center next year.

He has dominated recruiting in Texas since being at A&M. We'll see how successful he will be at luring some of that talent across the country.

BRM
04-06-2007, 11:51 AM
A little tidbit from Rivals.com:

Gillispie will bring to Lexington an impressive resume for building something from nothing. At Texas-El Paso, the coach improved a team from 6-24 to 24-8 the very next season. During his first season at Texas A&M in 2005, Gillispie inherited a 7-21 team that finished 21-10.

This past season, Texas A&M finished 22-9 and advanced to the NCAA Sweet 16. Ironically, his last victory this season was an NCAA Tournament win over Louisville at Lexington's Rupp Arena. He is 67-25 in his last three seasons, including a 49-6 mark in home games.

And...

Gillispie, 47, is a native of Graford, Texas, and is regarded as a tireless recruiter whose classes have been among the top 15 the past three years. He has spent most of his high school and college coaching career in the Lone Star State. A notable stint outside Texas were the years he served as an assistant to current Kansas head coach Bill Self during his time at Tulsa and Illinois.

Razor Shines
04-06-2007, 11:54 AM
I think this is a horrible hire for anyone who doesn't like Kentucky.

BRM
04-06-2007, 11:55 AM
I think this is a horrible hire for anyone who doesn't like Kentucky.

I agree 100%.

Blimpie
04-06-2007, 12:14 PM
As WKYT has just interviewed Billy Gillispie prior to the actual press conference, thought you might like to hear a few tidbits:

-Gillispie says that the UK basketball coaching job is "one of the best jobs--not just in basketball--but in all of sports"

On his offense:

-"I like the three point attack, but the current players will determine the style of play"

-UK "now has backcourt players who have the ability to attack with the basketball"

-UK "will play as fast of an offensive style that their abilities will allow."

-UK's Frontcourt "will be extremely young and he cannot wait to finish up the recruiting in this area. We have work to do in this area. I will start as soon as this interview is over."

On Texas A&M prized recruit DeAndre Jordan playing at UK, he was tight-lipped:

-"You will have to talk to him about that.."

-"He will be a great player at A&M"

-"I am sure that his future lies at A&M"

On his propensity for program turnarounds:

-"Players enabled all of my turnarounds at other schools. Good character comes from examples set at the coaching level, but talent is irreplacable"

On the pressure at coaching at UK:

"It would be hard to coach more than 24 hours per day. That's what I do now. I know that probably isn't right--but that's the way I do it."

"My job here is to cut down nets. Period. I knew that when I took the job."

Blimpie
04-06-2007, 12:20 PM
Mitch Barnhardt should never speak at a pep rally again. Ever.

He said about 20 words and I could not wait for him to hand the microphone to Gillispie.

Just painful....like, Mike Madsen dancing at a victory parade painful.

Blimpie
04-06-2007, 12:21 PM
Something tells me that Gillispie still needs to learn the words to the UK fight song.

Blimpie
04-06-2007, 12:23 PM
Gillispie could set fire to Care Bears right now and these people would give him a standing ovation.

(cue the chants) "Bill-lee, Bill-lee, Bill-lee"

They interrupted the soap operas for this?

I'm going back to work.

WMR
04-06-2007, 12:37 PM
LOL Thanks for the reports, Blimp!! Sounds like a man just as bball obsessed as his fan base! :) :D

Blimpie
04-06-2007, 12:40 PM
LOL Thanks for the reports, Blimp!! Sounds like a man just as bball obsessed as his fan base! :) :DI think he was a little overwhelmed to see a few thousand people crammed in to Memorial for a pep rally that was announced just 3-4 hours ago.

WMR
04-06-2007, 12:42 PM
Mitch Barnhardt should never speak at a pep rally again. Ever.

He said about 20 words and I could not wait for him to hand the microphone to Gillispie.

Just painful....like, Mike Madsen dancing at a victory parade painful.

http://sportsmed.starwave.com/media/pg2/2002/0620/photo/madsen_i.jpg

WMR
04-06-2007, 12:42 PM
I think he was a little overwhelmed to see a few thousand people crammed in to Memorial for a pep rally that was announced just 3-4 hours ago.

Yeah he better get used to it.

WMR
04-06-2007, 12:43 PM
Wonder if that DeAndre kid will ask to be released from his LOI?

BRM
04-06-2007, 12:45 PM
Wonder if that DeAndre kid will ask to be released from his LOI?

I heard he's pretty angry that Gillispie left A&M. He's asking to be released from his LOI so he can go to Indiana and stick it to Billy. :evil:

Blimpie
04-06-2007, 12:48 PM
Wonder if that DeAndre kid will ask to be released from his LOI?Oh, I feel certain he will ask. The kid is only inked with A&M because of Gillispie.

Now, whether or not the Texas A&M AD wants to help the guy who jilted them seven days after agreeing to a contract extension is another story all together.

WMR
04-06-2007, 12:54 PM
I heard he's pretty angry that Gillispie left A&M. He's asking to be released from his LOI so he can go to Indiana and stick it to Billy. :evil:

Do we play Indiana next year or was that yearly match-up concluded after this past season?

WMR
04-06-2007, 12:55 PM
Oh, I feel certain he will ask. The kid is only inked with A&M because of Gillispie.

Now, whether or not the Texas A&M AD wants to help the guy who jilted them seven days after agreeing to a contract extension is another story all together.

Are kids ever unallowed to leave after signing their LOI when the coach that recruited them leaves? I've heard of them being prevented from going anywhere within conference, but could they say that he couldn't follow his coach?

BRM
04-06-2007, 12:56 PM
Do we play Indiana next year or was that yearly match-up concluded after this past season?

I don't know. Good question.

WMR
04-06-2007, 12:57 PM
I don't know. Good question.

I hope so! Kicking your butts next season will take on a whole new significance after this and the Billy D thread!!! :evil: :evil:

BRM
04-06-2007, 12:59 PM
I hope so! Kicking your butts next season will take on a whole new significance after this and the Billy D thread!!! :evil: :evil:

Now you're dreaming.

rdiersin
04-06-2007, 12:59 PM

IU losing is always fun to watch, even if it is UK doing the winning. ;)

Oh, to stay on topic, this seems to be a good hire for UK. A pretty good match.

WMR
04-06-2007, 01:00 PM
IU losing is always fun to watch, even if it is UK doing the winning. ;)

Hahahahaha Who do you like?

Razor Shines
04-06-2007, 01:00 PM

ERIC GORDON STOMP STOMP CLAP CLAP CLAP

WMR
04-06-2007, 01:01 PM
Now you're dreaming.

What's that all-time UK vs. IU record one more time? :evil: :devil:

BRM
04-06-2007, 01:03 PM
ERIC GORDON STOMP STOMP CLAP CLAP CLAP

:thumbup:

WMR
04-06-2007, 01:04 PM
What's that all-time UK vs. IU record one more time? :evil: :devil:

13-3 over the last 16 ... not too shabby. :evil:

BRM
04-06-2007, 01:05 PM

Yeah, but Indiana won five in a row back in the 70s...

BRM
04-06-2007, 01:05 PM

That's about to change with recruiting genius Kelvin Sampson at the helm. :p:

WMR
04-06-2007, 01:07 PM
Yeah just tell him to watch his cell phone "minutes" if you know what I'm saying. :laugh:

Blimpie
04-06-2007, 01:08 PM
Do we play Indiana next year or was that yearly match-up concluded after this past season?They are always on the schedule.

The only discussion I have heard recently was if they would move the venues to alternating between the actual home courts (Lexington/Bloomington) versus the "neutral" sites (Louisville/Indianapolis)

Blimpie
04-06-2007, 01:12 PM
Yeah, but Indiana won five in a row back in the 70s...But they lost the one that mattered most on March 22, 1975.

My dad still has the game ball.

Razor Shines
04-06-2007, 01:16 PM
But they lost the one that mattered most on March 22, 1975.

How they lost with Kent Benson getting 33 pts and 23 rebs, I don't know.

How did he get the ball? Was he on the team?

Blimpie
04-06-2007, 01:23 PM
How they lost with Kent Benson getting 33 pts and 23 rebs, I don't know.

How did he get the ball? Was he on the team?Actually, that year was one of the first years that they conducted the "Big Blue Bash" charity auction (now an annual event done by Cardinal Hill Rehabilitation Hospital).

My dad became obsessed with following the team during the 1970s and went to all of the big NCAA tourney games during that era. His winning bid was a jaw-dropping $500 back then.

The ball is autographed by all of the UK players and coaches who were on that team. The head referee in the game even took a ballpoint pen and wrote the final score along the center seam: 92-90

Chip R
04-06-2007, 01:24 PM
Yeah just tell him to watch his cell phone "minutes" if you know what I'm saying. :laugh:

He'll be OK as long as the bill doesn't come in an Emory Express package. :D

Blimpie
04-06-2007, 01:25 PM
He'll be OK as long as the bill doesn't come in a Fed Ex package. :DActually, it was Emory Freight...but we get the point. :D

DTCromer
04-06-2007, 01:25 PM
Yeah, but Indiana won five in a row back in the 70s...

That's something taken right out of the Kentucky fans' pages. This is what bothers me about a lot of teams' fans. These fans will brag about titles they won when they weren't even born! Unfortunately, I'm a UC fan but I don't freaking brag about winning NC's in the 1960's. Young fans at UK, IU, and other tradition schools with brag about going to a Final Four in the 1960's or 70's.

As for the hire of BG, he was the 2nd best option behind BD and I think UK did AWESOME for themselves. UK fans will never be pleased. They could've hired Jesus to coach the team and all they would complain how he wouldn't recruit a 5 star 6'4" shooting guard because he skipped church last week.

Razor Shines
04-06-2007, 01:26 PM
Actually, that year was one of the first years that they conducted the "Big Blue Bash" charity auction (now an annual event done by Cardinal Hill Rehabilitation Hospital).

My dad became obsessed with following the team during the 1970s and went to all of the big NCAA tourney games during that era. His winning bid was a jaw-dropping $500 back then.

The ball is autographed by all of the UK players and coaches who were on that team. The head referee in the game even took a ballpoint pen and wrote the final score along the center seam: 92-90

Wow. That'd be quite a piece of memorabilia to have, well for a UK fan anyway.

Blimpie
04-06-2007, 01:28 PM
Wow. That'd be quite a piece of memorabilia to have, well for a UK fan anyway.I have often told my father that it is the only thing of his that I want after he departs the Earth.

BRM
04-06-2007, 01:29 PM
That's something taken right out of the Kentucky fans' pages. This is what bothers me about a lot of teams' fans. These fans will brag about titles they won when they weren't even born! Unfortunately, I'm a UC fan but I don't freaking brag about winning NC's in the 1960's. Young fans at UK, IU, and other tradition schools with brag about going to a Final Four in the 1960's or 70's.

Easy there big fella, it was a joke. I was simply acknowledging the fact that IU hasn't had the upper hand on the Wildcats for a very long time.

By the way, I was alive and a fan during all three of Bob Knight's championship runs. Of course, I was only five for the first one. :)

Razor Shines
04-06-2007, 01:29 PM

As for the hire of BG, he was the 2nd best option behind BD and I think UK did AWESOME for themselves. UK fans will never be pleased. They could've hired Jesus to coach the team and all they would complain how he wouldn't recruit a 5 star 6'4" shooting guard because he skipped church last week.

Well if you want to get techincal about it why do any of us brag about anything a team or school that we like does? We have absolutely nothing to do with it. I think it's good to be proud of what you're school did in the past. And by the way both UK and IU have won titles since the 60's and 70's.

BRM
04-06-2007, 01:31 PM
And by the way both UK and IU have won titles since the 60's and 70's.

Don't let facts get in the way of a good rant. ;)

WMR
04-06-2007, 01:32 PM

I'll tell you how many championships we've won as a program and what the glorious history of our program means to me all day long... but as far as bragging about past endeavors? OH YEAH YOU SHOULD"VE SEEN THAT 49 RUPP TEAM DAMN WE KICKED EVERYBODY'S BUTTS?? not so much.

96 & 98? You bet your *** I'll brag about those teams all day long.

UK fans will never be pleased. They could've hired Jesus to coach the team and all they would complain how he wouldn't recruit a 5 star 6'4" shooting guard because he skipped church last week.

:rolleyes:

Not true. Not true at all. UK fans demand a lot, but when a coach wins here, he is deified. UK fans demand consistent excellency, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

WMR
04-06-2007, 01:33 PM
Actually, that year was one of the first years that they conducted the "Big Blue Bash" charity auction (now an annual event done by Cardinal Hill Rehabilitation Hospital).

Wow that's awesome, Blimp.

Chip R
04-06-2007, 01:36 PM
Actually, it was Emory Freight...but we get the point. :D

Quit editing my stuff to make me look bad! ;)

macro
04-06-2007, 01:41 PM
UK fans will never be pleased. They could've hired Jesus to coach the team and all they would complain how he wouldn't recruit a 5 star 6'4" shooting guard because he skipped church last week.

UK fans are impossible to please. They get to enjoy five 10- to 12-loss seasons in the past nine years, and yet they complain. They watch their team accomplish two straight #8 seeds (the first time since the NCAA began seeding the tournament in the 1970s that the program has had two straight years of being seeded #8 or lower), and that's not good enough. They watch nine straight Final Fours come and go without their favorite team involved, the longest streak in the history of the institution, and yet they can find no joy in it. I could go on and on, but we've heard all this before. Bottom line, fans at places like Duke, Louisville, NC, Kansas, and UCLA would be tickled to death with 12 losses a year, but Kentucky fans have to be difficult.

:evil:

WMR
04-06-2007, 01:44 PM
UK fans are impossible to please. They get to enjoy five 10- to 12-loss seasons in the past nine years, and yet they complain. They watch their team accomplish two straight #8 seeds (the first time since the NCAA began seeding the tournament in the 1970s that the program has had two straight years of being seeded #8 or lower), and that's not good enough. They watch nine straight Final Fours come and go without their favorite team involved, the longest streak in the history of the institution, and yet they can find no joy in it. I could go on and on, but we've heard all this before. Bottom line, fans at places like Duke, Louisville, NC, Kansas, and UCLA would be tickled to death with 12 losses a year, but Kentucky fans have to be difficult.

http://www.z06vette.com/gallery/data/500/2699notworthy.jpg

"We're not worthy! We're not worthy! We're not worthy!"

Matt700wlw
04-06-2007, 02:28 PM
How long is his window before he gets run out of town?

Sorry. :)

Roy Tucker
04-06-2007, 02:45 PM
But they lost the one that mattered most on March 22, 1975.

UD Arena. I sat between the IU and UK bands at that game. Their fight songs were embedded in my brain for weeks.

LoganBuck
04-06-2007, 03:04 PM
Are kids ever unallowed to leave after signing their LOI when the coach that recruited them leaves? I've heard of them being prevented from going anywhere within conference, but could they say that he couldn't follow his coach?

The rules vary from conference to conference, and from school to school.

With a coach change kids have to receive the blessing of the signing school to get a release from the LOI. This happened with UC after Huggins left and the Johnson kid left.

Some conferences won't let players transfer between schools in conference, and stay on scholarship.

Some schools will not release players from LOI or scholarship. The kids would have to sit out the year. Current scholarship players would not be allowed to leave until after the school year ends, and then they would have to sit out the following season. Some schools will release kids to some schools but not others.

Blimpie
04-06-2007, 03:14 PM
UD Arena. I sat between the IU and UK bands at that game. Their fight songs were embedded in my brain for weeks.You are so lucky! The old man went to the game with some co-workers. Because I was only seven at the time, I had to listen to Cawood Ledford on the radio.

On second thought, maybe I was lucky. Cawood's voice would sound pretty good to me about now.

macro
04-06-2007, 03:31 PM
How long is his window before he gets run out of town?

To save some keystrokes, I'll just provide a link to this (http://www.redszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1287753&postcount=81). :)

Blimpie
04-06-2007, 03:32 PM
I had not seen this posted on the thread yet, but here are the details about the coinage:

The former Texas A&M coach succeeds Tubby Smith and agreed to a seven-year contract that will pay him $2.3 million a year in base salary, athletic department spokesman Scott Stricklin said. Gillispie could earn performance incentives up to $750,000 a year and academic incentives of up to $100,000.

Matt700wlw
04-06-2007, 03:33 PM
To save some keystrokes, I'll just provide a link to this (http://www.redszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1287753&postcount=81). :)

Fair enough. :)

Johnny Footstool
04-06-2007, 03:33 PM
These past two days have absolutlely killed the Big 12. KU's RPI will go straight into the flusher.

TeamSelig
04-06-2007, 07:04 PM
I didn't really like the signing at first, but after I listened to what they were saying about him, I bought into it. "tenacious recruiter" is how he was described... sounds good to me :)

TeamSelig
04-06-2007, 07:51 PM
Any idea on who his assistants will be? Will he hire new ones or bring his A&M ones here, what?

Edit: Also, with BG being a great recruiter, is there any chance Patrick Patterson could still come to UK?

WVRed
04-06-2007, 08:04 PM
I didn't really like the signing at first, but after I listened to what they were saying about him, I bought into it. "tenacious recruiter" is how he was described... sounds good to me :)

Problem is, Gillespie's recruiting hasn't extended much outside of Texas. DeAndre Jordan is the best recruit Gillespie lined up, but that was before he left to Kentucky.

I think Patterson is all but gone to Florida, although I wouldn't be surprised if WVU pops up.

Blimpie
04-06-2007, 08:43 PM
Problem is, Gillespie's recruiting hasn't extended much outside of Texas. DeAndre Jordan is the best recruit Gillespie lined up, but that was before he left to Kentucky.

I think Patterson is all but gone to Florida, although I wouldn't be surprised if WVU pops up.Patterson's mom (who gets more media coverage than Ryan Seacrest at this stage) was quoted as saying she was "very pleased" by Donovan's decision to stay put. Take that for what it is worth.

On the other hand, The Jai Lucas Sweepstakes may still be alive for UK. Being from Texas, Lucas said that UK "got a steal" today when they hired Billy Gillispie. Again, take that for what it is worth.

By the way, I agree with WVRed in that Huggins may swoop in and get both of them. Wouldn't surprise me in the least.

macro
04-06-2007, 10:34 PM

I'm not sure that matters, WV. If he can recruit in Texas, he can recruit in other states. Some today have credited him with recruiting the players that made Illinois a powerhouse a couple of years ago. Is there an element to this that I'm not getting?

KYRedsFan
04-07-2007, 01:32 PM
Did he get a deal on Donovan's farm that BD bought last week?

jmac
04-07-2007, 02:54 PM
I'm not sure that matters, WV. If he can recruit in Texas, he can recruit in other states. Some today have credited him with recruiting the players that made Illinois a powerhouse a couple of years ago. Is there an element to this that I'm not getting?

He was Self's main man at ILL.

George Foster
04-07-2007, 08:28 PM
The rules vary from conference to conference, and from school to school.

With a coach change kids have to receive the blessing of the signing school to get a release from the LOI. This happened with UC after Huggins left and the Johnson kid left.

Some conferences won't let players transfer between schools in conference, and stay on scholarship.

Some schools will not release players from LOI or scholarship. The kids would have to sit out the year. Current scholarship players would not be allowed to leave until after the school year ends, and then they would have to sit out the following season. Some schools will release kids to some schools but not others.

The kids have a lot more leverage. If they would not release me from my scholarship, no one says I have to play. I would say I was injured, get a free year of school, and still have 4 years of basketball left. I promise you, once I made my intentions known....I would get released. They don't want to waste a scholarship for a year.

WVRed
04-07-2007, 09:45 PM
Is there an element to this that I'm not getting?

I'm not a big fan of the JUCO route, which Gillispie seemed to play off of at TAMU.

We haven't had the greatest success with them either, Rekalin Sims and Antwain Barbour, to name two.

WVRed
04-07-2007, 09:55 PM
Here is a summary of Billy G over on Rivals.com. I wonder how well this will sit with Ramel Bradley.:)

For what it's worth, I've seen numerous practices and every game while Gillispie was at UTEP, and most of his games at A&M. Here is a bit of a synopsis of what UK fans can expect:

Offensively, Gillispie lives by a few rules: play hard, play smart, share the basketball, take good shots, hit the glass, and value each and every posession. If a guy has a propensity to turn it over, he will not play. If a guy takes bad shots, he will not play. Gillispie breaks players of poor offensive habits from day 1 in practice and then turns them into the type of offensive players that their ability allows them to become, all within the structure of his offensive scheme.

Scheme wise, you can expect to see an offensive attack very similar to the scheme run at Kansas. A number of man-to-man sets are identical. Out of bounds plays are designed to score. His zone offenses are very good, whether it be against an odd-man or even-man front, or against a match-up. He insists on the ball getting to the block against a zone, and he usually has at least a couple of guys with good back-to-the-basket skills who make good decisions. He only recruits gaurds who have legitimate range from 20 ft, so teams will not be able to collapse on the bigs. Overall, his offensive style is based on the talent he has. He likes to push it on most posessions, but is more than happy to let his half-court offense produce open looks. I think that will be the biggest difference that you will see between UK of the past few years compared to next year and the years after that. He does not allow for a ton of one-on-one play, as that tends to lead to selfishness, poor shot selection, and turnovers. One other thing: he is a HUGE believer in a pure point gaurd. Iverson types need not apply.

Defensively, he's mostly a man-to-man guy. He'll throw an occasional 2-3 or matchup at teams, and every once in a great while, he'll throw in a little gimmick like triangle and 2, or box and 1 for a couple of posessions. But 90% of the time, he wants to take opponents heads up. His defensive philosophy will start to take place in mid October when practice starts with his "boot camp." Guys will learn to play harder for a longer period of time than they have before.

Recruiting wise, his track record speaks for itself. Your talent level will increase by leaps and bounds compared to the Tubby era.

The best thing that I can say about Gillispie is that he does not have to have the best athletes or the best talent to win. He is a very good bench coach and knows how to put 5 guys on the floor who can play at a high level together. You'll see a couple of role players who will do their job well.

Guys, you have a great one taking over the reigns at UK. With regard to scheme, bench coaching, recruiting, motivation, etc., I'm not sure I would trade Gillispie for anyone. Sorry for the long post. It's nice to have some hoops to talk about even though the tourney is over.

WMR
04-07-2007, 10:04 PM
I'm not a big fan of the JUCO route, which Gillispie seemed to play off of at TAMU.

We haven't had the greatest success with them either, Rekalin Sims and Antwain Barbour, to name two.

WV, considering he was a JUCO, I'd call Antwain Barbour's career at UK a success. He was a heckuva player his senior year.

George Foster
04-08-2007, 11:41 PM
WV, considering he was a JUCO, I'd call Antwain Barbour's career at UK a success. He was a heckuva player his senior year.

You have to consider who was recruiting the JUCO's the last 9 years....Tubby:laugh:

There are PLENTY of JUCO players out there who could help make up the loss of Morris. Perry and Thomas was a liability anyway and I am glad they are gone. Stevenson will fill the shows of Thomas very nicely, and Meeks will start as well. I look for us starting 3 guards next year.

TeamSelig
04-09-2007, 12:03 AM
Is there a good UK bball website out there?

Whats our lineup looking like for next year?

G Bradley SR
G Crawford SR
G Meeks SO
F Stevenson SO
C Carter JR

Yuck.

dabvu2498
04-09-2007, 08:32 AM
I'd heard these rumors before the hire (specifically when Billy G. was linked to the Arky job), but they were confirmed by the C-J this weekend: http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070407/SPORTS03/704070505

macro
04-09-2007, 08:33 AM

TS, I started visiting this site in the past two weeks:

http://kentucky.rivals.com/forum.asp

It's not moderated much, though.

cumberlandreds
04-09-2007, 09:06 AM

Whats our lineup looking like for next year?

G Bradley SR
G Crawford SR
G Meeks SO
F Stevenson SO
C Carter JR

Yuck.

WWW.WildcatNation.Net is a good site. Better and more intelligent posts than Rivals,IMO.

macro
04-09-2007, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the tip, cumberland. I'll move over there. I wasn't enjoying the rivals board much.

TeamSelig
04-09-2007, 11:11 AM
Wow two DWIs? Maybe this accounts for his marriage ending than being obsessed w/ college basketball?

durl
04-09-2007, 12:49 PM

Ask Brad Daugherty what UNC fans think about losing.
Ask Denny Crum what Louisville fans think about losing.

Kentucky fans can be pleased. It doesn't take a Final Four every year, but it does take consistent play from good recruits. Kentucky has had neither for several years and Tubby was unwilling to adapt.

When you have a rich tradition of winning and tons of money poured into the program you should expect to be among the elite programs in the nation. There have been numerous posts regarding the slide under Tubby (lack of top recruits, huge number of transfers out, boring style of play) that explain why fans were upset with the team.

WVRed
04-09-2007, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the tip, cumberland. I'll move over there. I wasn't enjoying the rivals board much.

WildcatInsiders.com is pretty good, but one of the "insiders" there is so negative that its not funny.

The DWI's scare me. While Tubby had his faults, he was a good family man who I think many in the Bluegrass Nation would respect. Gillispie I fear could be another Eddie Sutton in terms of lifestyle.

dabvu2498
04-10-2007, 01:28 PM
Billy G. got his first recruiting commitment at UK today: G.J. Vilarino -- PG

Of course, he's only a soph.

Guess where he's from... TEXAS!

WMR
04-10-2007, 01:48 PM
What's the book on him? Is he highly touted?

dabvu2498
04-10-2007, 01:56 PM
What's the book on him? Is he highly touted?

He's 5'9. Ranked somewhere in the high teens-twenties by the services.

WMR
04-10-2007, 02:16 PM
Is that ranking at his position within his class?

dabvu2498
04-10-2007, 02:24 PM
Is that ranking at his position within his class?

Within the class (regardless of position).

Slyder
04-10-2007, 02:33 PM

WVU got a lets see.... 4th choice coach last time when they got John Beilien. I think its safe to say it was a good choice.

WVRed
04-10-2007, 09:12 PM
Within the class (regardless of position).

Kentucky is also looking to land Willie Warren (http://http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=1763204) and KC Wells(a top freshman PG).

One thing to keep in mind on these recruits, things can change very quickly, and a commitment at this time can only be taken with a grain of salt. Brandon Jennings, who had originally committed to USC to follow after Mayo, has already re-opened his commitment to include Arizona and UConn.

If we can get Willie Warren and Darius Miller, things will definitely be on the upswing.

WMR
04-10-2007, 09:15 PM
A coach who can recruit!!!

Praise the Lord!

BRM
04-11-2007, 09:20 AM
A coach who can recruit!!!

Praise the Lord!

Well, Billy is no Mike Davis when it comes to recruiting but he's still pretty good. ;)

WMR
04-11-2007, 04:36 PM
I saw Mickie DeMoss resigned today. Anyone have any dirt / know why this happened?

WMR
04-11-2007, 04:59 PM
Just read on another forum that Texas A&M will release DeAndre Jordan from his LOI and that he will follow BG to UK... said it was reported on 1570.

dabvu2498
04-11-2007, 05:01 PM
I saw Mickie DeMoss resigned today. Anyone have any dirt / know why this happened?

Sounds like burnout.

WMR
04-11-2007, 05:02 PM
I was wondering if it could have been a Pokie Chatman type of thing.

I've heard from several she's of that persuasion.

dabvu2498
04-11-2007, 05:05 PM
I was wondering if it could have been a Pokie Chatman type of thing.

I've heard from several she's of that persuasion.

Based on how she looked at the presser today, it may be a health issue.

WMR
04-11-2007, 05:06 PM
Well I certainly wish her the best of luck, she did good work at UK.

dabvu2498
04-11-2007, 05:07 PM
Well I certainly wish her the best of luck, she did good work at UK.

Agreed. I thought what she did last year was pretty much impossible.

BRM
04-11-2007, 05:07 PM
Just read on another forum that Texas A&M will release DeAndre Jordan from his LOI and that he will follow BG to UK... said it was reported on 1570.

Interesting. I read earlier this morning that he was likely to end up at Texas. This is good news for UK fans if true.

WMR
04-11-2007, 05:11 PM
BRM, it would be huge.

BRM
04-11-2007, 05:15 PM
BRM, it would be huge.

It would also add another reason to hate the 'Cats. :p:

WMR
04-11-2007, 05:23 PM
April 10, 2007
Kentucky adds top thirty sophomore point...
By Van Coleman van@hoopmasters.com

The Billy Gillespie era begins at kentucky with the commitment of 6-foot 1 sophomore point G.J. Vialrino becoming his first Wildcat commitment...

According to a source close to the progrm, and confirmed bu the Lexington Herald Leader, our No. 26-rated sophomore 6-foot 1 point guard G.J. Vilarino from McKinney, TX has become the first recruit of the Billy Gillespie era at Kentucky.

"Hey when Kentucky calls, you don't put them on hold," Gerry Vilarino told the Herald Leader. "Kentucky is a lifetime opportunity. Not may guys get the privilege of playing for Kentucky and playing for Coach Gillespie."

Vilarino is a heady point with good quicks and range to the NBA arc. He ran the show with confidence for the Texas select this past weekend. He sees the court and can really deliver the rock in transition. Look for him to continue to develop into a quality point guard down the road for the Wildcats.

He chose Kentucky over Purdue, Illinois, Kansas, Texas A&M, Florida, and Baylor.

BRM
04-11-2007, 05:26 PM
Sampson must have run out of cell phone minutes.

rdiersin
04-11-2007, 05:35 PM
April 10, 2007
[SIZE="5"]
[B]He chose Kentucky over Purdue, Illinois, Kansas, Texas A&M, Florida, and Baylor.

Huh, that's encouraging (in a wierd way) for me that Purdue was even in there with those other teams. Maybe we actually have a coach that can recruit in Painter. He has a good class coming in next year. Its like a bizzaro world.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

Blimpie
04-11-2007, 09:37 PM
Interesting. I read earlier this morning that he was likely to end up at Texas. This is good news for UK fans if true.If he (Jordan) came to UK, he would immediately become the starting center for next year as a Freshman. But forget about DeAndre Jordan....

Tomorrow, all eyes SHOULD be turning to Stephon Pettigrew. He is the phenom from Elizabethtown, KY (Hardin County) who was just awarded Mr. Kentucky. I have a few friends from the E'town area who have been telling me about him since he was in the 9th grade. I have been watching him closely for the last two years. This kid can P-L-A-Y.

I have been furious all year long with Tubby for ignoring him. Meanwhile, all he has ever wanted to do is play for UK. I believe that--thusfar--UK has only contacted him via an Assistant Coach. That is inexplicable to me. Granted, Rick Pitino hasn't exactly been beating his door down either. I cannot explain it. The kid is all heart and puts up big numbers.

Sounds like Gillispie has been stepping up the courtship immensely over the last few days. Pettigrew was on the radio tonight and he sounded ecstatic that UK was finally paying attention to him. Up until recently, he had resigned himself to only receiving a scholarship offer from Ole Miss (I think). UK is no longer mentioning the concept of him being a "walk on" next year, so I suspect we will close the deal on him post haste.

By the way, Jai Lucas has his final official visit this weekend in Gainesville with Billy Donovan. I would expect that UK is still in good standing with Lucas even if Patterson signs with Florida (as expected). Apparently, both "mom & dad" Lucas are quite enamored with the local boy, Billy Clyde.

jmac
04-12-2007, 09:15 PM
If he (Jordan) came to UK, he would immediately become the starting center for next year as a Freshman. But forget about DeAndre Jordan....

Tomorrow, all eyes SHOULD be turning to Stephon Pettigrew. He is the phenom from Elizabethtown, KY (Hardin County) who was just awarded Mr. Kentucky. I have a few friends from the E'town area who have been telling me about him since he was in the 9th grade. I have been watching him closely for the last two years. This kid can P-L-A-Y.

I have been furious all year long with Tubby for ignoring him. Meanwhile, all he has ever wanted to do is play for UK. I believe that--thusfar--UK has only contacted him via an Assistant Coach. That is inexplicable to me. Granted, Rick Pitino hasn't exactly been beating his door down either. I cannot explain it. The kid is all heart and puts up big numbers.

Sounds like Gillispie has been stepping up the courtship immensely over the last few days. Pettigrew was on the radio tonight and he sounded ecstatic that UK was finally paying attention to him. Up until recently, he had resigned himself to only receiving a scholarship offer from Ole Miss (I think). UK is no longer mentioning the concept of him being a "walk on" next year, so I suspect we will close the deal on him post haste.

By the way, Jai Lucas has his final official visit this weekend in Gainesville with Billy Donovan. I would expect that UK is still in good standing with Lucas even if Patterson signs with Florida (as expected). Apparently, both "mom & dad" Lucas are quite enamored with the local boy, Billy Clyde.

As for Pettigrew, some like Tubby may have been worried about his height for the position.
I told a friend of mine that this kid could most definitely (at least ) add some punch coming off the bench.
I mean last season basically all we had was Meeks and he started some toward the end.
To me...a bench of Thomas,Orzbut,Porter,Stevenson is/was not much of a bench.
Lets say the Cats land one or two (Jordan or Patterson) to go with Meeks, Crawford, Bradley then Pettigrew could add something off bench.
One more thing : Jordan "still" a possibilty....
When asked whether he might go to Kentucky with Gillispie, he responded: "It's still a possibility."

TeamSelig
04-26-2007, 10:49 AM
We got Alex Legion, of Oak Hill Academy. 45th overall, 12th SG in his class.

Now if we can just pick up Patterson and Lucas, we will be set

TeamSelig
04-26-2007, 10:53 AM
Also, forgot to mention. Pettigrew took UK off his list, he didn't want to wait 2 more weeks to see if Patterson or whoever signed with us.

dabvu2498
04-26-2007, 10:58 AM
Also, forgot to mention. Pettigrew took UK off his list, he didn't want to wait 2 more weeks to see if Patterson or whoever signed with us.

He narrowed his list to Xavier and Western Ky. Based on what I've seen of him, he could be very successful at either of those two places.

TeamSelig
04-26-2007, 11:06 AM
What are the chances UK grabs Patterson or Lucas? I think Patterson is Florida bound, but thats just me.

cumberlandreds
04-26-2007, 11:08 AM
He narrowed his list to Xavier and Western Ky. Based on what I've seen of him, he could be very successful at either of those two places.

I read somewhere this morning Georgia called and asked him to hold off on signing with WKU. They want to watch him this weekend in some pickup games and decide on offering him.

dabvu2498
04-26-2007, 11:12 AM
I read somewhere this morning Georgia called and asked him to hold off on signing with WKU. They want to watch him this weekend in some pickup games and decide on offering him.

Very interesting. Hadn't seen that. Dennis Felton using his KY connections. Georgia is certainly a step-up over the Sun Belt or the A-10, but I wonder if Steffphon might have "style of play" issues with Coach Felton's system. His teams have always been pretty effective but dull as watching paint dry.

cumberlandreds
04-26-2007, 11:22 AM
Very interesting. Hadn't seen that. Dennis Felton using his KY connections. Georgia is certainly a step-up over the Sun Belt or the A-10, but I wonder if Steffphon might have "style of play" issues with Coach Felton's system. His teams have always been pretty effective but dull as watching paint dry.

I found the link.
It's at the end of the article about UK recruiting Sanchez.
http://www.kentucky.com/276/story/53338.html

dabvu2498
04-26-2007, 11:34 AM
I found the link.
It's at the end of the article about UK recruiting Sanchez.
http://www.kentucky.com/276/story/53338.html

Sounds like X is out altogether.

George Foster
04-26-2007, 11:55 PM
What are the chances UK grabs Patterson or Lucas? I think Patterson is Florida bound, but thats just me.

He has put off signing...he was suppose to sign after the Final Four. Kentucky got into the mix, and he is still thinking..we got to like that.

Javy Pornstache
04-27-2007, 12:08 AM
While Patterson and Lucas lollygag their decision into May, UK fans should keep an eye on Michael Sanchez. A tough player at the 4 spot, and wouldn't be much a drop-off from Patterson... if one at all. He's a guy who originally was going to commit to a prep school, but has been opened back into '07 recruiting with Gillispie going after him and now Arkansas and Wake Forest have caught on, and probably more will soon. He put up 25 points and 15 rebounds at the Kingwood Classic in Pittsburgh last weekend.

I would be absolutely thrilled with wrapping up recruiting with Legion and Sanchez, and bagging the third available scholarship until the '08 season. That would be a darn successful spring period in only a few weeks' time for Billy Gillispie even without Patterson and/or Lucas.

Yeah, we crazy UK fans sure miss Tubby Smith's awesome recruiting.