PDA

View Full Version : Snowed out

MartyFan
04-09-2007, 12:12 PM
Mariners-Indians are snowed out again (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/bba_mariners_indians&printer=1;_ylt=Av6qZpIas.eLQmwX5HmIK_U_z7QF)

Monday's scheduled doubleheader between the Seattle Mariners and the Cleveland Indians has been postponed. The entire four-game series was snowed out, creating scheduling problems since the Mariners are not slated to return to Cleveland this year.

Worried that more unseasonable weather could hit Cleveland again this week, baseball may send the Indians to warm up in Anaheim instead of making the Angels head east.

And temperatures aren't the only thing that's way down: Home runs plunged during the season's frigid first week to their lowest level since 1993, with average dropping from 2.4 in last season's opening week to 1.8 this year. It hadn't been that low since a 1.6 average 14 years ago, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.

"You can see it. Some of the swings, not the quickest at-bats," Minnesota Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said following a game in the 20-degree wind chill of windy Chicago.

After pitching an inning Sunday at Yankee Stadium, where snow flurries fell late, Andy Pettitte was happy to get out of New York and head to Minneapolis. Yes, the forecast called for a gametime temperature of 38 degrees Monday, but the Twins play in a dome.

"I think we're all looking forward to playing in a controlled environment," said Pettitte, used to warmer surroundings back home in Texas. "This is just miserable."

Cold didn't stop Tampa Bay's Elijah Dukes, who hit his first two career homers at Yankee Stadium. He connected for his second while wearing a ski mask with a slit around the eyes just wide enough to allow him to see, looking more cat burglar than slugger.

From far away, Angels outfielder Gary Matthews Jr. took notice and reconsidered his clothing for a scheduled trip to Cleveland and Boston.

"I pack tights and gloves," he said. "I think I might go topcoat for the first time in my career for this trip."

In damp and foggy San Francisco, Dave Roberts altered his pregame preparation.

"I spend a little more time in the hot tub to keep my body loose," he said.

At least he got to play.

Three games were wiped out in Cleveland, one in New York, one in Chicago and one in Detroit. Unable to play the Indians on Sunday, at Cleveland's Jacobs Field, Richie Sexson, Adrian Beltre and some of their Seattle Mariners' teammate focused on the angels — snow angels. With the green grass covered by a blanket wintry white flakes, they frolicked on the field along with Jose Vidro and Jose Lopez.

Baseball tried to work around the cold a decade ago, without great success. After enduring a snowout at Boston's Fenway Park, a snowy afternoon at Yankee Stadium and cold in Detroit and Chicago in 1996, baseball remade the schedule for 1997, using all five covered fields then in the majors and every West Coast site.

No brainer, right?

After teams in the East and Midwest got home, eight games were wiped out by weather on the season's second Saturday, raising that year's total to 17.

Draft schedules must be given to the players' association about nine months before opening day. Katy Feeney, baseball's senior vice president of scheduling, wished she had an advance forecast that early. She must deal with teams that want as many home dates in June, July and August — when attendance is usually highest — and clubs that don't want to spend to spend weeks on the road in April.

"They'll lose fan interest if the baseball season opens and they don't come home for an extended period of time," she said. "It's like, 'Who are those guys and where did they come from?'"

That said, baseball is looking at alternatives. Bob DuPuy, the sport's chief operating officer, said outsiders are helping the sport examine its scheduling.

"Some of it is guesswork," he said. "You can have bad weather the third week in April in Detroit as easily as you could have bad weather the first week."

For AL MVP Justin Morneau, it's all relative. Spending the weekend with the Twins in Chicago wasn't nearly as frosty as some games in the minors.

"Portland, Maine, was real cold," he said. "At Rochester, I remember we played one game at Syracuse to open the season and the turf was still frozen, so we were slipping around. It was like a skating rink out there."

So, what is the solution?

I think the sport would be helped out overall if the season was reduced to 120 games..Start it later, maybe in May...what do you all think?

guttle11
04-09-2007, 12:16 PM
I'm not sure why people are talking about schedule changes due to a freak cold spell.

KronoRed
04-09-2007, 12:16 PM
Force all new stadiums from now on to have retractable roofs.

Season used to start in mid April, that wouldn't be a bad thing.

NJReds
04-09-2007, 12:17 PM
Mariners-Indians are snowed out again (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/bba_mariners_indians&printer=1;_ylt=Av6qZpIas.eLQmwX5HmIK_U_z7QF)

So, what is the solution?

I think the sport would be helped out overall if the season was reduced to 120 games..Start it later, maybe in May...what do you all think?

I said it in another thread. One doubleheader per month would give you an extra week.

Another thing...how about making southern teams and teams with domes play at home during the first week of the season. Why was Seattle in Cleveland instead of the other way around. Why was Tampa in NY?

Jharb74
04-09-2007, 12:26 PM
I saw this weekend (on ESPN or Fox, I can't remember) that a big reason that these games are getting snowed out is because they've started the season earlier and earlier.

If you notice, the whole Jackie Robinson celebration is still almost a week away, because they never used to start this early.

smith288
04-09-2007, 12:31 PM
Tampa requested an away series to start off since they have some race event going on in Tampa

OesterPoster
04-09-2007, 12:32 PM
Absolutely no way they (MLB, owners, and players' union) will ever eliminate games. Too much TV money, ticket money, concessions, and for the players, contract incentives to eliminate any games.

I'd rather see more double-headers and push the start of the season back a week.

GoGoWhiteSox
04-09-2007, 12:34 PM
I'm not sure why people are talking about schedule changes due to a freak cold spell.
Agreed. People are acting like this happens every year. It's usually still cold in April in a lot of MLB cities. This April, it's colder than usual. When July comes, I guarantee you that this will be forgotten (except in the Indians' case, when they'll have to make up all 4 of those games. If that is what ends up knocking them out of contention, I'll be happy!):D

Chip R
04-09-2007, 12:36 PM
I said it in another thread. One doubleheader per month would give you an extra week.

Another thing...how about making southern teams and teams with domes play at home during the first week of the season. Why was Seattle in Cleveland instead of the other way around. Why was Tampa in NY?

The article said they tried that one year and the next week they still had bad weather.

But the DH idea does have merit. Owners would complain about the lost revenue but CLE lost a bunch of revenue this week.

smith288
04-09-2007, 12:36 PM
I had about enough of this Global Warming Mr Gore keeps harping on us about. :P

NatiRedGals
04-09-2007, 12:42 PM
Force all new stadiums from now on to have retractable roofs.

Season used to start in mid April, that wouldn't be a bad thing.

I love the roof idea!!!!! But i would miss baseball if we have to wait 2 more weeks:laugh:

BRM
04-09-2007, 12:43 PM
But the DH idea does have merit. Owners would complain about the lost revenue but CLE lost a bunch of revenue this week.

I think owners would definitely resist scheduling that many doubleheaders. Too much lost revenue.

Chip R
04-09-2007, 12:45 PM
Absolutely no way they (MLB, owners, and players' union) will ever eliminate games. Too much TV money, ticket money, concessions, and for the players, contract incentives to eliminate any games.

That might be short-sighted thinking, though. Even if those games hadn't been snowed out or played in cold weather, you would think you could get more people to a DH in July when the weather is warm than you could to a game in early April. I went to the game here yesterday and they said there was 14K people there but there couldn't have been more than 5,000 people there. Less people at a game means less tickets, merchandise, beer and food sold there not to mention parking.

puca
04-09-2007, 01:05 PM
1.) Start the season a week later. Not only a better chance for decent weather, but avoid having opening day coincide with the College Basketball National Championship Game. I think the DH idea is great. I used to absolutely LOVE hunkering down for a whole afternoon and evening of baseball.

2.) Schedule most first week games in warm weather cities.

FlightRick
04-09-2007, 01:24 PM
My solution? Quit obsessing over a problem that only exists MAYBE one year out of 10, and which isn't really a problem to begin with. I don't care if you're a fan or a player, you are *not* entitled to be pampered 24/7; you are, however, obligated to take the cards dealt you and make the best of them.

Look, I don't want to get off on a rant here, but as one of southwest Ohio's finer baseball umpires, I've called my fair share of games in the month of March, and have always operated under the philosophy that significant snow on the ground is bad (but 9 times out of 10, the school district/park district takes the decision out of your hands on that call), but if it's just cold, you gear up, you nut up, and you play. It's not like it's 31 and windy on the pitcher's mound and 55 and sunny at home plate; everybody's dealing with the same thing, so just deal. Of course, I guess what I'm not taking into account is that at some point in the last 6-8 years or so, America's gone all nancy on us, and now, sometimes I'll vote to play a game, and two coaches will agree that they'd rather not. What the hell? I get paid the same if I freeze my sweet caboose off or not.

Oh for the days when they didn't even give us Indoor Recess unless it was like minus-5 degrees outside. Today, high pollen counts are grounds for indoor recess, and even if they let you out, you're forbidden to play dodgeball or any game that might cause light bruising in your weaker children. The people who have made those decision must be the same ones who think that MLB needs to make any sort of changes to scheduling based on one weekend's worth of meteorological inconvenience. Fie on all of them, and on all the other many ways we're becoming a culture that caters to the petulant whining of the Lowest Common Denominator in order to keep them safe and placated....

flyer85
04-09-2007, 01:28 PM
why didn't MLB schedule the WSox/Twins in Minny instead of Chicago?

Why didn't MLB schedule the Mariners/Indians for Seattle instead of Cleveland?

Shouldn't Arizona/SD/LA be @ home for the first week?

MLB scheduled their own problems. Sure the snow is rare but the potential is always there. Now MLB has a real headache trying to figure out how to make up 4 games when Seattle isn't scheduled to come back to Cleveland.

Reds Fanatic
04-09-2007, 02:03 PM
MLB has moved the Indians series against the Angels to Milwaukee's Miller Park this week. There was more cold weather forecast for Cleveland this week so they are moving to Miller Park which has a retractable roof.

dougdirt
04-09-2007, 02:05 PM
Yeah, becuase that makes sense. MLB is stupid.

Redsland
04-09-2007, 02:16 PM
...so they are moving to Miller Park which has a retractable roof.
That leaks.

I'm sure it's a coincidence that it's also the Commissioner's home park.

KittyDuran
04-09-2007, 02:36 PM
That leaks.

I'm sure it's a coincidence that it's also the Commissioner's home park.:fineprint ;)

Chip R
04-09-2007, 03:11 PM
MLB has moved the Indians series against the Angels to Milwaukee's Miller Park this week. There was more cold weather forecast for Cleveland this week so they are moving to Miller Park which has a retractable roof.

They did this for Major League. I'm sure the Indians hope it works out as well for them now as it did then. ;)

toledodan
04-09-2007, 03:16 PM
i wonder if the indians contacted the reds about having the series at GABP? it would have got some indian fans to the game and made the city a little extra money.

TeamBoone
04-09-2007, 03:19 PM
The article said they tried that one year and the next week they still had bad weather.

I love double headers BUT........ I hate the drawback. The second game always seems to feature the bench players. I don't like that because it doesn't give your team the same chance of winning.

RBA
04-09-2007, 03:20 PM
i wonder if the indians contacted the reds about having the series at GABP? it would have got some indian fans to the game and made the city a little extra money.

Good idea, except the GABP does not have a retractable roof. And I'm sure they much rather have the safety net of a roof than a few more fans in Cincinnati.

Chip R
04-09-2007, 03:20 PM

I don't know. But it's still going to be a little chilly here at night this week so maybe they thought it would be better to have them in a facility with a roof.

Dunner44
04-09-2007, 03:27 PM
They did this for Major League. I'm sure the Indians hope it works out as well for them now as it did then. ;)

They'll still need hats for bats... keep bats warm. Gracias.

REDREAD
04-09-2007, 03:33 PM
Less people at a game means less tickets, merchandise, beer and food sold there not to mention parking.

Yes, since the Reds "live" on concessions, I bet Allen was in a crabby mood. :laugh:

REDREAD
04-09-2007, 03:35 PM

Boy that would stink if you bought tickets and then the game changed cities on you.

guttle11
04-09-2007, 03:37 PM
Good idea, except the GABP does not have a retractable roof. And I'm sure they much rather have the safety net of a roof than a few more fans in Cincinnati.

But it's supposed to be in the 50s this week. There's only one real reason why they moved it to Milwaukee.

Just play three day games in Cincy. If they are moving the games, I'm sure attendance is not the issue.

Reds Fanatic
04-09-2007, 03:41 PM
But it's supposed to be in the 50s this week. There's only one real reason why they moved it to Milwaukee.

Just play three day games in Cincy. If they are moving the games, I'm sure attendance is not the issue.
I am sure one reason they not want to play them outdoors in Cincy or Cleveland is rain is likely Wednesday and they can't afford any more rainouts when they are already going to have a hard time making up the 4 games they lost this weekend. The Indians have another home series next weekend and the early forecast is for more rain.

Caseyfan21
04-09-2007, 03:43 PM
That really stinks for Cleveland and their fans. Just think if you bought a ticket to these games. The Indians will have to refund all tickets sold to these games as well as lose all that concession and merchandise money. Not to mention local Cleveland restaurants and bars around the stadium losing money (although fans could show up to watch on TV so probably a non issue). Still, this is like 3 away games for the Indians in that they don't get to stay at home and have all the comforts of knowing their park. Really raw deal for them and hopefully it doesn't come back to hurt them in the long run.

huber14
04-09-2007, 03:46 PM
so how big do you think the crowds will be at these 3 games in Milwaukee? My guess is around 4,000

redsfan1966
04-09-2007, 03:48 PM
This is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard of...playing Tribe-Angels in Milwaukee....if they moved the series to Anaheim, at least I would understand it...but Milwaukee???? Listen...I know the original story in this thread mentioned that when MLB tried starting the season in roofed stadia and warm weather sites it still backfired...but why not just do it every year just in case??? Why make players and fans suffer during frigid conditions anyway??? Isnt it about making the paying customer happy??? And yes, I would make it so that the Cincy home opener is untouched....other than that, start all other series in warm weather or roofed stadiums!!! It just makes sense!

Chip R
04-09-2007, 04:06 PM
That really stinks for Cleveland and their fans. Just think if you bought a ticket to these games. The Indians will have to refund all tickets sold to these games as well as lose all that concession and merchandise money. Not to mention local Cleveland restaurants and bars around the stadium losing money (although fans could show up to watch on TV so probably a non issue). Still, this is like 3 away games for the Indians in that they don't get to stay at home and have all the comforts of knowing their park. Really raw deal for them and hopefully it doesn't come back to hurt them in the long run.

And that was my point earlier in scheduling DHs. Owners don't want to lose a date's revenue but look how much they lost in refunds and concessions. Even if the weather is normal it still gets pretty chilly in the evenings in the Midwest and Northeast, not to mention Denver. Having a DH in June or July might attract more people to the park since it's warmer. Plus you sell more stuff the longer that they are there. Waiting a week may not be a perfect solution but odds are you are going to get better weather.

westofyou
04-09-2007, 04:11 PM
This list shows games played by major league clubs in a ballpark and/or city that is not home to either team. There have been many reasons that these games have been moved through the years such as Sunday Blue Laws, park capacity and fires. Most of these games are between teams in the same league but a few of the Montreal games in San Juan are interleague.

(1/29/2007): 5/30/1882 revised
(9/5/2006): added four World Series games in 1914-15
(8/7/2006): corrected typos; added 9/2/1929
(10/26/2005): 9/2/1912
(06/17/2005): Reason for 1894 Philadelphia games
(04/2/2005): 1892

Date DH Lg Visitor Lg Home Park, City (Reason - listed at bottom)
05/13/1871 NA Washington NA Cleveland Lincoln Park Grounds, Cincinnati OH
07/04/1871 NA Washington NA Boston Lincoln Park Grounds, Cincinnati OH
07/08/1871 NA Ft. Wayne NA Washington Madison Avenue Grounds, Baltimore MD
07/22/1871 NA Philadelphia NA Cleveland Lincoln Park Grounds, Cincinnati OH
06/21/1872 NA Brooklyn NA Middletown Hartford Trotting Park, Hartford CT
07/03/1872 NA Boston NA Middletown Hartford Trotting Park, Hartford CT
07/23/1872 NA Troy NA Middletown Hampden Park Race Track, Springfield MA
08/09/1872 NA Brooklyn NA Middletown Hartford Trotting Park, Hartford CT
07/04/1873 NA Brooklyn NA New York Elysian Field, Hoboken NJ
07/16/1873 NA Philadelphia NA Boston Hampden Park Race Track, Springfield MA
04/29/1875 NA Boston NA Washington Richmond Fair Grounds, Richmond VA
05/01/1875 NA Boston NA Washington Richmond Fair Grounds, Richmond VA
05/14/1875 NA Washington NA Boston Hampden Park Race Track, Springfield MA
06/12/1875 NA New Haven NA Hartford Adelaide Avenue Grounds, Providence RI
06/22/1875 NA Brooklyn NA Boston Adelaide Avenue Grounds, Providence RI
06/24/1875 NA New Haven NA Philadelphia Fairview Park Fair Grounds, Dover DE
09/21/1875 NA Hartford NA Philadelphia Star Baseball Park, Covington KY
09/22/1875 NA St. Louis NA Philadelphia Ludlow Baseball Park, Ludlow KY
08/22/1878 NL Providence NL Indianapolis Union Park, Pittsburgh PA
08/23/1878 NL Providence NL Indianapolis Union Park, Pittsburgh PA
08/24/1878 NL Providence NL Indianapolis Union Park, Pittsburgh PA
09/11/1880 NL Providence NL Troy Riverside Park, Albany NY
06/15/1881 NL Cleveland NL Troy Riverside Park, Albany NY
09/10/1881 NL Worcester NL Troy Riverside Park, Albany NY
05/16/1882 NL Providence NL Troy Riverside Park, Albany NY
05/17/1882 NL Providence NL Troy Riverside Park, Albany NY
05/18/1882 NL Providence NL Troy Riverside Park, Albany NY
05/30/1882 1 NL Chicago NL Troy Greenbush Grounds, Greenbush (now in Rennselaer) NY
05/30/1882 2 NL Chicago NL Troy Putnam Grounds, Troy NY
08/25/1884 UA Washington UA Baltimore Monumental Park, Baltimore MD
08/25/1884 UA St. Louis UA Pittsburgh Exposition Park I, Pittsburgh PA
08/26/1884 UA St. Louis UA Pittsburgh Exposition Park I, Pittsburgh PA
08/27/1884 UA St. Louis UA Pittsburgh Exposition Park I, Pittsburgh PA
08/29/1884 UA St. Louis UA Pittsburgh Exposition Park I, Pittsburgh PA
08/30/1884 UA St. Louis UA Pittsburgh Exposition Park I, Pittsburgh PA
09/04/1885 NL Chicago NL Buffalo Wright Street Grounds, Milwaukee WI
09/25/1885 NL Chicago NL Providence Wright Street Grounds, Milwaukee WI
10/10/1885 1 NL Providence NL Buffalo Maple Avenue Driving Park, Elmira NY
10/10/1885 2 NL Providence NL Buffalo Maple Avenue Driving Park, Elmira NY
08/21/1887 AA New York AA Cleveland Cedar Avenue Driving Park, Cleveland OH (6)
09/11/1887 AA Louisville AA New York Monitor Park, Weehawken NJ
06/10/1888 AA Baltimore AA Philadelphia Gloucester Point Grounds, Gloucester City NJ
07/22/1888 AA Baltimore AA Cleveland Beyerle's Park, Geauga Lake OH (6)
07/29/1888 AA St. Louis AA Cleveland Beyerle's Park, Geauga Lake OH (6)
08/26/1888 AA St. Louis AA Cleveland Beyerle's Park, Geauga Lake OH (6)
09/02/1888 AA Louisville AA Cleveland Beyerle's Park, Geauga Lake OH (6)
04/24/1889 NL Boston NL New York Oakdale Park, Jersey City NJ
04/25/1889 NL Boston NL New York Oakdale Park, Jersey City NJ
04/29/1889 NA Washington NL New York St. George Cricket Grounds, St. George NY
04/30/1889 NA Washington NL New York St. George Cricket Grounds, St. George NY
05/01/1889 NA Washington NL New York St. George Cricket Grounds, St. George NY
05/02/1889 NA Washington NL New York St. George Cricket Grounds, St. George NY
05/13/1889 NL Cleveland NL New York St. George Cricket Grounds, St. George NY
05/14/1889 NL Cleveland NL New York St. George Cricket Grounds, St. George NY
05/15/1889 NL Cleveland NL New York St. George Cricket Grounds, St. George NY
05/16/1889 NL Cleveland NL New York St. George Cricket Grounds, St. George NY
05/17/1889 NL Pittsburgh NL New York St. George Cricket Grounds, St. George NY
05/18/1889 NL Pittsburgh NL New York St. George Cricket Grounds, St. George NY
05/21/1889 NL Pittsburgh NL New York St. George Cricket Grounds, St. George NY
05/22/1889 NL Chicago NL New York St. George Cricket Grounds, St. George NY
05/23/1889 NL Chicago NL New York St. George Cricket Grounds, St. George NY
05/24/1889 NL Chicago NL New York St. George Cricket Grounds, St. George NY
05/25/1889 NL Chicago NL New York St. George Cricket Grounds, St. George NY
05/28/1889 NL Indianapolis NL New York St. George Cricket Grounds, St. George NY
05/29/1889 NL Indianapolis NL New York St. George Cricket Grounds, St. George NY
05/30/1889 1 NL Indianapolis NL New York St. George Cricket Grounds, St. George NY
05/30/1889 2 NL Indianapolis NL New York St. George Cricket Grounds, St. George NY
06/10/1889 NL Boston NL New York St. George Cricket Grounds, St. George NY
06/11/1889 NL Boston NL New York St. George Cricket Grounds, St. George NY
06/13/1889 NL Philadelphia NL New York St. George Cricket Grounds, St. George NY
06/14/1889 NL Philadelphia NL New York St. George Cricket Grounds, St. George NY
07/27/1890 AA Columbus AA Brooklyn Long Island Grounds, Maspeth NY
07/30/1890 NL Brooklyn NL Cleveland Indianapolis Park, Indianapolis IN
07/31/1890 NL New York NL Cleveland Indianapolis Park, Indianapolis IN
08/02/1890 NL New York NL Cleveland Indianapolis Park, Indianapolis IN
08/03/1890 AA Toledo AA Brooklyn Long Island Grounds, Maspeth NY
09/18/1890 NL Cleveland NL Pittsburgh Mahaffey Park, Canton OH
09/22/1890 NL New York NL Pittsburgh Island Grounds, Wheeling WV
10/02/1891 AA Columbus AA Milwaukee Athletic Park, Minneapolis MN
08/23/1892 1 NL Boston NL St. Louis Association Park, Kansas City MO
08/23/1892 2 NL Boston NL St. Louis Association Park, Kansas City MO
10/15/1892 NL Chicago NL St. Louis Association Park, Kansas City MO
08/11/1894 1 NL Washington NL Philadelphia University of Penn. Athletic Field, Philadelphia PA (13)
08/11/1894 2 NL Washington NL Philadelphia University of Penn. Athletic Field, Philadelphia PA (13)
08/14/1894 NL Louisville NL Philadelphia University of Penn. Athletic Field, Philadelphia PA (13)
08/15/1894 NL Louisville NL Philadelphia University of Penn. Athletic Field, Philadelphia PA (13)
08/16/1894 NL Louisville NL Philadelphia University of Penn. Athletic Field, Philadelphia PA (13)
08/17/1894 NL Louisville NL Philadelphia University of Penn. Athletic Field, Philadelphia PA (13)
06/12/1898 NL Pittsburgh NL Cleveland Euclid Beach Park, Collinwood OH (6)
06/19/1898 NL Pittsburgh NL Cleveland Euclid Beach Park, Collinwood OH (6)
08/11/1898 NL Baltimore NL Cleveland Baker Bowl, Philadelphia PA
08/27/1898 NL Brooklyn NL Cleveland Culver Field II, Rochester NY
08/28/1898 NL Brooklyn NL Cleveland Ontario Beach Grounds, Rochester NY
08/29/1898 NL Brooklyn NL Cleveland Culver Field II, Rochester NY
09/11/1898 NL Washington NL New York West New York Field Club Grounds, West New York NJ
09/18/1898 NL New York NL Brooklyn West New York Field Club Grounds, West New York NJ
10/02/1898 NL Washington NL Brooklyn West New York Field Club Grounds, West New York NJ
10/08/1898 NL St. Louis NL Cleveland West Side Grounds, Chicago IL
06/04/1899 NL Louisville NL New York West New York Field Club Grounds, West New York NJ
07/16/1899 NL St. Louis NL New York West New York Field Club Grounds, West New York NJ
08/13/1899 NL Louisville NL New York West New York Field Club Grounds, West New York NJ
09/17/1899 NL St. Louis NL New York West New York Field Club Grounds, West New York NJ
09/24/1899 2 NL Louisville NL Cleveland Robison Field, St. Louis MO
06/08/1902 AL Baltimore AL Cleveland Fairview Park, Dayton OH
06/15/1902 AL Boston AL Cleveland Mahaffey Park, Canton OH (6)
06/22/1902 AL Washington AL Cleveland Jailhouse Flats, Fort Wayne IN
08/03/1902 AL Washington AL Cleveland Neil Park I, Columbus OH
08/31/1902 AL Boston AL Cleveland Jailhouse Flats, Fort Wayne IN
05/10/1903 AL Detroit AL Cleveland Mahaffey Park, Canton OH (6)
05/17/1903 AL New York AL Cleveland Neil Park I, Columbus OH
05/24/1903 AL Washington AL Detroit Ramona Park, Grand Rapids MI
06/21/1903 AL Boston AL Cleveland Mahaffey Park, Canton OH (6)
06/28/1903 AL Philadelphia AL Detroit Armory Park, Toledo OH
08/16/1903 AL New York AL Detroit Armory Park, Toledo OH
08/20/1903 NL St. Louis NL Philadelphia Columbia Park, Philadelphia PA (2)
08/21/1903 1 NL St. Louis NL Philadelphia Columbia Park, Philadelphia PA (2)
08/21/1903 2 NL St. Louis NL Philadelphia Columbia Park, Philadelphia PA (2)
08/22/1903 1 NL Pittsburgh NL Philadelphia Columbia Park, Philadelphia PA (2)
08/22/1903 2 NL Pittsburgh NL Philadelphia Columbia Park, Philadelphia PA (2)
08/24/1903 NL Pittsburgh NL Philadelphia Columbia Park, Philadelphia PA (2)
08/25/1903 1 NL Pittsburgh NL Philadelphia Columbia Park, Philadelphia PA (2)
08/25/1903 2 NL Pittsburgh NL Philadelphia Columbia Park, Philadelphia PA (2)
09/02/1903 1 NL Boston NL Philadelphia Columbia Park, Philadelphia PA (2)
09/02/1903 2 NL Boston NL Philadelphia Columbia Park, Philadelphia PA (2)
09/03/1903 1 NL Boston NL Philadelphia Columbia Park, Philadelphia PA (2)
09/03/1903 2 NL Boston NL Philadelphia Columbia Park, Philadelphia PA (2)
09/04/1903 1 NL Boston NL Philadelphia Columbia Park, Philadelphia PA (2)
09/04/1903 2 NL Boston NL Philadelphia Columbia Park, Philadelphia PA (2)
09/06/1903 NL Philadelphia NL Boston Rocky Point Park, Warwick RI
09/10/1903 1 NL New York NL Philadelphia Columbia Park, Philadelphia PA (2)
09/10/1903 2 NL New York NL Philadelphia Columbia Park, Philadelphia PA (2)
07/17/1904 AL Detroit AL New York Wiedenmayer's Park, Newark NJ
07/23/1905 AL Boston AL Detroit Neil Park II, Columbus OH (11)
07/24/1905 AL Boston AL Detroit Neil Park II, Columbus OH (11)
04/15/1911 NL Brooklyn NL New York Hilltop Park, New York NY (9)
04/17/1911 NL Brooklyn NL New York Hilltop Park, New York NY (9)
04/18/1911 NL Brooklyn NL New York Hilltop Park, New York NY (9)
04/19/1911 NL Brooklyn NL New York Hilltop Park, New York NY (9)
04/25/1911 NL Boston NL New York Hilltop Park, New York NY (9)
04/26/1911 NL Boston NL New York Hilltop Park, New York NY (9)
04/27/1911 NL Boston NL New York Hilltop Park, New York NY (9)
04/28/1911 NL Boston NL New York Hilltop Park, New York NY (9)
05/09/1911 NL Chicago NL New York Hilltop Park, New York NY (9)
05/10/1911 NL Chicago NL New York Hilltop Park, New York NY (9)
05/11/1911 NL Chicago NL New York Hilltop Park, New York NY (9)
05/12/1911 NL Chicago NL New York Hilltop Park, New York NY (9)
05/13/1911 NL St. Louis NL New York Hilltop Park, New York NY (9)
05/15/1911 NL St. Louis NL New York Hilltop Park, New York NY (9)
05/16/1911 NL St. Louis NL New York Hilltop Park, New York NY (9)
05/17/1911 NL Chicago NL New York Hilltop Park, New York NY (9)
05/18/1911 NL Pittsburgh NL New York Hilltop Park, New York NY (9)
05/19/1911 NL Pittsburgh NL New York Hilltop Park, New York NY (9)
05/20/1911 NL Pittsburgh NL New York Hilltop Park, New York NY (9)
05/22/1911 NL Pittsburgh NL New York Hilltop Park, New York NY (9)
05/23/1911 NL Cincinnati NL New York Hilltop Park, New York NY (9)
05/24/1911 NL Cincinnati NL New York Hilltop Park, New York NY (9)
05/25/1911 NL Cincinnati NL New York Hilltop Park, New York NY (9)
05/26/1911 NL Philadelphia NL New York Hilltop Park, New York NY (9)
05/27/1911 NL Philadelphia NL New York Hilltop Park, New York NY (9)
05/29/1911 NL Philadelphia NL New York Hilltop Park, New York NY (9)
05/30/1911 1 NL Brooklyn NL New York Hilltop Park, New York NY (9)
05/30/1911 2 NL Brooklyn NL New York Hilltop Park, New York NY (9)
05/30/1912 AL Philadelphia AL New York Polo Grounds V, New York NY (12)
09/02/1912 1 AL Boston AL New York Polo Grounds V, New York NY (12)
09/02/1912 2 AL Boston AL New York Polo Grounds V, New York NY (12)
04/19/1913 1 NL New York NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (12)
04/19/1913 2 NL New York NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (12)
05/30/1913 1 NL Brooklyn NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (12)
05/30/1913 2 NL Brooklyn NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (12)
08/01/1914 NL St. Louis NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (6)
08/08/1914 NL Cincinnati NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (6)
09/07/1914 1 NL New York NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (12)
09/07/1914 2 NL New York NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (12)
09/08/1914 NL New York NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (12)
09/09/1914 1 NL Philadelphia NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (12)
09/09/1914 2 NL Philadelphia NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (12)
09/10/1914 1 NL Philadelphia NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (12)
09/10/1914 2 NL Philadelphia NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (12)
09/11/1914 NL Philadelphia NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (12)
09/12/1914 NL Brooklyn NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (12)
09/14/1914 NL Brooklyn NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (12)
09/15/1914 NL Brooklyn NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (12)
09/16/1914 NL St. Louis NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (12)
09/17/1914 NL St. Louis NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (12)
09/18/1914 NL St. Louis NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (12)
09/19/1914 NL Pittsburgh NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (12)
09/21/1914 NL Pittsburgh NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (12)
09/22/1914 NL Pittsburgh NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (12)
09/23/1914 1 NL Cincinnati NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (12)
09/23/1914 2 NL Cincinnati NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (12)
09/24/1914 1 NL Cincinnati NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (12)
09/24/1914 2 NL Cincinnati NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (12)
09/25/1914 1 NL Cincinnati NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (12)
09/25/1914 2 NL Cincinnati NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (12)
09/26/1914 1 NL Chicago NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (12)
09/26/1914 2 NL Chicago NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (12)
09/28/1914 NL Chicago NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (12)
09/29/1914 NL Chicago NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (12)
10/12/1914 AL Philadelphia NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (12) [World Series]
10/13/1914 AL Philadelphia NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (12) [World Series]
04/14/1915 NL Philadelphia NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (14)
04/15/1915 NL Philadelphia NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (14)
04/17/1915 NL Brooklyn NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (14)
04/19/1915 1 NL Brooklyn NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (14)
04/19/1915 2 NL Brooklyn NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (14)
04/20/1915 NL Brooklyn NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (14)
04/21/1915 NL Brooklyn NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (14)
05/06/1915 NL New York NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (14)
05/07/1915 NL New York NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (14)
05/08/1915 NL New York NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (14)
05/10/1915 NL New York NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (14)
05/11/1915 NL St. Louis NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (14)
05/12/1915 NL St. Louis NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (14)
05/14/1915 NL St. Louis NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (14)
05/15/1915 NL Pittsburgh NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (14)
05/18/1915 NL Pittsburgh NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (14)
05/19/1915 NL Pittsburgh NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (14)
05/20/1915 NL Chicago NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (14)
05/21/1915 NL Chicago NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (14)
05/22/1915 NL Chicago NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (14)
05/24/1915 NL Chicago NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (14)
05/25/1915 NL Cincinnati NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (14)
05/27/1915 NL Cincinnati NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (14)
05/28/1915 1 NL Philadelphia NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (14)
05/28/1915 2 NL Philadelphia NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (14)
05/29/1915 NL Philadelphia NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (14)
05/31/1915 1 NL Philadelphia NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (14)
05/31/1915 2 NL Philadelphia NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (14)
06/01/1915 NL New York NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (14)
06/02/1915 NL New York NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (14)
06/03/1915 NL New York NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (14)
06/22/1915 NL Brooklyn NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (14)
06/23/1915 NL Brooklyn NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (14)
06/24/1915 NL Brooklyn NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (14)
07/09/1915 NL St. Louis NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (14)
07/10/1915 1 NL St. Louis NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (14)
07/10/1915 2 NL St. Louis NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (14)
07/12/1915 1 NL St. Louis NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (14)
07/12/1915 2 NL St. Louis NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (14)
07/13/1915 1 NL Pittsburgh NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (14)
07/13/1915 2 NL Pittsburgh NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (14)
07/15/1915 NL Pittsburgh NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (14)
07/16/1915 NL Pittsburgh NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (14)
07/17/1915 1 NL Cincinnati NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (14)
07/17/1915 2 NL Cincinnati NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (14)
07/19/1915 NL Cincinnati NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (14)
07/20/1915 NL Cincinnati NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (14)
07/21/1915 NL Cincinnati NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (14)
07/22/1915 NL Chicago NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (14)
07/23/1915 NL Chicago NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (14)
07/24/1915 NL Chicago NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (14)
07/26/1915 NL Chicago NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (14)
10/11/1915 NL Philadelphia AL Boston Braves Field, Boston MA (12) [World Series]
10/12/1915 NL Philadelphia AL Boston Braves Field, Boston MA (12) [World Series]
05/16/1927 NL St. Louis NL Philadelphia Shibe Park, Philadelphia PA (10)
05/17/1927 NL St. Louis NL Philadelphia Shibe Park, Philadelphia PA (10)
05/20/1927 1 NL Cincinnati NL Philadelphia Shibe Park, Philadelphia PA (10)
05/20/1927 2 NL Cincinnati NL Philadelphia Shibe Park, Philadelphia PA (10)
05/21/1927 1 NL Cincinnati NL Philadelphia Shibe Park, Philadelphia PA (10)
05/21/1927 2 NL Cincinnati NL Philadelphia Shibe Park, Philadelphia PA (10)
05/23/1927 NL Brooklyn NL Philadelphia Shibe Park, Philadelphia PA (10)
05/24/1927 NL Brooklyn NL Philadelphia Shibe Park, Philadelphia PA (10)
05/27/1927 1 NL Boston NL Philadelphia Shibe Park, Philadelphia PA (10)
05/27/1927 2 NL Boston NL Philadelphia Shibe Park, Philadelphia PA (10)
05/28/1927 1 NL Boston NL Philadelphia Shibe Park, Philadelphia PA (10)
05/28/1927 2 NL Boston NL Philadelphia Shibe Park, Philadelphia PA (10)
04/28/1929 AL Philadelphia AL Boston Braves Field, Boston, MA (6)
05/26/1929 AL New York AL Boston Braves Field, Boston, MA (6)
06/02/1929 AL Cleveland AL Boston Braves Field, Boston, MA (6)
06/09/1929 AL Detroit AL Boston Braves Field, Boston, MA (6)
06/16/1929 AL St. Louis AL Boston Braves Field, Boston, MA (6)
06/30/1929 AL New York AL Boston Braves Field, Boston, MA (6)
07/28/1929 AL Detroit AL Boston Braves Field, Boston, MA (6)
08/04/1929 AL Chicago AL Boston Braves Field, Boston, MA (6)
09/01/1929 AL New York AL Boston Braves Field, Boston, MA (6)
09/02/1929 1 AL Washington AL Boston Braves Field, Boston, MA (6)
09/02/1929 2 AL Washington AL Boston Braves Field, Boston, MA (6)
09/08/1929 1 AL St. Louis AL Boston Braves Field, Boston, MA (6)
09/08/1929 2 AL St. Louis AL Boston Braves Field, Boston, MA (6)
09/15/1929 1 AL Chicago AL Boston Braves Field, Boston, MA (6)
09/15/1929 2 AL Chicago AL Boston Braves Field, Boston, MA (6)
09/22/1929 AL Cleveland AL Boston Braves Field, Boston, MA (6)
09/29/1929 AL Philadelphia AL Boston Braves Field, Boston, MA (6)
04/20/1930 AL Philadelphia AL Boston Braves Field, Boston, MA (6)
05/04/1930 AL Cleveland AL Boston Braves Field, Boston, MA (6)
05/11/1930 AL St. Louis AL Boston Braves Field, Boston, MA (6)
05/18/1930 AL New York AL Boston Braves Field, Boston, MA (6)
06/22/1930 1 AL Detroit AL Boston Braves Field, Boston, MA (6)
06/22/1930 2 AL Detroit AL Boston Braves Field, Boston, MA (6)
06/29/1930 1 AL Chicago AL Boston Braves Field, Boston, MA (6)
06/29/1930 2 AL Chicago AL Boston Braves Field, Boston, MA (6)
07/06/1930 AL Philadelphia AL Boston Braves Field, Boston, MA (6)
08/10/1930 AL Detroit AL Boston Braves Field, Boston, MA (6)
08/17/1930 1 AL Cleveland AL Boston Braves Field, Boston, MA (6)
08/17/1930 2 AL Cleveland AL Boston Braves Field, Boston, MA (6)
08/24/1930 1 AL Chicago AL Boston Braves Field, Boston, MA (6)
08/24/1930 2 AL Chicago AL Boston Braves Field, Boston, MA (6)
08/31/1930 AL Philadelphia AL Boston Braves Field, Boston, MA (6)
09/28/1930 AL New York AL Boston Braves Field, Boston, MA (6)
05/31/1931 1 AL Philadelphia AL Boston Braves Field, Boston, MA (6)
05/31/1931 2 AL Philadelphia AL Boston Braves Field, Boston, MA (6)
06/07/1931 AL St. Louis AL Boston Braves Field, Boston, MA (6)
06/14/1931 AL Chicago AL Boston Braves Field, Boston, MA (6)
07/12/1931 1 AL Philadelphia AL Boston Braves Field, Boston, MA (6)
07/12/1931 2 AL Philadelphia AL Boston Braves Field, Boston, MA (6)
07/19/1931 AL Cleveland AL Boston Braves Field, Boston, MA (6)
07/26/1931 1 AL Detroit AL Boston Braves Field, Boston, MA (6)
07/26/1931 2 AL Detroit AL Boston Braves Field, Boston, MA (6)
08/02/1931 1 AL New York AL Boston Braves Field, Boston, MA (6)
08/02/1931 2 AL New York AL Boston Braves Field, Boston, MA (6)
08/30/1931 AL New York AL Boston Braves Field, Boston, MA (6)
09/06/1931 AL Philadelphia AL Boston Braves Field, Boston, MA (6)
09/13/1931 1 AL Chicago AL Boston Braves Field, Boston, MA (6)
09/13/1931 2 AL Chicago AL Boston Braves Field, Boston, MA (6)
05/08/1932 AL St. Louis AL Boston Braves Field, Boston, MA (6)
05/15/1932 AL Chicago AL Boston Braves Field, Boston, MA (6)
05/29/1932 1 AL Philadelphia AL Boston Braves Field, Boston, MA (6)
05/29/1932 2 AL Philadelphia AL Boston Braves Field, Boston, MA (6)
04/28/1946 1 NL Philadelphia NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (1)
04/28/1946 2 NL Philadelphia NL Boston Fenway Park, Boston MA (1)
04/19/1956 NL Philadelphia NL Brooklyn Roosevelt Stadium, Jersey City NJ (5)
05/16/1956 NL St. Louis NL Brooklyn Roosevelt Stadium, Jersey City NJ (5)
06/25/1956 NL Chicago NL Brooklyn Roosevelt Stadium, Jersey City NJ (5)
07/25/1956 NL Cincinnati NL Brooklyn Roosevelt Stadium, Jersey City NJ (5)
07/31/1956 NL Milwaukee NL Brooklyn Roosevelt Stadium, Jersey City NJ (5)
08/07/1956 NL Pittsburgh NL Brooklyn Roosevelt Stadium, Jersey City NJ (5)
08/15/1956 NL New York NL Brooklyn Roosevelt Stadium, Jersey City NJ (5)
04/22/1957 NL Philadelphia NL Brooklyn Roosevelt Stadium, Jersey City NJ (5)
05/03/1957 NL St. Louis NL Brooklyn Roosevelt Stadium, Jersey City NJ (5)
06/05/1957 NL Chicago NL Brooklyn Roosevelt Stadium, Jersey City NJ (5)
06/10/1957 NL Milwaukee NL Brooklyn Roosevelt Stadium, Jersey City NJ (5)
07/12/1957 NL Cincinnati NL Brooklyn Roosevelt Stadium, Jersey City NJ (5)
08/07/1957 NL New York NL Brooklyn Roosevelt Stadium, Jersey City NJ (5)
08/16/1957 NL Pittsburgh NL Brooklyn Roosevelt Stadium, Jersey City NJ (5)
09/03/1957 NL Philadelphia NL Brooklyn Roosevelt Stadium, Jersey City NJ (5)
05/15/1968 AL California AL Chicago County Stadium, Milwaukee WI (5)
05/28/1968 AL Baltimore AL Chicago County Stadium, Milwaukee WI (5)
06/17/1968 AL Cleveland AL Chicago County Stadium, Milwaukee WI (5)
06/24/1968 AL Minnesota AL Chicago County Stadium, Milwaukee WI (5)
07/11/1968 AL New York AL Chicago County Stadium, Milwaukee WI (5)
07/22/1968 AL Oakland AL Chicago County Stadium, Milwaukee WI (5)
08/02/1968 AL Washington AL Chicago County Stadium, Milwaukee WI (5)
08/08/1968 AL Boston AL Chicago County Stadium, Milwaukee WI (5)
08/26/1968 AL Detroit AL Chicago County Stadium, Milwaukee WI (5)
04/23/1969 AL California AL Chicago County Stadium, Milwaukee WI (5)
05/22/1969 AL Detroit AL Chicago County Stadium, Milwaukee WI (5)
05/28/1969 AL New York AL Chicago County Stadium, Milwaukee WI (5)
06/11/1969 AL Cleveland AL Chicago County Stadium, Milwaukee WI (5)
06/16/1969 AL Seattle AL Chicago County Stadium, Milwaukee WI (5)
07/02/1969 AL Minnesota AL Chicago County Stadium, Milwaukee WI (5)
07/07/1969 AL Oakland AL Chicago County Stadium, Milwaukee WI (5)
08/06/1969 AL Washington AL Chicago County Stadium, Milwaukee WI (5)
08/13/1969 AL Boston AL Chicago County Stadium, Milwaukee WI (5)
09/01/1969 AL Baltimore AL Chicago County Stadium, Milwaukee WI (5)
09/26/1969 AL Kansas City AL Chicago County Stadium, Milwaukee WI (5)
04/01/1996 AL Toronto AL Oakland Cashman Field, Las Vegas NV (8)
04/03/1996 AL Toronto AL Oakland Cashman Field, Las Vegas NV (8)
04/04/1996 AL Detroit AL Oakland Cashman Field, Las Vegas NV (8)
04/05/1996 AL Detroit AL Oakland Cashman Field, Las Vegas NV (8)
04/06/1996 AL Detroit AL Oakland Cashman Field, Las Vegas NV (8)
04/07/1996 AL Detroit AL Oakland Cashman Field, Las Vegas NV (8)
08/16/1996 NL New York NL San Diego Estadio de Beisbol Monterrey, Monterrey MX (5)
08/17/1996 NL New York NL San Diego Estadio de Beisbol Monterrey, Monterrey MX (5)
08/18/1996 NL New York NL San Diego Estadio de Beisbol Monterrey, Monterrey MX (5)
04/19/1997 1 NL St. Louis NL San Diego Aloha Stadium, Honolulu HI (5)
04/19/1997 2 NL St. Louis NL San Diego Aloha Stadium, Honolulu HI (5)
04/20/1997 NL St. Louis NL San Diego Aloha Stadium, Honolulu HI (5)
04/15/1998 AL Anaheim AL New York Shea Stadium, New York NY (7)
04/04/1999 NL Colorado NL San Diego Estadio de Beisbol Monterrey, Monterrey MX (5)
03/29/2000 NL Chicago NL New York Tokyo Dome, Tokyo JAP (5)
03/30/2000 NL New York NL Chicago Tokyo Dome, Tokyo JAP (5)
04/01/2001 AL Texas AL Toronto Estadio Hiram Bithorn, San Juan PR (5)
04/11/2003 NL New York NL Montreal Estadio Hiram Bithorn, San Juan PR (4)
04/12/2003 NL New York NL Montreal Estadio Hiram Bithorn, San Juan PR (4)
04/13/2003 NL New York NL Montreal Estadio Hiram Bithorn, San Juan PR (4)
04/14/2003 NL New York NL Montreal Estadio Hiram Bithorn, San Juan PR (4)
04/15/2003 NL Atlanta NL Montreal Estadio Hiram Bithorn, San Juan PR (4)
04/16/2003 NL Atlanta NL Montreal Estadio Hiram Bithorn, San Juan PR (4)
04/17/2003 NL Atlanta NL Montreal Estadio Hiram Bithorn, San Juan PR (4)
04/19/2003 1 NL Cincinnati NL Montreal Estadio Hiram Bithorn, San Juan PR (4)
04/19/2003 2 NL Cincinnati NL Montreal Estadio Hiram Bithorn, San Juan PR (4)
04/20/2003 NL Cincinnati NL Montreal Estadio Hiram Bithorn, San Juan PR (4)
06/03/2003 AL Anaheim NL Montreal Estadio Hiram Bithorn, San Juan PR (4)
06/04/2003 AL Anaheim NL Montreal Estadio Hiram Bithorn, San Juan PR (4)
06/05/2003 AL Anaheim NL Montreal Estadio Hiram Bithorn, San Juan PR (4)
06/06/2003 AL Texas NL Montreal Estadio Hiram Bithorn, San Juan PR (4)
06/07/2003 AL Texas NL Montreal Estadio Hiram Bithorn, San Juan PR (4)
06/08/2003 AL Texas NL Montreal Estadio Hiram Bithorn, San Juan PR (4)
09/05/2003 NL Florida NL Montreal Estadio Hiram Bithorn, San Juan PR (4)
09/06/2003 NL Florida NL Montreal Estadio Hiram Bithorn, San Juan PR (4)
09/07/2003 NL Florida NL Montreal Estadio Hiram Bithorn, San Juan PR (4)
09/09/2003 NL Chicago NL Montreal Estadio Hiram Bithorn, San Juan PR (4)
09/10/2003 NL Chicago NL Montreal Estadio Hiram Bithorn, San Juan PR (4)
09/11/2003 NL Chicago NL Montreal Estadio Hiram Bithorn, San Juan PR (4)
03/30/2004 AL New York AL Tampa Bay Tokyo Dome, Tokyo JAP (5)
03/31/2004 AL New York AL Tampa Bay Tokyo Dome, Tokyo JAP (5)
04/09/2004 NL New York NL Montreal Estadio Hiram Bithorn, San Juan PR (4)
04/10/2004 NL New York NL Montreal Estadio Hiram Bithorn, San Juan PR (4)
04/11/2004 NL New York NL Montreal Estadio Hiram Bithorn, San Juan PR (4)
04/13/2004 NL Florida NL Montreal Estadio Hiram Bithorn, San Juan PR (4)
04/14/2004 NL Florida NL Montreal Estadio Hiram Bithorn, San Juan PR (4)
04/15/2004 NL Florida NL Montreal Estadio Hiram Bithorn, San Juan PR (4)
05/18/2004 NL Milwaukee NL Montreal Estadio Hiram Bithorn, San Juan PR (4)
05/19/2004 NL Milwaukee NL Montreal Estadio Hiram Bithorn, San Juan PR (4)
05/20/2004 NL Milwaukee NL Montreal Estadio Hiram Bithorn, San Juan PR (4)
05/21/2004 NL San Francisco NL Montreal Estadio Hiram Bithorn, San Juan PR (4)
05/22/2004 NL San Francisco NL Montreal Estadio Hiram Bithorn, San Juan PR (4)
07/02/2004 AL Toronto NL Montreal Estadio Hiram Bithorn, San Juan PR (4)
07/03/2004 AL Toronto NL Montreal Estadio Hiram Bithorn, San Juan PR (4)
07/04/2004 AL Toronto NL Montreal Estadio Hiram Bithorn, San Juan PR (4)
07/05/2004 NL Atlanta NL Montreal Estadio Hiram Bithorn, San Juan PR (4)
07/06/2004 NL Atlanta NL Montreal Estadio Hiram Bithorn, San Juan PR (4)
07/07/2004 NL Atlanta NL Montreal Estadio Hiram Bithorn, San Juan PR (4)
07/08/2004 NL Pittsburgh NL Montreal Estadio Hiram Bithorn, San Juan PR (4)
07/09/2004 NL Pittsburgh NL Montreal Estadio Hiram Bithorn, San Juan PR (4)
07/10/2004 NL Pittsburgh NL Montreal Estadio Hiram Bithorn, San Juan PR (4)
07/11/2004 NL Pittsburgh NL Montreal Estadio Hiram Bithorn, San Juan PR (4)
09/13/2004 NL Montreal NL Florida U.S. Cellular Field, Chicago IL (3)
09/14/2004 NL Montreal NL Florida U.S. Cellular Field, Chicago IL (3)

Reasons for move:
(1) Incomplete repairs at Braves Field
(2) Serious structural accident at the Baker Bowl
(3) Threat of Hurricane Ivan in Miami (did not occur)
(4) Alternate home site for Expos
(5) Marketing move by Major League Baseball
(6) Alternate park for Sunday and/or holiday games
(7) Structural accident at Yankee Stadium (falling concrete and steel)
(8) Incomplete football renovations to Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum
(9) Fire at Polo Grounds IV
(10) Collapse of the RF grandstand at Baker Bowl
(11) Opening of the Grand Circuit Trotting Meet in Detroit
(12) To accommodate large crowd
(13) Fire at Huntington Street Grounds
(14) Delay in the opening of Braves Field

Caveat Emperor
04-09-2007, 04:16 PM
I love double headers BUT........ I hate the drawback. The second game always seems to feature the bench players. I don't like that because it doesn't give your team the same chance of winning.

If doubleheaders are scheduled far enough in advance, it allows managers to anticipate playing one and adjust their bullpen use and roster-management accordingly. The problem with most modern doubleheaders is that they usually get played spur-of-the-momen: a rainout on Friday means a doubleheader on Saturday.

I'd also be in favor of adopting a rule change that allows a team playing a scheduled doubleheader to expand its roster to 27 players and allow for additional pitchers or position players to come up to the big-league roster to help ease the burden on a bullpen or a bench for the game.

The doubleheader idea can work within the confines of the current schedule. You can give a team 5 Sunday doubleheaders throughout the course of the year and work it out so that both teams get an off-day on Monday after a doubleheader. With that, you can push the start of the season back a full week.

Reds Fanatic
04-09-2007, 04:23 PM
One thing I used to like is when they scheduled DH's on holidays. I remember probably late 70s or early 80s attending a Reds-Dodgers DH on Memorial Day. It was a regularly scheduled DH not a makeup game. It used to be teams would have 2 to 3 DHs scheduled each year and many times teams would schedule them on holidays.

I would be in favor of a few DHs each year. You are never going to totally schedule around bad weather but DHs during warm weather months might help. Also MLB has to be smarter about scheduling. Cleveland is on a 10 game homestand. The weather in Cleveland is always bad this early a 10 game homestand is crazy for them especially against teams like Seattle making their only visit of the year.

Chip R
04-09-2007, 04:24 PM
The doubleheader idea can work within the confines of the current schedule. You can give a team 5 Sunday doubleheaders throughout the course of the year and work it out so that both teams get an off-day on Monday after a doubleheader. With that, you can push the start of the season back a full week.

Saturday DHs might be better. Start them at 5 in the afternoon and make a night of it. Sundays are travel days now and you get into extra innings in one or both games and mess up the travel plans.

remdog
04-09-2007, 04:47 PM
And that was my point earlier in scheduling DHs. Owners don't want to lose a date's revenue but look how much they lost in refunds and concessions. Even if the weather is normal it still gets pretty chilly in the evenings in the Midwest and Northeast, not to mention Denver. Having a DH in June or July might attract more people to the park since it's warmer. Plus you sell more stuff the longer that they are there. Waiting a week may not be a perfect solution but odds are you are going to get better weather.

And I think your point is well taken and a good idea.

I also like CE's idea to schedule them on Sunday and make Monday an off day for the players.

When I lived in Cleveland in the 60's Sunday Double Headers (DH to me means Designated Hitter, which I abhor) were pretty common. I used to go to the stadium and make a day of it. I also bought a lot more food and drink than I should have but that was part of the fun of it.

As for some of the bench players seeing some time on the field I didn't mind it. Usually the other team was in the same fix. And, sometimes, there was a player that I wanted to see that wasn't getting much playing time---say someone like a rookie just up. Encarnacion setting while Arulia played comes to mind. Or maybe a pitcher just up and starting the 2nd game against a slightly weaker lineup. Managers did that in those days.

Statagey actually involved who to play in what game so that was sometimes of added interest.

Rem

Reds Fanatic
04-09-2007, 07:24 PM
Snow is following the Mariners everywhere they go. They are expecting 6 inches of snow for the last game of the Mariners-Red Sox series on Thursday.

UGADaddy
04-09-2007, 07:36 PM
I had about enough of this Global Warming Mr Gore keeps harping on us about. :P

Actually, this has nothing to do with global warming. This is one month out of a million; gw something being studied on a much larger scale.

As for the baseball, I agree with what most are saying. Play opening week games in warmer/domed cities. Put a few DHs in there and start the season a little later.

Too bad for Tribe fans.

RBA
04-09-2007, 07:58 PM
Actually, this has nothing to do with global warming. This is one month out of a million; gw something being studied on a much larger scale.

I'm sure everyone is aware of that. Just some can't resist the slightest opportunity to ridicule someone.

Big Klu
04-09-2007, 08:16 PM
I still don't understand why the April 10-12 series isn't moved to Anaheim, and then the May 8-10 series could be moved to Cleveland. The whole thing with Milwaukee makes no sense to me.

Reds Fanatic
04-09-2007, 08:24 PM
I still don't understand why the April 10-12 series isn't moved to Anaheim, and then the May 8-10 series could be moved to Cleveland. The whole thing with Milwaukee makes no sense to me.
I heard on XM's MLB channel the reason was Anaheim did not want to travel cross country to Boston with no days rest after Thursday's game so that is the main reason they are playing in Milawaukee.

smith288
04-09-2007, 10:13 PM

As for the baseball, I agree with what most are saying. Play opening week games in warmer/domed cities. Put a few DHs in there and start the season a little later.

Too bad for Tribe fans.
Global Warming is to Clevelands weather as Bug Selig is to brilliance.

Big Klu
04-09-2007, 11:01 PM
I heard on XM's MLB channel the reason was Anaheim did not want to travel cross country to Boston with no days rest after Thursday's game so that is the main reason they are playing in Milawaukee.

OK, but the Angels and the Tribe also have a series in Anaheim in September. Trade locales with that one. There has to be a better solution than playing three games in Milwaukee!

Reds Fanatic
04-09-2007, 11:13 PM
At least one good thing is coming from the snowouts. The Indians are donating 650 pounds of food not used during the snowed out games to the Cleveland foodbank.

Caseyfan21
04-10-2007, 01:08 PM
I never have really understood the travel argument. It's not like these guys travel like us regular people. They don't have the stress and early wake up times to make flights. They just show up at the airport, go through security, and get on a private chartered flight. They can sleep, eat, read, whatever for a few hours. It's not as big of a deal as some people make it out to be IMO. If they had to do it every 3 game series back and forth across the country that's one thing but I think making a couple extra charter flights is easier than moving an entire 3 game series to a stadium outside either of the team's cities.

westofyou
04-10-2007, 01:15 PM
It's not like these guys travel like us regular people.

No they just travel like us to the power of 100.

Traveling ain't easy, sleeping in a different bed is a a pain in the arse, as is fatigue from travel, which despite any assumptions is a real thing.

forfreelin04
04-10-2007, 01:22 PM

Too bad for Tribe fans.

Actually it kinda does. Global warming isn't restricted to warmer and unatural temperatures. It is actually the ground being warmer then usual which leads to the melting of certain icecaps...glaciers etc at a faster rate then usual. This melting causes more ocean water to circulate. The ocean tides effect the weather gradually. Overtime as more water is in the ocean, the tides becomes larger and more unsettled. This, in turn, causes drastic weather changes and also serious weather catastrophes (Katrina) So, this drastic change from cold to warm or even the massive size of this cold front in the midwest can be attributed to global warming. (At least this what Mr. Gore told me)

BCubb2003
04-10-2007, 02:30 PM
Is anybody here old enough to remember the Cleveland Exiles, who were so bad they had to leave town?

westofyou
04-10-2007, 02:42 PM
Is anybody here old enough to remember the Cleveland Exiles, who were so bad they had to leave town?

Syndicate Ball.

Sea Ray
04-10-2007, 04:32 PM
Seriously, it's early April...why oh why does MLB schedule a 10 game homestand for Cleveland? It's one thing to schedule a 4 game series with Seattle but they keep Cleveland at home for the next week as well. Even in the best of years you're likely to get cold Spring rains for a few of those games. This was idiotic scheduling and MLB can spin it everyway they like but I'll bet we won't see another early April 10 game homestand for the Cleveland Indians

Always Red
04-10-2007, 05:53 PM
Verducci has a good article on this very topic, over at SI.com today:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/tom_verducci/04/10/weather.april/index.html

Here's what Selig said when I suggested West Coast teams always open at home: "I just talked to Sandy Alderson, who as you know is with the Padres. And he said he doesn't want to be loaded up with April games and have fewer games in the summer." The summer games, when school is out and people are vacationing, draw better.

And here's the other complaint Selig said he gets from owners: "The two-team markets tell me they absolutely do not want to be at home at the same time under any circumstance." Again, it's more about squeezing every last dollar than it is about common sense

In a nutshell, everyone wants something different, and there is no way everyone can be made happy. So, the answer is to try to make as much money as possible; that's the only thing that makes everyone at least a little happy!

As for me, I'm all for starting the season a week later, and scheduling a few more doubleheaders, like in the bad old days. I know, less revenue that way, it'll never fly. Luckily, these April snow storms and biting cold do not happen very often.

Sea Ray
04-10-2007, 06:52 PM
Verducci has a good article on this very topic, over at SI.com today:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/tom_verducci/04/10/weather.april/index.html

In a nutshell, everyone wants something different, and there is no way everyone can be made happy. So, the answer is to try to make as much money as possible; that's the only thing that makes everyone at least a little happy!

As for me, I'm all for starting the season a week later, and scheduling a few more doubleheaders, like in the bad old days. I know, less revenue that way, it'll never fly. Luckily, these April snow storms and biting cold do not happen very often.

I don't get this. Summer games are not in question here. The Tribe doesn't play Seattle or Anaheim in the Summer.

Why should the West Coast teams get the summer dates? Cleveland got a 10 game homestand in April. They didn't complain about losing summer dates.

You swap April dates for May/Sept. That is pure spin on Bud's part

Chip R
04-10-2007, 07:07 PM
I don't get this. Summer games are not in question here. The Tribe doesn't play Seattle or Anaheim in the Summer.

Why should the West Coast teams get the summer dates? Cleveland got a 10 game homestand in April. They didn't complain about losing summer dates.

You swap April dates for May/Sept. That is pure spin on Bud's part

Yeah. Everybody wants summer games. Everyone wants to play at home on Memorial Day, 4th of July and Labor Day too. But someone has to be the visiting team. It'd make a helluva lot more sense to make the warm weather/dome teams home teams when it's coldest.

RBA
04-10-2007, 08:38 PM
It may make more sense to have the warm weather/dome teams be home teams when it's coldest, but it isn't fair to them. I agree with the Padres, why should they take a financial hit because teams like Cincinnati and Cleveland went on the cheap on didn't plan for weather conditions by building dome/retractable roof stadiums?

Ltlabner
04-11-2007, 07:20 AM
I never have really understood the travel argument. It's not like these guys travel like us regular people. They don't have the stress and early wake up times to make flights. They just show up at the airport, go through security, and get on a private chartered flight. They can sleep, eat, read, whatever for a few hours. It's not as big of a deal as some people make it out to be IMO. If they had to do it every 3 game series back and forth across the country that's one thing but I think making a couple extra charter flights is easier than moving an entire 3 game series to a stadium outside either of the team's cities.

Whether they travel in stearage or every person on their own personal Gulfstream V doesn't matter. Travel is very tiring. Trust me, I do it every week of my life. Sure, they stay in fancy hotels, and eat at nice resturants. So do I. But sleeping in different beds, constant time zone changes, weather changes, breathing stale air on the airplane for hours on end, eating out all the time wears on you. It takes a toll on your body when you do it week after week.

Chip R
04-11-2007, 09:28 AM
It may make more sense to have the warm weather/dome teams be home teams when it's coldest, but it isn't fair to them. I agree with the Padres, why should they take a financial hit because teams like Cincinnati and Cleveland went on the cheap on didn't plan for weather conditions by building dome/retractable roof stadiums?

Is it fair for the Mariners to have to make up a 4 game series in CLE because the powers that be weren't smart enough to schedule the games in SEA? S.D. and L.A. have great weather all year long. Why not take advantage of it when there is the possibility of poor weather eleswhere. As for building on the cheap, I don't see a retractable roof for the new Yankee Stadium and you can't accuse the Yankees of ever doing things on the cheap. Not everyone wants a retractable roof stadium.

One of the reasons Cincinnati has always hosted Opening Day was because they were one of the most southern cities in the old 8 team NL and not because the Red Stockings were the first openly pro team. So it's not like there's no precedent for doing this.

Sea Ray
04-11-2007, 11:50 AM
Is it fair for the Mariners to have to make up a 4 game series in CLE because the powers that be weren't smart enough to schedule the games in SEA?

:clap:

What a huge point! That's the bottomline. If you can't play the games in a certain climate why schedule them that way?

The real life example we're looking at here is Cleveland-Angels and Cleveland -Sea. You have two series scheduled in April, one in May and one in Sept...so let's see, which team(s) should host the April series??? Not exactly Sophie's Choice on the part of MLB...

Yachtzee
04-11-2007, 12:06 PM
To be fair, Cleveland did open on the road and a winter storm dropping that much snow on downtown isn't exactly a common occurrence this far into April. It was actually very much a freak storm. I would say that it's far less common than hurricanes in Florida and the Gulf Coast in the fall, yet no one is calling for not scheduling games in Miami, St. Pete, or Houston in August and September.

RBA
04-11-2007, 01:13 PM
I just don't think it is fair to penalize warm weather/dome teams and force them to play more games at home in the early months when the fans don't come out as much as they do later in the season. It's a money thing. Why should the North East/Mid West teams (non-dome) benefit over the other teams?

Chip R
04-11-2007, 01:28 PM
I just don't think it is fair to penalize warm weather/dome teams and force them to play more games at home in the early months when the fans don't come out as much as they do later in the season. It's a money thing. Why should the North East/Mid West teams (non-dome) benefit over the other teams?

We're not talking about 3 months. We're only talking about a week or so. And, like I said, is it fair to a team like SEA to have to make up those 4 games God knows when when they could have been idle that day? And since when has playing home games been a detriment to a team?

Ltlabner
04-11-2007, 04:02 PM
We're not talking about 3 months. We're only talking about a week or so. And, like I said, is it fair to a team like SEA to have to make up those 4 games God knows when when they could have been idle that day? And since when has playing home games been a detriment to a team?

Snow doesn't ever happen in the 2nd week of the season? Interesting.

There's a chance for snow/cold in Ohio well into May. It's a rapidly declining chance certinally, but a chance none the less. So to say that they would only have to worry about "a week or so" isn't realistic.

So if you are going to go with a "northern teams play in warm climates to avoid a snow out" rule, you better not have any home serries scheduled untill late April just to be safe. Especially any stadiums subject to lake effect or freak winter storms.

This was a freak weather occurance. Instead of everybody going nuts and trying to reinvent the wheel, why don't we just continue to schedule games and deal with the one off issues as they come up?

This really is a lot to do about nothing.

Roy Tucker
04-11-2007, 04:31 PM
The only gripe I'd have is that it was Seattle's only trip into Cleveland all year. Which makes it problematic to make up the games in Cleveland. Like, impossible.

If the schedule demands games being played in Cleveland, make it Chicago or KC who will be back in Cleveland several times over the season. Making up games is still tough, but it is possible.

But I've read stories about the MLB schedule making process and it is ungodly the number of variables and issues that come into play. Sometimes things just happen. Like the Reds being out of town for a big chunk o' time of the middle of July. It may sound hollow to say they do the best they can but I really do believe it's an impossible task to make everyone happy.

westofyou
04-11-2007, 04:57 PM
But I've read stories about the MLB schedule making process and it is ungodly the number of variables and issues that come into play. Sometimes things just happen. Like the Reds being out of town for a big chunk o' time of the middle of July. It may sound hollow to say they do the best they can but I really do believe it's an impossible task to make everyone happy.

http://mlb.mlb.com/content/printer_friendly/mlb/y2006/m04/d04/c1383448.jsp

The schedule is a Major undertaking
04/05/2006 8:00 AM ET
By Tom Singer / MLB.com

The Longest Season. The long and winding road, through the dog days of summer, into October. The grind, plain and simple. And, of course, the proverbial "marathon."

Baseball's schedule has been called a lot of allegorical things, but never a piece of cake. Neither to play it, nor to create it.

Fitting 30 teams and 2,430 games into a 181-day window on a 3,133-mile landscape -- and making it unique year after year -- is an undertaking of ridiculous proportions. A Rubik's Cube with six panels on each side.

That it all ultimately makes sense is a testament to foresight -- or just blind luck.

Regard Philadelphia's current slate. The Phillies' April 18-27 homestand is scheduled to be games 13 through 22 of a season their Jimmy Rollins began 20 games shy of Joe DiMaggio's fabled 56-game hitting streak.

Or last season, when the New York Yankees wrapped up with three games in Boston -- a series that ended with on-field celebrations of playoff berths on consecutive days by each team.

Brilliant planning by prescient people?

"If I could do that, I wouldn't be here working," says Katy Feeney, the senior vice president in the Commissioner's Office in charge of scheduling, implying she instead would be someplace where correct predictions pay off in hard cash.

"If you try to make certain assumptions, they can turn out to be wrong. You can't plan too far ahead, because you'll end up ripping it all apart."

In the fantasy world of gaming, it's a quick one-button process. You place the cursor over "Make schedule," click the mouse and, presto, play ball!

But in the three-dimensional real world, you've got reams of team special requests, travel logistics, Collective Bargaining Agreement regulations and vats of Wite-Out. You've got a nightmare.

"It's an ever-changing process, with a myriad of issues complicating the process," says Feeney. "At its very basic, the baseball side is always conflicting with the business side.

"Everyone submits their requests, and we proceed mindful of special circumstances. We keep making revisions -- thousands if you count every little thing."

And at the end of the day?

"Nobody is ever completely happy," sighs Feeney.

MLB scheduling has always been a stealth process. Teams are forwarded tentative schedules in December, tweaks are implemented, the schedules become official in February -- and soon those handy little foldable slates go into wallets and on refrigerator doors.

Scheduling has become a more topical issue recently only because different outfits have landed the contract to do it. While the job has long been up for annual bids, for more than two decades it had been a mom-and-pop operation. Literally. Henry and Holly Stephenson of Massachusetts got the job in 1980 and kept pushing their pencils for 24 years.

Then a small Pittsburgh firm, Sports Scheduling Group, was chosen to compile the 2005 schedule.

Yet another outfit landed the job for the current 2006 schedule. The reason for the latest switch is not known, but if name-propriety had anything to do with it, SSG certainly would've kept the job: one of its co-founders is Michael Trick, which is what the assignment turned out to be.

As Trick noted after finally turning in the 2005 schedule, "I thought, 'How hard could this be?' It turned out to be very hard."

Feeney chooses not to reveal the newcomer's identity, for no reason other than the fact innovations in technology have made the pursuit of the MLB scheduling gig more competitive.

"The last several years," Feeney says, "we've asked a limited number of firms to provide us with something that indicates their capability. It's a luxury to have a choice. We give to all of the candidates the format, the Interleague rotation, special requests, some broad issues and they submit a sample schedule before we award the actual contract."

When is all this groundwork laid? Work on the 2007 schedule began months before the first games of 2006 were played.

Teams submitted their requests for the 2007 schedule in November 2005. In January, Feeney's people began the nuts-and-bolts aspect of assembling next season's schedule. The tentative schedule must be presented to the players' union by July 1, and the deadline for its response is Oct. 15.

There are strict, negotiated guidelines to observe. The schedule must be between 178 and 183 days, can include no more than two day-night doubleheaders for any team, teams traveling from Pacific to Eastern time zones must have a day off in between, etc.

And there are year-to-year conditions to accomodate. Who can forget, for example, the Astros' month-long, 26-game road trip in 1992 to permit the Republican National Convention to be held in the Astrodome? Or both the Dodgers and the Angels having to vacate southern California during the 1984 Olympics? And the Braves' 19-game trip made necessary by the 1996 Olympics?

Those may be extreme examples, but similar circumstances always arise. For instance, when construction of their new ballpark begins, New York City must have the Mets on the road during the next few installments of tennis' U.S. Open, which is played across the street from Shea Stadium and will need use stadium parking lot.

Requirements such as these need to be juggled with Feeney's regular wish list: No four-series homestands or road trips; a minimum of "semi-repeaters," those home-and-home series between teams interrupted by only one other series; fair distribution of the 13 in-season weekends among each team's 81-game home schedule.

At least she is spared one headache of her predecessors: Deciding which teams get those valuable home dates on high-traffic holidays like Memorial Day and Labor Day.

Those used to be golden dates on any team's schedule. But times, like the technology churning out schedules, have changed.

"A lot of teams don't want to be home on holidays. Their thinking is that now people leave town," says Feeney, grateful for that little break. "For the most part, teams still want to be home on July 4, so we simply have to rotate that."

Chip R
04-11-2007, 05:35 PM
Snow doesn't ever happen in the 2nd week of the season? Interesting.

There's a chance for snow/cold in Ohio well into May. It's a rapidly declining chance certinally, but a chance none the less. So to say that they would only have to worry about "a week or so" isn't realistic.

So if you are going to go with a "northern teams play in warm climates to avoid a snow out" rule, you better not have any home serries scheduled untill late April just to be safe. Especially any stadiums subject to lake effect or freak winter storms.

This was a freak weather occurance. Instead of everybody going nuts and trying to reinvent the wheel, why don't we just continue to schedule games and deal with the one off issues as they come up?

This really is a lot to do about nothing.

But we're not necessarily talking about snow outs. We're also talking about having games where fans can go and watch a game without having to be bundled up like Nanook of the North and players and umpires don't have to look like they are robbing a convenience store. I realize Midwestern weather can be fickle. Opening Day here was beautiful. The year before was horrible. And it can be very cold any time in April here but it is less likely to be cold as the days and weeks go on.

What's wrong with doing this for a year or two? The sun will still come up in the morning and the commies won't have taken over Washington. People act like it's so difficult to change that around because a west coast team won't play as many home games in July or August. If they don't like it, that's too bad. Like the article said, no one's going to be happy.