PDA

View Full Version : New Albums I Like a Lot

camisadelgolf
04-11-2007, 02:14 AM
Because of the Times by Kings of Leon (their best album yet; might be looked upon as one of the best bands of the decade)
Cassadaga by Bright Eyes (I'm a huge Bright Eyes fan and would put this album between Lifted and Wide Awake--please don't ask me how I got ahold of these songs)
Traffic and Weather by Fountains of Wayne (they've been one of my favorite bands since their first album, and this is, by far, their best album yet, IMHO)
What's the Time, Mr. Wolf? by the Noisettes (this album is great for people who like rock 'n' roll with a modern touch--very interesting album)
Spells by the Comas (I would probably recommend this album to people who like the Postal Service)
Thirteen Tales of Love and Revenge by the Pierces (female harmonies that get stuck in your head like crazy--very good album)
Armchair Apoocrypha by Andrew Bird (just another very good Andrew Bird CD)
The Arockalypse by Lordi (for any fan of rock and metal; the guitars are sweet, too)
The Weirdness by the Stooges (it's nothing classic or epic, but it's a very solid CD)
New Magnetic Wonder by the Apples in Stereo (surprisingly, their most recent CD is already my favorite of theirs)

The Baumer
04-11-2007, 02:56 AM
That Andrew Bird cd is really good. Other good recent albums are the new LCD Soundsystem, Peter Bjorn & John, and also, the up coming Dntel (Jimmy Tamberello a.k.a. the guy who did the bleeps and bloops on the Postal Service record) cd is pretty sweet. It features guest vocals from Conor Oberst, Jenny Lewis, and the fellow from Grizzly Bear. Comes out April 24th I think.

dman
04-11-2007, 06:19 AM
It's not real new, so to speak, but I like "Shine" by Skies of America. I saw where they have a song on the "Bridge To Terabithia" soundtrack. Maybe this kind of exposure will vault them to where they deserve to be.

RedsBaron
04-11-2007, 07:26 AM
"Waking Up Laughing"-Martina McBride

registerthis
04-11-2007, 11:13 AM
I found the new Fountains of Wayne to be merely so-so. There's nothing wrong with it, per se, but I thought "Welcome Interstate managers" and "Utopia Parkway" were much more interesting. Even their b-sides collection, Out of State Plates, had more going on.

Traffic and Weather seems like the same song done ten different times using ten different characters, with a couple of slower numbers thrown in for good measure.

...this from the band that did "Haley's Waitress", perhaps the most cracking pop tune I've heard this decade.

EddieMilner
04-11-2007, 12:05 PM
i also like the new kings of leon and bright eyes cd's.

LvJ
04-13-2007, 09:39 PM
Armchair Apoocrypha is very solid.

'Arcade Fire' and 'Clap Your Hands and Say Yeah' have released two great albums recently.

nycredsfan
04-14-2007, 11:21 AM
Rock Plaza Central's "Are We not Horses" is a fantastic record. It's perfect for anyone still desparately hoping for a new Neutral Milk Hotel album.

Also, the new albums by Cortney Tidwell and Twilight Sad are very good. I agree with the Andrew Bird love going on here. He is playing tonight at Southgate House for anyone in the area.

vaticanplum
04-14-2007, 12:31 PM
Also, the new albums by Cortney Tidwell and Twilight Sad are very good. I agree with the Andrew Bird love going on here. He is playing tonight at Southgate House for anyone in the area.

I totally missed this! Sweet, thank you!

pedro
04-14-2007, 01:46 PM
I found the new Fountains of Wayne to be merely so-so. There's nothing wrong with it, per se, but I thought "Welcome Interstate managers" and "Utopia Parkway" were much more interesting. Even their b-sides collection, Out of State Plates, had more going on.

Traffic and Weather seems like the same song done ten different times using ten different characters, with a couple of slower numbers thrown in for good measure.

i concur

George Foster
04-14-2007, 08:32 PM
If you like R&B, soul music, I suggest "The Evolution of Robin Thicke." It is a great album. He is the son of Alan Thicke the father on "Growing Pains."

Robin has written 5 hit songs for several artist. He sounds like a "white" Marvin Gay. Incredible voice.

My wife and I like him so much, we are flying down to St. Pete in May to see him in concert. He will also be on American Idol...May 2nd I think.

www.robinthicke.com :thumbup: :thumbup:

WebScorpion
04-15-2007, 02:02 AM
It's not real new, so to speak, but I like "Shine" by Skies of America. I saw where they have a song on the "Bridge To Terabithia" soundtrack. Maybe this kind of exposure will vault them to where they deserve to be.

The song on the BTT soundtrack is 'Shine', but it's their second soundtrack song. You'll find the second song on the Shine album, 'Fascination' on the soundtrack from the movie 'Eulogy'...of course, the band was named 'The Better Days' at the time. I agree that Shine is a great collection tho! :thumbup:

nycredsfan
04-15-2007, 11:40 AM
I totally missed this! Sweet, thank you!

I hope you managed to get in as the show was really great. Suprisingly it was sold out and there were some folks outside asking about extra tickets. The way Andrew Bird plays each part and loops it with a series of pedals to build the song is something to see and his drummer, Martin Dosh, is incredible.

vaticanplum
04-15-2007, 01:10 PM
I hope you managed to get in as the show was really great. Suprisingly it was sold out and there were some folks outside asking about extra tickets. The way Andrew Bird plays each part and loops it with a series of pedals to build the song is something to see and his drummer, Martin Dosh, is incredible.

I had to pull some strings, but I did -- thanks so much for the heads up. I love Andrew Bird.

Doc. Scott
04-17-2007, 01:51 PM
I would recommend that no one miss the new record by the National, Boxer. Comes out in May, but there are ways...

The Long Winters' Putting the Days to Bed is a great modern pop/rock record.

Stewie
04-17-2007, 02:01 PM
I would recommend that no one miss the new record by the National, Boxer. Comes out in May, but there are ways...

That's one of the albums I am anticipating the most this year. Alligator is one of my faves from the past few years.

pedro
04-17-2007, 05:28 PM
I got my hands on a pre-release copy of the new Wilco album "Sky Blue Sky" which I like quite a lot.

the new Kings of Leon is good too.

Falls City Beer
04-28-2007, 11:22 PM
Alright, it's not really new, but "Feels" by Animal Collective rules. So does "Sung Tongs."

Dracodave
04-28-2007, 11:40 PM
Year Zero- Nine Inch Nails is great.
Holding a Wolf by the ears - From Autumn to Ashes is excellent.

I have to say Francis really captured alot in the new cd with lyrics such as "There are thousands of you like me, and you'll be so so sorry. When you start to hate the sound of laughter, grinding your teeth down to powder" and "And this will never be, and this will never be. Reversed, an installation. I'm sending an open invitation to all those poineers. Driven by suspicion the old worlds gone and we're still wishing for a new fontier to sink our teeth in and forget what you thought you believed in."

As well as songs like "a goat in sheeps rosary", that boast lyrics such as..

If every word is a dead symbol empowered by the carriers expression
I'll bury my instrument, citing this incident
I'm a flickering bulb that keeps blaming the filament
The most honest telling of this boyish fable is that on level ground I'm never feeling stable
But i've got to try to oulast this candle or trust department to fight the inferno

Two really good cd's