PDA

View Full Version : Aaron won't attend record breaker

Chip R
04-10-2007, 06:27 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-aaron-bonds&prov=ap&type=lgns

Aaron doesn't plan to celebrate if Bonds breaks record

April 10, 2007

ATLANTA (AP) -- Hank Aaron doesn't plan to be at the ballpark if and when Barry Bonds breaks his home run record.

"Uh-uh. No, no. I'm not going to be around," Aaron was quoted as saying in Tuesday's editions of The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Bonds has 735 homers, 20 short of Aaron's career record. While Aaron has declined most interview requests in recent months, he spoke with Journal-Constitution columnist Terence Moore.

Aaron said he wouldn't attend if Bonds were within reach of the record when the San Francisco Giants play at Atlanta from Aug. 14-16.

"I'd probably fly to West Palm Beach to play golf," Aaron was quoted as saying in Moore's column. "Again, it has nothing to do with anybody, other than I had enough of it. I don't want to be around that sort of thing anymore. I just want to be at peace with myself. I don't want to answer questions. It's going to be a no-win situation for me anyway. If I go, people are going to say, `Well, he went because of this.' If I don't go, they'll say whatever. I'll just let them make their own mind up."

Aaron, who did not return a call from The Associated Press, said baseball commissioner Bud Selig has told him that Bonds has asked several times why Aaron hasn't contacted him as he approaches the record. "I don't talk to anybody, really, and I've never talked to Barry, outside of that commercial we did together a few years ago, and a few other short times," Aaron was quoted as saying. "I'm 72 years old, and I'm not hopping on a plane and flying all the way to San Francisco for anybody."

Cicero
04-10-2007, 06:29 PM
Man I wish everyone in baseball would either walk or plunk his ass for the rest of the season. juice monkey.

Degenerate39
04-10-2007, 06:30 PM
Way to stick it to the man Hank

Dracodave
04-10-2007, 06:32 PM
I think Hank is making the right call. First question he will get asked is "Do you think Bonds did this legally like you?" That puts him on the hot-seat, a situation Hank doesn't need to be in.

Chip R
04-10-2007, 06:33 PM
Man I wish everyone in baseball would either walk or plunk his ass for the rest of the season. ******* juice monkey.

Don't sugarcoat it, tell us how you really feel. ;)

Unassisted
04-10-2007, 06:50 PM
Too bad Babe Ruth isn't with us anymore. I'll bet he would have been happy to show up for that party. ;)

Dracodave
04-10-2007, 06:54 PM
Too bad Babe Ruth isn't with us anymore. I'll bet he would have been happy to show up for that party. ;)

"Babe why are you here?"
"Three things. Women, booze, and hot dogs. ;) "

Spring~Fields
04-10-2007, 07:20 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-aaron-bonds&prov=ap&type=lgns

"Again, it has nothing to do with anybody, other than I had enough of it. I don't want to be around that sort of thing anymore. I just want to be at peace with myself. I don't want to answer questions. It's going to be a no-win situation for me anyway. If I go, people are going to say, `Well, he went because of this.' If I don't go, they'll say whatever. I'll just let them make their own mind up."

He is speaking wisdom, from a wise man.

M2
04-10-2007, 07:33 PM
Good for Hank. He shouldn't have to put up with this mess.

Chip R
04-10-2007, 07:35 PM
Good for Hank. He shouldn't have to put up with this mess.

Yeah. He's also doing this in a way where he doesn't sound like a bitter old man.

Matt700wlw
04-10-2007, 07:36 PM
Way to stick it to the man Hank

Hank IS the man!

Chip R
04-10-2007, 07:37 PM
Hank IS the man!

So he's sticking it to himself? ;)

Dracodave
04-10-2007, 07:40 PM

He got that cellphone??

Handofdeath
04-10-2007, 07:46 PM

Maybe.

redsrule2500
04-10-2007, 07:48 PM
Man I wish everyone in baseball would either walk or plunk his ass for the rest of the season. ******* juice monkey.

:)

Redlegs
04-10-2007, 07:50 PM
Barry's out there all alone these days. I wonder if he feels it was all worth it.
Assuming he juiced, of course. ;)

RedFanAlways1966
04-10-2007, 09:32 PM
http://www.citizensmedal.com/HankAaron715.jpg

As a lifelong baseball fan...

One I saw on TV as a kid and I will always remember seeing. I felt fortunate at a young age to be old enough to see it and I have never forgotten it.

One I will make it a point to not see. If I am watching something else and they break-in to show the AB, I will turn the channel. I will not watch it. I will eventually see it and read about it b/c of who I am, but I will not be happy... as I was for the other guy in 1974.

Good for Hank. And good for him for his reason. We will watch and read certain media types turn it into something it is not, but all the more reason for Hank not to deal with those types. Enjoy your life, Hank... a good man like you deserves it.

Yachtzee
04-10-2007, 09:32 PM
Loneliness is a such a sad affair
And I can hardly wait to be with you again
What to say to make you come again
Come back to me again

Don't you remember you told me you loved me baby
You said you'd be coming back this way again baby
Baby, baby, baby, baby, oh, baby, I love you
I really do

Mr.MojoRisin
04-10-2007, 09:41 PM
Way to go Hank, if more people like that would step up and give their 2 cents that worthless piece of crap Bonds wouldn't be so darn celebrated. If he gets into the hall of fame there is no reason Pete Rose shouldn't.

paintmered
04-10-2007, 09:45 PM
Way to go Hank, if more people like that would step up and give their 2 cents that worthless piece of crap Bonds wouldn't be so darn celebrated. If he gets into the hall of fame there is no reason Pete Rose shouldn't.

As long as ESPN is around, the world won't be able to escape Barry and "the chase".

UGADaddy
04-10-2007, 09:55 PM
Long live The Hammer as Home Run King!

RedsBaron
04-10-2007, 10:08 PM
:thumbup: to Hank.

Redsland
04-10-2007, 10:50 PM
Barry's out there all alone these days. I wonder if he feels it was all worth it.
Yahoo posted this photo a couple of days ago, and I wanted to use it for the caption contest, but we'd done a Bonds a few days prior, so I didn't. Still, it's a captivating shot.

We see Bonds and we're told that he's "among legends," but he's actually standing there all alone. Willie Mays seems to be looking at Bonds accusingly. Hank Aaron? He's turned his back on Bonds.

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20070409/capt.a4460a9df9174418872827e9152f9c33.dodgers_gian ts_baseball_cata109.jpg

Handofdeath
04-11-2007, 01:31 PM
Yahoo posted this photo a couple of days ago, and I wanted to use it for the caption contest, but we'd done a Bonds a few days prior, so I didn't. Still, it's a captivating shot.

We see Bonds and we're told that he's "among legends," but he's actually standing there all alone. Willie Mays seems to be looking at Bonds accusingly. Hank Aaron? He's turned his back on Bonds.

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20070409/capt.a4460a9df9174418872827e9152f9c33.dodgers_gian ts_baseball_cata109.jpg

The Babe looks like he's searching for the beer guy.:)

George Anderson
04-11-2007, 03:02 PM
The Babe looks like he's searching for the beer guy.:)

Or some hottie in the stands!!;)

Razor Shines
04-11-2007, 03:31 PM

Not just looking at him accusingly but Willie looks like he's about to go Tanya Harding on Bonds' knee.

Always Red
04-11-2007, 04:12 PM
Henry Aaron= I-N-T-E-G-R-I-T-Y

George Anderson
04-11-2007, 04:26 PM
If Bonds breaks the record anywhere but SF it will be pretty embarrassing for MLB. I ran a poll a few months back asking if people would boo or cheer Bonds if they happened to be at the park when he broke the record. 56% said they would boo loudly. 32 % said they would sit and neither cheer or boo. Only 10% said they would cheer him. MLB is going to have a major PR crisis because it is very likely that one of baseballs cherished records will be broke in a visitors park, with tens of thousands of fans booing and making the event something MLB will long to forget about.

Redsland
04-11-2007, 04:27 PM
Good thing the all-time hit record isn't tainted in any way.

;)