PDA

View Full Version : My Buddy is Throwing Out the First Pitch Today

EddieMilner
04-13-2007, 09:44 AM
I just got a phone call letting me know that my buddy is throwing out the first pitch at wrigley today. How cool is that?

George Anderson
04-13-2007, 09:49 AM
Is he someone important?

EddieMilner
04-13-2007, 09:52 AM
His name is Brian Murphy - him and his brother and step mom are owners of Murphy's Bleachers (bar right across from Wrigley Bleachers).

His dad (Jim) passed away a few years back and Brian (26 Years old) and his older Brother James (28 years old) took it over. Haven't run it into the ground yet.

George Anderson
04-13-2007, 09:56 AM
His name is Brian Murphy - him and his brother and step mom are owners of Murphy's Bleachers (bar right across from Wrigley Bleachers).

His dad (Jim) passed away a few years back and Brian (26 Years old) and his older Brother James (28 years old) took it over. Haven't run it into the ground yet.

I know "Murphy's Bleachers" well:beerme: Nothing like being able to finish a beer at Murphys, walk 30' across the street and your inside Wrigley.

EddieMilner
04-13-2007, 09:58 AM
they supposedly sell more bud light than any other bar in the country. At $6 a pop on game day, that =$$$$$

RedsManRick
04-13-2007, 10:00 AM
We really need to get all the Chicago people together for a game one of these days.... I know there's more than a few of us.

EddieMilner
04-13-2007, 10:01 AM
i'll be there on Saturday and Sunday.

Roy Tucker
04-13-2007, 10:01 AM
If I ever get to throw out the first pitch, I'd do it up right. No Mark Mallory t-ball throw.

Toe the rubber, wind up behind my head, big ole Juan Marichal leg kick, bow my back, and just air it out.

Probably blow out my baling wire and chewing gum shoulder to pieces, but it would be worth it.

EddieMilner
04-13-2007, 10:05 AM
If I ever get to throw out the first pitch, I'd do it up right. No Mark Mallory t-ball throw.

Toe the rubber, wind up behind my head, big ole Juan Marichal leg kick, bow my back, and just air it out.

Probably blow out my baling wire and chewing gum shoulder to pieces, but it would be worth it.

I would throw the sickest 68 mph slider they have ever seen. Who am I kidding more like 58 mph.

KittyDuran
04-13-2007, 10:48 AM
I throw like a girl...:evil:

LincolnparkRed
04-13-2007, 10:53 AM
The murphy's also own some of the rooftops around Wrigley and since they have to pay the cubs $$ on the rooftops this is more of a corporate sponsor getting to throw out the first pitch. Still cool but not as random as you would think.

Grounds_Crew
04-13-2007, 11:13 AM
Just be careful to not mess up the mound...at all...or you'll have some angry grounds crewman after ya'! Haha! At GABP, "Gapper" would often tease our head groundkeeper while we were watering the field before the game. "Gapper" would often try to drag his feet on the infield or around the plate, thus messing it up, so he got sprayed with the water hose...I mean soaked!

EddieMilner
04-13-2007, 11:17 AM
The murphy's also own some of the rooftops around Wrigley and since they have to pay the cubs $$ on the rooftops this is more of a corporate sponsor getting to throw out the first pitch. Still cool but not as random as you would think.

I usually throw a rooftop party on their roof every summer. Its a good time.

dougdirt
04-13-2007, 11:42 AM
Just be careful to not mess up the mound...at all...or you'll have some angry grounds crewman after ya'! Haha! At GABP, "Gapper" would often tease our head groundkeeper while we were watering the field before the game. "Gapper" would often try to drag his feet on the infield or around the plate, thus messing it up, so he got sprayed with the water hose...I mean soaked!

Should have gone after him with a bat. Gapper drives me freaking nuts and I hate him. [/end rant]

Red Leader
04-13-2007, 11:48 AM
Should have gone after him with a bat. Gapper drives me freaking nuts and I hate him. [/end rant]

Couldn't agree more. I'm still trying to figure out if its the guy inside the costume that drives me nuts, or the costume. In the end it's really a moot point, I just can't stand either of them.

KronoRed
04-13-2007, 11:56 AM
Mr.Red is worse

Weird bug eyes dude.

Grounds_Crew
04-13-2007, 11:59 AM
Wow, I'm really surprised that you guys don't like Gapper. We always thought he was hilarious. He does that "black girl booty shake"...and it works so well because the inside of his costume is make up of a big ring, like a hoolahoop. So, that's how it gets the big, fat, round shape to it.

The guy inside is actually pretty funny too...I guess that explains the characteristics of "gapper".

Oh well, to each his own.

Red Leader
04-13-2007, 12:05 PM
Mr.Red is worse

Weird bug eyes dude.

Seriously, if there is a spookier mascot on the planet, I haven't seen him.

Thus endeth my rant on the Reds mascots.

They should do away with all of them, except the new guy that looks like he ate a sheet of LSD. I kinda like that guy. :laugh:

Yachtzee
04-13-2007, 04:00 PM
They should do away with all of them, except the new guy that looks like he ate a sheet of LSD. I kinda like that guy. :laugh:

Duuuuuuuuude. Your legs are like, soooooo red. But how do I know the color red to you is the same color as the color red to me? Oh wait. Whoa, your head just totally turned into a spider!

kaldaniels
04-13-2007, 04:48 PM
Joe Mantenega just was shown throwing the first pitch...what is going on.

Redsland
04-13-2007, 06:26 PM

When Eddie Taubensee caught my ceremonial first pitch, he used a glove and everything, which I thought was very polite of him. :beerme:

Yachtzee
04-13-2007, 10:44 PM
Joe Mantenega just was shown throwing the first pitch...what is going on.

The Cubs often have multiple "first pitches." They'll have a bunch of "nobodies" come out before the "celebrity" first pitch to throw, then they bring on the celebrity.

CelticFC
07-21-2007, 11:00 PM
When Eddie Taubensee caught my ceremonial first pitch, he used a glove and everything, which I thought was very polite of him. :beerme:

Hate to bring up a dead topic, but I'm glad I found a post about Eddie. Being a kid who loved catchers, he was my favorite player growing up, and still is. My first reds game, My uncle somehow got me down near the dugout entrance where players came out. Some players nodded and gave autographs. Barry Larkin said he was "busy". Then Eddie came out. He was so nice, he signed my glove, then my 2 siblings gloves, then took a picture I still have with us. My dad thanked him, then he replied "It's no problem. Not many kids say I'm their favorite player..." He was pure class, I'm glad he was a Red.