PDA

View Full Version : Hamilton's first homer

harangatang
04-11-2007, 12:26 AM
I thought it may be a good idea that a thread be made regarding Hamilton's first homer. :beerme:

paintmered
04-11-2007, 12:29 AM
How soon will video be online?

The_jbh
04-11-2007, 12:35 AM
first major league hit as well. Congrats Josh!

HumnHilghtFreel
04-11-2007, 12:55 AM
How soon will video be online?

I'll save it and archive it on Youtube after the game

ED44
04-11-2007, 12:58 AM
Congrats Josh! The 1st of many we hope!

paintmered
04-11-2007, 01:09 AM
I'll save it and archive it on Youtube after the game

Much appreciated. :)

Legion of Dunn
04-11-2007, 02:11 AM
I liked his comment about it in the dugout. :D

Chris Sabowned
04-11-2007, 02:58 AM
I thought it was funny how the guys gave him the cold shoulder at first when he got back to the dugout.

HumnHilghtFreel
04-11-2007, 03:29 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=d348e9-qLkU It's hot off the presses, so it may not be processed by youtube yet, but it's there.

Ltlabner
04-11-2007, 08:22 AM
Man...that sure was purdy. Hope to see many more of those.

As several have posted, he has a lot of learning to do at the big league level, but he seems to posess the paitence and innate skills to succede if given the chance. Let's hope he gets that chance.

BuckeyeRedleg
04-11-2007, 10:20 AM
Josh Hamilton is Roy Hobbs.

From this day forward I refer to him as "The Natural".

Degenerate39
04-11-2007, 10:33 AM
It's really a shame that we couldn't pick up the win to go with Josh's home run.

membengal
04-11-2007, 11:32 AM
I was just as impressed with the two walks. I believe, in eight plate appearances this year, he has three walks. Simply lovely.

George Anderson
04-11-2007, 11:40 AM
I didnt get to watch the game. Anything significant or insignificant about his defense last night??

redsfan30
04-11-2007, 11:51 AM
It is just not humanly possible to not root for this young man.

:clap:

forfreelin04
04-11-2007, 12:06 PM
Why didnt he stare at it like Griffey? :devil:

ncman31
04-11-2007, 12:08 PM
Thats my boy, way to go josh. we are all proud of you back home.

There were about 5-6 of us who have known Josh since little league at the bar last night watching the game, needless to say... after the HR we celebrated.

Will he start tonight?

forfreelin04
04-11-2007, 12:10 PM
Thats my boy, way to go josh. we are all proud of you back home.

There were about 5-6 of us who have known Josh since little league at the bar last night watching the game, needless to say... after the HR we celebrated.

Will he start tonight?

You would hope so. I think he earned it.:)

howyoufreelin
04-11-2007, 12:10 PM
Is it just me, or does he have a gun from Centerfield?

OesterPoster
04-11-2007, 12:13 PM
I didnt get to watch the game. Anything significant or insignificant about his defense last night??

He made the routine plays. Nothing spectacular, but nothing bad either. He did try to throw a guy out at third on a tag-up from 2nd, but the ball was hit really deep, and it didn't appear to me that Josh had his body squared up for the throw. The throw was strong, but it was off the bag about 10 feet.

I'm going by memory, and I was pretty tired though. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. :)

BRM
04-11-2007, 12:13 PM
I don't think Freel will sit two in a row. Maybe he gets a start in Junior's place tonight?

forfreelin04
04-11-2007, 12:14 PM
I don't think Freel will sit two in a row. Maybe he gets a start in Junior's place tonight?

Not if Thom has anything to say about it!:thumbdown

TOBTTReds
04-11-2007, 12:21 PM
Is it just me, or does he have a gun from Centerfield?

Anyone who has seen him throw knows he has a great arm. Was kind of over zealous last night though.

redsfan30
04-11-2007, 12:23 PM
Not if Thom has anything to say about it!:thumbdown

:confused:

Degenerate39
04-11-2007, 12:25 PM
Finally, a taste of success for Hamilton

By Tim Brown, Yahoo! Sports
April 10, 2007

PHOENIX – Josh Hamilton, a big-league ballplayer for nine days, sober for 18 months and four days, homered Tuesday night for the first time in nearly five years.

Hamilton batted leadoff and played center field for the Cincinnati Reds in his first major-league start, and in his second at-bat against Arizona Diamondbacks right-hander Edgar Gonzalez, pulled a changeup over the right-field fence at Chase Field.

The home run was the first major-league hit for Hamilton, the first overall draft pick by the Tampa Bay Devil Rays in 1999, back when all of this was supposed to happen much sooner.

He's 25 now and on the Reds' roster as a fourth outfielder and five-tool, Rule 5 flier. That he is anywhere at all – his head clear, a bat in his hands, measuring an off-speed pitch – attests to the size of the fight in the little of him that was left a year and a half ago, and for five years before that.

His last official home run was June 29, 2002, playing for Class-A Bakersfield.

"So," he said almost under his breath, "it was a long time ago."

A few lifetimes, yeah. This one appears to be treating him better, though, and he it.

"You know, when I was away from baseball it seemed like things were going in slow motion, all the things I was doing, seeing the seasons go by," he said. "Since I've been back, it seems like such a whirlwind.

"It overwhelms me thinking about it. But, I can't think about it. I just have to let it go."

Hamilton is off the booze, off the cocaine, free from the suspensions and out of the life that led to the following media guide notations for his 2003-05 seasons: "Didn't play professionally."

With some trepidation, Major League Baseball allowed Hamilton to resume his career in Class A Hudson Valley late last June. Five months later, the Chicago Cubs selected him in the Rule 5 draft and traded him to the Reds, who had themselves a recovering alcoholic and drug addict, and also a big, strong, hard-swinging, hard-sliding ballplayer with still plenty to lose.

His wife, Katie, was not in the ballpark Monday, but she intends to be Friday in Chicago.

"I'm sure she was listening, or watching, if she could," he said.

An hour before game time, as handfuls of Reds players ducked their heads and passed nearby, Hamilton stood at the dugout's top step, looked people in the eyes and accepted their encouragement. As he did, he caught a hat and a pen and signed. A ball and a pen and signed. A program and a pen and signed.

When there was no one else shouting his name, he took his glove and departed for his first start, another step in which he'd first test the ground ahead of him.

Several times during the game, he said, he removed his cap to clear his view. Then he allowed himself a breath and a long look around.

The thought ran through his mind, he said, "There's no reason I should be here."

He let himself hear the hecklers, the people from behind who knew him only as HAMILTON 33. He said he smiled and wished he could tell them, "You have no idea where I've been or where I've come from. … It's just an awesome ballpark."

You got the feeling any ballpark would have done. But in this one, so cavernous that batting practice balls echoed forever off seatbacks and scoreboard panels, it would be special for a while.

In the third inning, Hamilton hit the first pitch he saw, a tumbler Gonzalez would regret, for a two-run home run. He was at second base before he'd realized what he'd done, and this time it was OK to keep running.

All those years continued to echo, all those wasted thoughts, those wasted nights, those wasted directions. They'll never fully die, maybe. And he'll start over tomorrow.

"The one thing that has impressed me since day one with him," Reds manager Jerry Narron said, "he's not made any excuses. He's been fully accountable for his past. He wants to get his life right and help other people."

He paused and thought about the home run, well-intended and well-struck.

"He's got a chance," Narron said, "to hit a lot more."

It had been a long time since anybody said that about Josh Hamilton. A very long time.

In that, Hamilton said, he arrived eventually at a single notion.

"Just basically thinking about not giving up," he said. "First of all, on life itself."

TOBTTReds
04-11-2007, 12:36 PM
pulled a changeup over the right-field fence

For anyone that actually cares, it was an awful slider that backed up over the plate.

smith288
04-11-2007, 01:14 PM
For anyone that actually cares, it was an awful slider that backed up over the plate.
Changeup, slider...what's difference is facts when you are trying to win a pulitzer? ;)

Dunner44
04-11-2007, 02:22 PM
I'd be okay with Freel starting over Kenny today, but I don't think Jerry will rest Ken against a rookie right handed pitcher. I'd rather see Hamilton than Freel in CF, however. Maybe give BP the day off and let Freel make a start at 2B?

For discussion purposes, Freel's splits against Lefties/Righties: L - .303/.424/.413 R - .261/.343/.394
Same stats for Phillips: L - .299/.351/.423 R - .268/.315/.429

Phillips numbers aren't that different... giving him the day off wouldn't be a terrible thing...

Hey Meat
04-11-2007, 03:34 PM
I have been very impressed with him so far. He is a much needed extra bat in the ourfield. Don't really think we should platoon him with Freel yet, but should try to get him as many ABs as possible. I was skeptical about some of Krivsky's offseason moves this year, but so far Hamilton and Conine seem to be good moves.

Hey Meat
04-11-2007, 03:36 PM
Why didnt he stare at it like Griffey? :devil:
First time to go yard in the bigs. I think he was in shock initially. He sure hustled down to first though.

thatcoolguy_22
04-11-2007, 03:37 PM
Changeup, slider...what's difference is facts when you are trying to win a pulitzer? ;)

:bowrofl:

Chip R
04-11-2007, 03:43 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=d348e9-qLkU It's hot off the presses, so it may not be processed by youtube yet, but it's there.

This one's for you, Steve Phillips. :mooner:

ncman31
04-11-2007, 04:11 PM
Watching him pitch in high school was a treat as well. Mid 90's from the left side. Only problem pitching was none of the area catcher's could catch his fastball or slider.

Ltlabner
04-11-2007, 05:16 PM

IIRC he had a throw in where it was really offline or missed the cut-off man and a run scored. But most of the comments in the game thread chocked it up to nevers and trying to over throw the ball.

I didn't get to listen to the whole game, but that's what stood out to me.

Jharb74
04-11-2007, 05:17 PM
Here are some interesting posts from Trents blog, not saying I agree 100%, just a different spin. I apologize in advance for lifting them, if these people also post here.:

Mr. Doom and Gloom said...
How long will it be before a summary of Hamilton's past can be left out of articles about his performance on the field?
Not saying it's not a great story, just saying it's getting old rereading it in every article in which his name is mentioned.
Sooner or later it's got to stop right? Just wondering when.

bas1626 said...

Josh Hamilton is the best story you've ever covered??? Wow. I mean I guess it's great that a crackhead overcame his self-inflicted drug problem and only threw away 4-5 years of his life as opposed to 20-30 years. But come on.

I'm with Rick that it's kind of sad the media keeps crowning Josh and treating him like he's some sort of hero while other players who were clean to begin with and worked just as hard to get where they are, get nothing. Is Josh really more deserving of praise or adulation than that guy? Apparently since this is the greatest story at least one journalist has ever covered.

Razor Shines
04-11-2007, 05:41 PM
Here are some interesting posts from Trents blog, not saying I agree 100%, just a different spin. I apologize in advance for lifting them, if these people also post here.:

Mr. Doom and Gloom said...
How long will it be before a summary of Hamilton's past can be left out of articles about his performance on the field?
Not saying it's not a great story, just saying it's getting old rereading it in every article in which his name is mentioned.
Sooner or later it's got to stop right? Just wondering when.

bas1626 said...

Josh Hamilton is the best story you've ever covered??? Wow. I mean I guess it's great that a crackhead overcame his self-inflicted drug problem and only threw away 4-5 years of his life as opposed to 20-30 years. But come on.

I'm with Rick that it's kind of sad the media keeps crowning Josh and treating him like he's some sort of hero while other players who were clean to begin with and worked just as hard to get where they are, get nothing. Is Josh really more deserving of praise or adulation than that guy? Apparently since this is the greatest story at least one journalist has ever covered.
Yes, because baseball is a sport that praises people for talent and accomplishment. So far Hamilton's accomplishment (baseball wise) is that he tore it up in the spring and earned a spot on the team, I'm sure he'll add to that as he goes along. That other guy is probably a great guy and works hard, but he isn't going to help the Reds win more than Josh Hamilton. It's not that other guy's fault that he doesn't have Josh's natural abilities, but that's the way it goes.

VR
04-11-2007, 05:48 PM
bas1626 said...

That is a pitiful, selfish comment, and a disturbing look at the sad side of humanity.

I haven't heard anyone crowning Josh Hamilton with anything.
What's sad is that someone can't sit back and appreciate the hell this man has gone through....self admittedly brought on by himself....and see him turning the corner to make it back to 'normal' again. There's a hope I have for any human being who has battled and struggled to get past the darkness.

I was having dinner last night w/ my boss, following the game on my blackberry (rude, but necessary). When I saw "Josh Hamilton HR, Kyle Loshe scores, Josh Hamilton scores" come across the refreshed screen.....it was like I was watching the 'scene' in The Natural all over again...when he hit the cover off the ball. Are you kidding me? Did that just happen? Who is this guy?It was the coolest sports moment I've seen in a long long time, and an unbelievable 'human interest' story that it didn't take a baseball fan to understand the magnitude. I don't care if he hit the homer against the Reds to win the game....it would still have been something to appreciate.

If Josh returns to his dark side, ....I will be very sad for the guy, but it won't diminish one bit what he did last night. Others will be smugly ready to laugh and feel like the world is all right again.
pffffft.

RedsManRick
04-11-2007, 06:07 PM
Let me defend myself quickly here:

Josh Hamilton deserves all kinds of praise for his ability to pull himself out of the self-hell he created and become a professional ballplayer and good person. Everything I've seen & heard from the guy makes me a huge fan.

That said, any discussion of his past BY THE MEDIA should be placed in the context that he's darn lucky to be where he is and in no way whatsoever glamorize his demons. 1,000's of people go down that road and never come back. I think many people treat it very well, including C. Trent, I just take issue with the way certain media outlets have handled it.

VR
04-11-2007, 06:14 PM

I guess I missed your first post? :confused:

Matt700wlw
04-11-2007, 06:14 PM

Josh Hamilton deserves all kinds of praise for his ability to pull himself out of the self-hell he created and become a professional ballplayer and good person. Everything I've seen & heard from the guy makes me a huge fan.

That said, any discussion of his past BY THE MEDIA should be placed in the context that he's darn lucky to be where he is and in no way whatsoever glamorize his demons. 1,000's of people go down that road and never come back. I think many people treat it very well, including C. Trent, I just take issue with the way certain media outlets have handled it.

I didn't know the media was glamorizing his demons...I haven't seen those..maybe some are, I don't know.

I finally see a good story about a guy who's had his struggles, battled his way to sobriety, and back into the game he loves. A guy who doesn't blame other people for his problems, but blames himself. A guy who credits his loved ones for having his back, giving him support, and helping him. I see a guy who credits the Reds for giving him another chance at his first true love, he understands that it isn't a right to be a pro athlete. I see a guy who appreciates everything he has now, who seems to have learned from his mistakes, and doesn't shy away from his past when talking about the person he's become. I see a guy who really wants to do well, who really cares about changing his life....this is a guy you can feel for...this is a guy who gets it.

Then I see a guy like Chris Henry...hell, his agent called it a "witch hunt" when he got caught driving with a suspended license.

Matt700wlw
04-11-2007, 06:35 PM
Just to add to the "media created" story...:D

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070411/SPT05/704110329/1035/SPT