PDA

View Full Version : Thom's poor analysis tonight...

Wheelhouse
04-10-2007, 01:23 AM
He kept harping on what bad at-bats the Reds had when there were several players who had excellent at-bats (Phillips, Conine, Griffey, Gonzalez) and it is darn near impossible to have good at bats when the strike zone is as erratic as this umps was---and the first one to point out how random the ump was was Thom! How can you get a good deal at the store when you can't know the value of a buck? The umpiring was LOATHESOME and Ross didn't call for the 1st base umpire on the called ball, which would have kept the Reds in the lead. I think the Reds should have their heads high for the most part--it was a good game where anyone could win, because literally any umpiring call could be made, accurate or inaccurate. Thom painted the Reds as failures. I heartily disagree (and I have a feeling Welsh did too.)

Matt700wlw
04-10-2007, 01:29 AM
One could argue all the missed opportunities could be considered "failure" tonight.

Wheelhouse
04-10-2007, 01:35 AM
One could argue all the missed opportunities could be considered "failure" tonight.

My point is that the "opportunities" were lost after the Reds were not given a strike zone. And what did Arizona score on? First two runs: a walk after the batter had struck out, and a bizarre double. Third: an opposite field home run on a decent pitch. GARBAGE.

WVPacman
04-10-2007, 01:38 AM
My point is that the "opportunities" were lost after the Reds were not given a strike zone. And what did Arizona score on? First two runs: a walk after the batter had struck out, and a bizarre double. Third: an opposite field home run on a decent pitch. GARBAGE.

I disagree we can't blame it on the strike zone b/c the hitters just did'nt show up and get hits when we needed them like the Dbacks did.The strike zone was pretty fair for both teams.Just my opinion

RBA
04-10-2007, 01:45 AM
The strikezone was at best, irratic. Wheelhouse, you are right on.

WVPacman
04-10-2007, 01:47 AM
The strikezone was at best, irratic. Wheelhouse, you are right on.

Yes it was irratic but for both teams exspecially after the 6th inning.

Jr's Boy
04-10-2007, 02:46 AM
Karl Ravitch on espn referred not once but twice as the Reds catcher Cody Ross.

Jpup
04-10-2007, 04:11 AM
Karl Ravitch on espn referred not once but twice as the Reds catcher Cody Ross.

and I bet you he called Adam Dunn the "Big Donk". :help:

coachw513
04-10-2007, 07:38 AM
I thought TB was over the top about the "quality AB" stuff...not that it wasn't somewhat of a valid point, but he didn't ever let it go :deadhorse

That being said, as compared to last Wednesday where there was quality banter between TB and JB, it's apparent that Welsh is way out of his league when broadcasting with Thom...the broadcast was disjointed and I felt Thom kept hoping Welsh would bring something to the dance, only to be constantly disappointed...

RedsFan75
04-10-2007, 08:11 AM
But even as the broadcasting was it was a refreshing change from sugary George.

RANDY IN INDY
04-10-2007, 09:05 AM
I remember Encarnacion having one at bat where he was 2-0 and proceeded to swing at a pitch that was way outside. Thom wasn't totally off. There were a few bad at bats last night.

RichRed
04-10-2007, 09:14 AM
Thom did seem a bit easily frustrated by some of the Reds' ABs last night but he was right about the EE AB, as mentioned above. By the way, he sure does love him some Orlando Hudson, doesn't he?

I enjoyed when Welsh said that Doug Davis wasn't a pitcher who would get himself in trouble by walking guys, immediately followed by a screen graphic showing that Davis was 2nd in the NL in walks allowed last season. Oops.

04-10-2007, 09:27 AM
I like Thom better on TV than radio. I really am not used to him yet, I guess. It did seem that he and Welsh were a little clumsy together, to me.

bucksfan
04-10-2007, 10:19 AM
I like Thom better on TV than radio. I really am not used to him yet, I guess. It did seem that he and Welsh were a little clumsy together, to me.

I certainly got that feeling as well. They did not seem to mesh like I thought they might. I did think Thom was going a bit strong on some points - maybe seeming just a bit overbearing on trying to make points. But as others have said, the group overall, with Thom and Brantley added to the mix, results in better overall broadcasts in either media format IMO...

westofyou
04-10-2007, 10:27 AM
maybe seeming just a bit overbearing on trying to make points

Seeming?

Nah he was "Overbearing" on some points.

Example.. Dunn talking to the 3rd base coach...

"WHAT HE IS DOING?" He said over and over, finally Chris says, "Well each pitcher is different so they could be discussing what to expect."

Thom acted like Dunn should have been doing his best Ty Cobb on 3rd, complaining the whole time, "His helmet is off!" and other goofy things that set him off about that incident.

Note to Thom, Mark Berry is a "Reds" coach Adam Dunn SHOULD talk to him when he's on 3rd, every time he has to stop there I expect them to have a chat. Now if they start playing patty cake then you can start to get your worry hat on. Until then try not to create something out of nothing.

RichRed
04-10-2007, 10:35 AM
Seeming?

"WHAT HE IS DOING?" He said over and over, finally Chris says, "Well each pitcher is different so they could be discussing what to expect."

Thom acted like Dunn should have been doing his best Ty Cobb on 3rd, complaining the whole time, "His helmet is off!" and other goofy things that set him off about that incident.

Note to Thom, Mark Berry is a "Reds" coach Adam Dunn SHOULD talk to him when he's on 3rd, every time he has to stop there I expect them to have a chat. Now if they start playing patty cake then you can start to get your worry hat on. Until then try not to create something out of nothing.

I agree, woy, that was absurd. Feeding into the whole "Dunn lacks focus" nonsense. He just wouldn't let it go.

Hoosier Red
04-10-2007, 10:37 AM
No, he was definately overbearing.

He said on more than one occasion that the Reds shouldn't swing because there is no way Davis can get three strikes before 4 balls.

I guess he would have loved some Rudy Stein.

Chip R
04-10-2007, 10:41 AM
I think it has to be tough working with several partners. He has his partner on Fox, Marty, Jeff and now Chris. It must be difficult to develop a rhythm with a new partner every night.

redsfan30
04-10-2007, 10:50 AM
I like Thom, but he was way overboard on a number of subjects last night.

BuckeyeRedleg
04-10-2007, 11:07 AM
I agree with WOY. What's scary is the thought of Thom Brennaman after a full season of Reds baseball. I mean, if he's this salty through 6+ games, I dread how overbearing he could be while watching this team sleep walk through another August and September.

He was vicious last night. And he wasn't just vicious with the Reds. He wasn't to kind to his old team, the D-backs, either.

He's the anti-George Grande to say the least.

I think I may need to be medicated after a full season of listening to both extremes.

BRM
04-10-2007, 11:08 AM
Thom was actually ripping Adam for talking to Mark Berry? Really? That's pathetic.

04-10-2007, 11:15 AM
I don't remember him being this intense when he was doing DBacks games the last couple of years.

Crosley68
04-10-2007, 11:16 AM
I got the feeling he was trying too hard because he had a lot of knowledge of the Dbacks. He tried to cram too much in.

Redsland
04-10-2007, 11:17 AM
He was vicious last night. And he wasn't just vicious with the Reds. He wasn't to kind to his old team, the D-backs, either.

Maybe Thom is a pot-stirrer.

That could get old fast.

deltachi8
04-10-2007, 11:19 AM
Thom was way off last night - the Dunnon third thing almost made me throw a shoe at my TV.

I kind of chuckled when, after going on and on about poor at bats, Hatteberg comes up and Thom praises him as alwys gives you a good at bat - and the Hat promptly grounds into a double play.

RichRed
04-10-2007, 11:20 AM
Thom was actually ripping Adam for talking to Mark Berry? Really? That's pathetic.

Yep. In Thom's view, Dunn was still talking to Berry at a time when his complete focus should've been on the upcoming pitch (in case of a wild pitch, etc.). Definitely overboard, since I'm sure they were probably talking about that very thing - being alert and all that.

BRM
04-10-2007, 11:23 AM
The Brenneman's dislike of Adam Dunn seems to have no bounds.

westofyou
04-10-2007, 11:33 AM
Yep. In Thom's view, Dunn was still talking to Berry at a time when his complete focus should've been on the upcoming pitch (in case of a wild pitch, etc.). Definitely overboard, since I'm sure they were probably talking about that very thing - being alert and all that.

Back around 1900 Willie Keeler used to saunter over to the stands during pitching changes and talk to the young kids out there, explaining to them certain situations and just talking baseball.

Thom would have probably torn him a new one for that stunt. :evil:

Joseph
04-10-2007, 11:50 AM
Was it really poor analysis to say that the batters should have exercised more patience with a pitcher that erratic? Annoying sure at times, but poor I don't know if I can agree with.

Grande would have been singing the praises of Davis for Cy Young or something.

Far East
04-10-2007, 11:53 AM
Thom did seem a bit easily frustrated by some of the Reds' ABs last night but he was right about the EE AB, as mentioned above. By the way, he sure does love him some Orlando Hudson, doesn't he?

I enjoyed when Welsh said that Doug Davis wasn't a pitcher who would get himself in trouble by walking guys, immediately followed by a screen graphic showing that Davis was 2nd in the NL in walks allowed last season. Oops.

I particularly enjoyed when Thom asked why Welsh thought that Phillips (I think it was Phillips) should swing at the upcoming 2-0 pitch and Chris "taught" him that the Reds needed to get a runner to 2nd base, into scoring position (I think there were two outs, late in the game). Thom became silent.

Even better, when the subject of Gonzo's taking some pitches or hacking away, Chris reminded Thom that that was Gonzalez's nature and one very important reason why he should never be allowed to bat second in the batting order. I bet Thom tells his dad on Chris for that one!

My eldest grandson, who is not a sports' fan, sat through a couple of innings with me and heard me say that I no longer listen to the Reds on radio because of their sportscaster, Marty, whom I characterized as a grumpy old man, who is hyper-critical and overly opinionated. After listening to Thom for a few of his shrill critiques, Grandson asked me what that guy talking (he said "Marty's") last name was. Thom is way too much like his dad to suit me. I'll take George on his very worst day instead.

Shaggy Sanchez
04-10-2007, 11:54 AM
I have never been a fan of Thom and after last night I am even less of a fan of him. I never thought I would say that I missed listening to Grande but there were a few times last night that the thought crossed my mind. The ripping on Dunn was absurd, when he said that Dunn had his helmet off and was talking to Berry the pitcher at the time wasn't even on the rubber.

Chip R
04-10-2007, 11:58 AM
Dunn had a pretty scrappy game last night. No Ks but grounded into a force and 2 DPs.

BRM
04-10-2007, 12:05 PM
Dunn had a pretty scrappy game last night. No Ks but grounded into a force and 2 DPs.

At least he put the ball in play. :)

smith288
04-10-2007, 12:13 PM
Yea, but the chances of them muffing a DP is greater than muffing a strikeout (devils advocacy 101)

BRM
04-10-2007, 12:18 PM
Yea, but the chances of them muffing a DP is greater than muffing a strikeout (devils advocacy 101)

Yea, but the chances of two outs being recorded on one play with a runner on 1B are much greater with a grounder to second than with a strikeout. ;)

pedro
04-10-2007, 12:18 PM
Still like him more than George.

WMR
04-10-2007, 12:27 PM
Seeming?

Yeah I commented on this in the game thread. It was just a stupid tangent to get locked onto and man he was like a pit bull, grabbed ahold and wouldn't let it go. Was like that on a few things that ended up detracting from the broadcast.

flyer85
04-10-2007, 12:28 PM
I like Thom, but he was way overboard on a number of subjects last night.I was surprised he didn't comment on what a "professional" double play that was that Hatty hit into.

RichRed
04-10-2007, 12:47 PM

Despite last night, I agree.

dabvu2498
04-10-2007, 12:52 PM

Faint praise.

I get the feeling that Thom (and Cowboy) comes from the "Billy Packer School" of broadcasting. In other words, they start a game with a certain set of outcomes and no matter what happens in the game, those outcomes will be met.

pedro
04-10-2007, 12:53 PM
Faint praise.

I get the feeling that Thom (and Cowboy) comes from the "Billy Packer School" of broadcasting. In other words, they start a game with a certain set of outcomes and no matter what happens in the game, those outcomes will be met.

Indeed.

flyer85
04-10-2007, 12:59 PM
One thing I found amusing was a complete lack of understanding of Davis as a pitcher.

He walks people not because
a) he can't throw strikes (which is what Thom believes)
b) but because he doesn't want to throw strikes

There is a huge difference between the two. Davis figured out a few years back that for him challenging hitters was putting him on the fast track out of baseball. So he forgets about first pitch strikes and lives by the motto "get the next batter". The problem the Reds have with Davis is that they lack the RH hitters to really hurt him.

registerthis
04-10-2007, 01:59 PM
One thing I found amusing was a complete lack of understanding of Davis as a pitcher.

He walks people not because
a) he can't throw strikes (which is what Thom believes)
b) but because he doesn't want to throw strikes

I doubt that Davis wanted to throw 102 pitches through 6 innings, either. He may not be a "go after them" type of pitcher, but he certainly ran into some control problems last night, particularly in the 4th inning.

flyer85
04-10-2007, 03:06 PM
I doubt that Davis wanted to throw 102 pitches through 6 innings, either. He may not be a "go after them" type of pitcher, but he certainly ran into some control problems last night, particularly in the 4th inning.He didn't, but if Davis pitches to contact he won't ever be around for 100 pitches and 6 innings.

Davis has "control problems" every night, walked 5 in his first outing. He wants to get the batters out swinging at pitchers pitches and is unwilling to give until he absolutely has to. He allowed 13 baserunners in 5IP(0 ER) in his first start.

Far East
04-10-2007, 03:09 PM
Yeah I commented on this in the game thread. It was just a stupid tangent to get locked onto and man he was like a pit bull, grabbed ahold and wouldn't let it go. Was like that on a few things that ended up detracting from the broadcast.

I get the feeling that Thom (and Cowboy) comes from the "Billy Packer School" of broadcasting. In other words, they start a game with a certain set of outcomes.

Yeah, I did not want to listen to the post game; I did not want to hear any more about how the Reds "squandered so many chances."

RedsManRick
04-10-2007, 03:36 PM
Any chance Thom is trying to keep pace with his dad? I honestly haven't heard enough of him to know his style, but I can imagine it would be difficult to keep his own style in light of his company. Marty certainly doesn't pull any punches and I can see Thom simply trying to emulate the style so as to defer to Marty's general tone for the broadcast.

Ltlabner
04-10-2007, 05:06 PM
Wow...that was a short honeymoon for our new broadcasters.

I didn't figure they would live up to the RZ standard for too long, but this is much faster than I thought.

westofyou
04-10-2007, 05:09 PM

I didn't figure they would live up to the RZ standard for too long, but this is much faster than I thought.

It isn't what they say about you, it's what they whisper.

Errol Flynn

WMR
04-10-2007, 05:09 PM
I want to like him, but he was like a wild dog last night about stuff that was just stupid. The Dunn at 3B barrage was a total joke.

Ltlabner
04-10-2007, 05:12 PM
It isn't what they say about you, it's what they whisper.

Errol Flynn

:laugh:

Is that sorta like, "any press is good press" ?

Chip R
04-10-2007, 05:14 PM

So we can criticize the players, the manager and the front office but not the broadcasters?

Ltlabner
04-10-2007, 05:18 PM
So we can criticize the players, the manager and the front office but not the broadcasters?

Yea, that's really what I said.

Not sure how you got "don't criticize them" out of "wow, that was a short honeymoon".

redsrule2500
04-10-2007, 07:54 PM
oh wow...I swear you guys will complain at anyone who broadcasts.

I never had a problem with Grande/Welsh till I read about them here...and now complaining about the Fox broadcaster, widely considered one of the best in all of the game? I mean come on....just be happy we have some variety of good announcers, both professional, traditional, ex-players, etc.etc.

There's so many changes on both radio/TV this year, I can't see how you can really complain about them all!

KronoRed
04-10-2007, 08:13 PM
I want to like him, but he was like a wild dog last night about stuff that was just stupid. The Dunn at 3B barrage was a total joke.

You could almost hear Welsh thinking "What the hell?" :laugh:

WIth 145 games on TV this year I haven't had to listen to the radio, if that's what he's like on 700 then I'm glad for George and the Creeper :D

BoydsOfSummer
04-10-2007, 08:15 PM
Thommy hasn't seen Dunner on the bases every game for the last 5 years, otherwise he'd understand that Adam should be talking to base coaches way more than that. Hell, he could use a second base coach.

redsrule2500
04-10-2007, 08:17 PM
You could almost hear Welsh thinking "What the hell?" :laugh:

WIth 145 games on TV this year I haven't had to listen to the radio, if that's what he's like on 700 then I'm glad for George and the Creeper :D

What exactly was said?

WMR
04-10-2007, 09:01 PM
What exactly was said?

"WHAT IS DUNN DOING?!?!?! HE'S GOT HIS HELMET OFF AND HE'S TALKING TO THE 3B COACH!!! WHY ISN'T HE WATCHING THE PITCHER AND GETTING UP THE LINE!!! WHAT IS HE DOING?!?!?! WHAT IS GOING ON?!?!? WAKE UP DUNN!!"

All of this while the pitcher was OFF THE PITCHER'S MOUND!!

It was like bizarro announcer.

And he picked a couple other silly points to harp on about ten times ( no joke ) throughout the game as well.

Hap
04-10-2007, 09:32 PM
Don Shula was a great football coach.

David Shula was not.

Redsland
04-10-2007, 10:27 PM
Thommy hasn't seen Dunner on the bases every game for the last 5 years, otherwise he'd understand that Adam should be talking to base coaches way more than that. Hell, he could use a second base coach.
:laugh:

KronoRed
04-10-2007, 10:44 PM
Don Shula was a great football coach.

David Shula was not.

What about Mike? :devil:

KronoRed
04-10-2007, 10:45 PM
"WHAT IS DUNN DOING?!?!?! HE'S GOT HIS HELMET OFF AND HE'S TALKING TO THE 3B COACH!!! WHY ISN'T HE WATCHING THE PITCHER AND GETTING UP THE LINE!!! WHAT IS HE DOING?!?!?! WHAT IS GOING ON?!?!? WAKE UP DUNN!!"

All of this while the pitcher was OFF THE PITCHER'S MOUND!!

It was like bizarro announcer.

And he picked a couple other silly points to harp on about ten times ( no joke ) throughout the game as well.

Yeah, it just came out of nowhere, and I dunno about anyone else but I have never stopped to wonder why a runner is talking to a coach, I always assumed that the coach was..coaching.

RFS62
04-10-2007, 10:47 PM

Me too, but I agree with everyone who thought the Dunn on third base diatribe was way out of line.

redsfan30
04-10-2007, 10:58 PM
He's been much better tonight.

Tony Cloninger
04-10-2007, 11:34 PM
He was not wrong about Davis..........if the Reds had not swung the bat in a couple of innings...he could have walked the entire lineup.

Freel looked really terrible. He confuses me......with his plate discipline changing per AB. One AB he works the count....the next minute you think he was Jack Billingham trying to hit.

The 2 batters that looked at least to have an idea of what to do and how to work Davis.......were Conine and Gonzo.

toledodan
04-10-2007, 11:43 PM
if marty's little boy doesn't like what he's seeing so far its going to be a long season for him.:D

redsrule2500
04-11-2007, 12:50 AM
Is Thom a Reds fan?

WVRedsFan
04-11-2007, 01:44 AM
Is Thom a Reds fan?
Oh, God.

Loyalty test anyone?

jojo
04-11-2007, 07:18 AM
Oh, God.

Loyalty test anyone?

All I have to say is that he doesn't look like a Reds fan....

I think a loyalty test is absolutely in order here... If... he... weighs... the same as a duck,... he's made of wood. And therefore? A Cubs fan!

Burn him! Burn him! Burn him! Burn! Burn!...

CrackerJack
04-11-2007, 09:33 AM
What!!? Thom dared to criticize the almighty Dunn??? Fire him!

BRM
04-11-2007, 09:46 AM

Sounds to me like it went way beyond criticism.

RANDY IN INDY
04-11-2007, 09:51 AM
Although it comes across as harsh, there is some truth to what Marty's boy is saying about the way the Reds are playing baseball.

KronoRed
04-11-2007, 11:39 AM

Criticizing him would be questioning a bad play or something like that, going off on Dunn speaking to the 3rd base coach came across as just plain weird.

Jr's Boy
04-11-2007, 12:33 PM
Criticizing him would be questioning a bad play or something like that, going off on Dunn speaking to the 3rd base coach came across as just plain weird.

Yes it was just about the strangest comment i've ever heard during a game.I wish Thom would explain what the heck he meant.

flyer85
04-11-2007, 12:33 PM
What!!? Thom dared to criticize the almighty Dunn??? Fire him!there are legitimate reasons Thom could criticize Dunn and others. However, talking to the base coach while your on base is as absurd of a reason as you can get to criticize ANY player.

kaldaniels
04-11-2007, 02:02 PM
Yes it was just about the strangest comment i've ever heard during a game.I wish Thom would explain what the heck he meant.

I don't know if we ever saw this angle when Marty Jr. started ranting...but was Dunn talking/not paying attention as the pitch was thrown. If so, Thom had a point, if not, Thom needs to take it down a notch. I just never saw the replay I wanted to on that play.

Cedric
04-11-2007, 02:14 PM
I don't know if we ever saw this angle when Marty Jr. started ranting...but was Dunn talking/not paying attention as the pitch was thrown. If so, Thom had a point, if not, Thom needs to take it down a notch. I just never saw the replay I wanted to on that play.

It was a dumb point. He thought Dunn wasn't paying attention when the pitcher was on the mound, he was wrong.

Doesn't mean he hates Dunn or anything. I'm sure it will be painted that way though. Once you get that Scarlett letter about Dunner you are long gone on Redszone.

REDREAD
04-11-2007, 04:30 PM
I don't remember him being this intense when he was doing DBacks games the last couple of years.

Daddy's influence? :laugh:

In all seriousness, I hope he doesn't gain any of Marty's attitude (like bashing Dunn at every chance, etc).

Blimpie
04-11-2007, 09:49 PM
I got the feeling he was trying too hard because he had a lot of knowledge of the Dbacks. He tried to cram too much in.I couldn't agree more.

Matt700wlw
04-11-2007, 09:54 PM
Daddy's influence? :laugh:

In all seriousness, I hope he doesn't gain any of Marty's attitude (like bashing Dunn at every chance, etc).

I've heard Marty praising his adjustments and approach so far this season....

Blimpie
04-11-2007, 09:54 PM

I didn't figure they would live up to the RZ standard for too long, but this is much faster than I thought.He has kinda given the Reds team a short lived honeymoon as well...

Last night, it was "This is a 4-4 game and your leadoff batter (Freel) swings at a 1-0 pitch against a guy who cannot throw strikes! Chris, I know you have followed this team for 15 years, but this is hard to watch...This team is only one game over .500 (4-3)...blah, blah, blah"

Blimpie
04-11-2007, 10:00 PM
All I have to say is that he doesn't look like a Reds fan....

I think a loyalty test is absolutely in order here... If... he... weighs... the same as a duck,... he's made of wood. And therefore? A Cubs fan!

Burn him! Burn him! Burn him! Burn! Burn!..."Well he HAS got a wart..."

http://www.intriguing.com/mp/_pictures/grail/large/HolyGrail028.jpg

Ltlabner
04-12-2007, 07:47 AM
He has kinda given the Reds team a short lived honeymoon as well...

Last night, it was "This is a 4-4 game and your leadoff batter (Freel) swings at a 1-0 pitch against a guy who cannot throw strikes! Chris, I know you have followed this team for 15 years, but this is hard to watch...This team is only one game over .500 (4-3)...blah, blah, blah"

Well, I also kinda get tired of watching guys hack away at the first/second pitch when the opposing pitcher has thrown a propensity of balls thus far. Sometimes the pitch you get to hit is the first one, then by all means let er rip. Otherwise, why hack like a mad man? So I don't see any problem with the announcer pointing out the realtiy of the situation.

Then again, I also understand that lots of folks here want a sanitized, yet not too homerish announcer with no opinions and only understated and reserved critisim for mistakes.

REDREAD
04-12-2007, 11:08 AM
I've heard Marty praising his adjustments and approach so far this season....

I've only heard three games on the radio this year, so maybe Brantley is a good influence on him. Marty does seem to be enjoying broadcasting more this year.

But you must admit that Marty has had an agenda to bash Dunn whenever possible over the last few years. If he's changed this attitude this year, that's great. I haven't heard him enough this year to tell for sure.

I don't know if it's because of Brantley's presense or just because it's the start of the season, but so far, Marty has been much more professional. I think Brantley does a great job of keeping him in the game. When Stewart was in there, Steve was so timid and scared to say anything, that he let Marty fill the air with all his nonsense (emails, tabloid stories, etc). There's even less time spent on that stupid trivia question this year, which is a great improvement. Brantley seems to want to get the trivia question over with and get back to the game, which is great, as it keeps that filler to a minimum.

Wouldn't it be great if the trivia question was actually related to baseball, instead of gangsters, obscure pirates, etc. ?

Reds/Flyers Fan
04-12-2007, 12:30 PM
Faint praise.

Sounds a bit like some RZ posters here.

I don't know when this franchise, which hasn't seen the playoffs in more than a decade, became off-limits to criticism. Mistakes and carelessness in game No. 9 of the season count every bit as much as mistakes in game No. 110.

Hard to believe there's now a longing for the good old days of strictly Grande and Welsh. How quickly George's fawning over everything Edmonds and Cardinals is forgotten.

Cedric
04-12-2007, 01:15 PM
Sounds a bit like some RZ posters here.

I don't know when this franchise, which hasn't seen the playoffs in more than a decade, became off-limits to criticism. Mistakes and carelessness in game No. 9 of the season count every bit as much as mistakes in game No. 110.

Hard to believe there's now a longing for the good old days of strictly Grande and Welsh. How quickly George's fawning over everything Edmonds and Cardinals is forgotten.

I'm just amazed at how sensitive people are. They hear one bad thing about Dunn and they have already written off Thom. It's just petty and arrogant, IMO. How dare someone actually have a differening opinion on baseball?

Blimpie
04-12-2007, 05:41 PM
Well, I also kinda get tired of watching guys hack away at the first/second pitch when the opposing pitcher has thrown a propensity of balls thus far. Sometimes the pitch you get to hit is the first one, then by all means let er rip. Otherwise, why hack like a mad man? So I don't see any problem with the announcer pointing out the realtiy of the situation.

Then again, I also understand that lots of folks here want a sanitized, yet not too homerish announcer with no opinions and only understated and reserved critisim for mistakes.In general, I agree with your statement. However, in the case I described, Medder had JUST entered the game. Freel swung at the second pitch that he threw to him.

There was no "propensity" for wildness on this night. The only reason it was even a topic was that Thom had formulated an opinion about Medder from watching him day in and day out last year as the D'Backs announcer.

Perhaps, instead of doing PBP for the Reds, he would have been best suited to be their advanced scout. That way, young Ryan Freel could have benefitted from Thom's skillset---as opposed to be a target for his rant.

Ltlabner
04-12-2007, 05:55 PM
In general, I agree with your statement. However, in the case I described, Medder had JUST entered the game. Freel swung at the second pitch that he threw to him.

There was no "propensity" for wildness on this night. The only reason it was even a topic was that Thom had formulated an opinion about Medder from watching him day in and day out last year as the D'Backs announcer.

Perhaps, instead of doing PBP for the Reds, he would have been best suited to be their advanced scout. That way, young Ryan Freel could have benefitted from Thom's skillset---as opposed to be a target for his rant.

So Thom's a bad guy for knowing the other team better than our own scouts? Shouldn't we be mad at the scouts instead of wringing our hands over the announcers and acting as if poor little Ryan might get his fealings hurt?

Ron Madden
04-12-2007, 06:10 PM
Seems like some Fans root for the Team.

Seems like some other Fans care more about the Announcers. :laugh:

Ltlabner
04-12-2007, 07:49 PM

And other people don't get their shorts in a wad when the announcers don't tow the Redszone line.

Hap
04-12-2007, 07:58 PM
I just don't think Thom has a right to player-hate. He hasn't been here for thirty years like his dad.

Ron Madden
04-12-2007, 08:34 PM
And other people don't get their shorts in a wad when the announcers don't tow the Redszone line.

:laugh: I rest my case.

gonelong
04-12-2007, 08:51 PM

I've got broken records that play more tunes than that. :p:

GL

Blimpie
04-13-2007, 08:06 AM
So Thom's a bad guy for knowing the other team better than our own scouts? Shouldn't we be mad at the scouts instead of wringing our hands over the announcers and acting as if poor little Ryan might get his fealings hurt?You missed my point by a country mile.

Kudos to Thom for knowing about the general propensities about the opposing team's short relievers.

My issue was with his exuberance to display this "proprietary" information. It did not fit with what had just been displayed on the field from EITHER Freel or from Medder.

You are still talking general, and I was speaking to the specifics...

See the difference?

RANDY IN INDY
04-13-2007, 08:33 AM

Kinda like caring more about individual players than the team as a whole.

Ron Madden
04-13-2007, 05:44 PM
Kinda like caring more about individual players than the team as a whole.

Yep, we have some like that too.