PDA

View Full Version : Oden to the NBA

redsfan30
04-10-2007, 12:36 PM
Nothing's official yet, but I'm hearing from pretty reliable sources that Greg Oden and Mike Conley will both come back to school for one more year and it sounds like they will make it official at a public celebration tomorrow night at the Value City Arena.

I've said since the day Oden signed his letter of intent that he'd stay at least two years and I think I'm the only one who's stuck by that stance the whole time. I'm getting ready to pat myself on the back. ;)

Stay tuned.

Edit: Well, according to his dad, he's going pro. My friend who has a connection with the coaching staff said that the staff is still under the same impression they were earlier this week and that they have not heard anything from Greg to make them think differently. I'm still holding out hope.

Reds Fanatic
04-10-2007, 12:38 PM
Very good news. With him being so close to Conley and Conley staying I think that is a big factor in him staying.

Red Leader
04-10-2007, 12:39 PM
If true, good for him, and Ohio St.

I don't know if he truly needs another year of playing college basketball, I mean he could make the jump now, but I think he will greatly benefit from returning.

Reds Fanatic
04-10-2007, 12:40 PM
The other big freshman Kevin Durant from Texas it looks like is going pro. There is a press conference at 5 PM in which he is supposed to announce that.

GoReds
04-10-2007, 12:44 PM
No truth to the rumors that Durant's press conference will originate from Danny Ainge's living room.

dabvu2498
04-10-2007, 12:47 PM
No truth to the rumors that Durant's press conference will originate from Danny Ainge's living room.

That is funny.

Caseyfan21
04-10-2007, 12:48 PM
I was in the "he will stay camp" earlier this year but towards the end of the season I switched to the "he will go camp." I will gladly eat as much crow as given if I turn out to be wrong.

I would imagine if they stay it will be announced just before or at the public celebration thing. However, if we haven't heard by the end of the celebration then I'm thinking he'll go pro. He made it known he would wait a week after the NCAA tourney to announce his intentions and that would be this week. If he is planning on coming back he might as well say something so the fans can show appreciation and won't rain down the "1 more year" chants.

Also, on a positive note, I heard that he had enrolled and is attending classes this quarter so that would seem to support him returning.

Has anyone heard anything on Cook yet? I heard rumblings and my dad heard a rumor he was still thinking about going pro.

Roy Tucker
04-10-2007, 01:38 PM
I'm about as pro-college as there is in the world. It is an unbelievably valuable life experience both from the educational and growing-up aspects as you can get. My kids know that college is a given thing in their future.

But I've got a 19 year old freshman son. A big part of going to college is acquiring the means for financial security. If someone offered him $14M plus a $50M shoe contract, I'd say "Son, you can always go back to college. This is a guranteed buying the winning lottery ticket. Go pro".

WMR
04-10-2007, 01:40 PM
Ooh if he stays he just made Kevin Durant a very happy boy.

dabvu2498
04-10-2007, 01:41 PM
I'm about as pro-college as there is in the world. It is an unbelievably valuable life experience both from the educational and growing-up aspects as you can get. My kids know that college is a given thing in their future.

But I've got a 19 year old freshman son. A big part of going to college is acquiring the means for financial security. If someone offered him $14M plus a $50M shoe contract, I'd say "Son, you can always go back to college. This is a guranteed buying the winning lottery ticket. Go pro".

Agreed.

It's a poor business decision.

Good for the Buckeyes.

WMR
04-10-2007, 01:44 PM
I heard he played this year with a 10 million dollar insurance policy... he should definitely get that number upped.

EddieMilner
04-10-2007, 01:58 PM
I won't believe it till I see it, but I hope you are right.

IslandRed
04-10-2007, 01:58 PM
I'm not sure whether Oden needs another year of college, either.

Argument for returning: He's not as polished as he'll need to be in the NBA, particularly on offense. He needs to expand his offensive game and learn how to stay out of foul trouble.

Argument for going: College ball has so few legitimate centers, he's already a man amongst boys. How much is he going to learn pushing around lesser athletes for another year?

I'm not sure there's a wrong choice, just whatever he's comfortable doing.

Caseyfan21
04-10-2007, 01:59 PM

I agree with you completely. If he goes pro he's set for life no matter what happens. But I'll play the devil's advocate for a second.

Oden Goes to the NBA: Oden gets all the big money and goes to the league. He ends up with whatever bottom dweller wins the first pick and is immediately annointed the savior. However, he will either sit the bench for a year to develop or be pushed into a starting role out of necessity and become a Kwame Brown because, in reality, his game is built on size. In the NBA he will have to guard true centers every game like Hibberd of G'town. While he will hold his own from a strength and size standpoint, he has no face up game and no real jumper. He also has shown this year he can't really guard guys that do have those games without getting into foul trouble. Finally, he doesn't have many good post moves, just a few that get him looks based on size. If he goes pro I can see him being successful but an all time great? No way. He will probably have a productive NBA career but will not reach his potential for future endorsements.

Oden stays another year: If Oden stays he has a good chance at winning the NCAA title. With Kufos coming in he will also have a great practice matchup. I think having to guard another 7 footer every day in practice, especially one with more of a perimeter game will help Greg tremendously. I think next year he will show us more of a face up game being able to hit mid range jumpers. I think with his wrist fully healing he won't be afraid to pop out for jumpers and handle the ball a little like Hibberd can do. I think we will also see a more mature polished defensive player. Guarding Kufos all the time in practice will improve his defense so he will pick up less cheap fouls. I think he can team up with Conley to lead the Buckeyes all the way to San Antonio. In fact, anything less would be a failure in the eyes of Buckeye fans. Then, he can bolt after next year and still get all his money. He is also much more prepared and can be a superstar right away. His endorsement dollars would be greater throughout his career and he has the better possibility of a HOF career.

Of course, the other side is gets seriously injured but with that $10 million insurance policy it sure isn't as serious of a risk.

That injury risk would be too great for me, though, if I were in his shoes. If I were him I'd have already sent in my papers for the draft.

Heath
04-10-2007, 03:08 PM
I'd like to see Oden with two healthy wrists.

WMR
04-10-2007, 03:10 PM
I'd like to see Oden with two healthy wrists.

::Big Ten:: "I wouldn't!!"

BoxingRed
04-10-2007, 03:42 PM
Nothing's official yet, but I'm hearing from pretty reliable sources that Greg Oden and Mike Conley will both come back to school for one more year and it sounds like they will make it official at a public celebration tomorrow night at the Value City Arena.

I've said since the day Oden signed his letter of intent that he'd stay at least two years and I think I'm the only one who's stuck by that stance the whole time. I'm getting ready to pat myself on the back. ;)

Stay tuned.

Sorry man, but unless your source is Greg Oden, I'll wait for the press conference.
Cold Pizza, not the greatest source either, said he was all but in.
I admire the faith you have in a season at OSU overcoming guaranteed millions, but if he were to do that, I can tell you without looking that he isn't taking business, economics or logic classes.

Razor Shines
04-10-2007, 04:29 PM
I hope he stays. I will be so disappointed if he goes to the NBA, it will be a sad sad day.

bucksfan2
04-10-2007, 05:00 PM
OSU grad here: I think Oden could use another year of college seasoning. He needs to work on some things such as a quicker footwork, developing a 10 foot jumper, better footwork on defense away from the goal, etc. From everything I have heard is that he is a intelligent individual who enjoys the college life. Why rush that? I dont know if he can help or hurt his NBA stock much if he comes back another year but I do think he can become a better player and more NBA ready with another year. Not to mention a year smarter for a great osu education :p:

This past season I got sick and tired of commentaters and analysts specualting on whether he will go pro. For goodness sake let the guy play college ball without those idiots saying hes going or hes not going. I wish the NCAA would limit that kind of chatter.

Caseyfan21
04-10-2007, 05:12 PM
Not that it means anything, but several people on the different OSU boards (Scout, Bucknuts, BuckeyePlanet) are all saying similar rumors. Not sure who RF30 heard his info from but there are multiple people all hinting at the same thing with (presumably) different sources. A few people have specifically said that "something big" will happen at the pep rally tomorrow night. Take it for what it's worth though and keep fingers crossed.

dabvu2498
04-10-2007, 05:41 PM
Just remember, that if you believe Bill Walton, coming back to OSU won't do anything to help Oden's game: http://mlb-police-blotter.aolsportsblog.com/2007/04/06/bill-walton-rips-thad-matta-over-use-of-greg-oden/

DTCromer
04-10-2007, 05:57 PM

Stay tuned.

I've heard the exact opposite. Oden was seriously considering staying, but he decided he didn't want to take a chance especially since his hand injuries. I think he'll go pro. Conley will definitely stay another year, but I think Greg leaves.

BuckeyeRed27
04-10-2007, 08:28 PM
I've heard the exact opposite. Oden was seriously considering staying, but he decided he didn't want to take a chance especially since his hand injuries. I think he'll go pro. Conley will definitely stay another year, but I think Greg leaves.

Source?

creek14
04-10-2007, 08:42 PM
Source?
Look at his rep then think about the source. :)

bucksfan
04-10-2007, 10:30 PM
I agree that he's obviously set if he goes pro immediately, regardless of the relative success he may experience. But as was mentioned, that's only considering it from a business standpoint. There is still more to his life presumably than just going on to that next level as quickly as possible. That next level surely is his ultimate target, but getting there as quickly as possible may indeed not be. Given his insurance policy and the fact that that $ really isn't going anywhere in a year, I can definitely understand him wanting to stay if he's as comfortable with his college life at OSU as I was (and I wasn't even adored by anyone, not to mention everyone! ;) ).

And purely from a skill POV, as others have also said, I think he will clearly benefit from playing another year of college ball. I think he has some huge strides he can make at the college level that may take him much linger in the pros.

IslandRed
04-10-2007, 10:52 PM
And purely from a skill POV, as others have also said, I think he will clearly benefit from playing another year of college ball. I think he has some huge strides he can make at the college level that may take him much linger in the pros.

I'm not sure that's true, although it could be in some cases. I hear that a lot, people talking about what such-and-so has to do before he gets to the league, as if it's expected that his development will come to a screeching halt when he starts getting paid. That can be true when you're talking about a guy with serious weaknesses who has to fix them lest he rot on the bench instead of getting real minutes. But if you're talking about a guy with a work ethic and who is good enough to play already, particularly at that young age, he's probably going to get better faster in the pros. He'll play more ball, and against better competition. As for the level of coaching, that kind of depends on where he ends up in the NBA and your opinion of Matta.

Having said that, I don't think coming back for another year is going to cause him any long-term harm, barring a career-type injury.

Unassisted
04-11-2007, 12:58 AM
Article in the Dispatch says that Oden, Conley and Cook are going to meet in Indianapolis on Sunday to decide whether or not to declare for the draft. The tone of Conley Sr.'s quotes in that article is very non-commital about what any of the 3 might decide.

redsfan30
04-11-2007, 10:36 AM
There certainly have been alot of conflicting reports swirling around, but I'm going to stick by what I heard yesterday morning. I've got a good friend at Ohio State with a pretty close tie to the coaching staff and I was given this information before any of the same rumors began to float around.

According to my friend, the coaches and staff at Ohio State are under the impression from Greg and Mike directly that they will indeed return to Ohio State for their sophmore seasons.

Chip R
04-11-2007, 10:41 AM
Usually, a good rule of thumb on whether a guy will turn pro is to see where his press conference is at. If it's at school, he's staying. If it's elsewhere, he's going.

redsfan30
04-11-2007, 11:15 AM
Kyle Lamb, an insider over at the Ohio State scout board now is hearing there will be no announcement tonight, but still believes they are coming back.

Again, stay tuned.

Hoosier Red
04-11-2007, 12:07 PM
I'm not sure that's true, although it could be in some cases. I hear that a lot, people talking about what such-and-so has to do before he gets to the league, as if it's expected that his development will come to a screeching halt when he starts getting paid. That can be true when you're talking about a guy with serious weaknesses who has to fix them lest he rot on the bench instead of getting real minutes. But if you're talking about a guy with a work ethic and who is good enough to play already, particularly at that young age, he's probably going to get better faster in the pros. He'll play more ball, and against better competition. As for the level of coaching, that kind of depends on where he ends up in the NBA and your opinion of Matta.

Having said that, I don't think coming back for another year is going to cause him any long-term harm, barring a career-type injury.

I think going back to school could only hurt Oden's draft prospects at this point. Everyone wrote off much of his offensive limitations this year as being a result of his wrist injury. And while that's true, when he comes back next year the expectations are going to be through the roof.
If, for whatever reason, he can't reach them, his stock could tumble. Not out of the first round or even the top 5, but right now he's almost the consensus #1 pick. Not a lot of places to go from there.

Hoosier Red
04-11-2007, 12:07 PM
Of course, I'm more than a little biased. :evil:

BRM
04-11-2007, 12:11 PM
I think going back to school could only hurt Oden's draft prospects at this point. Everyone wrote off much of his offensive limitations this year as being a result of his wrist injury. And while that's true, when he comes back next year the expectations are going to be through the roof.
If, for whatever reason, he can't reach them, his stock could tumble. Not out of the first round or even the top 5, but right now he's almost the consensus #1 pick. Not a lot of places to go from there.

That's how I see it as well. He's most likely the #1 pick right now. There really isn't any reason to return to school unless he has a real strong desire to try to win a national championship. I'd be recommending to him to make the jump now while his stock is so high. Lots of things can happen between now and the end of next season.

Roy Tucker
04-11-2007, 12:12 PM
Oden could turn pro easily, Conley might have some size issues early on but would be OK, but Cook is crazy if he thinks he is within light-years of being pro-ready.

SunDeck
04-11-2007, 12:14 PM
I heard he played this year with a 10 million dollar insurance policy... he should definitely get that number upped.

Is the premium payed by the NBA?

Puffy
04-11-2007, 12:43 PM
In other, better news - both Hansbrough and Lawson have announced they are returning next year for the Heels.

Rock on.

Oh, and Brandon Wright, who me, Blue and the world thought was an easy one and done still hasn't made a decision. The fact that its taken this long means he really is on the fence, which is better than I ever would have hoped. Get him back and look out.

BoxingRed
04-11-2007, 01:38 PM
Really, in this situation, the coach should be telling Oden to go pro. Otherwise, he is putting his own interests in front of those of the player.
There is nothing Oden could learn about basketball in college that he couldn't learn, with potentially better instruction, in the pros IMO.

Razor Shines
04-11-2007, 01:40 PM
In other, better news - both Hansbrough and Lawson have announced they are returning next year for the Heels.

Rock on.

Oh, and Brandon Wright, who me, Blue and the world thought was an easy one and done still hasn't made a decision. The fact that its taken this long means he really is on the fence, which is better than I ever would have hoped. Get him back and look out.

I think Hansbrough made a great decision, he wasn't quite NBA ready yet and I think he is going to dominate next year (even more than he did this year), I like his game and I look forward to watching him play. Even though one of my favorite teams is Duke, and he's going to kill them again this year.

bucksfan2
04-11-2007, 03:12 PM
Really, in this situation, the coach should be telling Oden to go pro. Otherwise, he is putting his own interests in front of those of the player.
There is nothing Oden could learn about basketball in college that he couldn't learn, with potentially better instruction, in the pros IMO.

Yes and no. I heard an interview when Oden said that he would not go to the NBA until he new he could dominate. Right now Oden is ready for the NBA but is not at the dominant state that he wants to be. If I am Matta I tell him that he could play in the NBA right now but he wouldn't be able to play to the level that he wanted. I tell him that another year of the extra practice and attention he would get in college would benefit him greatly in terms of his game. Not to mention another year to grow and mature in a college environment could do wonders for him. He most definatly could go pro and start but I think he could learn more about himself and his game with another year of college.

GoReds
04-11-2007, 03:22 PM

Rock on.

Couple of interesting notes on Wright and the UNC crowd...

Hansbrough and Lawson had already decided to return just after the tourney. They didn't want to announce it then, thinking it would put more pressure on Wright to make a decision. When it became more of a hassle than it worth, they went public.

Don't expect Wright to announce soon. Roy is on vacation and Wright won't announce anything until he returns at the end of next week (around the 20th?). In any case, Williams commented that Wright was putting off making the decision to the point that Williams told him he couldn't avoid doing so much longer.

The bad news, IMO, is with Oden possibly staying put, it elevates Wright's draft value and could be too tempting for him to resist.

smith288
04-11-2007, 03:54 PM
They (1460) is now reporting they are announcing tonight at the rally they intend to go to the NBA.

Is it me or does that sound stupid to announce that at that rally (if true)?

redsfan30
04-11-2007, 03:59 PM
I don't buy that 1460 report at all. There is no way they would announce it at the rally. No way.

The reaction would not be positive at all. They do not seem like the type of guys that would "rub it in" to the fans.

smith288
04-11-2007, 04:07 PM
Maybe they are announcing but leaked a false report (and deciding to come back) to get the fullest effect out of the fans?

redsfan30
04-11-2007, 04:09 PM
The info I was given yesterday was that they were ready to announce they were going to return tonight at the rally. I talked to my friend and he has not had a chance to talk to anybody so I'm not sure what's going on.

I still won't be shocked if they announce their return tonight.

Puffy
04-11-2007, 04:12 PM
Couple of interesting notes on Wright and the UNC crowd...

Hansbrough and Lawson had already decided to return just after the tourney. They didn't want to announce it then, thinking it would put more pressure on Wright to make a decision. When it became more of a hassle than it worth, they went public.

Don't expect Wright to announce soon. Roy is on vacation and Wright won't announce anything until he returns at the end of next week (around the 20th?). In any case, Williams commented that Wright was putting off making the decision to the point that Williams told him he couldn't avoid doing so much longer.

The bad news, IMO, is with Oden possibly staying put, it elevates Wright's draft value and could be too tempting for him to resist.

Yeah, Roy also stated that he has never seen anyone so laissez faire about this decision in his life. He told Wright then when he went home over Easter he should sit down and discuss it with his mom - when he got back he asked them if they sat down and talked. Wright says yes, but only for 10 minutes.

It really seems like a kid who doesn't want to go yet, but with the $$$ being bantied about others are forcing him to mull it over.

Red Leader
04-11-2007, 04:13 PM
A buddy of mine at work (and I have no idea who his source is) told me that he heard Oden, Conley, and Cook were all leaving early for the NBA. Again, I have no idea where he heard this, but that's what he told me this morning.

Bottom line: I'm not sure you can trust anything until you hear it from the players.

Razor Shines
04-11-2007, 04:24 PM
A buddy of mine at work (and I have no idea who his source is) told me that he heard Oden, Conley, and Cook were all leaving early for the NBA. Again, I have no idea where he heard this, but that's what he told me this morning.

Bottom line: I'm not sure you can trust anything until you hear it from the players.

Wow that would be outstanding for my Hoosiers. And I'd like to see the Pacers get a shot to draft Mike Conley, they need a point guard.

Puffy
04-11-2007, 04:47 PM

A buddy of mine at work who knows the janitor at the University of Florida said that his brother is the janitor at the Columbus Arts League and he knows the janitor at one of the Starbucks in Columbus and that guys brother is a freshman who lives in the next dorm over from Oden and he says he has no idea whats going to happen here.

Take that for what its worth....

DTCromer
04-11-2007, 05:01 PM
Source?

Someone as close to the situation as can be. As of 3 weeks ago, he was leaving but obviously, things could've changed. I could give you the exact name of the source, but only in a PM if you'd like to know. You're not going to know the guy, but it's pretty legit. (God, I hate this type of "my source knows better than your source" crap because more often than not, these type of posts I'm making are full of crap. . . . so take it for what it's worth.)

Look at his rep then think about the source.

As we all know, reputation points should be taken very seriously.

Chip R
04-11-2007, 05:18 PM
My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who heard Oden say he was going pro out at 31 Flavors last night.

dieselman44
04-11-2007, 05:21 PM
Oden AND Conley are both leaving. take it to the bank. If your surprised at Conley leaving just look at his situation, exactly how can he improve his draft stock by staying?

Red Leader
04-11-2007, 05:22 PM
Chip - Puffy's post wasn't very funny so that makes your post, posted a half an hour later, even less funny.

I apologize if my original post started this. I just wanted to post that I did hear (from OSU fans I work with) that they had heard all 3 of those guys were leaving. Sorry that my posting that caused what followed.

guttle11
04-11-2007, 05:23 PM
I heard they were staying when I said it out loud. Trust me, the guy I heard it from is as credible as it gets.

Chip R
04-11-2007, 05:27 PM
Chip - Puffy's post wasn't very funny so that makes your post, posted a half an hour later, even less funny.

Suck it, Trebek.

Spring~Fields
04-11-2007, 06:07 PM
I had a dream last night that Oden and the rest left for the NBA, and that Matta recruited an even better team for next year and that all the anti-Ohio State rebel rousers had to have therapy………:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

creek14
04-11-2007, 06:20 PM
Conley might have some size issues
Size doesn't matter. :devil:

creek14
04-11-2007, 06:21 PM
In some cases, yes.

rdiersin
04-11-2007, 06:25 PM
I had a dream last night that Oden and the rest left for the NBA, and that Matta recruited an even better team for next year and that all the anti-Ohio State rebel rousers had to have therapy………:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Huh, I had a similar dream, except mine went one step further where OSU was found to have done some illegal recruiting. Wierd. ;)

Back on topic, I hope they do what's best for them. If they think staying school will help them grow as people then that's great and I hope they do it. But if not, take the money and grow as players, or at least get paid, and get your education as you go along.

Roy Tucker
04-11-2007, 06:36 PM
Size doesn't matter. :devil:

It's not the size of the ship, it's the motion of the ocean. :cool:

registerthis
04-11-2007, 06:39 PM

Perhaps not, but a negative - 55 is reaching uncharted territory, I do believe.

cincy09
04-11-2007, 06:59 PM
Perhaps not, but a negative - 55 is reaching uncharted territory, I do believe.

How exactly does one get to -55 reputation?

Grounds_Crew
04-11-2007, 07:28 PM
Put this in your pipe and smoke it boys and girls.

Ohio State could lose Conley, Oden
posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2007 | Feedback | Print Entry

Ohio State freshman point guard Mike Conley Jr. was the most consistent player for the Buckeyes this season, the star during the team's run to the national title game. With NBA scouts now talking about him as a potential top-10 pick, Conley may declare for the draft.

Ohio State always knew the possibility existed that center Greg Oden could be one-and-done, but the play of Conley down the stretch could force Ohio State to lose its two best players.

"He's got to consider it, without a doubt," said Mike Conley Sr., who added that he is now a registered agent with the NBA.

"He realizes that he can't blindly say that he's going back to school after he had decided that a month ago," Conley Sr. said. "Things have changed and he has to consider it."

Conley hit the game-winning bucket with six seconds left to beat Wisconsin to win the Big Ten regular-season title. He scored 21 points (11 in overtime) in a win against Xavier in the second round of the NCAA Tournament. He scored 15 points with six assists and one turnover in a national semifinal win over Georgetown.

Conley Sr. said he doesn't think his son or Oden, whom he coached during the summer circuit while Oden was in high school, will wait until the April 29 deadline. An Ohio State spokesperson said Tuesday that Oden hasn't set any kind of timetable for a decision.

Conley Sr. said he anticipates being his son's and Oden's agent, so if they decide to declare, they wouldn't have the pressure to sign with an agent before the June 18 withdrawal deadline.

"I anticipate them putting their name in, but not signing," Conley Sr. said. "Believe it or not, the boys are naive to the process and they need to be educated to all of it.

"There are different dynamics with both of them," Conley Sr. said. "In Michael's case, he came on rapidly at the end and didn't have a lot of planning on this. People have been talking to Greg for a year or two on this, but it took Michael by storm."

Ohio State's coaching staff could not be reached for comment Tuesday.

For the record, I want Oden and Conley to both stay at OSU for all of the obvious reasons...but, if they can make the business decision to enter the draft and make a lot of money, then more power to them. The above article is an ESPN Insider article. I didnt provide the link because unless you are a subscriber, the link will not work for you.

BuckeyeRed27
04-11-2007, 08:54 PM
Well sounds like the pep rally is over and there was nothing said either way. I would say that isn't good for them staying, but looks like we're still waiting.

Blimpie
04-11-2007, 10:43 PM

Rock on.

Oh, and Brandon Wright, who me, Blue and the world thought was an easy one and done still hasn't made a decision. The fact that its taken this long means he really is on the fence, which is better than I ever would have hoped. Get him back and look out.That team will be frightening next year.

redsfan30
04-11-2007, 10:44 PM
Apparently, Thad Matta's quote to close out the evening was "If things go down the way I think they will, we're gonna have a hell of a team next year."

Take that for what it's worth.

Blimpie
04-11-2007, 10:46 PM
Apparently, Thad Matta's quote to close out the evening was "If things go down the way I think they will, we're gonna have a hell of a team next year."

Take that for what it's worth.That must mean that Matta just had his FY08 budget approved...<dodges rotten tomatoes>

;)

Mutaman
04-12-2007, 12:47 AM
The possibility of Greg Oden coming back leads me to wonder: Will he be taking the "Advanced History of Rock n Roll" next year? Also, I know he got two credits for playing basketball as a Freshman. Does OSU give him five credits if he plays as a Sophmore? Just wondering.

BuckeyeRed27
04-12-2007, 01:08 AM
The possibility of Greg Oden coming back leads me to wonder: Will he be taking the "Advanced History of Rock n Roll" next year? Also, I know he got two credits for playing basketball as a Freshman. Does OSU give him five credits if he plays as a Sophmore? Just wondering.

You get one credit per quarter. Basketball season goes across two quarters. That's how it worked for me anyways.

Caseyfan21
04-12-2007, 09:08 AM

Just so you know, Oden only took a lighter load due to the demands of the basketball season. Only twice during your collegiate career (2 out of 4 years) is a player allowed to use their sport as a 2 credit class as well. FYI, Oden is taking a full load this spring including calculus and biology among others. Certainly not your normal jock class load and it goes to show he is one of the few players that actually want to challenge themselves and take some worthwhile classes in college. He got way too much thrown his way for his class load last quarter and I wish people would publicize this quarter's class load as much as last quarters GEC's.

Caseyfan21
04-12-2007, 09:14 AM

Take that for what it's worth.

Interesting.

I have a few thoughts on what I believe will happen (I don't have any sources so this is purely speculation):

1.) Oden and Conley will go together on whatever decision they make whether staying or going.

2.) At this point I can't see Oden coming back. Why not just say it yesterday and get it over with? I think if he wanted to dodge the spotlight he will announce today or tomorrow on campus. If we get to the weekend I would have to say he's almost certainly gone. Especially if he decides to announce from Indianapolis after this weekend's rumored meeting between him, Cook, and Conley.

3.) I get the feeling Cook will probably do as Oden and Conley too. They stuck together for college and I get the feeling they may stick together now.

I hope Oden stays but if he doesn't say anything between now and the weekend I think he's probably gone. Maybe this extended time frame shows he's really having a tough time making a decision. If that's the case I have a bad feeling because money has a great ability to sway decision making.

registerthis
04-12-2007, 01:46 PM
FYI, Oden is taking a full load this spring including calculus and biology among others.

Darn you and your facts, getting in the way of a good old anti-OSU rant.

bucksfan2
04-12-2007, 02:03 PM

Its actually not as easy of a class as you think. And it also meets a GEC class which every student at osu has to take. People are talking this the golf class that Katzenmoyer took.

BoxingRed
04-12-2007, 02:09 PM
Just so you know, Oden only took a lighter load due to the demands of the basketball season. Only twice during your collegiate career (2 out of 4 years) is a player allowed to use their sport as a 2 credit class as well. FYI, Oden is taking a full load this spring including calculus and biology among others. Certainly not your normal jock class load and it goes to show he is one of the few players that actually want to challenge themselves and take some worthwhile classes in college. He got way too much thrown his way for his class load last quarter and I wish people would publicize this quarter's class load as much as last quarters GEC's.

I agree that it should be aknowledged he is taking a full load.

But, not that you said it does, it doesn't mean he's staying at OSU. People can still get an education and play pro basketball. I believe Shaq got his degree recently and Grant Hill's name sticks in my mind as well.
All the more reason that it's pretty silly for Oden to stay.

BTW, I am not an OSU hater. I just think it is silly that fans of a particular school think that their players should stay when, with any real scrutiny, those fans should realize they are hurting the chances of long term success for an individual they supposedly care about, just so they can see their school succeed in the short term.
If Oden won Powerball tomorrow and never had to worry about money for the rest of his life, he should go play for the local Y league if that tickles his fancy. Otherwise, take the money and do the best you can with it and your talent.

Cedric
04-12-2007, 02:17 PM
Greg Oden should take whatever classes he wants to. I say to hell with the idiots just looking for someone to bash. According to reports the guy is definately book smart.

BuckeyeRed27
04-12-2007, 02:25 PM

But, not that you said it does, it doesn't mean he's staying at OSU. People can still get an education and play pro basketball. I believe Shaq got his degree recently and Grant Hill's name sticks in my mind as well.

BTW, I am not an OSU hater. I just think it is silly that fans of a particular school think that their players should stay when, with any real scrutiny, those fans should realize they are hurting the chances of long term success for an individual they supposedly care about, just so they can see their school succeed in the short term.
If Oden won Powerball tomorrow and never had to worry about money for the rest of his life, he should go play for the local Y league if that tickles his fancy. Otherwise, take the money and do the best you can with it and your talent.

Valid point and obviously if GO returned and was hurt and couldn't play NBA ball that would be a horrible thing. However it is very unlikely that will happen. I haven't been around that long but I can't think of one high profile player who has been injured and unable to play. People have brought up Kenyon Martin as an example of a person that has had a horrible injury and still had a lot of pro success.

So when you consider that, fans of any school care more about the school's success than any individual. Ask any Ohio State fan if they want to win the NCAA tournament next year or have Greg Oden be the NBA Rookie or the Year I think everyone will say NCAA tournament. Is that selfish? Sure it is. But I'm a fan of the Ohio State Buckeyes more than I'm a fan of Greg Oden.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
04-12-2007, 02:38 PM

Yea he could take classes and graduate if he went to the NBA but I think too often we forget that these players are just kids. It shouldn't be all about the money, college was the best time of my life and looking back I wouldn't trade it for a million dollars. I made friends that will last for ever, I met my wife who has given me a wonderfull little boy, and when he grows up I will tell him the same thing I would tell Oden. Stay in school. If I remember right he has like a 10MIL insurance policy on himself so if he can never play again he will have 10 mil and a diploma.

BoxingRed
04-12-2007, 02:39 PM
So when you consider that, fans of any school care more about the school's success than any individual. Ask any Ohio State fan if they want to win the NCAA tournament next year or have Greg Oden be the NBA Rookie or the Year I think everyone will say NCAA tournament. Is that selfish? Sure it is. But I'm a fan of the Ohio State Buckeyes more than I'm a fan of Greg Oden.

And IMO, that is kind of lame. That's why I say Matta should be saying, "Thanks for the season Greg and we'll expect a big donation." Pitino has done it with several players. His rule has always been, "if you are a lotto pick, you should go."

(On a side note, I stil have my OSU crew shirt from when I was on George Washington's crew team and beat the pants off you many years ago.:thumbup: )

gonelong
04-12-2007, 02:52 PM

How would staying another year at OSU hurt his chances of long term success? I think Oden will be successful in the NBA if he leaves this year or the next.

He already has a $10M insurance policy from what I understand. It sounds to me like he is already set for life either way.

Personally it doesn't make me much difference if Oden stays or goes. I think he will stay for another year though.

GL

Hoosier Red
04-12-2007, 05:02 PM
If he gets hurt and doesn't play again, the $10 million dollars probably wouldn't cover 1/5th of his initial earnings(salary plus endorsements he won't be getting.)
It wouldn't suck as a back up plan, but still he's passing up a lot of possible money to try and come back.

Also as stated, what if he comes back and isn't as effective as people expect. What if Eric Gordon(Go IU) or whomever North Carolina recruits becomes the new flavor of the month?

Think it won't happen to him? Nobody would have expected Matt Leinart to go 9th in the NFL draft when he decided to come back to USC.

Puffy
04-12-2007, 05:04 PM
If he gets hurt and doesn't play again, the $10 million dollars probably wouldn't cover 1/5th of his initial earnings(salary plus endorsements he won't be getting.)
It wouldn't suck as a back up plan, but still he's passing up a lot of possible money to try and come back.

Also as stated, what if he comes back and isn't as effective as people expect. What if Eric Gordon(Go IU) or whomever North Carolina recruits becomes the new flavor of the month?

Think it won't happen to him? Nobody would have expected Matt Leinart to go 9th in the NFL draft when he decided to come back to USC.

Basketball is a little different than the football.

No way no how Oden doesn't go number 1 no matter when he declares. You can't teach height.

Hell, Benoit Benjamin was the number 1 overall pick in the early 90s.

dabvu2498
04-12-2007, 05:07 PM
Hell, Benoit Benjamin was the number 1 overall pick in the early 90s.

Hakeem and Sam Bowie were picked ahead of MJ.

Benoit was #3 overall pick in 1985. (Felling older now?)

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
04-12-2007, 05:16 PM

Big men are few and far between, and he played half the year at 50%. I can't see him going anywhere but up with another year of college under his belt. IMO theres a greater chance of flopping in the NBA by leaving this year than there is of him taking a step back at the college level.

redsfan30
04-12-2007, 05:43 PM
I'm still sticking by what I was told....Conley and Oden will be back. They may "declare" for the draft, but by not (potentially) signing with an agent, they would be allowed to return for another year.

Hoosier Red
04-12-2007, 05:49 PM
Big men are few and far between, and he played half the year at 50%. I can't see him going anywhere but up with another year of college under his belt. IMO theres a greater chance of flopping in the NBA by leaving this year than there is of him taking a step back at the college level.

How do you go up from being the #1 pick?

Caseyfan21
04-12-2007, 05:53 PM
How do you go up from being the #1 pick?

Can't go up in terms of draft position but if he were to come back and totally dominate next year to the tune of national POY, he will most certainly get more endorsement dollars and probably be a better NBA player his first year.

Puffy
04-12-2007, 05:56 PM
I'm still sticking by what I was told....Conley and Oden will be back. They may "declare" for the draft, but by not (potentially) signing with an agent, they would be allowed to return for another year.

If Oden declares then he's going. Signing with an agent will mean nothing. He's the number 1 pick, people declare and then not sign an agent to get a test of their true value. Oden knows his value. Its number 1.

He's not the type of kid to say I don't want to play in Memphis so I'm going back to OSU - heck, if he did that Memphis could trade the pick for a king's ransom.

No, Oden eithers declares and is gone or stays. There is no declaring, not signing an agent and then going back. Maybe with Conley, but not with the number 1 pick.

Nike alone would offer him 25 million once he declared....

Hoosier Red
04-12-2007, 06:09 PM
Can't go up in terms of draft position but if he were to come back and totally dominate next year to the tune of national POY, he will most certainly get more endorsement dollars and probably be a better NBA player his first year.

The number one pick gets paid the same roughly whether he's going to be more prepared or not. While the team who will select him later as the #1 pick probably would like a more finished project, but to Oden he's getting paid either way.

Plus, I'm pretty sure our accountants could point out to the time value of money, even just one year.

I'm not saying you're wrong about him staying, or even the merits of staying.
But, financially, he's better off leaving and signing checks now rather than later.

redsfan30
04-12-2007, 07:45 PM
If Oden declares then he's going. Signing with an agent will mean nothing. He's the number 1 pick, people declare and then not sign an agent to get a test of their true value. Oden knows his value. Its number 1.

He's not the type of kid to say I don't want to play in Memphis so I'm going back to OSU - heck, if he did that Memphis could trade the pick for a king's ransom.

No, Oden eithers declares and is gone or stays. There is no declaring, not signing an agent and then going back. Maybe with Conley, but not with the number 1 pick.

Nike alone would offer him 25 million once he declared....
The issue with this is Mike Conley. They (whether it's been said publicly or not) are a package deal. If one goes, the other goes and vice versa.

As I've said, I've been told that the staff is under the impression that they are returning. Word the other day was that they were prepared to announce last night...that obviously didn't happen. But I can see them (and when I say "them" I mean Conley and Cook) test the waters but decide to come back to Columbus for another year.

WMR
04-12-2007, 07:57 PM
Is Cook a consensus first round pick?

Puffy
04-12-2007, 08:01 PM
The issue with this is Mike Conley. They (whether it's been said publicly or not) are a package deal. If one goes, the other goes and vice versa.

As I've said, I've been told that the staff is under the impression that they are returning. Word the other day was that they were prepared to announce last night...that obviously didn't happen. But I can see them (and when I say "them" I mean Conley and Cook) test the waters but decide to come back to Columbus for another year.

Oh, I agree with you about Conley and Cook - just not Oden.

If Oden comes back he will just announce he's coming back. If he tests the water he's gone. But Conley and Cook, thats a perfectly reasonable guess.

redsfanmia
04-12-2007, 08:11 PM

Why would a #1 overall pick and a top ten pick test the waters of the draft and then go back to college? It doesnt make sense to go back to college for these two.

Razor Shines
04-12-2007, 08:22 PM
I think it would be stupid for Oden to stay. People on this board can't compare their college experience to that of a person like Greg Oden. You may not have traded your college life for a million dollars, but what about 50? You go to college to prepare for your career, there's nothing he could do next year to improve his draft position. Might as well go to the NBA and learn to play against other real big men. This is not a hate Ohio State rant, I like Oden a lot. I've met him, I've watched him play for the last four years (and Conley) Oden should go, I think it's the best decision for him.

I'm not sure about Conley, except that if he goes this year the Pacers might have a shot to draft him which would make me very happy.

traderumor
04-12-2007, 10:30 PM
Oden and Conley both have good heads on their shoulders and don't seem to have any idiots whispering in their ears. Still, it comes down to how high they place millions of dollars in their value system, which, shockingly, isn't the most important thing to lots of people. It really comes down to whether they want to accomplish personal and team goals at the college level. If not, they'll cash in their chips.

gonelong
04-12-2007, 10:34 PM
I think it would be stupid for Oden to stay. People on this board can't compare their college experience to that of a person like Greg Oden. You may not have traded your college life for a million dollars, but what about 50?

I'd take $10M and my college experiences (all 8 years of them!) over $50M and no college experiences without even needing a second to think about it.

But that's just me.

GL

Heath
04-12-2007, 10:38 PM
IMO, I think all three are gone. Just a hunch. If they wanted effect of staying, they would have done something last night at the rally.

Waiting until this weekend kinda tells me something's up.

Oden will be high, Conley will be high, and Cook's going to be screwed. Lighty's the better ball player.

BoxingRed
04-12-2007, 11:34 PM
I'd take $10M and my college experiences (all 8 years of them!) over $50M and no college experiences without even needing a second to think about it.

But that's just me.

GL

Definitely not slighting your experience at all.
I had a fantastic time in college and I think the life of a pro basketball star, with or without $50 million, would beat it hands down. I only wish I could say I speak from experience. I mean really a frat kegger vs. the kind of parties that pro ball players go to? Hmmmmm
And, again, they can always get their education anytime, so don't play that card.

gonelong
04-12-2007, 11:57 PM
Hmmmmm And, again, they can always get their education anytime, so don't play that card.

I've played lots of cards in my day, but I don't think I ever played the educational card! :D Your talking to the owner of a 2.7 GPA in High school and a 2.0 GPA and a sophmore standing after 5 years of college. Me? The defender of education? :laugh:

GL

/ Might be why I wouldn't trade my college years for a few measly millions. :)

bucksfan
04-13-2007, 12:28 AM
It is exciting for me to think about the team with these guys returning next year, but the speculation (and even debate) about their decision is far from meaningful IMO - just like all the recruiting talk that starts to get into what the kids should or should not do. As soon as someone starts saying what's best or what they should so versus what they "hope" the kid will do is when my disinterest starts. Again, I think is exciting to see if they will come back or not, but I'd never presume to understand how an individual will or should weigh all the factors in such a decision.

Razor Shines
04-13-2007, 02:49 AM

But that's just me.

GL

That's fine, I'm sure you would and I probably would say the same thing. But you or I can't compare our college experience to that of a super star college athlete. It's not a true college experience like ours was, or maybe you were a star athlete, I guess I shouldn't speak for you. I played sports in college but it wasn't DI and it wasn't anything like Greg Oden's college experience. That was the main point I was trying to make.

registerthis
04-13-2007, 11:16 AM
And IMO, that is kind of lame.

Sure it is, each team's fans should be chomping at the bit for their best players to leave early.

Johnny Footstool
04-13-2007, 11:22 AM

But that's just me.

GL

For normal of us, college is most personal freedom we'll ever experience.

For athletes, the college experience is probably significantly more restrained, dull, and boring than their lives a pros will be.

LoganBuck
04-13-2007, 02:55 PM
For normal of us, college is most personal freedom we'll ever experience.

For athletes, the college experience is probably significantly more restrained, dull, and boring than their lives a pros will be.

I will agree and disagree. I found college to be exactly what you say, I got married a month after graduation and by the following May I was a father. I wouldn't trade what I have now, for what I had then, but I do look back fondly on the those days.

In Columbus the athletes don't live in the same kind of fish bowl, that they do in other college towns. Columbus is big enough that they can hide. Greg Oden may be the one exception because he size gives him away, but when I was in school, Ken Johnson, another 7 footer, could attend parties and live it up without being hasseled. My neighbor from my apartment complex was a former cross country runner that roomed with him in the towers as freshmen. When he would see him out in public he could live the normal college life. But he is not Greg Oden.

I think all of this is posturing anyway. I really see Conley, Oden, and Cook deciding to enter the draft and not "signing" with an agent, which will be Conley's father. They will then hold teams hostage by picking where they want to play. If a team they don't want to play for picks them, they will just use the threat of going back to Ohio State as leverage to demand a trade. Cook needs to enter but not sign so that the NBA scouts can tell him why he won't get drafted highly. The kid seems to have a high opinion of himself, and nobody has ever told him otherwise.

redsfan30
04-13-2007, 02:58 PM
They will then hold team hostage by picking where they want to play. If a team they don't want to play for picks them, they will just use the threat of going back to Ohio State as leverage to demand a trade.

Can't do that in the NBA draft, unlike MLB. In basketball, once you're in and drafted..you're in.

bucksfan2
04-13-2007, 03:17 PM
Can't do that in the NBA draft, unlike MLB. In basketball, once you're in and drafted..you're in.

Randloph Morris?????

dabvu2498
04-13-2007, 03:24 PM

You can sign and then be traded immediately (with the terms of the contract being negotiated by the team traded to).

dabvu2498
04-13-2007, 03:28 PM
Randloph Morris?????

He wasn't drafted.

By the way, he really gave the Knicks that much-needed final push they needed to make the playoffs, didn't he?

LoganBuck
04-13-2007, 03:34 PM

They can before they are picked. I should have said that, you are right once they are picked the ship has sailed. They will have a good idea in the days leading up to the draft.

redsfan30
04-13-2007, 03:34 PM
You can sign and then be traded immediately (with the terms of the contract being negotiated by the team traded to).

Yes, but you can't threaten to go back to college if you don't like where you're at.

dabvu2498
04-13-2007, 03:38 PM
Yes, but you can't threaten to go back to college if you don't like where you're at.

Ah... I see. I misunderstood.

They have up until 1 week before the draft to pull their names back (assuming the haven't signed with an agent).

Johnny Footstool
04-13-2007, 04:52 PM
I will agree and disagree. I found college to be exactly what you say, I got married a month after graduation and by the following May I was a father. I wouldn't trade what I have now, for what I had then, but I do look back fondly on the those days.

In Columbus the athletes don't live in the same kind of fish bowl, that they do in other college towns. Columbus is big enough that they can hide. Greg Oden may be the one exception because he size gives him away, but when I was in school, Ken Johnson, another 7 footer, could attend parties and live it up without being hasseled. My neighbor from my apartment complex was a former cross country runner that roomed with him in the towers as freshmen. When he would see him out in public he could live the normal college life. But he is not Greg Oden.

Players probably do have more privacy in college, but they also have to live with a lot of restrictions -- curfew, dorms, grades, etc. In the NBA, they have a lot more freedom, and a ton more cash to spend.

Farney
04-13-2007, 05:13 PM
One of my friends is at Ohio State and has a class with Oden. He told me that earlier in the year Oden went to class every day, but since the national championship game he hasnt been showing up very much. This is not good news, and tends to make me believe he is leaning towards going.

Blimpie
04-13-2007, 09:02 PM
He wasn't drafted.

By the way, he really gave the Knicks that much-needed final push they needed to make the playoffs, didn't he?In Randolph's defense, there isn't a group of players in existence who can overcome that level of coaching savvy.

Heath
04-13-2007, 10:58 PM
Sources tell the Dayton Daily News that there is a 90-95% chance of Oden, Conley, & Cook going pro according to their old AAU coach....

Link is below.

Read First four sentences. (http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/college/osu/2007/04/12/ddn041207osubb.html)

Reds Fanatic
04-14-2007, 01:42 AM
According to Oden's father he is going pro. He also says Conley and Cook are expected to be going pro.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2007/news/story?id=2837151

INDIANAPOLIS -- Ohio State star Greg Oden will enter the NBA draft, his father told The Indianapolis Star in a story on its Web site Friday night.

The 7-foot center is widely considered a possible No. 1 draft pick, and Greg Oden Sr. said he was he was comfortable with his son's decision.

"He's the kind of kid that, even though he'll have a lot of money, he needs to do more than just basketball," Greg Oden Sr. said. "They had an exciting season, but why take the chance on him getting hurt?"

Oden and Buckeyes point guard Mike Conley Jr. led Lawrence North of Indianapolis to three straight Indiana high school basketball titles. As freshmen, they led Ohio State to a No. 1 ranking and the NCAA championship game.

Oden's mother, Zoe, told the Star, "Greg told me he wasn't ready to talk about it just yet."

The elder Oden said Conley and fellow Ohio State freshman Daequan Cook also were expected to put their names in the draft.

The players have until midnight on April 29 to declare whether they intend to make themselves available for the NBA draft.

Mike Conley Sr., the former director of elite athlete services for USA Track and Field, has been certified as an NBA agent and is opening a representation firm. The elder Oden said Conley Sr. would represent his son.

halcyon
04-14-2007, 01:44 AM
According to his Pops, he's gone:

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070413/SPORTS/704140425

Edit: Oops, beat me to it. Here's the IndyStar link if anyone else cares.

Razor Shines
04-14-2007, 02:29 AM
And the Big Ten celebrates.

traderumor
04-14-2007, 09:25 AM
According to his Pops, he's gone:

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070413/SPORTS/704140425

Edit: Oops, beat me to it. Here's the IndyStar link if anyone else cares.

Yea, pops is so involved that he is making conjectures as are any of the rest of us. He showed no evidence of knowing anything more than a fan knows.

Heath
04-14-2007, 10:16 AM
And the Big Ten celebrates.

Not so fast my friend.

OSU's got a 7-3 guy coming in, plus 2 more centers.

Jamar Butler is a senior and he can go back to his normal point spot. Hunter and Lighty have some time under their belts.

The question will be who can take Ron Lewis' place.

The factor I see, is that everyone in the Big Ten should be improved. Indiana is getting Eric Gordon. Michigan is bringing in a coach who can actually coach. Purdue is improved. Michigan State is a year older. Iowa's got a new coach. Wisconsin does it every year. One of these days, Bill Carmody's gonna get 5-8 guys who can run a Princeton offense and give people fits at Northwestern.

Should be fun.

redsfan30
04-14-2007, 10:28 AM
I don't think his dad is the best source. He hasn't been present through anything all year long...this is really the first time we've heard from him.

They haven't even had the meeting that was scheduled for this weekend yet.

While they may go, I'm still holding out hope.

max venable
04-14-2007, 10:35 AM
I honestly expect Oden, Conley, and Cook to go. It'll be a bummer if they all do but the good news is, the Buckeyes are here today. They've got ridiculous recruting classes coming in each of the next 2 years.

But man, could you imagine if they all stayed one more year? Who would beat them? Honestly, with the dudes they have coming in...who would beat them?

Razor Shines
04-14-2007, 10:50 AM
Not so fast my friend.

That may be, but imagine how much worse it would be if they keep Oden, Conley and Cook.

Jamar Butler is a senior and he can go back to his normal point spot. Hunter and Lighty have some time under their belts.

The factor I see, is that everyone in the Big Ten should be improved. Indiana is getting Eric Gordon. Michigan is bringing in a coach who can actually coach. Purdue is improved. Michigan State is a year older. Iowa's got a new coach. Wisconsin does it every year. One of these days, Bill Carmody's gonna get 5-8 guys who can run a Princeton offense and give people fits at Northwestern.

Should be fun.
Very much looking forward for Eric Gordon to arrive, even though most likely we'll only get him for 1 maybe 2 years.

Puffy
04-14-2007, 10:55 AM
I honestly expect Oden, Conley, and Cook to go. It'll be a bummer if they all do but the good news is, the Buckeyes are here today. They've got ridiculous recruting classes coming in each of the next 2 years.

But man, could you imagine if they all stayed one more year? Who would beat them? Honestly, with the dudes they have coming in...who would beat them?

North Carolina. Honestly. North Carolina.

redsfan30
04-14-2007, 11:22 AM
I just talked to my buddy who has an in on the coaching staff and according to him the staff has heard the reports but they are still under the same impression they were earlier this week and have heard nothing from Greg himself to make them think otherwise.

That being said though, it's probably just coach talk and them not wanting to give up hope. I'm still holding out hope, but I'm not nearly as optimistic.

max venable
04-14-2007, 11:34 AM
North Carolina. Honestly. North Carolina.

Entirely possible. But who's Hansbrough gonna guard when Oden and Koufos are both in the game and Oden is in the post and Koufos moves from the post to the perimeter with the ability to knock down 3's? Just sayin'.

Boss-Hog
04-14-2007, 11:41 AM
That's true to some extent in that once you're drafted by a team, they own your professional rights. However, provided you haven't signed an agent and you have NCAA eligibility left, you can return to college after being drafted. Voshon Lenard did it.

redsfan30
04-14-2007, 11:46 AM
That's true to some extent in that once you're drafted by a team, they own your professional rights. However, provided you haven't signed an agent and you have NCAA eligibility left, you can return to college after being drafted. Voshon Lenard did it.

True. Hadn't thought of that.

Puffy
04-14-2007, 01:35 PM
Entirely possible. But who's Hansbrough gonna guard when Oden and Koufos are both in the game and Oden is in the post and Koufos moves from the post to the perimeter with the ability to knock down 3's? Just sayin'.

Yeah, and thats why the they play the games.

The difference is as a North Carolina fan I'm not spouting off about how the Tarheels would be unbeatable next year if Brandan Wright comes back.

The fact is UNC is ever bit as talented as OSU if Oden, et al comes back. Thats why they would still play the season even if Oden does come back even though alot of you OSU fans think they should just cancel the season and give the trophy to tOSU.

fearofpopvol1
04-14-2007, 02:47 PM
Looks like he's going Pro...

Spring~Fields
04-14-2007, 04:37 PM
I am hoping that he goes pro.

I think that Matta will come up with a decent team regardless.

WVRed
04-14-2007, 04:43 PM
Not so fast my friend.

Should be fun.

When did Ohio St land a 7'3 center? I'm assuming you are talking about Kofous, and he is 7'0. He can shoot from deep though.

To add to your coaching list, Tubby Smith will have Minnesota contending in the Big Ten in the next two years. While he was not my favorite coach at Kentucky, I think his style of play will fit well within the Big Ten and he will be more successful.

LoganBuck
04-14-2007, 05:07 PM
When did Ohio St land a 7'3 center? I'm assuming you are talking about Kofous, and he is 7'0. He can shoot from deep though.

To add to your coaching list, Tubby Smith will have Minnesota contending in the Big Ten in the next two years. While he was not my favorite coach at Kentucky, I think his style of play will fit well within the Big Ten and he will be more successful.

Koufous measurements have a wide range, but the scout datebase measurements were taken a year and half ago, newer measurements have him at 7'2". I don't think it really matters, at that point anyway, once you cross 7' I am pretty sure you are considered tall.

OldRightHander
04-14-2007, 05:54 PM
once you cross 7' I am pretty sure you are considered tall.

From where I stand, they're all tall.

max venable
04-14-2007, 06:16 PM
Yeah, and thats why the they play the games.

The difference is as a North Carolina fan I'm not spouting off about how the Tarheels would be unbeatable next year if Brandan Wright comes back.

The fact is UNC is ever bit as talented as OSU if Oden, et al comes back. Thats why they would still play the season even if Oden does come back even though alot of you OSU fans think they should just cancel the season and give the trophy to tOSU.

Oh, sorry, did I spout off? I think I merely asked the question: Who's going to beat them?

Couple of things I'd like to point out:

1. Said said that UNC could possibly beat them.

2. I don't believe UNC is on their schedule...so it might be difficult for the 'heels to beat the Bucks.

So I'll ask it again...who's going to beat them if G.O. returns?

Keep in mind...I never did, nor am I now making a claim that they would go unbeaten. I just asked a question. Geesh.

traderumor
04-14-2007, 07:38 PM
Looks like he's going Pro...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2007/news/story?id=2837151This is the same report from his dad that was posted early. He has the same shot I do of being right--50/50.

Mutaman
04-14-2007, 08:01 PM
So I'll ask it again...who's going to beat them if G.O. returns?.

Probably Florida since they seem to beat OSU at everything.

max venable
04-14-2007, 08:34 PM
Probably Florida since they seem to beat OSU at everything.

we know this much: probably NOT Wisconsin. OSU seems to beat them at everything. :)

Chip R
04-14-2007, 09:27 PM
This is the same report from his dad that was posted early. He has the same shot I do of being right--50/50.

Denial isn't just a river in Egypt.

Redsfaithful
04-14-2007, 11:53 PM
http://www.dispatch.com/dispatch/content/sports/stories/2007/04/14/odenbb0414.html

Mike Conley Sr. said today that he is "100 percent confident" that Greg Oden, Mike Conley Jr. and Daequan Cook have not decided whether to leave Ohio State for the NBA, but he indicated that all three freshmen could at least enter the draft to give themselves more time to assess their status.

"To me, the decision at this point is not necessarily 'Do I want to go pro' as much as 'Do I want to put my name in and buy myself some more time to decide?' " said Conley Sr., the father of Mike Jr. and the would-be agent for all three players should they decide to stay in the draft.

College underclassmen have until April 29 to enter the draft and until June 18 to withdraw. The draft is June 28.

The Indianapolis Star reported today that Oden's father, Greg Sr., said his son would enter the draft, in which he is the presumptive No.1 pick. The story did not say, however, whether Greg Sr., who lives in Buffalo, was told that by his son or how else he came by the information.

Conley Sr. questioned the veracity of the comment.

"Greg's dad truly believes Greg Oden needs to go pro; that's a fact. Greg has not talked to (his mother) Zoe about what he wants to do; that's a fact," Conley Sr. said.

"If somebody quotes Greg as saying something ... that's fine. But I don't believe he's done that."

I think Oden is gone more than likely, but I also don't think his dad knows what he's talking about.

Oden's mom is saying he hasn't decided:

http://www.10tv.com/?sec=&story=sites/10tv/content/pool/200704/2011729974.html

Earlier reports that Greg Oden has decided to enter the NBA draft are false, his mother told 10TV on Saturday.

The Indianapolis Star reported this weekend that Oden's father, Greg Oden, Sr., said his son was entering the draft.

"I talked to Greg and he told me that he had not made up his mind and that he has not talked to anyone about his decision," Greg's mother told 10TV's Dom Tiberi. She also said she talked to greg's dad and she said he told her he did not say that and that he did not use those words. Oden's father lives in Buffalo, New York his mother lives in Indianpolis.

Mike Conley's father reiterated that statement.

"These are the facts, Greg has not talked to his mom about this yet," Mike Conley, Sr. told 10TV. "I am scheduled to talk to Greg this weekend about it."

Conley also told 10TV that Ohio State basketball coach Thad Matta is scheduled, "to talk to Greg and the boys about it at the top of next week, and after that the boys are going to make a decision about what route they are going to go."

DTCromer
04-15-2007, 12:37 AM
Yea, pops is so involved that he is making conjectures as are any of the rest of us. He showed no evidence of knowing anything more than a fan knows.

You are correct. Greg and his dad aren't very close. In fact, I think his dad lives in NY and he's only visited him a few times. His dad just wasn't a very good father during his life. His mom is the one and only parent that has been his life. When I first heard this news report as to what his dad said, I thought it was total bullcrap as well. We shall see though.

Reds Fanatic
04-15-2007, 11:58 AM

Is Greg Oden leaving Ohio State for the NBA?

Oden's father told a newspaper the 7-footer is turning pro, while the man who hopes to be Oden's agent, Mike Conley Sr., said Saturday night the decision hasn't been made.

"No. Definitely not. Not to say he's not going to decide that -- but, 100 percent, as of this moment, he hasn't decided," Conley, father of Oden's high school and college teammate, Mike Conley Jr., told The Associated Press.

"I talk to his mother every day, and I talk to [Ohio State coach] Thad Matta every day, and if Thad Matta and his mother and I don't know, then how can anyone else know?"

Greg Oden Sr. told The Indianapolis Star in a story published Saturday that his son will enter the NBA draft after leading Ohio State to the NCAA title game as a freshman. "They had an exciting season, but why take the chance on him getting hurt?" Oden Sr. said.

Conley Sr. spoke after a party celebrating Chicago's selection over Los Angeles as the U.S. candidate for the 2016 Summer Olympics. The 1992 Olympic gold medalist in the triple jump, he was part of Chicago's presentation to the U.S. Olympic Committee.

"The process for Greg Oden is, he's going to talk to his mom today, he's going to talk to me tomorrow, and he's going to talk to Thad Matta on Monday," Conley Sr. said. "And after that, he's going to decide what he's going to do and when he's going to report it."

College underclassmen have until midnight on April 29 to declare whether they intend to make themselves available for the NBA draft.

Conley Sr. has been certified as an NBA agent. Oden Sr. told the Star that the former track star would represent his son.

"First, he's going to decide whether to come out, and then he's going to decide who'll represent him," the elder Conley said. "I hope I have a good shot at it. I don't want to be presumptuous."

As for his son, Ohio State guard Mike, Conley Sr. said he expects a decision by the end of next week about whether he'll head to the NBA.

"I don't know what he's going to decide," he said. "It's a tougher decision for him than it is for Greg Oden, because in his mind, he was going back to school next year, 100 percent, before the Final Four."

MaineRed
04-15-2007, 12:13 PM
"First, he's going to decide whether to come out, and then he's going to decide who'll represent him," the elder Conley said. "I hope I have a good shot at it. I don't want to be presumptuous."

It would seem to me, even given their relationship that the NCAA require Conley Sr. to stay away from Oden.
Oden has an agent advising him. The fact that he is Mike Conley's dad doesn't change this.

redsfan30
04-15-2007, 12:30 PM
I don't believe that Conley, Sr. is an official agent yet.

With Ohio State's recent past, I'm sure they've covered all the bases as far as that situation goes.

MaineRed
04-15-2007, 12:52 PM
Conley Sr. has been certified as an NBA agent. Oden Sr. told the Star that the former track star would represent his son.

Seems official enough to me.

LoganBuck
04-15-2007, 04:45 PM
Their relationship falls under that preexisting relationship clause. Because they are so closely linked and have been for years, they are different then other agent/client relationships. I am not saying I don't find it a tad icky, just the facts.

Hoosier Red
04-16-2007, 01:32 PM
I think they should all be ineligible due to speaking with an agent.
;)

redsfan30
04-16-2007, 03:11 PM
Can't copy and paste because of premium info rules, but according to Kyle Lamb over at Scout, the meeting between the three and Mike Conley, Sr. was very informative for all three kids and opened their eyes to alot of things about the NBA that they did not realize. Kyle says to expect a decision sometime this week.

I'm sorry for the original post if it got people's hopes up. I do indeed have a friend with a tie to the coaching staff and I was just passing along what I heard from him....he's very reliable and I was not afraid at all of posting what he shared...it just didn't end up happening that way.

I don't want people to think that I'm one of those "I know a friend of a friend of a friend of a sister-in-laws friend's cousin says Oden's coming back" kind of guy.

Danny Serafini
04-17-2007, 12:06 PM
Looks like we're going to be able to solve one debate brought up here. ACC-Big 10 Challenge schedule is out. Carolina @ OSU, November 28, 9pm.

LoganBuck
04-17-2007, 02:35 PM
If Oden and Conley are gone, UNC will slaughter Ohio State.

redsfanmia
04-17-2007, 08:24 PM

We can only hope.

max venable
04-17-2007, 08:56 PM

I know I'm a homer but I disagree for the following reasons...

Brandan Wright most likely is leaving UNC.

It's a home game for the Bucks.

They're still very talented (with great talent on its way in...Diebler, Koufos, et al).

Could we lose to UNC? Of course we could. Can we beat them? Of course we can.

redsfan30
04-17-2007, 09:01 PM
Even without Oden and Conley, Ohio State will be a very dangerous team.

LoganBuck
04-18-2007, 12:15 AM
I know I'm a homer but I disagree for the following reasons...

Brandan Wright most likely is leaving UNC.

It's a home game for the Bucks.

They're still very talented (with great talent on its way in...Diebler, Koufos, et al).

Could we lose to UNC? Of course we could. Can we beat them? Of course we can.

Brandon Wright is the third most important player for the heels. Ohio State loses its best two, and UNC's recruits are pretty darn sharp as well.

paintmered
04-18-2007, 12:41 AM
I think if Oden leaves, UNC is the top team in the nation as it stands now. And it isn't all that close.

halcyon
04-18-2007, 08:08 AM
Brandon Wright is the third most important player for the heels. Ohio State loses its best two, and UNC's recruits are pretty darn sharp as well.

3rd most important? I don't know about that. There were plenty of times this year, as a freshman, that he was their best player. He's a terrific player.

I'm not sure what you mean about UNC's recruits. If you're talking about their incoming class...it's non-existent. They'll have a good class lined up in '08 but the Heels are taking a pass on '07.

LoganBuck
04-18-2007, 08:49 AM
halcyon, you are right about their recruiting classes. I guess I have been reading to much crap from OSU fans in regards to the Roe kid. I guess I was working from the assumption that he was a 2007 recruit, he is 2008. I value Wright behind Hansborough and the PG, he is the best athlete of the three, I just think he is the third best player.

Technically, if Ohio State loses its top 4 players. Ohio State will not be in North Carolina's league skill wise early on. I wave the OSU banner proudly, I am just a realist.

Puffy
04-18-2007, 12:21 PM
3rd most important? I don't know about that. There were plenty of times this year, as a freshman, that he was their best player. He's a terrific player.

I'm not sure what you mean about UNC's recruits. If you're talking about their incoming class...it's non-existent. They'll have a good class lined up in '08 but the Heels are taking a pass on '07.

Yeah, he is third most important I would say. Hansbrough and Lawson are 1 and 1(a) though, so I guess you could say 2nd most.

Plus, the Heels have Deon Thompson to step in for him and Alex Stepheson to take Deon's minutes. And Deon Thompson is going to be a stud. One of those guys who dominates offensively in college but might not be a force in the pros, but college is his game.

If Oden and Conley and Cook and Wright all leave then UNC beats OSU 80 times out of 100 (in November/December). So OSU can win, but thats all I can say.

Heath
04-18-2007, 03:13 PM
There is not one shred of doubt that UNC will be the #1 team next year. They are loaded.

I hope that Ohio State can keep up with them in November. If everyone leaves OSU and with this game scheduled early in the year, it could get ugly. Whether it is in Columbus, Chapel Hill, Dayton, Ottumwa, Binghamton, Petaluma, etc. is indifferent.

kbrake
04-19-2007, 12:06 AM
I will be honest I havent really read this thread and I'm sure you guys have heard lot of second and third hand stuff but I thought I would throw this out there for ya. Talked to a guy tonight who is a close cousin with one of the starters for Ohio State. He told me his cousin told him that Oden is gone and has been decided for awhile now. He also said that Conley is leaning towards going but the team has been trying to talk him into coming back and at least last week they thought they had a chance to talk him into it. Take it for whats it worth I'm really not all about making up things to post on here but I'm sure you have all heard stories like this before.

Farney
04-19-2007, 12:38 AM
I got a chance to see probably two of Ohio States recruits at the State Championships in Columbus and here's what I thought. Kosta Koufus, the 7'3 forward, didnt impress me too much. His team lost pretty bad to St. X in the state semi's, and Koufus had a terrible game. He looked frusterated and choked under the pressure. Diebler, on the other hand, was very impressive. He scored 48 points in his teams tough state championship loss, but appeared to be clutch and a great leader. He hit all of his free-throws and made a couple huge 3's down the stretch. He is also huge for a guard at 6'8, but he played the position very well. He played great defense, and, I believe, picked up 4 or 5 charges.

redsfan1966
04-19-2007, 05:20 PM
Koufas looked so bad during the semi's that yes the fans referred to him as "Doofus"...I am not looking forward to watching a 7 footer shooting threes...

WMR
04-19-2007, 05:42 PM
Damn a 6'8 guard with that much game in high school? Diebler sounds badass.

dabvu2498
04-19-2007, 05:53 PM
Damn a 6'8 guard with that much game in high school? Diebler sounds badass.

He can really shoot it. It'll be interesting to see if his release is quick enough for the next level.

He's 6'8", pretty skinny, a decent (not good) athlete, plays hard, and his high school team's style of play (his daddy was his coach) really allowed him to shine.

I just don't know what kind of player he'll be able to guard at the next level without adding some bulk.

I'd project him, in his first couple years, to be "instant offense" off the bench, but a bit of a defensive liability.

He'll be a nice player at OSU, if he'll accept his initial role.

paintmered
04-19-2007, 10:10 PM
It's now official per ESPN. Oden to the NBA.

GoReds44
04-19-2007, 10:39 PM
It's now official per ESPN. Oden to the NBA.

:cry:

Unassisted
04-19-2007, 10:52 PM
http://dispatch.com/dispatch/content/sports/stories/2007/04/19/od.html

Source: Oden to leave OSU, enter NBA draft (8:52 p.m.)
Conley, Cook might leave, too
Thursday, April 19, 2007 8:52 PM
By Bob Baptist (bbaptist@dispatch.com)

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

NEAL C. LAURON | DISPATCH
As the No. 1 pick in the NBA draft, Greg Oden would be guaranteed nearly $10 million for his first two seasons in the league and earn tens of millions in endorsements. Greg Oden is leaving Ohio State for the NBA. Freshman teammates Mike Conley Jr. and Daequan Cook could join him.

A source close to the three players said that they will issue a statement through Ohio State today declaring their intent to enter the NBA draft. Two sources said there will be no turning back for Oden, who will sign a representation agreement with an agent and is expected to be the No. 1 choice June 28.

Blimpie
04-19-2007, 11:15 PM
It's now official per ESPN. Oden to the NBA.http://www.donthaveacowman.com/Simpsons/Cards/Tempo/SF-4.jpg

TeamSelig
04-20-2007, 12:06 AM
I never really seriously thought Oden had 1&#37; chance of staying

Spring~Fields
04-20-2007, 04:44 AM
I never really seriously thought Oden had 1&#37; chance of staying

I never did either. I just don't see how a player can reasonably pass up that kind of money for their security and that of their families when an injury could take away the chance at any time.

registerthis
04-20-2007, 10:32 AM
Absolutely the right decision for Oden.

Conley could go either way, although I think he'd probably benefit from another year of college ball.

Daequan Cook is out of his gourd if he thinks he's NBA-ready at this point.

Red Leader
04-20-2007, 10:35 AM

Despite the jabs from Puffy and Chip about my "source," it appears he was correct. :p:

I think this was the right decision for Oden, although I do think he's going to have to further develop his offensive game to be a force at the next level. Not sure about my feelings about Conley. He's a good player, but I think he'll be drafted a lot lower than he should because teams will feel like his game is not "complete" enough. I don't think Cook's ready at all.

MWM
04-20-2007, 10:38 AM
Absolutely the right decision for Oden.

Conley could go either way, although I think he'd probably benefit from another year of college ball.

Daequan Cook is out of his gourd if he thinks he's NBA-ready at this point.

Exactly what I was going to post. Cook is getting bad advice from someone. Either that or he's not listening to the good advice he's getting.

Red Leader
04-20-2007, 10:44 AM
Exactly what I was going to post. Cook is getting bad advice from someone. Either that or he's not listening to the good advice he's getting.

Cook and Conley, to my knowledge are going to enter the draft without an agent, so it is possible that they could return to OSU. Maybe that's Cook's plan, to guage where he'd go and if he doesn't like it, come back. I hope that's the case because I don't see him making it if he goes through with turning pro.

JaxRed
04-20-2007, 11:26 AM
I hear the endorsements are AARP and Viagra

max venable
04-20-2007, 03:58 PM
I think Conley is doing exactly the right thing...he can see where he'd go in the draft and return if he chooses to. But IMO, his stock is never going to be higher than it is right now. espn.com has him going anywhere from 4th overall to 11th. That's amazing considering he wasn't even on the NBA radar two months ago.

Here's the thing: his stock is never going to be higher. If he comes back for another year is going to move higher than that 4 to 11 range? I don't see how he could. If I was him, I'd be doing exactly what he's doing right now.

Cook, from what I hear, is not a student: doesn't like school...and wants to get paid right away. I think he's willing to settle for $1 million instead of the $10 million he could get if he stayed another year or two. That's just my take.

If I'm Oden, I'm going. Every year you stay in college is just one more year you're not going to get paid. NBA careers are relatively short. Make your money while you're young.

Puffy
04-20-2007, 04:29 PM
Despite the jabs from Puffy and Chip about my "source," it appears he was correct. :p:

I think this was the right decision for Oden, although I do think he's going to have to further develop his offensive game to be a force at the next level. Not sure about my feelings about Conley. He's a good player, but I think he'll be drafted a lot lower than he should because teams will feel like his game is not "complete" enough. I don't think Cook's ready at all.

Yeah, what about me and the people who jumped down my throat and posted articles when i stated that IMO Odean was a definite one and done.

I bet those people don't apologize.....

Red Leader
04-20-2007, 04:34 PM
Yeah, what about me and the people who jumped down my throat and posted articles when i stated that IMO Odean was a definite one and done.

It's a thankless world, my friend... :D

Mutaman
04-20-2007, 05:24 PM
Gee thats bad news, Buckeye fans. Now get that first pingpong ball you Milwaukee Bucks.

Spring~Fields
04-20-2007, 05:54 PM
Gee thats bad news, Buckeye fans. Now get that first pingpong ball you Milwaukee Bucks.

I think that Mata can do better. ;) I just wish the rest of the Big Ten would bring some respectability to the playing surfaces. They cheapen Ohio States victories.

Mutaman
04-20-2007, 08:05 PM
I think that Mata can do better. ;) I just wish the rest of the Big Ten would bring some respectability to the playing surfaces. They cheapen Ohio States victories.

Well, they have a disadvantage: they have to attend class.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/04/17/old.school0423/

http://premium.si.cnn.com/pr/subs2/siexclusive/2007/pr/subs/siexclusive/01/02/tucker0108/index.html

GAC
04-20-2007, 08:20 PM
Cook and Conley, to my knowledge are going to enter the draft without an agent, so it is possible that they could return to OSU. Maybe that's Cook's plan, to guage where he'd go and if he doesn't like it, come back. I hope that's the case because I don't see him making it if he goes through with turning pro.

Conley's Dad just registered as an agent. Possibly to represent his son at some point.

GAC
04-20-2007, 08:25 PM
Well, they have a disadvantage: they have to attend class.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/04/17/old.school0423/

http://premium.si.cnn.com/pr/subs2/siexclusive/2007/pr/subs/siexclusive/01/02/tucker0108/index.html

Man do you have a problem. I've never seen anyone sound so jealous and bitter over OSU success. :rolleyes:

GAC
04-20-2007, 08:28 PM

People jumped down your throat? All I ever said was that I HOPE, and think, he should stay another year for the experience/maturity. I really don't think he had that great of a year. He certainly wasn't 1st team AA IMHO. At least hasn't reached his full potential. But I wish him the best of luck in the NBA. I'll never see him again because I don't watch the NBA. :lol:

Spring~Fields
04-20-2007, 11:43 PM
Conley's Dad just registered as an agent. Possibly to represent his son at some point.

Does this make anyone else nervous, assuming this guy is a rookie agent?
I would not want any rookies representing me as an agent dad or not.

Mutaman
04-20-2007, 11:54 PM
Man do you have a problem. I've never seen anyone sound so jealous and bitter over OSU success. :rolleyes:

Just think how jealous and bitter I'd be if you didn't keep getting embarrassed by Florida.

Cedric
04-21-2007, 12:02 AM
Just think how jealous and bitter I'd be if you didn't keep getting embarrassed by Florida.

You? Is that you John Stocco?

George Anderson
04-21-2007, 12:06 AM
Does this make anyone else nervous, assuming this guy is a rookie agent?
I would not want any rookies representing me as an agent dad or not.

The only reason I could see Conley Sr. wanting to represent his son is to save money by not having to hire an agent. Unfortunately the Conley's dont realize that by hiring an agent he will negotiate a much better contract than Conley Sr. would which will obviously mean more money but also ultimately pay the agents fees.

You gotta spend money to make money!!!!

rotnoid
04-21-2007, 12:30 AM
The only reason I could see Conley Sr. wanting to represent his son is to save money by not having to hire an agent. Unfortunately the Conley's dont realize that by hiring an agent he will negotiate a much better contract than Conley Sr. would which will obviously mean more money but also ultimately pay the agents fees.

That might be true for rookies, but I've heard that Barkley used to represent himself. The Rockets GM was on Rome the other day talking about how hard it is to make a case against a player to the player instead of an agent. It could sometimes be seen as an advantage.

GAC
04-21-2007, 07:01 AM

The loss to Florida in the NCAA BB game wasn't an embarrassment. How can it be an embarrassment when the two top teams in the nation square off, and the one is the defending champion? The boys from OSU fought hard. Most experts felt they wouldn't even get that far in the tourney. Yet they did. It's been over 40 years since an OSU BB team was in a NCAA championship game. I'm proud of what our boys accomplished.

MaineRed
04-21-2007, 08:40 AM

NBA rookies get 3 year contracts with a 4th year team option based on a salary scale determined by draft order. Neither Oden nor Conley will be sitting down at the bargaining table until they are at least 3 years into their careers. Look at Lebron. He didn't sign some monster deal when he was drafted, he did it a few years in. This isn't the NFL where rookies hold out or baseball where guys just go back to school.

Here is the NBA's scale for 2005-2006. The overall first pick is guaranteed about 12 million. The 20th pick about 3 million.

For Mike Junior it is about where he will be picked, not who is negotiating his contract.

LoganBuck
04-21-2007, 08:46 AM
Muta, grow up. Why the venom? You have stated your case been refuted, and still keep coming. No one ever said you have to like Ohio State, but why keep starting arguements? Does it make you happy? Be happy that you got to see a great team in the BigTen and that a great player came through the conference. Or keep worrying about his class schedule, because we all know that if he really refined his studies, he could have been the next great nuclear physicist.

Cedric
04-21-2007, 12:02 PM
Muta, grow up. Why the venom? You have stated your case been refuted, and still keep coming. No one ever said you have to like Ohio State, but why keep starting arguements? Does it make you happy? Be happy that you got to see a great team in the BigTen and that a great player came through the conference. Or keep worrying about his class schedule, because we all know that if he really refined his studies, he could have been the next great nuclear physicist.

Be careful. A certain few Big Ten rival fans have been using this baiting technique about Ohio State for awhile on these boards. You responding harshly might not go over well.

Spring~Fields
04-21-2007, 12:23 PM
The loss to Florida in the NCAA BB game wasn't an embarrassment. How can it be an embarrassment when the two top teams in the nation square off, and the one is the defending champion?

I wish that I could be so embarrassed, to be second best at something in the entire country. Only one other better in the entire country, I wish.

In the meantime :help: :help: :help:

Spring~Fields
04-21-2007, 12:28 PM
NBA rookies get 3 year contracts with a 4th year team option based on a salary scale determined by draft order. Neither Oden nor Conley will be sitting down at the bargaining table until they are at least 3 years into their careers. Look at Lebron. He didn't sign some monster deal when he was drafted, he did it a few years in. This isn't the NFL where rookies hold out or baseball where guys just go back to school.

Here is the NBA's scale for 2005-2006. The overall first pick is guaranteed about 12 million. The 20th pick about 3 million.

For Mike Junior it is about where he will be picked, not who is negotiating his contract.

Oh, ok, thank you for educating me on the draft and the salary scale, I just did not know. So what would be the advantages or disadvantages to having or not having an agent for a rookie?

Puffy
04-22-2007, 05:08 PM
People jumped down your throat? All I ever said was that I HOPE, and think, he should stay another year for the experience/maturity. I really don't think he had that great of a year. He certainly wasn't 1st team AA IMHO. At least hasn't reached his full potential. But I wish him the best of luck in the NBA. I'll never see him again because I don't watch the NBA. :lol:

Wasn't talking about you. Not everything is about you, GAC

Puffy
04-22-2007, 05:11 PM
Oh, ok, thank you for educating me on the draft and the salary scale, I just did not know. So what would be the advantages or disadvantages to having or not having an agent for a rookie?

Endorsements.

Plus, its not a true sliding scale. The first pick still sets the bar

Unassisted
04-23-2007, 11:30 PM
Article on the Dispatch site says that the Buckeyes' Jamar Butler is now considering declaring for the draft. The cupboard is getting bare in Columbus.

bucksfan
04-23-2007, 11:39 PM
Article on the Dispatch site says that the Buckeyes' Jamar Butler is now considering declaring for the draft. The cupboard is getting bare in Columbus.

Wow, that is really hard to believe. I really have a hard time seeing his game translate over to the NBA right now. But I have been wrong before. It is difficult to tell anyone not to go get a big paycheck, as long as that paycheck will be there. I just don't see it for Jamar. I would have loved to have all the guys back one last time. But best of luck to them all - 'tis the nature of college hoops these days.

bucksfan
04-23-2007, 11:44 PM
Also meant to add that I was not doubting you, UA - just saying it was hard to picture Jamar's game in the NBA right now. I'll bet he is just testing the waters and will be back. Hard to find fault with that strategy I guess.

Unassisted
04-24-2007, 12:51 AM
Also meant to add that I was not doubting you, UA - just saying it was hard to picture Jamar's game in the NBA right now. I'll bet he is just testing the waters and will be back. Hard to find fault with that strategy I guess.

I understand. I'm sure it'll be in tomorrow's paper. Here's what they have on it now.

http://dispatch.com/dispatch/content/sports/stories/2007/04/23/butler.html

Butler contemplates entering NBA draft, source says (9:07 p.m.) (http://dispatch.com/dispatch/content/sports/stories/2007/04/23/butler.html)

Guard Jamar Butler, the only starter expected to return to the Ohio State men's basketball team next season, is pondering whether to join three teammates and enter the NBA draft before the entry deadline Sunday, a source confirmed tonight.

Butler's father, Melton, did not confirm or deny the rumor when contacted today at home in Lima, Ohio. "I don't even want to discuss that," he said.

Maybe he figures that the team's fortunes are going to drop so far that he won't even get a sniff from the NBA scouts if he waits another year?

paintmered
04-24-2007, 01:57 AM
It's really quite common for underclassmen to declare for the NBA, not hire an agent, withdraw just before the draft and return to college ball.

Eric Hicks (I think it was him) and James White did this after their junior year so they could be assessed by the pro scouts and play against high quality players. Both withdrew from the draft just before the selection date and played their senior year.

I wouldn't be surprised to see at least two of the OSU guys do the same.

Unassisted
04-27-2007, 01:21 PM
Jamar Butler has changed his mind about entering the draft, according to an article in the Dispatch which quotes his dad.