PDA

View Full Version : Hamilton is my hero

REDblooded
04-11-2007, 11:56 PM
that's all

jimbo
04-11-2007, 11:59 PM
The boy can hit. His approach at the plate is something others on this team should be taking notes of.

guttle11
04-12-2007, 12:00 AM
He's so clearly overmatched.

Dunner44
04-12-2007, 12:01 AM
Can he play against arizona every day?

UC_Ken
04-12-2007, 12:02 AM
If AA and AAA are as meaningless as Hamilton makes it look maybe we should bring Jay Bruce up after the All Star Break.

Matt700wlw
04-12-2007, 12:07 AM
Eat doggie dung, Steve Phillips

:mooner:

jimbo
04-12-2007, 12:12 AM
Eat doggie dung, Steve Phillips

:mooner:

:clap:

Dunner44
04-12-2007, 12:14 AM
What did Phillips say?

ED44
04-12-2007, 12:16 AM
He is something else. It's been a long time since there was someone I cheered for to succeed like I do Josh. I am impressed with his discipline at the plate. He really works the count in every at bat.

Not to mention, he has an absolute cannon for an arm.

How long until he is in the lineup daily? If he continues his success, will it make Freel expendable? Or did Deno's injury take that out of consideration?

RedEye
04-12-2007, 12:26 AM
He is something else. It's been a long time since there was someone I cheered for to succeed like I do Josh. I am impressed with his discipline at the plate. He really works the count in every at bat.

Not to mention, he has an absolute cannon for an arm.

How long until he is in the lineup daily? If he continues his success, will it make Freel expendable? Or did Deno's injury take that out of consideration?

Even with Hamilton's arrival, Freel becomes a very valuable fourth OF in a thin, injury-prone group. I don't think we should be too quick to shop him yet. Let's wait and see how "The Natural" adjusts after the NL has a chance to study him on tape. His plate discipline portends good things, but he might have it more difficult the second time round the block.

ED44
04-12-2007, 12:31 AM
Even with Hamilton's arrival, Freel becomes a very valuable fourth OF in a thin, injury-prone group. I don't think we should be too quick to shop him yet. Let's wait and see how "The Natural" adjusts after the NL has a chance to study him on tape. His plate discipline portends good things, but he might have it more difficult the second time round the block.

That's my thought process, too. Untimely injury to Deno though. That really tied our hands. I would like to have been able to put a package together with either of them to be able to land a competent closer. I just cringe when I think of Weathers/Stanton closing out the game.

Homer Bailey
04-12-2007, 12:33 AM
Phillips said something along the lines of "The reds are making a mistake to their franchise by basically saying the Minor Leaguers that work their tails off lose out to a guy who has been out of the game for 4 years." I see his point, but I respectfully disagree. Put the best players on the field. Period.

OldRightHander
04-12-2007, 12:36 AM
When he swung and missed just before hitting the home run, I remember thinking, "That is one quick bat." Then the pitch he hit out was almost by him and the next thing you know the bat is out there so quick and he drove it with authority right where it was pitched. Impressive.

Spring~Fields
04-12-2007, 12:48 AM
I know that I appreciate him and that I am pulling for him.

TeamBoone
04-12-2007, 12:57 AM
Phillips said something along the lines of "The reds are making a mistake to their franchise by basically saying the Minor Leaguers that work their tails off lose out to a guy who has been out of the game for 4 years." I see his point, but I respectfully disagree. Put the best players on the field. Period.

Totally agree with you. It wasn't handed to him; he earned it.

If he can be this good after not playing for three years, the Reds are NOT "making a mistake to their franchise". Quite the opposite really, IMHO. It shows what hard work can accomplish.

What would have been a mistake is if he had not made the team.

VR
04-12-2007, 12:57 AM
When he swung and missed just before hitting the home run, I remember thinking, "That is one quick bat." Then the pitch he hit out was almost by him and the next thing you know the bat is out there so quick and he drove it with authority right where it was pitched. Impressive.

The pitch he hit out was chest high and about 8 inches outside. He merely flipped the wrists, went with the pitch and let the bat head do the work. A beautiful thing.
But I'm glad they showed 17 angles on every one of Dice man's pitches on BBTN to leave no time to evaluate this man's plate approach.

Matt700wlw
04-12-2007, 01:32 AM
The pitch he hit out was chest high and about 8 inches outside. He merely flipped the wrists, went with the pitch and let the bat head do the work. A beautiful thing.
But I'm glad they showed 17 angles on every one of Dice man's pitches on BBTN to leave no time to evaluate this man's plate approach.

Why would they do that?

Dice-K is the real story, remember?

I KNOW A LOT
04-12-2007, 01:43 AM
That OPP O Pop was sturdy though. Think about this - he has had so few ab's with the lumber compared to aluminum. To hit OPPO bombs it takes trusting ones hands and bat speed along with plate coverage and a commitment to not try to pull everything...In high school the metal allowed the ball to travel 40 feet or more compared to the lumber. It was nice to see him use the field.That pitch can easily turn into a weak ground ball to second. A LA Giambino when he was juicin. Reacting with a balanced stance and a short stride and short stroke allows one to not over commit to a pitch, stay back and drive the ball where it is thrown. Look for the scouting report to attempt to bust him inside with hard stuff soon. It is a game of cat and mouse- They do it to Jeter and he adjusts by pulling the hands in and inside outting to right center and once in a great while he turns on one. Hammer sees the ball incredibly well and should be able to adjust to the hard stuff inside. The slider in and the cutter in from righties and less off speed stuff will soon be the steady diet he receives. This will provoke foul balls to the right and then when the pitchers get ahead they will go up the ladder. I look for pitchers to throw minimal off speed stuff. They do not want to speed up his bat. If he stays balanced and not anxious and gets consistent AB's it will enable him to remain selective and take the walks and look for good hitters counts to drive the ball to all fields. Nice win tonight!!!!!!!!

jhiller21
04-12-2007, 03:05 AM
Hamilton's plate discipline has been outstanding so far, but even more impressive in my eyes is his bat speed. Already been mentioned, but even on a swing and miss I've been impressed by how quick his bat gets through the zone.

At this point, with the offense playing the way they are, we've got to start Hamilton every chance we get. Besides, Freel's a valuable asset off the bench as a pinch runner, seeing as our current bench has very little speed, and few who can take a walk.

Redleg39
04-12-2007, 07:34 AM
My favorite play though, was the routine flyball to right, that appeared like a clear tag play for the runnr on second. The runner started jogging, and realized that Hamilton had thrown an absolute seed to the second basemen. The runner all of the sudden was on his horse. What a powerful arm that guy has though.

UPRedsFan
04-12-2007, 08:54 AM
Dunn to first anyone? Narron says he'll ride Hamilton as long as he's hitting, but how. Will they platoon Conine and Hamilton and have Dunn play 1B against rhp? Or platoon Freel and Hamilton in CF? Or move Freel to 3B occasionally and sit Edwin?

I'd like to see this lineup against Zambrano

Freel
Hamilton
Dunn
Encarnacion
Griffey
Phillips
Gonzo
Valentin

lollipopcurve
04-12-2007, 09:03 AM
That OPP O Pop was sturdy though. Think about this - he has had so few ab's with the lumber compared to aluminum. To hit OPPO bombs it takes trusting ones hands and bat speed along with plate coverage and a commitment to not try to pull everything...In high school the metal allowed the ball to travel 40 feet or more compared to the lumber. It was nice to see him use the field.That pitch can easily turn into a weak ground ball to second. A LA Giambino when he was juicin. Reacting with a balanced stance and a short stride and short stroke allows one to not over commit to a pitch, stay back and drive the ball where it is thrown. Look for the scouting report to attempt to bust him inside with hard stuff soon. It is a game of cat and mouse- They do it to Jeter and he adjusts by pulling the hands in and inside outting to right center and once in a great while he turns on one. Hammer sees the ball incredibly well and should be able to adjust to the hard stuff inside. The slider in and the cutter in from righties and less off speed stuff will soon be the steady diet he receives. This will provoke foul balls to the right and then when the pitchers get ahead they will go up the ladder. I look for pitchers to throw minimal off speed stuff. They do not want to speed up his bat. If he stays balanced and not anxious and gets consistent AB's it will enable him to remain selective and take the walks and look for good hitters counts to drive the ball to all fields. Nice win tonight

Nice analysis. Will be interesting to see him against really hard stuff inside.

What I find really cool is his little wrist waggle -- almost like Sheffield from the left side. I can't remember seeing a lefthanded hitter with that kind of look since Willie Stargell. I mean, he just about flicked that pitch out to left last night -- amazing.

Jaycint
04-12-2007, 09:22 AM

Haha, best thing about it is Matsuzaka wasn't even the highlight of his own game. King Felix looked nasty last night.

Chip R
04-12-2007, 09:24 AM

I agree. We should put the best players on the field but if Hamilton hadn't been a Rule 5 pick, he would have never seen the light of day in ST.

Unassisted
04-12-2007, 09:55 AM

So far this year he's shown us he's a great ballplayer, but recent past years showed that he's also a fragile guy with addiction problems. Let Hamilton fly under the ESPN radar. Reds fans have shown the guy their appreciation and that's enough in my estimation. He doesn't need the whole country rooting for him to be successful.

Besides, it's obvious that spotlight didn't make Daisuke impervious to losses. ;)

BuckeyeRedleg
04-12-2007, 09:56 AM
It certainly is a pleasure to watch Roy Hobbs come to life.

Every time he steps up, I hear the music from the Natural when Hobbs goes deep at the end. I think it should be his intro music when he steps to the plate.

Why is it that I have a feeling Josh hits a HR to win a game at some point this year and he takes out either the Pepsi Power stacks or shatters the batters eye.

We are definitely watching something very special happen.

OldRightHander
04-12-2007, 03:07 PM
It certainly is a pleasure to watch Roy Hobbs come to life.

Every time he steps up, I hear the music from the Natural when Hobbs goes deep at the end. I think it should be his intro music when he steps to the plate.

Why is it that I have a feeling Josh hits a HR to win a game at some point this year and he takes out either the Pepsi Power stacks or shatters the batters eye.

We are definitely watching something very special happen.

If he really wants to pull a Hobbs, he'll hit a walk off jack in a road game. That's a feat not many hitters can manage.

Spring~Fields
04-12-2007, 04:03 PM
I have the Hamilton bug, I am overly anxious to see him at the plate again. I can't stand waiting. Time to change my meds ;)