PDA

View Full Version : Reds put Gonzalez on bereavement list

Degenerate39
04-12-2007, 05:56 PM
Reds put Gonzalez on bereavement list

April 12, 2007

CINCINNATI (AP) -- Shortstop Alex Gonzalez will miss several games for the Cincinnati Reds, who placed him on the bereavement list Thursday.

Gonzalez left the team to attend to a family matter in Venezuela. He can stay on the bereavement list for up to one week. The Reds were off Thursday before opening a weekend series in Chicago.

Gonzalez is hitting .313 with three RBIs for the Reds, who signed him as a free agent in the offseason to improve their defense. He must stay on the bereavement list for a minimum of three days, meaning he will miss at least the first two games in Chicago.

The Reds planned to fill his roster spot before Friday's series opener at Wrigley Field.

The_jbh
04-12-2007, 06:51 PM
Phillips plays SS, Freel plays 2B, Hamilton Plays CF?

2B Freel
CF Hamilton
LF Dunn
3B Encarnacion
RF Griffey
1B Hatteburg
SS Phillips
C Valentin

M2
04-12-2007, 06:53 PM

2B Freel
CF Hamilton
LF Dunn
3B Encarnacion
RF Griffey
1B Hatteburg
SS Phillips
C Valentin

I like that one.

Heath
04-12-2007, 06:53 PM

2B Freel
CF Hamilton
LF Dunn
3B Encarnacion
RF Griffey
1B Hatteburg
SS Phillips
C Valentin

I'll take that and twice on Sunday - except toss Conine in there on the LHP.

Josh Hamilton - enjoy your day in the sun.

Cyclone792
04-12-2007, 06:54 PM

2B Freel
CF Hamilton
LF Dunn
3B Encarnacion
RF Griffey
1B Hatteburg
SS Phillips
C Valentin

If that lineup actually happens, it'd likely be the best one we'd see all season from an offensive standpoint.

Falls City Beer
04-12-2007, 06:55 PM
That lineup jbh posted will never happen.

Heath
04-12-2007, 06:59 PM
If that lineup actually happens, it'd likely be the best one we'd see all season from an offensive standpoint.

Is there a way we can channel Jerry Narron?

Chip R
04-12-2007, 07:06 PM
That lineup jbh posted will never happen.

The man is right. They don't want Phillips playing SS unless it's an emergency. It'll be Castro at SS.

redsmetz
04-12-2007, 07:47 PM
My guess is they call up Marchado or Bellhorn for the temporary assignment.

Edit: I forgot about the 40 man roster - neither is on it and it would be too much of a problem to add them. It might well be one of the folks on the DL right now, but they may also bring up an outfielder who's on the 40 man (Dickerson or someone like that, if the DL guys aren't ready).

Always Red
04-12-2007, 08:20 PM
The man is right. They don't want Phillips playing SS unless it's an emergency. It'll be Castro at SS.

Write it down...

KronoRed
04-12-2007, 08:21 PM

Yep, they could have put Phillips at SS this off season and gone after a 2nd baseman, they didn't, the Phillips to SS boat has sailed.

Caveat Emperor
04-12-2007, 08:33 PM
Edit: I forgot about the 40 man roster - neither is on it and it would be too much of a problem to add them. It might well be one of the folks on the DL right now, but they may also bring up an outfielder who's on the 40 man (Dickerson or someone like that, if the DL guys aren't ready).

Even with Gonzalez unavailable, they still have 2 players on the roster who can play SS (Phillips, Castro), 3 players who can play 2B (Phillips, Castro, and Freel) 4 players who can play 3B (Freel, Conine - in theory, Castro, and Encarnacion), and 4 players who can play 1B (Hatteberg, Conine, Valentin and Dunn).

They're not really in a defensive squeeze at this point, so they're pretty much free to bring anyone they want to the 25-man. I think Chris Dickerson is the likely culprit, if for no other reason than he gives greater flexibility with the use of Ryan Freel in the infield. Freel and Hamilton are the only two players on the current roster who can play center -- adding Dickerson would give them a third option there, if needed, and would give Narron more flexibility with late-inning double switches.

Dickerson doesn't bring a lot to the plate, though. The team might be better off, from a bench standpoint, having Votto up, but Votto has only 1 natural position and would be almost certainly limited to a pinch-hit only role if he came north.

Of course, what all this analysis really means is that they'll recall Norris Hopper from the DL and just bring him up anyway.

GAC
04-12-2007, 08:47 PM
Since we are only talking of 4-5 games, and for middle defense purposes, I'd rather see the Castro-Phillips combo over a Phillips-Freel one. Phillips hasn't played SS in at least 6 years. And it is not necessarily like "riding a bicycle". His natural position is 2B, where he is comfortable, and that's where he should stay IMO. Don't start jerking people around, playing too many out of position, when you don't have to.

I'm not a huge Castro fan, as far as his bat; but Gonzo isn't known for his either. His "forte" has been his defense. That's the main reason Krivsky signed him. Pretty much the same with Castro. Castro is a bench player. Give him the start for the next few games, and then put him back on the bench.

I understand Freel has played multiple positions, but he is an OFer by trade. He's a shaky 2Bman IMO.

redsmetz
04-12-2007, 09:32 PM
Regarding Votto, I don't think we want to start his arbitration clock for a temporary thing. I think you're right about Dickerson - he's on the 40 man. I'm questioning now whether it will be a DL guy because then we're stuck with them on the roster, rather than buying some rehab time.

TC81190
04-12-2007, 09:35 PM
Since we are only talking of 4-5 games, and for middle defense purposes, I'd rather see the Castro-Phillips combo over a Phillips-Freel one. Phillips hasn't played SS in at least 6 years. And it is not necessarily like "riding a bicycle". His natural position is 2B, where he is comfortable, and that's where he should stay IMO. Don't start jerking people around, playing too many out of position, when you don't have to.

I'm not a huge Castro fan, as far as his bat; but Gonzo isn't known for his either. His "forte" has been his defense. That's the main reason Krivsky signed him. Pretty much the same with Castro. Castro is a bench player. Give him the start for the next few games, and then put him back on the bench.

I understand Freel has played multiple positions, but he is an OFer by trade. He's a shaky 2Bman IMO.

Phillips did start out as a SS and it's not that much of a departure from 2B. He'd be alright.

Heath
04-12-2007, 09:41 PM
Why don't we just bring Home Bailey up for a game, and then send him back down. At least do something out of the ordinary.

deltachi8
04-12-2007, 09:51 PM
Phillips hasn't played SS in at least 6 years. And it is not necessarily like "riding a bicycle". His natural position is 2B, where he is comfortable, and that's where he should stay IMO.

Actually, Phillips natural position is shortstop. He got passed by Peralta in Cleveland. He played SS most of his Minor league career, and played it quite well.

Danny Serafini
04-12-2007, 10:15 PM
Regarding Votto, I don't think we want to start his arbitration clock for a temporary thing.

I wouldn't worry about arb time, he'll only rack up 3 or 4 days worth. The chances of that coming back to bite the Reds are very, very low.

Mainspark
04-12-2007, 10:16 PM
I agree that they're unlikely to move Phillips to short to accomodate such a short-term vacancy. I'll be shocked if Gonzalez isn't back in the lineup by early next week.

reds44
04-12-2007, 10:26 PM
Phillips did start out as a SS and it's not that much of a departure from 2B. He'd be alright.
He played a game or two at SS last year didn't he?

reds44
04-12-2007, 10:41 PM
Thursday, April 12, 2007
Gonzalez out

The Reds placed shortstop Alex Gonzalez on the bereavement list. He miss at least three days and maximum of seven. He returned to attend to a family matter in Venezuela (he has a sick child).

The Reds will make a roster move before tomorrow's game. The only two middle infielders on the 40-man not on the 25-man are hurt (Jerry Gil and Jeff Keppinger). My guess is it will be Norris Hopper, if his heel's OK and he played both games of the doubleheader yesterday. He came up as a second baseman. Juan Castro will likely get the starts at SS Gonzalez misses.

It's cold and Chicago is living up to the Windy City tag. Hopefully, it will be a little nicer tomorrow. If the weather doesn't change, it will be a lot like the last five games of the homestand -- in other words, very un-Arizona-like.
fay

Caveat Emperor
04-12-2007, 11:02 PM
Hope Gonzo's kid is OK. If he's taking bereavement time off, it has to be more than just a case of the sniffles.

:(

RedEye
04-13-2007, 01:40 AM

2B Freel
CF Hamilton
LF Dunn
3B Encarnacion
RF Griffey
1B Hatteburg
SS Phillips
C Valentin

You read my mind. Hope you read Narron's too!

puca
04-13-2007, 07:29 AM
There is a reason Phillips is no longer a SS and Freel is no longer a 2b. Whether their defensive shortcomings are real or imagined, its obvious how Narron/Krivsky feel. Baring injury Castro will play everyday at SS while Gonzalez is gone, mark it down.

puca
04-13-2007, 07:36 AM
He played a game or two at SS last year didn't he?

Actually I viewed the fact that he only played a game or two at SS last year as the writing on the wall. When management feels it is a better option to run Royce Clayton out everyday at SS...well I think that says it all.

GAC
04-13-2007, 07:55 AM
Actually, Phillips natural position is shortstop. He got passed by Peralta in Cleveland. He played SS most of his Minor league career, and played it quite well.

He started out as a SS yes. I'm not disavowing that. But again, he hasn't played the position on a regular basis in close to 6 years. He's been a 2Bman his entire ML career, beginning with Cleveland. There is no need to jerk the guy out of what is now his natural position for 3-5 days when they can play Castro at SS for that brief period.

Your middle defense is far better with a Castro-Phillips combo then a Phillips-Freel IMO.

Caseyfan21
04-13-2007, 08:03 AM
Don't they still need a starter Sunday, or has it been officially announced as Lohse? One start in 40 degree weather at Wrigley, great time for Homer's debut.

BuckU
04-13-2007, 09:14 AM
I think they may activate Keppinger since he was pretty close anyway. What happenes after Gonzalez comes back would be anybody's guess.

But I wouldn't be surprised to see Keppinger stay on the roster at maybe Moeller's expense. If I'm correct Kep is out of options and KC DFA'd him and then Krivsky traded for him. I doubt Krivsky would go and DFA him again.

deltachi8
04-13-2007, 09:35 AM
He started out as a SS yes. I'm not disavowing that. But again, he hasn't played the position on a regular basis in close to 6 years. He's been a 2Bman his entire ML career, beginning with Cleveland. There is no need to jerk the guy out of what is now his natural position for 3-5 days when they can play Castro at SS for that brief period.

Your middle defense is far better with a Castro-Phillips combo then a Phillips-Freel IMO.

GAC - I don't think they should move Phillips for a short term solution either. If AGon was out for a couple months, yes.

FWIW, Phillips as late as 2005 was playing SS in AAA on a regular basis.

klw
04-13-2007, 10:13 AM
Why don't we just bring Home Bailey up for a game, and then send him back down. At least do something out of the ordinary.

Because while he has good range to his left, he has bad technique in turning two. :)

klw
04-13-2007, 10:17 AM
And the call goes to Enrique Cruz- per Reds Live

TODAY'S TRANSACTIONS: Prior to today's game the Reds selected from Class AA Chattanooga the contract IF Enrique Cruz...he takes the 25-man roster spot of SS Alex Gonzalez, who yesterday went on the bereavement list, and the 40-man roster spot of OF Chris Denorfia (right elbow surgery), who was transferred to the 60-day disabled list...Cruz will wear uniform number 48.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56680
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56679

Jaycint
04-13-2007, 10:22 AM
Baring injury Castro will play everyday at SS while Gonzalez is gone, mark it down.

Yep, write it down in caligraphy. I will fall out of my chair if Castro doesn't start every game at SS during Gonzo's absence. Sad really.

Thoughts and prayers to Gonzo's child, I hope everything is okay...

REDREAD
04-13-2007, 01:40 PM
As someone else pointed out though, if Castro doesn't start in a situation like this, then there's no point in having him on the roster.

It's obvious that Narron and Wayne still love Castro. He will start every game at SS until Gonzales gets back (barring injury, of course).

redsfan30
04-13-2007, 01:45 PM
Alex's seven month old son is in the hosipital in critical condition.

Prayers go out to Alex and his family.

KronoRed
04-13-2007, 01:47 PM
Prayers for the kid :(