PDA

View Full Version : Griffey not pulling anything!!!!

WVPacman
04-10-2007, 01:31 AM
Every single at bat he has went to the oppisite field and im beginning to think that that wrist isn't healthy even thow he might say it is.Im almost positive that JR isn't trying to hit it to left field every single time b/c he loves pulling the ball.Something is difiently up with JR and his hitting!!! and it seems like he has even lost so,me power b/c the ball isn't carring far.

HumnHilghtFreel
04-10-2007, 01:38 AM
Mark Grace made a comment about him not being up to speed, possibly because of his hand/wrist on the D-backs broadcast. I think that's a fair observation. He really hasn't been getting around on the ball much.

All these early pop-ups could be attributed to his wrists not being strong right now and he isn't staying on top of the ball because of it. If your wrists are hurting, you're going to drop the bat head a lot.

WVPacman
04-10-2007, 01:42 AM
Mark Grace made a comment about him not being up to speed, possibly because of his hand/wrist on the D-backs broadcast. I think that's a fair observation. He really hasn't been getting around on the ball much.

All these early pop-ups could be attributed to his wrists not being strong right now and he isn't staying on top of the ball because of it.

Exactly!! I think he will regain his strenth later in the season but the reds coachs REALLY needs to keep a close eye on him.We difiently don't need him to have yet another long season on the DL.

Jpup
04-10-2007, 04:15 AM
the last time he hit, the ball was right down the heart of the plate. He should have sent it into the upper deck. He was just way behind. That is what happens when you get old. Hopefully he will get his timing down soon.

coachw513
04-10-2007, 07:39 AM
Another reason to give Hamilton some AB's in the outfield...both Griffey and Freel should be rested occasionally...it's not unrealistic to start Hamilton 3 times a week for the 2 of them..

37red
04-10-2007, 08:10 AM
He may be favoring the wrist but since he's not pulling it the defense has to play him normally and not all on one side. I like seeing Dunn and Griffey not pulling the ball every time.

Always Red
04-10-2007, 08:17 AM
I like seeing Junior take the ball the other way, too.

It'll get rid of the shift for him.

I think they've been pitching him mostly outside, trying to get him to pull the ball, which of course, results in ground balls to 2B.

Maybe the wrist is bothering him; then again, he's developing good habits by hitting the ball where it's pitched, and when he gets all the strength back, those will be rockets to left center.

registerthis
04-10-2007, 09:47 AM
I don't think it's anything to get concerned about. Junior hardly played during the spring, so it's not surprising that his injured wrist would play a factor in decreasing his bat speed. He'll come around, and by mid-May I'll bet that he's grounding right into the shift with the consistency we saw last year. ;)

M2
04-10-2007, 10:23 AM
Griffey's a slow healer and hand/wrist problems can completely screw up your swing. It wouldn't be shocking to see something like this send the guy's entire season down a rabbit hole. Also, he's getting older and he didn't get much of a spring training, so it could be a while before his bat speeds up.

PuffyPig
04-10-2007, 10:27 AM
Historically, when Griffey starts hitting the ball the other way and taking pitches, he's about to start hitting.

It's when he's swinging at everything and trying to pull everything that he's mired in a slump.

I think Griffey is on the right track.

Redsland
04-10-2007, 10:45 AM
Mark Grace made a comment about him not being up to speed, possibly because of his hand/wrist on the D-backs broadcast.
Brantley made the same observation on 700.

TOBTTReds
04-10-2007, 10:52 AM
I like it. By the time he is at 100%, he should be crushing balls to left, center, and right.

camisadelgolf
04-10-2007, 11:56 AM
I thought this was going to be a thread about his hamstrings. Anyway, one could argue that his batspeed is slower, and if it were where it used to be, he'd be pulling some of those balls over the fence.

smith288
04-10-2007, 12:14 PM
What about that crushed foul ball on that hard slider? He was right on that one

Spring~Fields
04-10-2007, 12:21 PM
Another reason to give Hamilton some AB's in the outfield...both Griffey and Freel should be rested occasionally...it's not unrealistic to start Hamilton 3 times a week for the 2 of them..

Foresight for a long, long season. :thumbup:

I donít think it would be unrealistic to give all three (Dunn, Griffey, Freel) of them a rest during a young season. I would like to see them doing well in August as well as April.

flyer85
04-10-2007, 12:25 PM
sure sign that the wrist/hand is bothering him.

TeamBoone
04-10-2007, 01:37 PM
Every single at bat he has went to the oppisite field and im beginning to think that that wrist isn't healthy even thow he might say it is.

Actually, he hasn't said his wrist is ok; in fact; he's said publicly that it's still painful at times, but he just has to play through it.

gm
04-10-2007, 01:40 PM

Good point. Jr also pulled a double down the RF line in a ST game a few weeks back

Jpup
04-10-2007, 02:28 PM

I believe that was a change up. He was way out in front of it because he starts his bat early to catch up with the fastball. JMO.

Jpup
04-10-2007, 02:28 PM

giving Jr. time off isn't going to help his timing, if that is the problem.

Reds1
04-10-2007, 02:32 PM
the last time he hit, the ball was right down the heart of the plate. He should have sent it into the upper deck. He was just way behind. That is what happens when you get old. Hopefully he will get his timing down soon.

Tell that to Conine. He looks great. I think Griffey pulled a foul ball way back down the 1st base line, but yes, he is going the other way. He's getting some hits though. Hopefully he'll get stronger. We need him.

Razor Shines
04-10-2007, 02:33 PM
I believe that was a change up. He was way out in front of it because he starts his bat early to catch up with the fastball. JMO.

It was a slider, FWIW. Jr. will be fine. Other teams still fear him and that provides other guys with better pitches.

Jpup
04-10-2007, 02:36 PM
Tell that to Conine. He looks great. I think Griffey pulled a foul ball way back down the 1st base line, but yes, he is going the other way. He's getting some hits though. Hopefully he'll get stronger. We need him.

Mark Grace said that Conine was 700 years old. :laugh:

reds44
04-10-2007, 05:17 PM
Every single at bat he has went to the oppisite field and im beginning to think that that wrist isn't healthy even thow he might say it is.Im almost positive that JR isn't trying to hit it to left field every single time b/c he loves pulling the ball.Something is difiently up with JR and his hitting!!! and it seems like he has even lost so,me power b/c the ball isn't carring far.
There was an aritcle on cincinnati.com the other day talking about how Griffey still has pain in his hand.

I'm not worried about him.

VR
04-10-2007, 05:52 PM
Re: Griffey not pulling anything!!!!.

This is great news. No hamstrings, quads, triceps, anything. Is that guaranteed?

Dracodave
04-10-2007, 06:22 PM
This is great news. No hamstrings, quads, triceps, anything. Is that guaranteed?

Bingo, I dig the injury free Griffey so far. He's hit balls pretty hard. Griffeys coming to grips with his age, thats all..Just let him play, if theres one guy who will be fine, it's Griffey.