PDA

View Full Version : Should Griffey or Dunn be moved to first base? (TWO CHOICES IN POLL)

WMR
04-12-2007, 10:16 PM
Two parter: First off, should it be done and secondly which would you choose?

I say Yes and that it should be Dunner.

Stick Griffey in LF, Hammy in CF, and Freel in RF with Dunner at 1B and you'd really have something.

Mainspark
04-12-2007, 10:22 PM
I put Hamilton in center, move Freel to third and put EE on first.

jojo
04-12-2007, 10:22 PM
Two parter: First off, should it be done and secondly which would you choose?

I say Yes and that it should be Dunner.

Stick Griffey in LF, Hammy in CF, and Freel in RF with Dunner at 1B and you'd really have something.

Yes and they can make Votto their DH.... :cool:

reds44
04-12-2007, 10:23 PM
That would weaken your defense.

Edwin's been a vacuum at 3rd this year. Him, Seabass, and BP are great.

edabbs44
04-12-2007, 10:24 PM
I'd wait to see if Hamilton is completely for real in 2007. Kevin Maas says hello.

WMR
04-12-2007, 10:24 PM
To answer your implied question/statement jojo, I'm viewing this as only for this season. Once Votto demonstrates he is big league ready and comes to Cincinnati, further adjustments would necessarily be made.

WMR
04-12-2007, 10:25 PM
That would weaken your defense.

Edwin's been a vacuum at 3rd this year. Him, Seabass, and BP are great.

Yah, Edwin's going to win multiple GG's at 3B b/f his career is through.

WMR
04-12-2007, 10:26 PM
I'd wait to see if Hamilton is completely for real in 2007. Kevin Maas says hello.

Even if his offense tapers off, I still say you're going to be way better off in the long run with my proposed changes. Get Hamilton much needed ABs and the defense is MUCH better.

(And I totally disagree with that 'Dunn can't play 1st' bunk. I've seen him do it and he's more than capable over there)

Always Red
04-12-2007, 10:28 PM

Trade Freel, keep EE on third (he's playing excellent defense this year thus far), and bring Votto up by the ASB, especially if the Reds are out of it. Conine and Hatte can hold the job down until he's ready.

Freel is a favorite here in Cincinnati, but he is an undisciplined ballplayer. His best worth is as a supersub for a team like the Yanks, Mets, or Bosox. I'd try to get a good young reliever and a catching prospect for him.

redsmetz
04-12-2007, 10:29 PM
As unpopular as it is around here, I think the platoon of Hatteberg and Conine this year is fine. I'm not adverse to moving Freel back to the super-sub role he's had in recent years if Hamilton keeps playing the way he has the last few game (and I acknowledge that's definitely an "if" there). Leave Dunn and Griffey where they are.

edabbs44
04-12-2007, 10:30 PM
Even if his offense tapers off, I still say you're going to be way better off in the long run with my proposed changes. Get Hamilton much needed ABs and the defense is MUCH better.

(And I totally disagree with that 'Dunn can't play 1st' bunk. I've seen him do it and he's more than capable over there)

I agree, but I'd rather see someone get traded (Griffey/Freel, if possible) after the ASB and have Votto take Hatte's spot than just moving Dunn to 1st.

They need to take it slow with this guy. He could end up in the all-star game or in rehab again. He's two weeks into his major league career. No need to revamp the lineup for him.

jojo
04-12-2007, 10:30 PM
To answer your implied question/statement jojo, I'm viewing this as only for this season. Once Votto demonstrates he is big league ready and comes to Cincinnati, further adjustments would necessarily be made.

It wasn't a question/statement.....I was being snarky/sarcastic.....

:cool:

My real point was that Griffey should've been at first two years ago, Dunn has already turned the job down and Narron can only pick on the little kids...

Degenerate39
04-13-2007, 12:20 AM
If it wasn't for Votto coming up next year then I would say Dunn but since Votto will be up sooner or later then my answer is neither of them should be at first.

WVPacman
04-13-2007, 01:35 AM
As of right now I think it should stay as is with Hatti and Conine even thow Hamilton should play more b/c he has been tearing it up in the last two games.If I had to pick one to play first then I would have to say Griffey b/c Dunn has really improved thus far in left and It would mess him up.

jmac
04-13-2007, 02:19 AM

I think to "see" as you say, will take AB's which WMR was suggesting a way to get him in line-up.
Also... I hope Votto tears it up in Louisville and "is" the man for Cincy but for all wanting him up now....I am more inclined to see him put up #'s in louisville first. He's not exactly off to blazing start yet :

27 ab's 222 avg 7 k's

Not saying he wont turn it on ......but let's not rush him till he hits the AAA pitchers.

Topcat
04-13-2007, 04:49 AM
I pick Griffey due to fact he will more than likely not be pleased thus traded and in the long term that is best for him and the new way the Red's are being reconstructed.

jojo
04-13-2007, 06:24 AM
I pick Griffey due to fact he will more than likely not be pleased thus traded and in the long term that is best for him and the new way the Red's are being reconstructed.

Griffey is untradeable.

Johnny Footstool
04-13-2007, 10:39 AM
Griffey at 1B would stay healthier a lot longer than Griffey in RF, IMO.

Benihana
04-13-2007, 10:43 AM
may I introduce you to...

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1262231#post1262231

GAC
04-13-2007, 11:11 AM
Griffey's next move will be outside the organization. And as much as I like the guy, for the sake of this team/organization, I hope it's after next season and they don't pick up the option for '09 for 4 mil.

And while I'm not against a Dunn move at some point in the future, where does Votto play since he has only played 1B?

Benihana
04-13-2007, 11:23 AM
If they can't get a decent return for Freel in a trade, I say play Griffey at 1B for the rest of this year, and see if you can move Freel in the offseason. If you can, Grif goes back to RF. Either way, Hamilton should be the starting CF from now on. Votto will be the starting 1B next season, so that leaves Grif and Freel as the final two pieces of the puzzle. I wouldn't move Dunn because he (hopefully) a long term future with the team (along with Hamilton and Votto). Griffey and Freel on the other hand, do not.

KronoRed
04-13-2007, 12:35 PM
Griffey is untradeable.

Sure he is, if we pay 98% of the contract :D

deltachi8
04-13-2007, 01:56 PM
I voted Dunn to first for now. However, i am not completely sold on Hamilton as of yet, but hope I will be.

If Hamilton can continue to play well into July and the team is in contention, I would like the team to see what it can get for Freel or Votto to make a real run.

RedsManRick
04-13-2007, 02:28 PM
If you don't have Joey Votto, sure move Dunn to 1B. That said, you do have Joey Votto and he's not playing anywhere but 1B.

At some point this season, Votto comes up and takes Hats spot in the 1B platoon, taking over full time 2008. Hamilton can take Freel's spot in CF full time if he proves capable. Having Freel as a supersub again would be a positive move for everybody.

WebScorpion
04-13-2007, 02:51 PM
Frankly, I like the 1st base platoon. The only way I'd sit them and their considerable veteran presence is if a first base prospect (Joey Votto) knocks the door down. All I hear right now is a really faint knocking off in the distance somewhere...I may have even imagined it.

As far as the OF goes, I like the fact that Dunner has worked to improve his D, Griffey is a plus defender in right, and I'd keep Roy Hobbs in center until he shows signs of being overmatched. (like, never.) I have never been convinced that Freel is an every day player. I think he's actually a better player if he's forced to take days off. IMHO, he's perfectly suited to the supersub role and can get more than enough playing time at 2B, 3B, LF, CF, RF. Maybe he should try some bullpen catching just in case... ;)

jojo
04-13-2007, 03:24 PM
Griffey is a plus defender in right

I disagree with this part of your statement. Griffey is no longer a plus defender period if by plus defender you're suggesting he's above average defensively relative to the league.

At this point, I'm skeptical that he'd even be a plus DH.

LINEDRIVER
04-14-2007, 02:19 PM
Can you imagine Dunn at 1B?? Hard grounders and hard one-hoppers would eat him alive. Griffey would be worn out from running in to field all the balls that got thru Dunn's legs. The Reds would lead the NL in unearned runs allowed.

Griff at 1B? I can see him doing a better job than Dunn, but not by a big margin.

TC81190
04-14-2007, 02:59 PM
It wasn't a question/statement.....I was being snarky/sarcastic.....

:cool:

My real point was that Griffey should've been at first two years ago, Dunn has already turned the job down and Narron can only pick on the little kids...

Last time I checked, a player can't "turn down" where he plays on the field.

jojo
04-14-2007, 06:42 PM
Last time I checked, a player can't "turn down" where he plays on the field.

Then why isn't Dunn playing first?

jmac
04-14-2007, 06:59 PM
Frankly, I like the 1st base platoon. The only way I'd sit them and their considerable veteran presence is if a first base prospect (Joey Votto) knocks the door down. All I hear right now is a really faint knocking off in the distance somewhere...I may have even imagined it.

I dont think you imagined the knock but you were correct...it is in the distance somewhere.

KronoRed
04-14-2007, 09:47 PM
Then why isn't Dunn playing first?

Because Dan O went and signed Hatteberg

jojo
04-14-2007, 09:50 PM
Because Dan O went and signed Hatteberg

But why did Dan O sign Hattieberg?

mth123
04-14-2007, 09:53 PM
Krivsky signed Hatte. IMO He did it because Dunn was awful at 1B and Pena was awful in the OF and he didn't want to play the season that way. The Pena for Arroyo trade was a happy side effect.

KronoRed
04-14-2007, 10:03 PM
Ahh my mistake, thought it was a Dan O move.