PDA

View Full Version : Josh Hamilton at First Base?

Redsfanao
04-12-2007, 05:23 PM
I don't think this has been brought up yet. To continue to get his bat in the lineup, what do you think of him playing first base in addition to the outfield? His athleticism would seemingly allow for him to be an adequate first baseman. This would allow for him to be in the lineup in for one of the outfielders (mostly Griffey or Freel) and also in the first base rotation. Any thoughts?

HumnHilghtFreel
04-12-2007, 05:25 PM
Ehh, I think for now, learning how to hit major league pitching consistently is job enough. He doesn't need to learn a new position as well.

The_jbh
04-12-2007, 05:28 PM
hes our best defensive OF. send dunn or grif to 1st

REDblooded
04-12-2007, 05:54 PM
Yeah, I agree. It IS important to keep his bat in the line-up, but not at the expense of his better tools. This would be like suggesting AlexG move to left.

redsfan30
04-12-2007, 05:58 PM
Too much speed and range to be stuck at first.

Razor Shines
04-12-2007, 06:01 PM

Well I thought it was clear that Dunn does not want to play first base. I thought he told them that last year. Maybe I am wrong. Because who wouldn't want to see Freel, Hamilton, Dunn and Griff in the line up everyday.

ThatsAStrike
04-12-2007, 06:04 PM
Heck, Freel's played everywhere else, stick him at first.

Too bad he's such a small target.

Dunner44
04-12-2007, 06:37 PM
Heck, Freel's played everywhere else, stick him at first.

Too bad he's such a small target.

Yeah, no way in hell does he come down with a ball Edwin puts a little too much loft on...

As good a fielder as Edwin is, he still needs a big target at 1B. Dunn would be that... but that ship has sailed. So no way does Freel ever play there.

If only Freel was 5 inches taller.

Degenerate39
04-12-2007, 07:08 PM
Yeah, no way in hell does he come down with a ball Edwin puts a little too much loft on...

As good a fielder as Edwin is, he still needs a big target at 1B. Dunn would be that... but that ship has sailed. So no way does Freel ever play there.

If only Freel was 5 inches taller.

How tall is Joey Votto?

griffeyfreak4
04-12-2007, 07:37 PM
How tall is Joey Votto?
6-3 ish?

Degenerate39
04-12-2007, 07:39 PM
6-3 ish?

Next year that should give Edwin a nice target then

Willy
04-12-2007, 08:05 PM
Put EE at 1st and Freel at 3rd

KronoRed
04-12-2007, 08:24 PM
Don't give up on EE that fast, put Dunn at 1st.

Always Red
04-12-2007, 08:29 PM
Hamilton will be ready for 1B in 2020.

Until then, I'm good with Hatte and Conine holding the spot for Joey Votto.

Hammy at 1B would be an extreme waste of speed and throwing arm, although I know your plan is just to get him into the lineup.

As far as I'm concerned, Hamilton can play CF everyday, and Freel can split time with Jr and be the supersub.

CRedsLarkin11
04-12-2007, 08:34 PM
Hamilton will be ready for 1B in 2020.

Until then, I'm good with Hatte and Conine holding the spot for Joey Votto.

Hammy at 1B would be an extreme waste of speed and throwing arm, although I know your plan is just to get him into the lineup.

As far as I'm concerned, Hamilton can play CF everyday, and Freel can split time with Jr and be the supersub.

Yeah, I think that's the plan I like the most. Freel seems to do much better in that role anyway. Surely Narron realizes Hamilton has to be in the lineup every day

RBA
04-12-2007, 08:39 PM
Josh Hamilton for 5th starter and release Milton. ;)

Always Red
04-12-2007, 09:01 PM

He can do it all. ;)

rotnoid
04-12-2007, 09:07 PM
Narron's said he's going to stick with Hamilton until he slows down. So that means extra days off for Griffey and Freel. That fact alone probably makes this a better team late in the season. If Josh keeps it up, there's likely to be a deal in the works somewhere.

WMR
04-12-2007, 09:14 PM
Our best defensive outfielder at 1B? No thanks.

The debate should be between Griffey and Dunn.

Move one of those two to first and this team's offensive is immediately improved substantially and the bench gets a bit more pop as well.

Ain't gonna happen with who we got piloting this ship though.

The_jbh
04-12-2007, 09:16 PM
I don't think Dunn would mind playing 1B once a week, or as a late inning switch. He just doesn't want to play there full time...

I could be incorrect tho

edabbs44
04-12-2007, 09:22 PM
Josh Hamilton as the 5th starter???? Hamilton as the new GM??? Hamilton for closer??

No one should be rearranging the roster for this guy. Sure he needs ABs, but picture Hamilton like Bailey. No one wants to rush Homer, but we're ready to revamp the starting lineup in less than 2 weeks for a guy who is been above AA for that same time period. Remember how Ross basically pushed LaRue and Javy to the eternal pine last season? Now it's Ross' time as the whipping boy. Things change awful quick in this game.

Let Hamilton play 3 or 4 time per week max, for now. Then, if possible, move someone at the deadline if Hamilton forces the FO's hand. This guy has a bright future ahead of him and he should be treated with more caution than anybody else in the organization. I'm sorry to say it but there is still a large risk with him and, if he gets too big in Cincinnati too fast, you never know what could happen. He's got a lot more on the line than just his baseball career.

AtomicDumpling
04-12-2007, 09:59 PM
I vote for Hamilton in centerfield and Freel as the super-utility man all over the field. This is all assuming Hamilton can continue to play well over the long haul. That is a big assumption considering his total lack of experience.

Hamilton has got me very excited. I hope he can keep his nose out of trouble because I think he can be a special player.

Willy
04-12-2007, 10:13 PM
He has to play until he proves he is not one of our best 9 players. Right now he is one of our best 9.

jmcclain19
04-12-2007, 11:20 PM
Josh Hamilton for Pope

jmac
04-13-2007, 12:15 AM
JH just adds to the 4 spots for 3 players scenario this team has had so much of recently.
since about 4-5 years ago we have had :

Dunn-Griffey-Juan Encarnacion..........Austin Kearns
Dunn- Griffey- Kearns....... Jose Guillen
Dunn-Griff- Kearns ........ Wily Mo
Dunn- Griff- Freel......Hamilton

vic715
04-13-2007, 01:05 AM

I suggested that in a thread about three weeks ago and you'd have thought that I'd kicked someones dog. There are posters on this board who believe EE is the second coming of Brooks Robinson.He led all 3rd baseman in errors last year and most of them were throwing errors. Puting him on 1st would eliminate that. It worked for Tony Perez.Freel has and can play 3rd as well as EE.In 1975 Sparky put Pete on 3rd so Foster could play everyday and the result was pretty nice.

jmcclain19
04-13-2007, 01:11 AM
I don't mean to be a downer or a killjoy, but FYI - Chris Shelton in April last year (A Rule V pick himself) looked like the second coming of Babe Ruth all month. By the end of the summer he was in AAA.

Not that Hamilton doesn't have oodles of talent and excites the heck of me with his potential - just keep that in the back of your mind when anointing him franchise savior after 10 major league at bats.

Razor Shines
04-13-2007, 01:17 AM
Josh Hamilton as the 5th starter???? Hamilton as the new GM??? Hamilton for closer??

No one should be rearranging the roster for this guy. Sure he needs ABs, but picture Hamilton like Bailey. No one wants to rush Homer, but we're ready to revamp the starting lineup in less than 2 weeks for a guy who is been above AA for that same time period. Remember how Ross basically pushed LaRue and Javy to the eternal pine last season? Now it's Ross' time as the whipping boy. Things change awful quick in this game.

Let Hamilton play 3 or 4 time per week max, for now. Then, if possible, move someone at the deadline if Hamilton forces the FO's hand. This guy has a bright future ahead of him and he should be treated with more caution than anybody else in the organization. I'm sorry to say it but there is still a large risk with him and, if he gets too big in Cincinnati too fast, you never know what could happen. He's got a lot more on the line than just his baseball career.

I said it during spring training, Josh Hamilton's situation is different. It's different than David Ross having possibly a flash in the pan season, and his spring training was different than a Tony Womack having a great spring training one year. Josh Hamilton is an extraordinary talent, reportedly the most talent of his generation. It means more that he's started off hot than David Ross's great half of a season. He's different than Homer Bailey, one because Homer is a pitcher, but also because Homer doesn't have the talent that Josh has. Homer wasn't even the most talented guy in his draft class, not to say that he's not talented just not on Hamilton's level, but few are.

The part about his off the field stuff, you're right they do need to be careful with that though. But I don't know how much that should translate to playing time, they just need to have someone keeping an eye on him off the field. And by all reports they do.

Jpup
04-13-2007, 01:26 AM
I'm not sure what is wrong with Scott Hatteberg at first base. :confused:

redsrule2500
04-13-2007, 03:30 AM
I'm not sure what is wrong with Scott Hatteberg at first base. :confused:

I was thinking the same thing...

EddieMilner
04-13-2007, 08:28 AM
its probably his low OBP.;)

UK Brian
04-13-2007, 12:43 PM

Dunn.

deltachi8
04-13-2007, 12:59 PM

and make the defense much worse.

If an OF would have to move to first, it would be Dunn, IMHO.

However, I think the Reds will have no problem getting Hamilton ABs given the injury histories of Griffey and Freel.

deltachi8
04-13-2007, 01:01 PM

he did throw 97 in high school.

redsfan4445
04-13-2007, 01:04 PM
with his cannon arm, him being at 1st would be the biggest waste to the outfield defense

George Anderson
04-13-2007, 08:49 PM
No way should Hamilton play first base. Hamilton doesnt need to spend this year concentrating on learning to play a new position, he needs to focus on showing that he can hit MLB pitching. Lets keep it simple for Hamilton and keep his focus on hitting.

jmac
04-13-2007, 09:10 PM
I'm good with Hatte and Conine holding the spot for Joey Votto.

I agree on both fronts.
With our current lineup...we need Hatt/Conine.
Right now, I would play Freel vs the lefties for either JH or JR.
I dont mean platoon Jr by any means but give him an occasional off day(on a day a lefty goes). Also let Freel play for JH vs the exceptional lefties for awhile. If BP doesnt start hitting grounders and linedrives instead of swinging for fences, Freel could spot start for him also.
If a righty is on the mound, we need JH,JR,Dunn,Hatt,Javy all in lineup IMO.

dougflynn23
04-13-2007, 09:20 PM
Don't give up on EE that fast, put Dunn at 1st. Good idea, but I have it on an absolutely 100% reliable source (former Reds Baseball Operations person) that Dunn's willingness to sign an LTC last spring was contingent on his being promised he would not be moved out of the outfield.

vic715
04-14-2007, 03:47 AM
and make the defense much worse.

If an OF would have to move to first, it would be Dunn, IMHO.

However, I think the Reds will have no problem getting Hamilton ABs given the injury histories of Griffey and Freel.

EE led all 3rd basemen in the Majors last year in errors and played only about 2/3 of the season there. How could taking him off 3rd base make the defense any worse?

jhiller21
04-14-2007, 04:10 AM
Sending Hamilton to first is the last thing we want to do right now. I agree, Griffey or Dunn to first would better solve the outfield jam, but I'm more inclined to use Freel off the bench (and in the super-sub role) while playing Hamilton in center.

There's nothing wrong with Freel's speed off the bench, something it sorely lacks at the moment.