PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Phillips or Willie Mays Hayes?

Chris Sabowned
04-11-2007, 01:39 PM
Is it just me or does Brandon Phillips :phillips: think he's Willie Mays Hayes from Major League 2 this year? He's more of a contact hitter yet it seems like he's trying to go yard every at bat. It always looks good coming off the bat, but usually falls short for a fly out. I hope some of our coaches can try to change this. But I doubt they will.

forfreelin04
04-11-2007, 02:12 PM
This was the problem with him in Cleveland. We saw how that ended

forfreelin04
04-11-2007, 02:13 PM
BTW, I think batting him in the top of the lineup and especially in the 3 hole heightens Phillips want to hit the long ball or just be swing happy. Jerry, being the sage like he is, never seems to notice such things.

howyoufreelin
04-11-2007, 02:20 PM
For a guy Brandon's size, he's got really good pop in his bat. He can probably be a 20-25 homerun guy, but only if he lets it come to him. If he indeed does try to drive it out every single at bat, he's going to really struggle this year.

REDREAD
04-11-2007, 02:29 PM
Phillips really needs to be dropped to the #6 or #7 slot in the lineup.

He has no business hitting #2 or #3.. Another dumb Narron idea.

Just bat Dunn-EdE-Jr if you want to break up the lefties.

Bat Dunn second since we don't have a true #2 hitter.

bucksfan2
04-11-2007, 02:37 PM

Count me as one of the few but I like Phillips in the 3 hole. He has power to all fields and has speed. He is a little bit of a free swinger but I am hoping that this year he shows a little more paitence and becomes a better all around hitter. I would like to see Hamilton work his way into the 3 hole this year but that would make too many lefties in the middle of the lineup. Outside of maybe EE Phillips is my choice for #3.

BuckeyeRedleg
04-11-2007, 02:51 PM
I'm just not too thrilled about my #3 hitter OPS'ing in the low-mid .700's on a good day.

AdamDunn
04-11-2007, 04:08 PM
1. Freel
2. Phillips
3. Dunn
4. Encarnacion
5. Griffey
6. Conine/Hatteburg
7. Ross/Valentine
8. Gonzalez

Ideal line-up, everyday

HumnHilghtFreel
04-11-2007, 04:13 PM
1. Freel
2. Phillips
3. Dunn
4. Encarnacion
5. Griffey
6. Conine/Hatteburg
7. Ross/Valentine
8. Gonzalez

Ideal line-up, everyday

7-8-9 is still a breeze through inning, but that's another thread for another day(or today if someone feels like making it:p: )

Degenerate39
I'd like to see:

Freel/Hamilton
Dunn
Edwin
Griffey
Conine/Hatte
BP
Gonzo
Ross/Valentine
Pitcher

ITHIKABAND
He may run like Hayes but he hits like SH*&...

James B.
04-11-2007, 04:19 PM
I don't think that is a fair comparison. The Mays Hayes role was a weak hitting leadoff hitter, with no power. Phillips has the power to hit it out of the yard on a consistent basis.

AdamDunn
04-11-2007, 05:11 PM
7-8-9 is still a breeze through inning, but that's another thread for another day(or today if someone feels like making it:p: )

Ross isn't a breeze through... he can rake I believe. But yes, it is very weak. Which is why I never supported signing Alex Gonzalez to $16 million over three years. I still don't. Weak offense at the end of last year. Then our biggest FA signing is a weak SS. That's why I predict a long year for the Reds.

Ltlabner
04-11-2007, 05:14 PM
Ross isn't a breeze through... he can rake I believe. But yes, it is very weak. Which is why I never supported signing Alex Gonzalez to $16 million over three years. I still don't. Weak offense at the end of last year. Then our biggest FA signing is a weak SS. That's why I predict a long year for the Reds.

If only we had an offense that would hit lots of homers. We could forget about boring stuff like defense, preventing runs, pitching, bull pens. If we scored the most runs in the league we would surely go to the playoffs every year wouldn't we?

reds44
04-11-2007, 05:47 PM
1. Freel
2. Phillips
3. Dunn
4. Encarnacion
5. Griffey
6. Conine/Hatteburg
7. Ross/Valentine
8. Gonzalez

Ideal line-up, everyday
1. Freel/Hamilton
2. Hatteberg
3. Edwin
4. Dunn
5. Griffey
6. Phillips
7. Gonzalez
8. Ross/Javy

BRM
04-11-2007, 05:50 PM
Hat was an out machine in the two hole last year.

Far East
04-11-2007, 06:37 PM
... it seems like he's trying to go yard every at bat...
Recent evidence includes Tuesday's game in Arizona on his swing from the heels on the hit and run with Hatteberg running from first and in the (last?) Pirate game on a similar swing with a runner on second and no outs. One of the guys in the Buc's broadcast booth (Bob Walk) sarcastically praised a couple of times Brandon's (non) attempt at getting his teammate to third.

Both situations where -- at least by traditional wisdom about advancing runners -- one might expect a ground ball (and in particular, to the right side in the case of the Pirate game).

That said, Phillips -- warts and all -- is a potent offensive threat and potential gold-glover.

Blitz Dorsey
04-11-2007, 07:25 PM
Are we saying we want BP to drop and give us 20 push-ups every time he pops out?

(And I hear he's hanging a pair of batting gloves on his bedroom wall for each stolen base this year.)

Highlifeman21
04-11-2007, 08:48 PM

That would just make way too much sense.

And we know Jerry Narron doesn't make sense at all.

I'd almost rather have Griffey back in the 3 spot instead of Phillips.

Phillips needs to get back to 6 where he belongs.

Ross and Gonzo can flip a coin for 7 and 8.

Highlifeman21
04-11-2007, 08:52 PM
1. Freel/Hamilton
2. Hatteberg
3. Edwin
4. Dunn
5. Griffey
6. Phillips
7. Gonzalez
8. Ross/Javy

Now we're talkin.

I'd almost go something like this....

vs RHP

Hamilton
Hatteberg
Dunn
EE
Griffey
Phillips
Gonzo
Catcher du Jour

vs LHP

Freel
Hamilton
EE
Dunn
Hatteberg
Phillips
Gonzo
Catcher du Jour

But that might be my Snapple talkin.

Now that I think about it, my Snapple bottle could probably put together a better lineup than Jerry Narron.

TC81190
04-11-2007, 08:53 PM
I'd almost rather have Griffey back in the 3 spot instead of Phillips.

Phillips needs to get back to 6 where he belongs.

Maybe, but I think in front of Griffey he'll get better pitches to hit. Someone needs to tell him to stop doing a Tiger Woods impression and swing even. If he's moved out of the 3 hole, it should be to the 2 hole. He's the only person in the lineup besides Freel who can take a base and move into scoring position if needed.

Doro
04-11-2007, 09:15 PM
haha I made this comparision last night

BuckU
04-12-2007, 09:24 AM

What has Gonzalez done that you are not impressed with? He's hitting the ball decent and playing good D.

Dunner44
04-12-2007, 09:34 AM
I don't think that is a fair comparison. The Mays Hayes role was a weak hitting leadoff hitter, with no power. Phillips has the power to hit it out of the yard on a consistent basis.

Ah, now you're thinking of Major League, but in Major League 2, Hayes comes back from the off season and decides he's a HR hitter again. This becomes even more relevant, because the story is so similar. In Major League, they correct Hayes' hitting problem, like Jerry did last year, but after the offseason, he goes back to his old ways, like a certian second baseman seems to have done. Putting him in the 3 hole was a psychological mistake.

If only we still had Wily Mo Cerrano, we'd make the pennant. Who could play the role of Vaughn?

Redhook
04-15-2007, 09:56 AM
Ah, now you're thinking of Major League, but in Major League 2, Hayes comes back from the off season and decides he's a HR hitter again. This becomes even more relevant, because the story is so similar. In Major League, they correct Hayes' hitting problem, like Jerry did last year, but after the offseason, he goes back to his old ways, like a certian second baseman seems to have done. Putting him in the 3 hole was a psychological mistake.

I agree with you to a certain extent. While Phillips looks pretty similar at the plate compared to last year, he may be thinking differently than he was last year being in the 3 spot to start this year. And I don't see anything good coming out of that. Phillips is just hacking away up there like he's in a home run derby. It's truely amazing to see his lack of discipline at the plate. Someone (*hint, hint....Narron*) needs to sit him down and redefine his role in this offense. I'd like to see him in the 2-spot, but I truely don't believe Phillips knows how to be a #2 hitter so I think he's best-suited in the #6 spot.

By the way, I think the Willie Mays Hayes comparison is dead-on.

KronoRed
04-15-2007, 11:40 AM
The trouble with putting him in the 6 spot where he belongs is that with Gonzo and Ross down there you have a 6-9 in the lineup that is bordering on awful.

Just put him in the 2 spot and let him ground out and move Freel/Hamilton over :D

MaineRed
04-15-2007, 11:46 AM

What has Edwin done to show he should be hitting third? If you are moving BP, why are you moving Edwin up?

I don't like your line-up. Back to back lefties 4th and 5th (Griff and Hatte) and then righties from 6-8. Right now to beat us with their bullpen teams can't specialize us to death. 3 of 4 hitters being lefties with struggling Edwin as the only righty plays right into the other teams hands.

I think Phillips AND Edwin will heat up with the weather. I say give em another two or three weeks before getting too worked up. The line-up isn't great right now but I'm not sure we can really fix it by shifting guys around.

2001MUgrad
04-15-2007, 12:51 PM
People respond to different types of pressure in different ways. I don't have any stats to back me up and not sure where to find them, but last year he hit the ball much much better when he was hitting 6th or 7th. When they moved him up to leadoff or the 2 hole he couldn't hit his way out of a paperbag. Just like Dunn, Dunn seems much more comfortable batting 2nd for whatever reason.

Redhook
04-15-2007, 01:55 PM
The trouble with putting him in the 6 spot where he belongs is that with Gonzo and Ross down there you have a 6-9 in the lineup that is bordering on awful.

Just put him in the 2 spot and let him ground out and move Freel/Hamilton over :D

Probably more accurate without the bolded phrase. :p:

KronoRed
04-15-2007, 02:03 PM
I was trying to be nice :D

membengal
04-15-2007, 07:50 PM
He's actually taken enough walks in the first two weeks to raise a little hope that he is working at being more patient. The BB and SB today he had was enormous, obviously...