PDA

View Full Version : Zambrano quote from 4/7 about the Reds (so you know it's good).

wpenn4
04-07-2007, 05:53 PM
The following quote came from the AP article after Zambrano and the Cubs beat the Brewers and Sheets today:

Zambrano, who gave up five runs in five innings and took the loss at Cincinnati on Opening Day, said matter-of-factly that he considers the Reds a much tougher out than the Brewers.

"I don't say that the Milwaukee Brewers are nothing, but I think the offense of the Cincinnati Reds (is) better," Zambrano said. "There's no making mistakes when pitching against Cincinnati. When you make a mistake against them, you pay for it. When you make a mistake against Milwaukee, sometimes they miss it and that's good."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=270407108

Wow. I think I'm speechless. . .

Joseph
04-07-2007, 05:55 PM
Complimentary? Color me shocked.

As opposed to color me badd.

MrCinatit
04-07-2007, 05:58 PM
He is potentially a free agent at the end of the year.
Perhaps he is kissing up to his future team :D

HumnHilghtFreel
04-07-2007, 05:59 PM
[Wishful thinking] Maybe he'd like to pitch FOR this tough offense when that extension doesn't get done! [/Wishful thinking]

Falls City Beer
04-07-2007, 06:08 PM
I could be wrong, but, historically, I think the Reds have pummeled him.

AtomicDumpling
04-07-2007, 06:51 PM
I just looked it up. Zambrano is 8-6 with a 3.06 ERA against the Reds in 120.2 innings. But his ERA is 4.14 in GABP.

Degenerate39
04-07-2007, 06:55 PM
I'd love to get him in Cincy

membengal
04-07-2007, 06:57 PM
I just looked it up. Zambrano is 8-6 with a 3.06 ERA against the Reds in 120.2 innings. But his ERA is 4.14 in GABP.

Guess it's an actual living breathing compliment. Make sure Tom Verducci doesn't find out...

RedsFan75
04-07-2007, 11:00 PM
Zambrano is a classy guy, love to have him in a Reds Uni.

TOBTTReds
04-07-2007, 11:05 PM
I personally have never liked him. I think he would be a terribly frustrating pitcher to watch. If he could learn some better control, then he would be that Cy Young candidate he guaranteed he would be.

Falls City Beer
04-07-2007, 11:11 PM
I think he's got too many miles on his arm.

vaticanplum
04-07-2007, 11:25 PM
I think he's got too many miles on his arm.

Well, being the Cubs' ace should certainly help him there.

(yes, I know Dusty's gone, but I tend to agree here. Already.)

paintmered
04-07-2007, 11:31 PM
Zambrano has great stuff, but is generally worthless once he gets flustered. He was battling himself after serving up a lead-off walk and Dunn's home run to start Opening Day. Zambrano wasn't too discrete about it either.

GAC
04-08-2007, 06:30 AM
Zambrano has great stuff, but is generally worthless once he gets flustered. He was battling himself after serving up a lead-off walk and Dunn's home run to start Opening Day. Zambrano wasn't too discrete about it either.

Yep. Equipment in that dugout is not safe from the Zambrano wrath. I still remember last year's 4/13 game when Milton tripled off of him. He was definitely rattled as he kept throwing over to 3B trying to pick Milton off. He did not like it one bit that the opposing pitcher tripled off of him. He then proceeded to throw at a couple of our batters in frustration. He was gone shortly thereafter, giving up 4 ERs, and we won 8-3.

RichRed
04-08-2007, 09:07 AM
I don't think that quote's real. Not once did Zambrano refer to himself in the third person.

Jaycint
04-08-2007, 10:33 AM
The team that everyone has been proclaiming as the second coming for the last few years can not be pleased. :)

TeamBoone
04-09-2007, 03:59 PM
Hmmmm, seems Milwaukee was less than pleased with the remark, as I suppose they should be....

Zambrano’s remarks get Brewers stoked
By Bruce Miles / Daily Herald Sports Writer
Posted Monday, April 09, 2007

MILWAUKEE — Maybe somebody should tell Cubs pitcher Carlos Zambrano that his team is in the same division as the Milwaukee Brewers.

Zambrano didn’t endear himself to the Brewers with Saturday’s comments about the Cincinnati Reds’ lineup being better than that of the Brewers.

“You’ve seen his act out there,” Brewers catcher Johnny Estrada told local reporters. “Why listen to anything that guy says? Seriously. That guy doesn’t have much etiquette as far as I’m concerned. Zero mound presence. We’ll face him a lot and maybe we’ll get him next time.

“The bottom line is he’s one of the best pitchers in our league. But some of the stuff that comes out of his mouth, I think a lot of people could do without, including some of his own teammates, I’m sure.”

There indeed were a few eye rolls in and around the Cubs family Sunday after everyone had a chance to digest Zambrano’s remarks, which he said were not made out of disrespect.

Although the Brewers didn’t plan to pin Zambrano’s remarks on the bulletin board, they’re duly filed.

“It (ticks) us off a little bit,” said Milwaukee center fielder Bill Hall. “We’ll see what happens the next time we face him.”

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/story.asp?id=299672

jfleur87
04-09-2007, 04:11 PM
What Zambrano doesn't know, is that the Reds, at least in my recent memory have done pretty well against the others teams top pitchers. Its those unknown, soft tossers that really get this team.

Redsland
04-09-2007, 04:17 PM
Oh no! The Brewers are mad!

:ughmamoru

HumnHilghtFreel
04-09-2007, 04:22 PM
“It (ticks) us off a little bit,” said Milwaukee center fielder Bill Hall. “We’ll see what happens the next time we face him.”

Mark it down. Zambrano's next start against the Brew Crew will be a perfect game.

Chip R
04-09-2007, 04:29 PM
Z is going to have to step it up if he's going to win the Cy Young like he predicted.

Dunner44
04-09-2007, 05:02 PM

Sounds like when Gilbert Arenas said he'd drop 50 on the Blazers... good luck Bill Hall.

durl
04-09-2007, 05:11 PM

I agree. Zambrano is like Ricky Vaughn (pre-glasses) when things start going bad.

Benihana
04-10-2007, 11:24 AM
I personally have never liked him. I think he would be a terribly frustrating pitcher to watch. If he could learn some better control, then he would be that Cy Young candidate he guaranteed he would be.

Last I checked I believe he is already a Cy Young candidate. He is a top 5 pitcher in the NL virtually every year.