PDA

View Full Version : What's the routine of the Cincinnati REDS' starters?

Eric_Davis
04-12-2007, 11:02 PM
Being from Portland, I don't have an opportunity to know about the routines of the starters.

Has this new regime of pitching coaches changed what they do between starts?

Are they more like what Leo Mazzone did with the Braves?....having them throw often between starts?

I do think pitchers are too babied, and that's the biggest reason for all the injuries. I think they need to throw more, not less.

rotnoid
04-12-2007, 11:58 PM
Good question. I'm right there with you, more throwing, less weight training. Too much stress on the joints.

Doro
04-13-2007, 12:38 AM
Almost all MLB teams follow the same routine in between starts.

1st day after start: toss to loosen up the stiffness
2nd day: no throwing, possible band workouts or weights (not the traditional weight training that would come to mind)
3rd day: toss and more workouts
4th day: bullpen session

I agree with Eric_Davis that pitchers are babied here in the states. The Asian and Gulf teams have been known to throw a lot... especially when younger. Dice-K is a great example of this.... he throws a ton. In between starts, before starts, and has been known to toss in between innings while in Japan. I would also say the Asian pitchers have better mechanics for the most part. They all have a stable core with great balance which leads to a consistant arm slot. Of course you can find great mechanic pitchers here and bad mechanic pitchers there but as a whole this seems to be the trend.

Redsland
04-13-2007, 07:05 PM
Being from Portland, I don't have an opportunity to know about the routines of the starters.
Here's (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/nl/brewers/2006-05-11-davis-offday_x.htm) an article from last year about how Doug Davis goes about it.

To summarize:

Day 0: Pitch a game.

Day 1: Massage, cardio (bike and elliptical), upper-body weights, shag flies.

Day 2: Hot/cold whirlpool, long toss, 14-minute (60-pitch) bullpen session, shag flies, lower-body weights, resistance, ice down and electrical stimulation. Begin to study next opponent.

Day 3: Physical work tapers off, specific preparation for next opponent begins. Lunges with weights, elliptical, long-toss, throw 10-15 pitches from flat ground, shag flies. Watch video of next opponent.

Day 4: Lightest physical workday. Lots of video. Shag flies. Chart pitches of today's game (most teams don't do this). Light exercise. Mostly mental preparation.

Day 5: Watch more video, stretch with trainers, warm up half-hour prior to game.

Eric_Davis
04-13-2007, 11:34 PM
All very interesting. Davis is one that gives you 200 innings every year and doesn't seem to get injured.