PDA

View Full Version : Would you like to see healthier food at GABP?

MrsHammer
04-10-2007, 04:31 PM
This article pertains to Dodger Stadium, but it could apply to any ballpark I suppose. It's been a little while since I've been to Great American Ballpark, but I don't recall seeing many healthy food options. What types of 'healthy' food would you like to see offered at the ballpark? Would you pay a premium for it? I've been to other ballparks that offer options such as fruit plates, salads, deli sandwiches, and even sushi. It seems like the prices are even more inflated than normal ballpark fare though.

Doggone-good ballpark fare
Stadium hoping to hit a home run with the addition of healthier snack options
By Natalie Haughton, Daily News Food Editor
Article Last Updated: 04/10/2007 12:11:13 AM PDT

You don't expect to eat healthy when you go to the ballpark. Beer, peanuts, hot dogs and Cracker Jack are the classic fare. Not anymore at Dodger Stadium. This year, seven Healthy Plate items have been added to the menu available on carts on the field and loge levels behind home plate.
Among the selections are a grilled vegetable wrap, spinach and strawberry salad, hummus with vegetable dippers, fruit salad, an oven-roasted turkey wrap, a turkey hot dog and even a veggie dog.

"Other Levy ballparks (where Levy Restaurants has the food contracts, such as Wrigley Field and Cominsky Park) don't do this," said Joseph Martin, executive chef, Dodger Stadium. "We're the first in the country."

"The Healthy Plate food is really all about options and choices and lifestyles, said Gilbert Verdugo, Southern California regional executive chef, Levy Restaurants. "We don't see it as a trend, we see this kind of food as a lifestyle the way people live now.
"There are times when you want a healthy choice clean, fresh, great textures and flavors and something out of the ordinary," he added, noting that his favorite among the new items is the spinach-strawberry salad.

"I deal with a lot of celebrities who want the choice of a hot dog, and then again, when they come with their wives, want to eat healthy. With friends, they toss caution to the wind, have fun and eat the dogs and other foods," Verdugo continued. Among those latter options are steak and chicken sandwiches, nachos, andouille sausage on a bun, corn dogs, Philly cheesesteak sandwiches, beer, and soda, along with items from California Pizza Kitchen, Carl's Jr. and Panda Express.

"The healthy-food idea was already in the works when I came on board (from Staples Center) last December," said Martin. It was conceived by David Meyers, the director of operations at Dodger Stadium, from feedback from guests and fans who desired healthy options.

But it was Martin who was charged with coming up with the specific ideas and recipes.

Before finalizing the selections, Martin and his colleagues had several taste tests. The items are being made fresh on game days in the Stadium Club (a membership-only restaurant at the ballpark offering upscale seasonal and local food creations) kitchen.

Although somewhat controversial over the years, the Dodger Dog (introduced April, 10, 1962, in the inaugural season) made by Farmer John is now grilled.

On opening day, Martin arrived at at the stadium at 4 a.m. to start grilling dogs.

"For Monday's opening game, we grilled 35,000 hot dogs," Martin said. (Normally just over 20,000 dogs are sold per game.)

If you're not looking for healthy choices, there's plenty more to tempt you during a game. If you watch the action from a Dodger Stadium suite, you'll have access to the awesome dessert cart laden with 24 sinfully rich, decadent items, ranging from taffy apples dipped in caramel with M&M's or chopped peanuts on the outside, chocolate chip, peanut butter, macadamia and white chocolate cookies, Snickers pie, six-layer carrot cake, triple-chocolate cheesecake, lemon bars, s'mores bars and much more.

---
Natalie Haughton, (818) 713-3692
natalie.haughton@dailynews.com

Degenerate39
04-10-2007, 04:31 PM
I'm hardly there so I don't care.

Always Red
04-10-2007, 04:40 PM
nah, just a better variety of good beer, not that lite pilsner swill... I'd smoke a cigar along with the beer, if they let me.

I'll eat healthy at home!

Reds Freak
04-10-2007, 04:41 PM
I try to always eat healthy but I just can't see myself going to a ball game and getting a grilled vegetable wrap and a fruit salad. I don't think that would go over well. I think it was Humphrey Bogart who said, "A hot dog at the ball game sure beats a steak at the Ritz." Even though I don't buy concessions anymore (unless it's $1 hot dog night) give me a hot dog any day of the week.

BRM
04-10-2007, 04:42 PM
I certainly don't go to the ballpark thinking about eating healthy. If others would prefer healthier choices, more power to them.

EddieMilner
04-10-2007, 04:42 PM
i would like to see something healthier. I was out in California last week and saw a game at Petco and a game at Edison Field. They had a few healthy options (Boca Burgers and stuff like that) and while I still went for the nachos (that bright yellow cheese would live through nuclear holocaust) I did appreciate the opportunity to eat healthy.

Dracodave
04-10-2007, 04:43 PM
When you go to the ballpark, health is the last thing on your mind. Having fun is first..To me thats the idea of going to the ballpark, its an excuse for decadence.

redsfanmia
04-10-2007, 04:56 PM
You can bring food into GABP so if you want healthier choices then bring those along with you.

BRM
04-10-2007, 04:57 PM
When you go to the ballpark, health is the last thing on your mind. Having fun is first..To me thats the idea of going to the ballpark, its an excuse for decadance.

I can agree with that. :thumbup:

westofyou
04-10-2007, 05:01 PM
Healthy is not what I'd go after at the Ball Park, better quality though is always an option.

Redsland
04-10-2007, 05:04 PM
You mean, healthier than deep-fried Twinkies and fried baloney sandwiches? (http://www.cincinnati.com/reds/gabp/gabpfood.html)

:)

OesterPoster
04-10-2007, 05:06 PM
A trip to the ballpark wouldn't be the same without a roll of Tums in my pocket. :D

BRM
04-10-2007, 05:08 PM
You mean, healthier than deep-friend Twinkies and fried baloney sandwiches? (http://www.cincinnati.com/reds/gabp/gabpfood.html)

You can get fried baloney sandwiches at GABP? Sweet!

bucksfan2
04-10-2007, 05:13 PM
Here is what I want. I want the hot dogs wrapped in foil that taste 1000% better than the stuff on the grill. I want to get in line and not wait an entire inning becasue the food workers dont know what they are doing. I want to have a couple of beers and maybe some peanuts. I dont want gourmet hotdogs or cheesburgers or grilled chicken or etc. I want baseball food. Gone is the good food that used to be cheaper. Here is the expensive food that is about as tasty as cardboard.

OSUmed2010
04-10-2007, 05:18 PM
Here is what I want. I want the hot dogs wrapped in foil that taste 1000% better than the stuff on the grill. I want to get in line and not wait an entire inning becasue the food workers dont know what they are doing. I want to have a couple of beers and maybe some peanuts. I dont want gourmet hotdogs or cheesburgers or grilled chicken or etc. I want baseball food. Gone is the good food that used to be cheaper. Here is the expensive food that is about as tasty as cardboard.

All I want is slightly cheaper beer.

Jharb74
04-10-2007, 05:31 PM
I was at Tropicana Field (Devil Rays) a few years ago, and was impressed by their food selection. Healty and otherwise. I guess they have to draw you to games in food, as oppsed to the on field product.

registerthis
04-10-2007, 05:31 PM

It's why I don't drink at ballgames. I'm not going to schill out $20 or whatever it is to drink a few crap beers.

Chip R
04-10-2007, 05:44 PM
GAB seems to have a decent selection of healthy foods. Veggie dogs, grilled chicken, salads, etc. But you have to cater to your clientele. You're going to have a lot of leftover product if you offer more items that are "healthy" in a Midwestern ballpark. And it works the other way around. You aren't going to sell a lot of fried bologna and Twinkies at Dodger Stadium. There may be people here who like sushi but you are going to sell more at the west coast stadiums than you would here or Chicago.

redsfan30
04-10-2007, 05:47 PM
I want the hot dogs wrapped in foil that taste 1000% better than the stuff on the grill.

:beerme:

Degenerate39
04-10-2007, 05:50 PM
You mean, healthier than deep-fried Twinkies and fried baloney sandwiches? (http://www.cincinnati.com/reds/gabp/gabpfood.html)

:explode: I hope there's not really deep-fried Twinkies

KittyDuran
04-10-2007, 05:51 PM
:explode: I hope there's not really deep-fried TwinkiesYep! :)

Degenerate39
04-10-2007, 05:52 PM
Yep! :)

Then in that case I motion that there should be healthier food at GABP!

westofyou
04-10-2007, 05:57 PM
This article pertains to Dodger Stadium, but it could apply to any ballpark I suppose. It's been a little while since I've been to Great American Ballpark, but I don't recall seeing many healthy food options. What types of 'healthy' food would you like to see offered at the ballpark? Would you pay a premium for it? I've been to other ballparks that offer options such as fruit plates, salads, deli sandwiches, and even sushi. It seems like the prices are even more inflated than normal ballpark fare though.

But at least Dodgers owner Frank McCourt is gouging loyal Dodgers fans for parking fees. In two-plus years in L.A., McCourt has raised the parking fee from $7 to $15. McCourt made his millions on parking garages in Boston and recognizes that fans have no choice but to park at Dodger Stadium, as its not serviced by public transportation and is located in a ravine.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/jon_heyman/04/10/scoop.tuesday/1.html

Handofdeath
04-10-2007, 06:01 PM
Then in that case I motion that there should be healthier food at GABP!

Commie.:p:

Johnny Footstool
04-10-2007, 06:08 PM
There's a restaurant in Lawrence, KS called Local Burger that gets all their meat from local farms. They use high-quality, low fat beef and offer a number of healthy(er) options -- bison, turkey, elk. I'd absolutely love for them to set up a stand at the K, where burgers taste like they were cooked a week before you bought them and have the same texture and nutritional value as shoe leather.

Degenerate39
04-10-2007, 06:09 PM
Commie.:p:

Hey hey hey! I'm just look out for rest of the Reds fans! Deep-fried Twinkies are pushing it to far.

Dracodave
04-10-2007, 06:12 PM
Hey hey hey! I'm just look out for rest of the Reds fans! Deep-fried Twinkies are pushing it to far.

I think what he meant by Commie was a direct plug into "He's acting like he's from Rage Against the Machine.." Darn you Zack de la Rocha!

Ltlabner
04-10-2007, 06:13 PM
Let me think....

NO.

MartyFan
04-10-2007, 06:13 PM
I love Hummus so that would be a hit with me...also I would like a better variety of beers...imported darks...the thick kind! WOOT!

Aside from having an occasional beer, yeah I would like there to be healthier foods at the park...It starts in the east or the west and makes its way to Ohio sometime...it always does.

Be ready! :)

Sea Ray
04-10-2007, 06:32 PM
Healthy is not what I'd go after at the Ball Park, better quality though is always an option.

Yeah what GABP needs is better tasting options. Their quality of food is pretty poor. I don't know what's in their hamburgers but it'd never sell at McDonalds.

creek14
04-10-2007, 06:46 PM
I'd fast for a #1 starter.

2001MUgrad
04-10-2007, 06:50 PM
Don't eat at the game. You'll safe a lot of money that way too.

bengalsown
04-10-2007, 07:28 PM
Eat healthy at a ball game?

That's absurd.

Dracodave
04-10-2007, 07:36 PM
I'd fast for a #1 starter.

I'd actually enjoy paying 7$ for a Fried Boglona sangwhich if he had signed a Zito..

Chip R
04-10-2007, 07:37 PM
I'd actually enjoy paying 7$ for a Fried Boglona sangwhich if he had signed a Zito..

If he'd signed a Zito, it'd cost you $10.

vaticanplum
04-10-2007, 07:39 PM
I eat sushi all the time but I would never eat it at a ballpark. I would just be too wary of the hazards of sushi being prepared outside and sitting in the sun, prepared by people who don't deal with it on a regular basis.

Honestly, I'm probably one of few people to whom vegetables are infinitely more appealing than a hot dog, so I'm the clientele they're after...and I never buy food at the ballpark simply because of the price. Healthier food wouldn't change my mind unless it was cheaper, which it wouldn't be. I love the variety of food at Comiskular (which has amazing food) and I appreciate that they provide it, but in the end I just don't think there's too much of a market here. Let 'em eat crap.

Dracodave
04-10-2007, 07:39 PM
If he'd signed a Zito, it'd cost you $10.

Winning more games..Playoffs..$10 is worth that no?

Dracodave
04-10-2007, 07:41 PM
I eat sushi all the time but I would never eat it at a ballpark. I would just be too wary of the hazards of sushi being prepared outside and sitting in the sun, prepared by people who don't deal with it on a regular basis.

Honestly, I'm probably one of few people to whom vegetables are infinitely more appealing than a hot dog, so I'm the clientele they're after...and I never buy food at the ballpark simply because of the price. Healthier food wouldn't change my mind unless it was cheaper, which it wouldn't be. I love the variety of food at Comiskular (which has amazing food) and I appreciate that they provide it, but in the end I just don't think there's too much of a market here. Let 'em eat crap.

I eat sushi too, and you're right. Paying someone in the hot sun to make me some that has been sitting out all day is begging to get sick...

We can always get the VP "Vegetarian Pizza" night ;)

vaticanplum
04-10-2007, 07:43 PM
We can always get the VP "Vegetarian Pizza" night ;)

Now that would be sweet!

Chip R
04-10-2007, 07:45 PM
Let 'em eat crap.

I thought it was "Let 'em eat cake"? ;)

vaticanplum
04-10-2007, 07:51 PM
I thought it was "Let 'em eat cake"? ;)

That was the reference, Chip :mooner:

Chip R
04-10-2007, 07:58 PM
Winning more games..Playoffs..$10 is worth that no?

It may be to you but it may not to others. Besides, there's no guarantee that would even get us into the playoffs. Trading for Jr. didn't. And it's not only fried bologna sandwiches that would go up in price. Beer, other food, merchandise, parking and tickets would all increase dramatically in price. You may very well be willing to pay that much extra but there are lots who won't.

Dracodave
04-10-2007, 08:01 PM
It may be to you but it may not to others. Besides, there's no guarantee that would even get us into the playoffs. Trading for Jr. didn't. And it's not only fried bologna sandwiches that would go up in price. Beer, other food, merchandise, parking and tickets would all increase dramatically in price. You may very well be willing to pay that much extra but there are lots who won't.

Honestly, this debate is rather good. I really dig the conversations some of us can have on here and not stoop to the point of dumb insults.

You have good points, and I really was just speaking for myself. Seeing the Reds win the World Series to me would well be worth that raise in price on most things, but to others what does it mean? The band-wagon riders who only care when the team is winning, and always say "told you so" when they lose.

It's amazing what the average Cincinnati fan doesn't get out of the games, and the average baseball fan in general for that matter.

pedro
04-10-2007, 08:08 PM
I'd like to see GABP.

creek14
04-10-2007, 08:21 PM
They have veggie pizza and veggie hot dogs at the GABP now.

I always get the veggie dog vs the *real* dog. It's yummy.

Handofdeath
04-10-2007, 08:31 PM
I love Hummus so that would be a hit with me...also I would like a better variety of beers...imported darks...the thick kind! WOOT!

Aside from having an occasional beer, yeah I would like there to be healthier foods at the park...It starts in the east or the west and makes its way to Ohio sometime...it always does.

Be ready! :)

Hummus!?! Imported beer!?! Ladies and gentlemen, we are talking about baseball and not watching an MLS game here. Baseball food is hot dogs, nachos, domestic beer, peanuts...I love sushi but as God is my witness I will NEVER eat it at a ballgame. Not because it might not taste good after being in the sun too long but because, by God, it goes against my principles. Let the Dodgers fans do it. I have no problem with eating lobster at a Red Sox game or mexican food at a Rangers game but we must draw the line somewhere. Local food favorites are fine in my book but I will not eat at a ballgame something from outside of the country or something I can grow in my backyard. Seeing a ballgame is entertainment of the purest kind. I am not entertained by eating healthy foods. God bless America.:D

redsrule2500
04-10-2007, 08:51 PM
Honestly, no.

I'm not going to eat it at least. Good old hotdog, peanuts, and soda for me! :cool:

nate
04-10-2007, 08:54 PM

You can get sushi at Anaheim (err, Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim in mid-Orange county 4/5ths of a mile east of the 5 freeway) Stadium...and quite a nice selection of just about anything else you'd want as well. Korean, Mexican, Chinese, etc.

FlightRick
04-10-2007, 08:56 PM
DISCLAIMER: I am a whiskey-swilling, red-meat-eating philistine. At some level, I'm deeply suspicious of anyone who is not.

I don't think there's any institutional "responsibility" to provide healthier food options at the ballpark above and beyond what sells to the masses. To be honest "Let them eat crap" sums it up damned nicely, if you ask me.

You get what you pay for, and you'll keep getting it as long as you pay for it. I think that's part of the reason why there will likely never be a huge, organized move to "healthify" ballpark food offerings. The people who want to eat their vegetables are also probably of the ilk who like to eat -- you know? -- GOOD food. Not just "good for them" food, but GOOD food.

You're not gonna get that served up to you by the Executive Chef of Kiosk #18 at GAPB, who's making $7 an hour. Cretin that I am, I'm deeply suspicious of sushi under all circumstances, but the thought of "Ballpark Sushi" makes me almost pre-emptively vomitous. With all due respect to any well-intentioned, intelligent, highly-trainable young men and women who take GABP jobs just to be close to baseball during the summer, I trust Johnny Minimumwage to struggle with putting the wiener in the bun, but not much further than that.

Now, one or two niche spots in the ballpark where the frail non-meat-eaters can congregate and graze on food prepared by Actual Professionals? I'm all for that if it can make money... but it's a pointless and stupid endeavor to implement on every concourse or on a grand scale. People come to the park expecting to eat badly. And I mean "bad for them" as well as "just plain bad." Hell, I admit to being a philistine and a cretin, and given one pot, two beers, and a hot grill, even I know how to fix up a pack of brats about a zillion times tastier than what you get at the park.

PS: About the "price versus winning" thing? As long as I can get a $5 ticket into the park, am legally allowed to bring my own food to the game, and illegally allowed to get a flask of Adult Beverage into the game, I'm all for gouging people on Ballpark Amenities. As the wise man once said, "It's immoral to let a retard keep his money." I might be paraphrasing, there.....

Dracodave
04-10-2007, 08:57 PM
You can get sushi at Anaheim (err, Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim in mid-Orange county 4/5ths of a mile east of the 5 freeway) Stadium...and quite a nice selection of just about anything else you'd want as well. Korean, Mexican, Chinese, etc.

Los Angelos also has the fan base in those countries, something the Reds..do not.

Handofdeath
04-10-2007, 09:02 PM
DISCLAIMER: I am a whiskey-swilling, red-meat-eating philistine. At some level, I'm deeply suspicious of anyone who is not.

I don't think there's any institutional "responsibility" to provide healthier food options at the ballpark above and beyond what sells to the masses. To be honest "Let them eat crap" sums it up damned nicely, if you ask me.

You get what you pay for, and you'll keep getting it as long as you pay for it. I think that's part of the reason why there will likely never be a huge, organized move to "healthify" ballpark food offerings. The people who want to eat their vegetables are also probably of the ilk who like to eat -- you know? -- GOOD food. Not just "good for them" food, but GOOD food.

You're not gonna get that served up to you by the Executive Chef of Kiosk #18 at GAPB, who's making $7 an hour. Cretin that I am, I'm deeply suspicious of sushi under all circumstances, but the thought of "Ballpark Sushi" makes me almost pre-emptively vomitous. With all due respect to any well-intentioned, intelligent, highly-trainable young men and women who take GABP jobs just to be close to baseball during the summer, I trust Johnny Minimumwage to struggle with putting the wiener in the bun, but not much further than that.

Now, one or two niche spots in the ballpark where the frail non-meat-eaters can congregate and graze on food prepared by Actual Professionals? I'm all for that if it can make money... but it's a pointless and stupid endeavor to implement on every concourse or on a grand scale. People come to the park expecting to eat badly. And I mean "bad for them" as well as "just plain bad." Hell, I admit to being a philistine and a cretin, and given one pot, two beers, and a hot grill, even I know how to fix up a pack of brats about a zillion times tastier than what you get at the park.

PS: About the "price versus winning" thing? As long as I can get a $5 ticket into the park, am legally allowed to bring my own food to the game, and illegally allowed to get a flask of Adult Beverage into the game, I'm all for gouging people on Ballpark Amenities. As the wise man once said, "It's immoral to let a retard keep his money." I might be paraphrasing, there.....

That's beautiful, man.:cool:

REDREAD
04-11-2007, 01:16 PM

I...

Nice post.. You should post more than 10 times per year. :laugh:

bucksfan
04-11-2007, 02:10 PM
Dog, beer, nachos, peanuts, and some cotton candy/ice cream (for my daughter) is all I need.

tsj017
04-11-2007, 02:45 PM

:beerme:

Healthy food at the ballpark? I'm still lamenting the loss of the 25-cent Ibolds!

The ballpark is no place to be thinking about your cholesterol or your calorie intake.

OldRightHander
04-11-2007, 04:22 PM
I want some peanuts, a hot dog or a brat, and a coke. Of course I have to bring the coke in myself, but as long as I can still do that and get the other two items at the park, I'm content. I just want to see good baseball. The food is secondary.

SunDeck
04-11-2007, 05:00 PM
I don't go to ballgames to eat, but if the market research says that healthier foods will sell at the ballpark, then they should go for it. On the rare occasion that I do get something to eat it's either a brat or one of those saltier than hell pretzels. No tofu log with seaweed is going to change my ways.

pedro
04-11-2007, 05:01 PM
Boiled P-Nutz

vaticanplum
04-11-2007, 08:39 PM
The ballpark is no place to be thinking about your cholesterol or your calorie intake.

Ok, I'm not in favor of a healthy food movement at the park, but I think we're going a little far with the stereotypes and ignorant statements. Some people HAVE to worry about their cholesterol and caloric intake no matter where they may be; the risks to their health don't disappear because there's an umpire in close proximity. Making the choice not to eat greasy, fatty foods at the ballpark is one thing and a fine argument to make, but the references to "frail" vegetarians and the shut-up-and-devour-your-meat-because-that-means-you're-having-a-good-time attitude is another.

Matt700wlw
04-11-2007, 08:40 PM
FYI - you are aloud to bring food in, to a degree......

TeamBoone
04-11-2007, 08:45 PM
The GAB already offers chicken, veggie burgers (and hotdogs, I think), and salads. Seems that should be enough. It is, after all, a ballpark... not a restaurant. That said, there are restaurants at the park that offer a much wider variety. If they're full, you can always get your food there "to go" and take it to your seat.

If I don't feel like ballpark food, I eat before I go to the game or take something in.

vaticanplum
04-11-2007, 08:48 PM
FYI - you are aloud to bring food in, to a degree......

Right. Which is one reason I don't think they need to go out of their way with the food there.

Like I said, I don't think an abundance of healthy food -- or of food choices at all, really -- is necessary there. I have been a vegetarian for a long time and I'm quite used to adjusting my eating habits in public places. I recognize that my choices go against the American norm and I don't expect any special concessions to be made for me. I believe I'm still enough in the minority that on a greater scale, it would not make financial sense to institute widespread culinary changes like that at the ballpark. In time this may change.

But people's reasoning is starting to get to me. If you don't think it makes financial sense, fine. If the idea of healthy food offends your all-American sensibilities because of stereotypes, then I think we have a problem. I go to a lot of plays and artsy-fartsy stuff and I wouldn't think it would be worthwhile for them to sell NASCAR memorobilia and pork rinds at intermission. But that's because I don't think they would be big sellers, not because I don't think the big ol' rednecks ruin the atmosphere.

Matt700wlw
04-11-2007, 08:52 PM
They should ban trans-fats though....

Those are bad for you.

:p:

DannyB
04-12-2007, 01:48 AM
I always stopped at McDs before the game anyway:D

RedsMan3203
04-12-2007, 02:06 AM

And... Cheapter H2O

RedEye
04-12-2007, 10:21 AM
I'd like to see them replace the hotdogs with large plates of mashed yeast.

westofyou
04-12-2007, 10:29 AM
I always stopped at McDs before the game anyway:D

You'd be better off eating at the ballpark.

http://sifter.net/gallery2/d/91-2/mcDeath.jpg

SunDeck
04-12-2007, 10:36 AM
I go to a lot of plays and artsy-fartsy stuff and I wouldn't think it would be worthwhile for them to sell NASCAR memorobilia and pork rinds at intermission. But that's because I don't think they would be big sellers, not because I don't think the big ol' rednecks ruin the atmosphere.

If I went to see Pagliacci and there were pork rinds at intermission, I would definitely return my season tickets.

Doro
04-12-2007, 04:16 PM
Its impossible to have healthy food at a ballpark. Even if they had say apples.... they would have to ad a tone of preservatives which defeat the whole purpose. They couldnt buy say 40,000 apples and then throw half out when they go bad. Same thing with McDonalds and Subway.... sure they offer fruit..... but its fruit that is horrible for you...... might as well eat the fries.

Red in Chicago
04-13-2007, 08:38 AM
They have veggie pizza and veggie hot dogs at the GABP now.

I always get the veggie dog vs the *real* dog. It's yummy.

creek,
is the veggie dog something you've had recently? i've tried it on two occasions and didn't have any luck...the first time, they tried to give me a real dog instead of a veggie...i just threw it away and didn't bother complaining...the second time it was so overcooked, it was like shoe leather...

reds1869
04-13-2007, 08:46 AM
Its impossible to have healthy food at a ballpark. Even if they had say apples.... they would have to ad a tone of preservatives which defeat the whole purpose. They couldnt buy say 40,000 apples and then throw half out when they go bad. Same thing with McDonalds and Subway.... sure they offer fruit..... but its fruit that is horrible for you...... might as well eat the fries.

I am on a reduced sodium diet, so I chuckle at Subway's commercials everytime I hear them. At least now they've started adding "see store for sodium content" to the end of their ads.

BTW, I break my diet with a vengencace at GABP and it doesn't harm my blood pressure. It's all in knowing how to moderate oneself.