PDA

View Full Version : over 140 players to wear 42

thatcoolguy_22
04-13-2007, 10:16 AM
I just heard on Mike and Mike in the morning that over 140 players including 3 entire teams will be wearing number 42 for the Robinson Anniversary.

My question; Is this taking it too far and possibly watering down the significance?

MO I think there should only be 1 black player from each team wearing 42. Entire teams? I'm not entirely sure I agree. I like the sentiment expressed but I believe that the entire message will not be delivered. However when an entire team is wearing 42 then some younger kids might ask their parents why? Allowing the parents the opportunity to educate. So I can see the point.

Nevermind, I'm not really sure how I feel about this. Discuss.

Joseph
04-13-2007, 10:18 AM
The Dodgers should all wear 42 that day, no question. Other than that, I'm more inclined to think one player per team.

I think Cleveland should have a player wear 42 and one wear Doby's number [I'm assuming its retired in Cleveland.].

Funny thing is, Houston is one of the teams with all players wearing the numbers.....why you might ask?

Because they have no african american players on their roster.

thatcoolguy_22
04-13-2007, 10:22 AM
how about every team's 2nd basemen wear #42 to signify that jackie is still out there since that is the position he mostly played...

dabvu2498
04-13-2007, 10:23 AM
Funny thing is, Houston is one of the teams with all players wearing the numbers.....why you might ask?

Because they have no african american players on their roster.

Interesting. Quick review of their roster shows only 3 Latin players.

Cecil Cooper is their bench coach, however.

Reverend Doo-Rag
04-13-2007, 10:37 AM
Why don't they just rename baseball "Jackie Robinson" and get it over with?

Are we going to try to outdo ourselves every year?

Jackie Robinson was a great person and player and all that, but enough is enough. Lets leave some dignity in the story.

Joseph
04-13-2007, 10:40 AM

Jackie Robinson was a great person and player and all that, but enough is enough. Lets leave some dignity in the story.

See, I think Junior was trying to give it some dignity, and baseball yet again found a way to mess it up in some context.

JaxRed
04-13-2007, 10:42 AM
One player doing it was kind of cool. Everyone doing it is kind of stupid. And, no it shouldn't only be black players.

RBA
04-13-2007, 10:43 AM
I don't see a problem if their was a non-black player wearing Jackie Robinson's number. Why does the person have to be black to honor him by wearing his number? And I don't see a problem with the whole team wearing his number.

thatcoolguy_22
04-13-2007, 10:48 AM
I don't see a problem if their was a non-black player wearing Jackie Robinson's number. Why does the person have to be black to honor him by wearing his number? And I don't see a problem with the whole team wearing his number.

lol now that it has been spoken aloud it doesn't make sense for only black people to be wearing 42. I stand by my earlier post that all 2nd basemen should wear it or only select players. Entire teams??? geesh

blumj
04-13-2007, 10:49 AM
For one thing, if everyone on the team is wearing the same number, it could get a little confusing for the announcers and the official scorer.

macro
04-13-2007, 11:00 AM
For one thing, if everyone on the team is wearing the same number, it could get a little confusing for the announcers and the official scorer.

I had that thought, too. If numbers aren't necessary for the identification of players, then why have them in the first place?

Farney
04-13-2007, 11:06 AM

I agree Doo-Rag. I honestly think an entire team wearing the number 42 is the most rediculous thing Ive ever heard, and thought it was a joke the first time I heard about it.

Roy Tucker
04-13-2007, 11:07 AM
One player doing it was kind of cool. Everyone doing it is kind of stupid. And, no it shouldn't only be black players.

I agree.

And the one player should be a high character guy. If Bonds wore it, my head would blow up.

dabvu2498
04-13-2007, 11:31 AM
When Bonds wears it, my head will blow up.

Fixed that for ya.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070409154229AAHu5je

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070410&content_id=1890656&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Doro
04-13-2007, 11:49 AM
I think MLB took a good idea and messed it up. I'm with Torri Hunter on this. I think maybe each team should vote one player they think should represent #42.

Roy Tucker
04-13-2007, 11:52 AM
Fixed that for ya.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070409154229AAHu5je

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070410&content_id=1890656&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

:bang: :explode:

TRF
04-13-2007, 11:53 AM
I heard this on Mike & Mike this morning. I'll paraphrase:

So imagine you are at the game, and the entire team is wearing #42. your 10 year old son asks why. Now you explain it to him, and introduce him to one of the pivotal moments in not just sports history, but American history as well.

I thought they were dead on with that thought.

Baseball is unique in it's history. None of the other sports can claim their history is as interesting or as storied as MLB's It's intertwined with with our nation for over a century. FDR said during WWII that baseball should not be interrupted by the war effort. The NFL's current popularity not withstanding, It's baseball that has always been representative of America. It's baseball that set new standards. Breaking the color barrier the most significant one. But baseball has also held itself to a different standard. All sports have their "bad boys". But comparitively speaking, the MLB is pretty mild in comparison.

Of the four major sports, It's baseball that I want my son to look to for external role models. So he gets educated from time to time. Recently he read "My Turn at Bat." With no prompting from me, he just pulled it off the shelf and read it. I have some books on the Negro League that I am hoping he gets interested in.

What Jr. proposed has taken on a life of it's own. Why in the world anyone would complain about honoring Jackie Robinson is beyond me.

Reds-aholic
04-13-2007, 12:03 PM
They also mentioned another idea on the radio this morning. Why not have a player on each team, where the number of the first black player on each team? Since there were more than just Jackie Robinson who went through this.

2001MUgrad
04-13-2007, 12:33 PM
I think whole teams wearing 42 is a bit much.

Maybe 1 player from each team should wear 42 as a tribute, but entire teams. I just think that would be similar to having Christmas everyday. It wouldn't mean as much if anything at that point.

Caseyfan21
04-13-2007, 12:37 PM
They might as well just have every player in MLB wear it.

I can understand one player, that's pretty cool. And the Dodgers having an entire team wearing it is cool as well. But some of these other teams, like the Cards and Astros is ridiculous. I really hope these teams will auction off the jerseys after the game from every player and donate money made from those auctions to an African American serving charity.

Otherwise having 140 people wearing it is ridiculous.

Reverend Doo-Rag
04-13-2007, 01:43 PM
My prediction is that all players will be wearing 42 that day, due to a fear that those not wearing it will be considered racist.

So we go from 42 being retired to 140-ish wearing it.

KronoRed
04-13-2007, 02:06 PM
I think MLB took a good idea and messed it up. I'm with Torri Hunter on this. I think maybe each team should vote one player they think should represent #42.

Agreed, but I think Rev is right, all players will end up wearing the number by the time the date gets here

Nice work MLB

redsrule2500
04-13-2007, 02:25 PM
I think a retired number should be just that - retired.

This whole thing seems really stupid to me.

Yachtzee
04-14-2007, 12:45 AM
Sometimes I wonder if retiring it across the board has had the opposite effect of that which was intended. Before it was retired, a number of players would wear 42 in honor of Jackie Robinson and announcers would often comment on that, which would lead to a discussion of his significance in the game. Now that it is retired, I rarely hear discussion about it unless for some reason someone decides to talk about a team's retired numbers.

DontCopyMe
04-14-2007, 02:54 AM
Doesn't Houston still have Tavares, and isn't he black?