PDA

View Full Version : AGon on Bereavement List.

Ron Madden
04-12-2007, 05:52 PM
AGone has been placed on the Bereavement List.

He returned home today to attend to family matters.

He will be gone for at least three days. The Reds will make a roster move before game time Friday.

Per Trent.

cincrazy
04-12-2007, 05:54 PM
Phillips to SS for a game or two, Freel to 2nd, so Hamilton can play in center? That's how I solve the problem for the next few games...

Degenerate39
04-12-2007, 05:54 PM
Reds put Gonzalez on bereavement list

April 12, 2007

CINCINNATI (AP) -- Shortstop Alex Gonzalez will miss several games for the Cincinnati Reds, who placed him on the bereavement list Thursday.

Gonzalez left the team to attend to a family matter in Venezuela. He can stay on the bereavement list for up to one week. The Reds were off Thursday before opening a weekend series in Chicago.

Gonzalez is hitting .313 with three RBIs for the Reds, who signed him as a free agent in the offseason to improve their defense. He must stay on the bereavement list for a minimum of three days, meaning he will miss at least the first two games in Chicago.

The Reds planned to fill his roster spot before Friday's series opener at Wrigley Field.

reds44
04-12-2007, 05:56 PM
Phillips to SS for a game or two, Freel to 2nd, so Hamilton can play in center? That's how I solve the problem for the next few games...
That's what I would do, but I think we will see Castro at SS unfortunatley.

Degenerate39
04-12-2007, 05:57 PM

I hope that's what they do.

RedsManRick
04-12-2007, 06:07 PM
That's unfortunate. I would hope BP moves to SS, but I think we're going to see Castro get a few starts. Narron doesn't like to rock the boat, even if it would produce a more optimal lineup.

Jr's Boy
04-12-2007, 06:09 PM
Whats so wrong with Castro at short for a few games?

hebroncougar
04-12-2007, 06:11 PM

Putting Hamilton in the lineup, but leaving Freel in there improves the offense immensely, and that seems to be why the Reds have lost 3 or their last 4.

Patrick Bateman
04-12-2007, 06:11 PM

He can't hit and he can't field. He's about as bad an option as you could get at SS.

Mercifully he's only playing for a couple of games.

reds44
04-12-2007, 06:12 PM
He'd be paying over Freel, Phillips, or Hamilton.

What's not wrong with that?

Dunner44
04-12-2007, 06:31 PM
Castro will start at least one of those games ASSUMING he is healthy. He had flu-like symptoms in AZ according to the Post.

Another Arizona resident, infielder Juan Castro, was happy to be home, but it was tempered by the fact he was ill with flu-like symptoms. Still, Castro said, it was better to be sick at home rather than in a hotel.

I was listening to Milton's start on sunday, and Marty mentioned Jerry was on the record saying he wanted to get Castro a start in there. My hope is he starts one of the games and BP/Freel start the other... I'm assuming Castro was 100% since Jerry let him bat cleanup yesterday. But maybe he's not, and that was simply to light a fire under Edwin's rear end. If thats the case, maybe Castro won't play until Saturday or so. Horray for that.

jimbo
04-12-2007, 06:36 PM
He can't hit and he can't field. He's about as bad an option as you could get at SS.

Say what you want, but he has hit the ball pretty solid so far this season. And I think there are worse options at SS.

Patrick Bateman
04-12-2007, 06:39 PM
Say what you want, but he has hit the ball pretty solid so far this season. And I think there are worse options at SS.

He has hit the ball well so far, but we have enough evidence to suggest it wont continue.

jimbo
04-12-2007, 06:40 PM
He has hit the ball well so far, but we have enough evidence to suggest it wont continue.

We are only talking an extremely short-term solution.

redsfan30
04-12-2007, 06:48 PM
and he can't field.

:bang:

Patrick Bateman
04-12-2007, 06:52 PM

Give me a break. The guy has zero speed. Without some kind of ability to run, you can't play key defensive positions well. His range is horrid, which trumps his ability to cleanly field balls that do get to him.

Danny Serafini
04-12-2007, 06:53 PM
Could be an interesting callup. There isn't a SS on the 40 man available. The only position players who aren't already up or on the DL are Joey Votto and Chris Dickerson. Does Votto get a quick taste of the majors?

Patrick Bateman
04-12-2007, 06:54 PM
We are only talking an extremely short-term solution.

That's a valid point. If there is a time that he can hit decently over a 2-3 game spread, this is probably it. He is swinging the bat fairly well right now.

Chip R
04-12-2007, 06:54 PM
Sorry to hear this. Hopefully he can get everything taken care of as quickly as possible.

reds44
04-12-2007, 06:58 PM
Could be an interesting callup. There isn't a SS on the 40 man available. The only position players who aren't already up or on the DL are Joey Votto and Chris Dickerson. Does Votto get a quick taste of the majors?
Norris Hopper has been playing in games in Sarasota, and he could come of the DL.

It'll be interesting though.

Big Klu
04-12-2007, 07:02 PM
What are the injury status of Norris Hopper, Jeff Keppinger, and Jerry Gil? Could someone like Gil be activated for a couple of days, then be sent down to Louisville after Gonzalez returns?

Danny Serafini
04-12-2007, 07:52 PM
Norris Hopper has been playing in games in Sarasota, and he could come of the DL.

It'll be interesting though.

That could be the move if he's playing now. Reds.com has him going on the DL retroactive to March 23, so he's eligible now.

What are the injury status of Norris Hopper, Jeff Keppinger, and Jerry Gil? Could someone like Gil be activated for a couple of days, then be sent down to Louisville after Gonzalez returns?

Keppinger and Gil also are retroactive to March 23. Don't know if they're ready or not, but theoretically yes they could activate him and send him down two days later. In fact both these guys will likely be optioned the instant they come off of the DL. Which brings up another question, do they get Major League service time right now? I think they do, but I'm not positive.

DTCromer
04-12-2007, 09:35 PM

We had like 10 replies and no one said anything. That deserves a double :bang: :bang: .

I thought I was going to be the only one who would correct him.

TC81190
04-12-2007, 09:37 PM
Give me a break. The guy has zero speed. Without some kind of ability to run, you can't play key defensive positions well. His range is horrid, which trumps his ability to cleanly field balls that do get to him.

His range isn't horrid. It's decent. There are better. Don't let his bat blind you from his D.

AccordinglyReds
04-12-2007, 09:45 PM
I hope everything goes well for Gonzalez back home.

I would like to see Castro get a start in Chicago. He has been hitting the ball hard, and his defense is good. I'd take him over a call-up from the minors.

Doro
04-12-2007, 09:45 PM

Juan Castro cant field..........you cant be serious.

DTCromer
04-12-2007, 09:47 PM
That's a valid point. If there is a time that he can hit decently over a 2-3 game spread, this is probably it. He is swinging the bat fairly well right now.

He even said this after having seen Felipe Lopez and Royce Clayton in the field.

Patrick Bateman
04-12-2007, 10:31 PM
Juan Castro cant field..........you cant be serious.

I'm really not sure why everyone thinks he can field. He is around Clayton level, and only slightly above Felipe.

His ability to handle balls is well negated by his poor speed. If you are going to play up the middle, you need speed. Felipe was awful at fielding the balls, but he at least supllied some kind of speed. That's one thing he had over Castro.

Don't let his bat blind you from his D.

It's not. There is plenty of evidence to suggest that his lack of range makes him a very poor option at SS. This topic has been rehashed a million times. Use the search function, and you will find all the answers you need. He's Clayton bad. Again, very good on the balls he gets to, but simply does not get to enough balls to handle SS effectively. Speed is vastly important at SS. It's what seperates the boys from the men.

Doro
04-12-2007, 10:34 PM
I dont need the search function on this board to just feed back internet b.s. Your a fool.

Ron Madden
04-12-2007, 10:35 PM
Wow

Patrick Bateman
04-12-2007, 10:47 PM
I dont need the search function on this board to just feed back internet b.s. Your a fool.

Thanks champ.

What is is that makes you think Castro is a good fielder. Is it George Grande's constant usage of the nickname Golden hands. Or do you simply just like to follow what you here from everyone?

There is tons of statistical evidence to suggest that Castro is a very poor defensive SS. Usually statistical fielding measures can be flawed, but when basically every single one says the same thing, it's time to take notice.

Have you watched Casto in the field in recent seasons? I got to see Castro up close last season while in Cincy, and it was obvious that he doesn't have the speed to the play the position effectively.

Do you actually have a reasoned argument to come back with? If you have some kind of evidence that is contrary to what I am saying, I would love to hear it, because everything I have seen says he can't field. You calling me a fool isn't going to change my opinion on the matter, nor is it going to make me upset. If you at least tried I could more than respect that even I disagree with you. As of now, I'm not so impressed.

AtomicDumpling
04-12-2007, 10:48 PM
My guess is Mark Bellhorn will get the call-up. Exciting, isn't it?

The reason the Twins gave when they ditched Juan Castro was because they were dissatisfied with his defense. He has good hands and makes good throws, but his range is very poor. Kind of the opposite of Lopez. I think Castro will be a decent emergency fill-in, but he is even worse than Gonzo with the bat. Situations like this are the reason Castro is on the team.

On the day Milton pitches we can put Hamilton at short to get his bat in the lineup because all the hits will be flying way over his head anyway.:laugh:

flyer85
04-12-2007, 10:51 PM
I would be completely shocked if Castro doesn't play SS. If BP were to move to SS it would show there is no reason for Castro to even be on the team.

Ron Madden
04-12-2007, 10:54 PM
I would be completely shocked if Castro doesn't play SS. If BP were to move to SS it would prove there is no reason for Castro to even be on the team.

Fixed.

Doro
04-12-2007, 11:08 PM
tell me one fielding statistic that actually makes sense and no I dont listen to Grande.

One obvious arguement for Castro being able to pick it is why else would he be on a major league team? I'm sure your a lot better judge at defensive skills than people actually in the game.

jimbo
04-12-2007, 11:40 PM
I would be completely shocked if Castro doesn't play SS. If BP were to move to SS it would show there is no reason for Castro to even be on the team.

If Gonzalez had come up hurt and was going to miss significant time, then it would make all the sense in the world to move BP to short and Freel to 2nd. But we're talking two maybe three days here, moving BP over there with no time to prepare makes little sense. Especially considering Freel has not spent anytime at 2B since early last season.

It's almost comical how so many conspiracy theories evolve here out of such minor things.

Doro
04-12-2007, 11:56 PM
If Gonzalez had come up hurt and was going to miss significant time, then it would make all the sense in the world to move BP to short and Freel to 2nd. But we're talking two maybe three days here, moving BP over there with no time to prepare makes little sense. Especially considering Freel has not spent anytime at 2B since early last season.

It's almost comical how so many conspiracy theories evolve here out of such minor things.

I agree 100%

RedsManRick
04-13-2007, 12:00 AM
Josh Hamilton, shortstop.

Kc61
04-13-2007, 12:13 AM
Yeah, let's mess up the defense, put Freel in the infield (did he play infield all spring?) move Phillips to short, where he played two games all last season and did not look comfortable.

The obvious, correct move is to play Castro at shortstop and hit him eighth. Juan Castro, one of this board's most reviled players who fields everything he gets to and occasionally surprises with a big hit. And has had major league jobs for how many consecutive years?

Patrick Bateman
04-13-2007, 01:04 AM
One obvious arguement for Castro being able to pick it is why else would he be on a major league team? I'm sure your a lot better judge at defensive skills than people actually in the game.

Funny that you use that argument.

The Twins soured on him because of his awful defensive play, not just his hitting. The Twins seem to be in the game.

And why do you even bother with message boards if you basically just base your opinions on what the Reds do? If everyone here wasn't allowed to disagree with the Reds' moves, this place would be pretty boring.

It should be obvious by now that the Reds are not immune from doing stupid things. There's a reason they have been near the bottom of the standings the last 6 seasons.

jimbo
04-13-2007, 01:10 AM
If everyone here wasn'tallowed to disagree with the Reds' moves, this place would be pretty boring.

True, but on the same note it does get tiring with a select group here who believe their opinion is absolute and the rest of us have no clue.

And I don't mean this as directed to you.

Patrick Bateman
04-13-2007, 02:00 AM
True, but on the same note it does get tiring with a select group here who believe their opinion is absolute and the rest of us have no clue.

Very true. I am well aware that my opinion is worth an equal amount to everyone else and I wasn't trying to be arrogant(I understand you didn't feel this way, but in case anyone did), but if people are going to tell me I'm wrong and stupid, I'd like to see better evidence than a simple :bang: emoticon.

OesterPoster
04-13-2007, 06:17 AM
There is a worthwhile discussion within all the name calling in this thread. You just have to look for it.

With the gluttony of pitchers on this 25 man roster, Krivsky almost has to make a move to bring another infielder/outfielder up. Playing a couple games a man short with this already putrid "bench" really ties Narron's hands. Bellhorn played short the other night, and like others have said, Hopper is ready. If Hopper has all the desirable "options", I'd wager he'll be the callup.

redsmetz
04-13-2007, 08:30 AM
There is a worthwhile discussion within all the name calling in this thread. You just have to look for it.

With the gluttony of pitchers on this 25 man roster, Krivsky almost has to make a move to bring another infielder/outfielder up. Playing a couple games a man short with this already putrid "bench" really ties Narron's hands. Bellhorn played short the other night, and like others have said, Hopper is ready. If Hopper has all the desirable "options", I'd wager he'll be the callup.

I would agree that if Hopper has options, then he'd be logical. I thought about Bellhorn too, but realized he's not on the 40 man roster, so that is an added, and unnecessary, option. Dickerson would be a possibility too, particularly if Hopper can't be sent down without losing him. Of course, if that's the case, we'll have to cross that bridge sooner or later.

deltachi8
04-13-2007, 09:23 AM
I would think it is Hopper and when AGon is back, maybe Moeller is sent out. Just a thought.

Always Red
04-13-2007, 09:37 AM
I have no problem with Juan Castro as a utility, back-up, occasional infielder. I think he does an excellent job at that.

My only problem with the whole thing is I think WK is overpaying him for these occasional services.

Anyone know when Jeff Keppinger will be ready? He was hitting the ball well before he broke his hand (I think it was his hand). How is he in the field? I have no idea how Kepp's defense is. It'd be great to have a utility infielder who could also be the 5th OF'er....

thatcoolguy_22
04-13-2007, 09:43 AM
I think everyone is making a mountain out of a molehill. Bonzo Gonzo is going to miss a total of 5 games tops. We will be forced to bring up someone and freel is capable to play the infield on short notice IF NECESSARY. I agree that Hopper gets the call but We will more than likely watch Hopper ride the pine (possible pinch hitter/runner) and Castro (Little range has been stated but he is solid to balls hit to him) playing short. Also how many more balls in 1 GAME will Bonzo Gonzo get to than Castro. You have to be talking at the absolute most 2 per game and in reality you are talking 1 ball every other game. I do not see us losinig that much over a short span in this move.

I am more worried about (and yes it hurts me to say this) Bonzo's bat. He has been absolutely crushing since the beginning of the year and, when he comes back is he going to have a week or 2 to catch back up to speed. His glove will still be there when he returns but if his timing is off then we have a very good chance of losing his bat for the next 3 weeks or more...

REDREAD
04-13-2007, 10:10 AM

Yep, it's the safest bet you can make. Unless Castro is violently ill, he'll be the SS until Gonzales gets back.

Also, the Reds have to call up an infielder. Castro was the only backup infielder on the roster. Sure, Freel can be used in a pinch, but that leaves us with Conine being the only backup OF (IIRC).

REDREAD
04-13-2007, 10:14 AM
tell me one fielding statistic that actually makes sense and no I dont listen to Grande.

Just because the Reds gave Castro a job doesn't mean he deserves it.
I think most people believed that Danny Graves was finished when the Reds let him go, yet that didn't stop the Mets from trying him out. After he was a disaster with the Mets, didn't he continue to get chances to make other teams?

I think Castro has a job more because of off the field reasons. He's cheap, and he's apparently a good mentor to Edwin. I believe he also helped Lopez.
I'm sure he's a great guy, and I can see carrying him as the 25th man for those reasons. He wouldn't be my choice, but I can see the logic. That still doesn't make him even an average fielder though.

thatcoolguy_22
04-13-2007, 10:15 AM
according to Danny Serafini (redszoner) Enrique Cruz is getting the call

TOBTTReds
04-13-2007, 01:37 PM
His 7 month old son is ill. He is going to be out 4-7 days. Castro in at short. I hope everything turns out ok.

DTCromer
04-13-2007, 01:38 PM
God bless his son and I hope his son gets wells soon.

TOBTTReds
04-13-2007, 01:39 PM
Sorry, I see this was posted below.