PDA

View Full Version : Rooting for or against Milton?

Matt700wlw
04-07-2007, 04:56 PM
Are you rooting for Milton, so he can contribute to the success of this team, or against him, so they have no choice to get rid of him.

reds44
04-07-2007, 04:57 PM
Why would you root against him? I'm rooting for him, but that's not going to make him any better.

NorrisHopper30
04-07-2007, 04:58 PM
I'm definately rooting for him, he's shown in the past he can be a good pitcher and spring training means nothing. I really hope he can step it up and surprise us.

Matt700wlw
04-07-2007, 04:58 PM
I don't know.

Just thought I'd see what people say.

CRedsLarkin11
04-07-2007, 04:59 PM
I'm rooting for him, of course, but my expectations are very very low. Here's hoping the bullpen doesn't have to pitch 7 innings

thatcoolguy_22
04-07-2007, 05:03 PM
against. i want him out of here sooner rather than later. the quicker he is gone the sooner homer can start taking in major league innings

HumnHilghtFreel
04-07-2007, 05:07 PM
Got to root for him, because I don't think they'd cut/DFA him if he does badly, so I might as well hope that he does well.

Razor Shines
04-07-2007, 05:08 PM
against. i want him out of here sooner rather than later. the quicker he is gone the sooner homer can start taking in major league innings

I don't think it's Milton that's holding Homer back, right now it's Homer not being ready that's holding him back.

If Homer was truly ready to pitch in the Bigs I believe he'd be in the rotation one way or another. They'd find a spot.

RedFanAlways1966
04-07-2007, 05:12 PM

I hope anyone who roots against him hopes it happens like this... REDS win 12-9 after Milton gives up 9 runs in 3 innings of work. To root against him in any other way is baffling to me. Team first... Homer or releasing someone second.

Personally I hope he goes 18-0 this year. Not b/c I am a member of the Milton fan club, but b/c I hope the REDS win each time they take the field. You wear a REDS uniform and take the field of play... I am 100% behind you.

StillFunkyB
04-07-2007, 05:14 PM
Why would you root against him? I'm rooting for him, but that's not going to make him any better.

Exactly.

Matt700wlw
04-07-2007, 05:16 PM
I'm rooting for him, but him doing well tomorrow just prolongs what really needs to be done.

:beerme: Here's to prolonging :)

guttle11
04-07-2007, 05:18 PM
I'm rooting for him, but I'm ready to be very cynical...

HumnHilghtFreel
04-07-2007, 05:21 PM

:laugh: Good way to put it

Redlegs
04-07-2007, 05:39 PM
I'm rooting for anyone wearing the wishbone C on their cap. Having said that, I feel Milton is the worst pitcher on this club. In fact, I feel it's safe to say his contract made this team out of spring training rather than his pitching skills.

jimbo
04-07-2007, 05:44 PM
I think it's crazy to root against him if you are a Reds fan. I root for everyone who puts on a Reds uniform. Division titles sometimes comes down to one game, where is the sense rooting against Milton when we may need every win we can get?

The Reds need a lefty in the rotation, having a healthy and effective Milton makes all the sense in the world. I say give him 3 starts and evaluate him then. In my opinion, his leash should be short if he bombs his first few starts, but I sure as heck root for him.

Joseph
04-07-2007, 05:44 PM
I hope Milton wins 20 games and posts an era south of 2.

I don't think it will though.

GOREDSGO32
04-07-2007, 05:58 PM
I don't know why you would root for one of your starters to do bad. If he does good that helps the team, heck if he even does remotely decent that helps the team, more tradeable if someone wants him, etc.

cacollinsmba
04-07-2007, 06:00 PM
I would rather Milton just get his terrible outings out of the way now in order to force the front office to make a decision. I'd rather not be teased by a couple quality starts. Milton is like an episode of Scooby-Doo. You know how it's going to turn out.

captainmorgan07
04-07-2007, 06:13 PM
i dont' want to see a young kid go to the minors for us to trot uncle milty to give up gopher balls but we need to find somewhere to trade him how bout KC that be good idea

manofmoe
04-07-2007, 06:30 PM
I'm rooting for a big day from the offense to support the disaster that is Milton.

Degenerate39
04-07-2007, 06:30 PM
I don't want the Reds to lose so I'm rooting for him.

membengal
04-07-2007, 06:37 PM
Rooting for him of course. Also rooting for a cheap renewable energy source to be discovered in the next month that will replace oil as the power that fuels the world. I like rooting for the occasional pipe dream...

redsmetz
04-07-2007, 07:21 PM
Even though his signing has proven to the a mistake and is now an albatross, you always have to root for the Redlegs to win.

jmble
04-07-2007, 07:49 PM
I'm sorry, but anyone who is rooting against him is just stupid.

Nobody wants him to do badly. We just expect him to do badly. Who's going to be dissapointed if he goes out and throws 7 innings of 3 hit, 0 run baseball. If he does good tomorrow will you continue to root against him until he does bad? That's a pretty good way to be a fan of the team.

Redlegs
04-07-2007, 08:02 PM
The other starters have raised the bar thus far in '07. The pressure's on Milton to perform tomorrow.

FlightRick
04-07-2007, 08:02 PM
It'd be stupid not to root for the guy to pitch well. Then again, it'd be stupid to not root for Halle Berry to show up at my house, professing her deep, throbbing, moist desire to, uhhhhhhh, service* me. It's just that in neither case am I getting my hopes up.

Then again, Halle Berry ain't getting paid $9 million to sit around and not satisfy me. Milton is. So I guess I can see where some of the hatred and loathing comes from....

* For the kiddies out there, and for those grown-ups who like their comedy G-Rated and straight from the ever-enlightened 1950s (instead of liking it, you know?, funny), I'd just like to clarify that "to service," in this context, means "to fetch my dinner, my brandy, and my slippers when I demand them, without any sassback." Yep, that's what it means.

Sean_CaseyRules
04-07-2007, 08:04 PM
I don't see how if you say that you are a Reds fan, that you are going to root against ANYONE that plays for us? It just doesn't seem to make any sense to me how any fan, of any team can do that.

fearofpopvol1
04-07-2007, 08:05 PM
If anything, you should want to root for Milton regardless if you like him as a Red. If he posts good numbers, not only does it help our team in the short-term, but it also means we'll have a better shot of getting rid of him at the deadline.

Seems like a no brainer in my opinion to root for him...

Blitz Dorsey
04-07-2007, 08:16 PM
????

We're 4-1, I think I'll be rooting for him to win. Sorry, but that is an absurd question to ask. No matter how terrible the player is (even someone as bad as Milty) I always root for them if they have a Reds uniform on.

Eric_Davis
04-07-2007, 08:44 PM
It takes many, many pitcher to throw good games in order to make the playoffs. If we can get some good games out of Milton, all the better.

thatcoolguy_22
04-07-2007, 08:50 PM
you people are out of your mind if you think milton having a good game is going to do anything to further our playoff hopes this year. One game will not a pennant win however, if he shows any improvement tomorrow he will be given another 12 chances to get back to his "first start" form... This is a joke of a topic. People stop being nearsighted and look towards the actual season and not one useless game tomorrow against the pirates...

dsmith421
04-07-2007, 08:52 PM

Because he sucks, and I would rather lose one game in April and get rid of him than run his sorry ass out there 15-20 times.

I should add that I consider his presence on the roster to be an insult to the fans of this franchise. It's also an insult to pitchers like Coutlangus, Salmon, etc. who have earned a shot at the show to run out a glorified batting tee just because the incompetent previous regime decided to hand him the keys to the bank vault.

flyer85
04-07-2007, 08:56 PM
I want the Reds to win ... prove me wrong Milty.

Fullboat
04-07-2007, 08:57 PM
Milty will be pitching for a new long term contract next year(more
like an invite by any team not wearing the color red in a way shape
or form :pray:)so he might put a little more oomph into his pitching
because somewhere out there a :obrien: is born every minute.:D

I hope Milton is the best thing since sliced bread just before the
trading deadline.:thumbup:

George Foster
04-07-2007, 09:28 PM

I hope he gets shelled for 5 runs in the 1st inning and the Reds win 6-5:evil:

jmac
04-07-2007, 09:37 PM
Got to root for him, because I don't think they'd cut/DFA him if he does badly, so I might as well hope that he does well.

Exactly!

RedFanAlways1966
04-07-2007, 09:58 PM
you people are out of your mind if you think milton having a good game is going to do anything to further our playoff hopes this year. One game will not a pennant win however, if he shows any improvement tomorrow he will be given another 12 chances to get back to his "first start" form... This is a joke of a topic. People stop being nearsighted and look towards the actual season and not one useless game tomorrow against the pirates...

Hmmmm....

I wonder if Dodgers fans thought this in 1991 when they finished 1 GB of the Braves for the NL West that year?

I wonder if Orioles fans thought this in 1982 when they finished 1 GB of the Brewers for the AL East that year?

I wonder if Dodgers fans thought this in 1982 when they finished 1 GB of the Braves for the NL West that year?

I wonder if Dodgers fans thought this in 1980 when they finished 1 GB of the Astros for the NL West that year?

I wonder if Expos fans thought this in 1980 when they finished 1 GB of the Phillies for the NL East that year?

I wonder if Astros fans thought this in 1979 when they finished 1 GB of the REDS for the NL West that year?

I wonder if Red Sox fans thought this in 1978 when they finished tied with the Yankees and lost a playoff (Bucky Dent) for the AL East that year?

I wonder if Cardinals fans thought this in 1973 when they finished 1 GB of the Mets for the NL East that year?

I wonder if Red Sox fans thought this in 1972 when they finished 1 GB of the Tigers for the AL East that year?

I wonder if Dodgers fans thought this in 1971 when they finished 1 GB of the Giants for the NL West that year?

I wonder if Tigers or Twins fans thought this in 1967 when they both finished 1 GB of the Red Sox for the AL pennant that year?

I wonder if White Sox fans thought this in 1964 when they finished 1 GB of the Yankees for the AL pennant that year?

I wonder if REDS fans thought this in 1964 when they finished 1 GB of the Cardinals for the NL pennant that year?

I wonder if Dodgers fans thought this in 1962 when they tied with the Giants and then lost in a playoff for the NL pennant?

I wonder if Braves fans thought this in 1956 when they finished 1 GB of the Dodgers for the NL pennant that year?

I wonder if Dodgers fans thought this in 1951 when they tied with the Giants and then lost in a playoff for the NL pennant (Bobby Thomson)?

I wonder if Red Sox fans thought this in 1948 when they finished 1 GB of the Indians for the AL pennant?

I wonder if Senators fans thought this in 1945 when they finished 1 GB of the Tigers for the AL pennant?

I wonder if Tigers fans thought this in 1944 when they finished 1 GB of the Browns for the AL pennant?

I wonder if Indians fans thought this in 1940 when they finished 1 GB of the Tigers for the AL pennant?

I think we'll stop there. It would be a real shame if they thought rooting against their team and being REWARDED in April was a good thing.

DoogMinAmo
04-07-2007, 10:26 PM
Hmmmm....

I wonder if Dodgers fans thought this in 1991 when they finished 1 GB of the Braves for the NL West that year?

I wonder if Orioles fans thought this in 1982 when they finished 1 GB of the Brewers for the AL East that year?

I wonder if Dodgers fans thought this in 1982 when they finished 1 GB of the Braves for the NL West that year?

I wonder if Dodgers fans thought this in 1980 when they finished 1 GB of the Astros for the NL West that year?

I wonder if Expos fans thought this in 1980 when they finished 1 GB of the Phillies for the NL East that year?

I wonder if Astros fans thought this in 1979 when they finished 1 GB of the REDS for the NL West that year?

I wonder if Red Sox fans thought this in 1978 when they finished tied with the Yankees and lost a playoff (Bucky Dent) for the AL East that year?

I wonder if Cardinals fans thought this in 1973 when they finished 1 GB of the Mets for the NL East that year?

I wonder if Red Sox fans thought this in 1972 when they finished 1 GB of the Tigers for the AL East that year?

I wonder if Dodgers fans thought this in 1971 when they finished 1 GB of the Giants for the NL West that year?

I wonder if Tigers or Twins fans thought this in 1967 when they both finished 1 GB of the Red Sox for the AL pennant that year?

I wonder if White Sox fans thought this in 1964 when they finished 1 GB of the Yankees for the AL pennant that year?

I wonder if REDS fans thought this in 1964 when they finished 1 GB of the Cardinals for the NL pennant that year?

I wonder if Dodgers fans thought this in 1962 when they tied with the Giants and then lost in a playoff for the NL pennant?

I wonder if Braves fans thought this in 1956 when they finished 1 GB of the Dodgers for the NL pennant that year?

I wonder if Dodgers fans thought this in 1951 when they tied with the Giants and then lost in a playoff for the NL pennant (Bobby Thomson)?

I wonder if Red Sox fans thought this in 1948 when they finished 1 GB of the Indians for the AL pennant?

I wonder if Senators fans thought this in 1945 when they finished 1 GB of the Tigers for the AL pennant?

I wonder if Tigers fans thought this in 1944 when they finished 1 GB of the Browns for the AL pennant?

I wonder if Indians fans thought this in 1940 when they finished 1 GB of the Tigers for the AL pennant?

I think we'll stop there. It would be a real shame if they thought rooting against their team and being REWARDED in April was a good thing.

I can't believe you didnt mention the 1999 Reds!

RedFanAlways1966
04-07-2007, 10:33 PM
I can't believe you didnt mention the 1999 Reds!

LOL. I thought about it, but my "old-n-handy" Baseball Encyclopedia is the 1992 edition. :)

LINEDRIVER
04-07-2007, 11:05 PM
Milton's career numbers vs. Pittsburgh

1 win, 4 losses, 7.20 ERA

KronoRed
04-07-2007, 11:07 PM
Milton's career numbers vs. Pittsburgh

1 win, 4 losses, 7.20 ERA

Perfect time to break out of it.

OesterPoster
04-07-2007, 11:12 PM
Well, there is at least one Pittsburgh Pirate salivating over his matchup with Milty tomorrow.

...Sanchez, out with a sprained right knee since March 6, could make his season debut for the Pirates tomorrow.

...the Pirates sent catcher/first baseman/right fielder Ryan Doumit to Class AAA Indianapolis to make room for Sanchez.

Sanchez could start Sunday. He's 9 for 13 lifetime against Cincinnati starter Eric Milton.

LINEDRIVER
04-07-2007, 11:37 PM
More numbers

Milton's career vs Pirates

10 games
50 innings
11 HR's allowed
1 win
4 losses
7.20 ERA

reds1869
04-07-2007, 11:50 PM
I will never, ever root against a Cincinnati Reds player. I don't want Milton on the staff, but I certainly want him to win if he is!

penantboundreds
04-08-2007, 12:34 AM
Against Milton...for....Saarlos to come in after Milty gives up 3 in the first. Saarlos holds down our fifth spot.

TC81190
04-08-2007, 12:40 AM
I'm sorry, but you're not a fan if you root against a player. I do want him off the team however.

dsmith421
04-08-2007, 12:54 AM
I'm sorry, but you're not a fan if you root against a player. I do want him off the team however.

Sorry, you don't get to define who is and isn't a fan.

There are two good outcomes I see from Milton in 2007: (1) he pitches well, and (2) he pitches so poorly that he's not permitted to bring his unique brand of suck every fifth day all season. Number one ain't likely. The sooner he's gone the better for the club, as far as I'm concerned. Small losses now for larger benefits in June and July.

Of course, this is all moot, because even if Milton gives up 10 runs tomorrow he's going to be around anyway.

GAC
04-08-2007, 05:34 AM
Why would anyone root (vote) against Milton? We need this guy to have some level of success to not only contribute; but to open up possibilities at the trading deadline.

And Milton is not holding anyone back. That is not his decision to make. If some don't like the guy, then that is fine; but don't lay that burden on him. He has enough already.

The weather is not going to be any better for Sunday's game - low 40's, with wind chill making it feel in the 30's. Slight improvement from Saturday, but it's still gonna play havoc with pitchers. Both BPs are gonna get their work in before it's over.

redsfanmia
04-08-2007, 09:55 AM
Got to root for Milton because the Reds are not good enough to punt games, the game they lose today could be the difference in a playoff appearrance.

Highlifeman21
04-08-2007, 10:34 AM
I can't root for Milton.

Just like I can't root for Castro or Hopper or Moeller or Crosby or Livingston or Ramirez.

They are all deadweight that are hindering the Reds. The sooner they aren't taking up a valuable roster spot, the sooner I'll believe the Reds are serious about winning.

coachw513
04-08-2007, 10:36 AM
Not much for the hyperbole that the 1st week of the season creates, both bad (god Ross is full of suckage) and good (our bullpen may never give up a run), but...

This is a big start for Milton...he's in grave danger of "losing" Cincy as home-team fans...he's on the verge of becoming A-Rod, without the enormous ability level to make the fans occasionally forget they want to boo him...for him personally he needs a good start to keep the fans remembering it's a good thing when he pitches well...

Marc D
04-08-2007, 10:53 AM
I don't think WK has what it takes to simply DFA him regardless of the beatings he may take.

I'm going to hope for a Milton Quality Start...5 IP 5 Runs or less.

as_v_1
04-08-2007, 11:10 AM
They won't DFA him, he is untradeable, so the only thing to do it root for him and hope he does well.

LawFive
04-08-2007, 11:19 AM
For. Reds are on the hook for the $9M no matter what, so they might as well try to get something out of it. However, the war between realism and optimisim rages onward...

WMR
04-08-2007, 11:32 AM
Rooting for him of course. Also rooting for a cheap renewable energy source to be discovered in the next month that will replace oil as the power that fuels the world. I like rooting for the occasional pipe dream...

:laugh: :lol: :laugh: :lol:

:beerme:

RedFanAlways1966
04-08-2007, 11:45 AM
More numbers

Milton's career vs Pirates

10 games
50 innings
11 HR's allowed
1 win
4 losses
7.20 ERA

More numbers (tryin' to be optimistic :pray:).

Milton's 1st start of the season as a REDS pitcher...
* 2 games
* 12.1 IP, 5 ER, 15 H, 5 K, 0 BB, 3 HRA.
>> 3.65 ERA, 1.22 WHIP.
>> 2-0 record.

Matt700wlw
04-08-2007, 12:32 PM
I think this topic kinda sorta worked

:)

Eric_Davis
04-08-2007, 01:15 PM
We need Milton to succeed, if only for the possibility that he can throw for 160 innings with an ERA of 5.00. Belisle can't be asked to be the #4 pitcher. He just can't throw that many innings. Livingston can, but he's not here right now. Saarloos can, but he's in the pen. They are probably both plan B and plan C, in case Milton fails. But for now, Milton is plan A.

SMcGavin
04-08-2007, 01:59 PM
I'll come out and say it, I like Eric Milton. Not because I think he's good, but he gets a lot of crap from fans about things that he can't really control. It's not his fault he's bad, it's not his fault he has a bad knee, and it's not his fault the Reds paid him $9 million. It would be different if he heard the boos, said "screw it" and went on the Krispy Kreme diet, but that's not the case. He has kept his mouth shut and attempted to fix things. So I'm rooting for Milton not just because I want the Reds to win, but because I think Milton's handling of the situation has been pretty admirable and I like to see guys like that succeed.

Marc D
04-08-2007, 02:27 PM
I'm going to hope for a Milton Quality Start...5 IP 5 Runs or less.

Ok he's done it, get him out of there and trade him now. ;)

HumnHilghtFreel
04-08-2007, 03:16 PM
So what's the consensus on this game?

10 hits 4 runs a base on balls and 6 K's in 5.2 IP

I wouldn't call it a good start, but for a first start it's decent. He didn't put the game out of reach at least, and we're rallying to just 1 run down as I type this.

WMR
04-08-2007, 03:59 PM
How about making a poll whether or not we're rooting for Jerry to manage the pitchers in the correct manner!! :censored:

thatcoolguy_22
04-08-2007, 04:10 PM
Hmmmm....

you root against milton and maybe instead of 25 starts or so this year he will only get 6 before he gets the axe. So I root for a player (notice only a player not the whole bloody team) to perform poorly so that we will have a possibility of seeing Milton off of the 25 man sooner rather than later. We lose 1 or 2 or his starts but in the long run we win because it cuts his season by 75%... But yeah your right 1 game in April means much much more than 15 games from may-jul :rolleyes:

reds44
04-08-2007, 04:12 PM

I wouldn't call it a good start, but for a first start it's decent. He didn't put the game out of reach at least, and we're rallying to just 1 run down as I type this.
He was so close to disaster so many times though. How do you give up 10 hits to the pirates on a day when it's 30 degress?

thatcoolguy_22
04-08-2007, 04:12 PM
He really didn't perform that poorly. We just could not get any offense going until the 7th and after that there were far too many first pitch hacks... Still take 2 out of every three games and you"ll win 108 games... I'll take that:thumbup:

Let me rephrase he did what was needed to stay around on this team

Will M
04-08-2007, 04:25 PM

Milton was bad. If he gets to continue as the 5th starter the Reds will not win the division. Krisky and Narron need to decide who gets the 1rst shot at being the #5 starter and DFA Milton ASAP.

KronoRed
04-08-2007, 06:47 PM
10 hits in 5 plus innings is bad, do that 10 times and I'd say in 7 of them you would give up more then 4 runs.

This is what we can expect from Milton.

RedFanAlways1966
04-08-2007, 08:34 PM
But yeah your right 1 game in April means much much more than 15 games from may-jul :rolleyes:

Every game counts the same in the end. That was the point and I am sorry if you missed that point. You have to hope the GM and/or owner do the right thing when that time comes. You have to hope that the GM and/or owner do the right thing to any player on the team when that time comes. That does not mean you hope a player costs the team any single game in the hope of hurrying that decision along. Some think Milton should have had that decision made before the season started and I am fine with that. But you will never find me rooting for a bad game from any REDS player (creates a loss) in the hopes that he gets released. I don't understand that line of thinking. If the FO lets him lose 15 games from May-July, then the FO needs DFA'd too. There is no proof that they will let this happen. You don't have that proof, nor does anyone else.

redsrule2500
04-08-2007, 08:37 PM
Why would I root against a Reds pitcher?!?!

gonelong
04-08-2007, 11:53 PM
I won't root against Milton, but I will root for the Reds to replace him.

GL

Eric_Davis
04-09-2007, 02:00 PM
I do root against those who root against a RED.