PDA

View Full Version : With his stock possibly rising, will Reds trade Dunn?

cincrazy
04-13-2007, 11:36 PM
I posted a simliar thread over the winter about this topic, and thought it would be a good time to revisit the conversation.

Do the Reds trade Adam Dunn this season? Over the winter I asked if he would go in the offseason, and we obviously know the answer to that question (if you don't, you're not much of a Reds fan :D).

It's only a few weeks into the season, but Dunn has been routinely going the other way, and "hitting them where they ain't." For example, today's rbi single off of Zambrano.

He appears to have adopted a different and much more effective plan at the plate, and looks like he's heading for a career year, by all indications.

In this division, we're going to have to be flat out awful to completely be out of the race by July 31st, so trading Dunn would create serious backlash. But on the same hand, if he keeps hitting at this pace, his stock could very well never be higher, and we could possibly get a king's ransom for him. So, if the Reds are on the fringe of elimination, but close enough to where the casual fan would still consider them in the race and giving up on the season if they traded one of their best hitter's, would the Reds trade Dunn, even if it received several good player's in return?

It's a tough decision for a club to make. I'm sure they'd love to keep Dunn, but financially it will be very difficult, and with young player's such as Bruce and Stubbs on the horizon, along with Hamilton and any young player's that might be acquired in a trade of Dunn, the club may believe they can withstand the short term loss in production.

What are your opinions on this? Will the Reds try and sign Dunn long term? Will they let him play the year out without making any contract offers or trading him? Or will they make a risky move and trade him while his stock could be at an all time high in order to further add depth to the organization?

HumnHilghtFreel
04-13-2007, 11:45 PM
I hope they don't. When you're building a team, as we are, I see no good reason to trade away a guy who's still a young centerpiece. He'll be expensive, but Krivsky should do everything he can to keep him here. By the time the young guys are up, he'll also be a much needed veteran leader(at least from a playing time perspective)

2009- Dunn 29, Hamilton 27, Bruce 22. That's a good core outfield, with Hamilton and Bruce probably still being pretty cheap at that time.

fearofpopvol1
04-13-2007, 11:47 PM
I think the key really on this issue is Hamilton and his development. If he continues on pace with what he has done so far (which I think is somewhat of a longshot this year even though I hope I'm wrong), I think you have to entertain the idea. However, if the Reds are in serious contention...I don't see how they trade Dunn. Obviously they lose Milton's contract after this season which would make resigning Dunn an easier task. It's just a matter of how much the Reds will pony up and what terms he agrees to.

WVPacman
04-13-2007, 11:57 PM
No way should we trade Dunn,he is really the only legit homerun hitter that we have as of right now.We already traded Kearns,and Lopez off so I feel we need to keep Dunn b/c he is just now learning how to hit.If we would trade him then that would leave a monster hole in our lineup.We need to wait b/c I hope Griffey will be the one that goes so we can keep our youngsters in Dunn,Freel,Hamilton,and Bruce.

Degenerate39
04-13-2007, 11:58 PM
Dunn provides too much offense for the team to be traded.

WVPacman
04-14-2007, 12:11 AM
The real question should be is how we going to find a team to trade Griffey to?? who knows we could get a number three or four starting pitcher for him. We have to keep Dunn thow!!!

I must have been dreaming but I thought we signed Dunn to a three year contract in the off season.

cincrazy
04-14-2007, 12:48 AM
WVPacman, we hold a $13 million option for next year. Some have speculated that we don't want to pay it, although I don't think that's true, with Milton coming off of the books, it will make it much more reasonable. But either way, last season is the final season of the contract, so as the days and months go by, the situation will become more urgent.

WVPacman
04-14-2007, 12:54 AM
WVPacman, we hold a $13 million option for next year. Some have speculated that we don't want to pay it, although I don't think that's true, with Milton coming off of the books, it will make it much more reasonable. But either way, last season is the final season of the contract, so as the days and months go by, the situation will become more urgent.

Oh I see and I agree the longer this goes the more urgent it will be.

Razor Shines
04-14-2007, 01:25 AM
The real question should be is how we going to find a team to trade Griffey to?? who knows we could get a number three or four starting pitcher for him. We have to keep Dunn thow!!!

I must have been dreaming but I thought we signed Dunn to a three year contract in the off season.

The problem is that if we trade Griffey at the deadline it will be because we are out of the playoff race. If we're still in the playoff race at the deadline we would want to make deals that could help us this year, like getting a 3rd or 4th starter, except we're not going to get a 3rd or 4th starter for Griffey at the deadline. The only way we unload Griffey at the deadline is to a team that has a ton of money and is still in the playoff race, therefore no team in the playoff race is going to give up one of their starting pitchers for Griffey. If we do trade Griffey we'll basically get nothing, because the biggest thing we'll get is for the other team to pay his salary.

As for trading Dunn, well it would have to be some kind of fantastic deal to trade him, I think anyway.

dougdirt
04-14-2007, 01:54 AM
I dont think there is any way Dunn finishes his contract in Cincinnati unless we are in first place at the deadline. We cant afford, nor should we resign him for what other teams will be offering for him. After his contract is up, someone is going to offer him 14+ million a year for 5 or 6 years, and the Reds cant tie up that kind of money in a guy who can't play defense at all. I love Adam Dunn the hitter, regardless of how frustrating he can be at times, he is the best bat the Reds have, and its not really that close unless Griffey returns to 2005 on us.
Given the current market, I think the Reds would be making a mistake paying Dunn the kind of money he will be making once his contract is up, and when its getting down to the deadline either this year if we decide we aren't paying his option or next year if we do, we need to look long and hard at what we can get in return for him because he will not be here once his current deal is up unless he gives the Reds a bigtime discount below 12 million a year, which I doubt he would since we have an option for 13 million.

Just my opinion, but its really how I see things unfolding as they get closer.

The_jbh
04-14-2007, 02:46 AM
I dont think Josh Hamilton's future is at all connected to Adam Dunn's. In fact I hope they are intertwined. an OF of LF Dunn CF Hamilton RF Bruce could be the most potent in the majors by mid 2008.

In reality, Freel is not the future in CF, Hamilton is. Dunn is completely unrelated to CF. Hamilton wont ever play fulltime in LF, it would be a waste of his skills. CF or RF is his place. Griffey will retire in the next two years, and thats when Bruce will come up.

If Dunn is putting it together, it means hes finally developing into the cornerstone of this offense we need him to be. This organization (i believe) has gone past the point where we have to deal cornerstone players due to financial reasons. Unless we can get a couple future aces, I think Dunn should be a Red for life. he enjoys cincinnati and seems to be maturing into the player and man that will be a HOF

Wheelhouse
04-14-2007, 03:25 AM
I posted a simliar thread over the winter about this topic, and thought it would be a good time to revisit the conversation.

Do the Reds trade Adam Dunn this season? Over the winter I asked if he would go in the offseason, and we obviously know the answer to that question (if you don't, you're not much of a Reds fan :D).

It's only a few weeks into the season, but Dunn has been routinely going the other way, and "hitting them where they ain't." For example, today's rbi single off of Zambrano.

He appears to have adopted a different and much more effective plan at the plate, and looks like he's heading for a career year, by all indications.

In this division, we're going to have to be flat out awful to completely be out of the race by July 31st, so trading Dunn would create serious backlash. But on the same hand, if he keeps hitting at this pace, his stock could very well never be higher, and we could possibly get a king's ransom for him. So, if the Reds are on the fringe of elimination, but close enough to where the casual fan would still consider them in the race and giving up on the season if they traded one of their best hitter's, would the Reds trade Dunn, even if it received several good player's in return?

It's a tough decision for a club to make. I'm sure they'd love to keep Dunn, but financially it will be very difficult, and with young player's such as Bruce and Stubbs on the horizon, along with Hamilton and any young player's that might be acquired in a trade of Dunn, the club may believe they can withstand the short term loss in production.

What are your opinions on this? Will the Reds try and sign Dunn long term? Will they let him play the year out without making any contract offers or trading him? Or will they make a risky move and trade him while his stock could be at an all time high in order to further add depth to the organization?

For what? The need the team has now is offense. Dunn is a much improved player both offensively and defensively. And that, after he hit 40 HRs last year. Keep him.

Always Red
04-14-2007, 07:08 AM
keep Adam Dunn. It would be foolish to trade him.

Jr is untradeable at this point. But he is still useful, in RF, and swings a good bat, and this 2007 Reds team needs his offense. The injury bug that visits him routinely will keep other teams wary.

I'd love to see an OF of Hamilton, Dunn, Bruce, maybe in 2008? That would be exciting!

membengal
04-14-2007, 07:12 AM
Since offense is a major question with this club as it is currently constituted, I cannot imagine how anyone proposes to replace Dunn's production should he be dealt...

mth123
04-14-2007, 08:02 AM
For what? The need the team has now is offense. Dunn is a much improved player both offensively and defensively. And that, after he hit 40 HRs last year. Keep him.

Wheelhouse, you're my new hero. I agree.

reds1869
04-14-2007, 08:26 AM
Do you want to win, or do you want to be mediocre? If you want to win then you find a way to pay Dunn and players like him.

Redlegs
04-14-2007, 08:52 AM
I can't see trading Dunn at the very point he seems to be developing as a hitter. He's finally going the other way and has begin to cut down his strikeouts. He can still be an adventure on defense, but that seems to have improved also. Big kudos to Brook Jacoby. Excellent choice by the Reds.

edabbs44
04-14-2007, 08:54 AM
Depends for who. No one is untradeable.

redsmetz
04-14-2007, 09:02 AM
I hope they don't. I think out of the chute, Adam is showing the player we all hoped he could be. I think we will regret the day if this were to happen (see Robinson, Frank).

Heath
04-14-2007, 09:08 AM
I dont think there is any way Dunn finishes his contract in Cincinnati unless we are in first place at the deadline. We cant afford, nor should we resign him for what other teams will be offering for him. After his contract is up, someone is going to offer him 14+ million a year for 5 or 6 years, and the Reds cant tie up that kind of money in a guy who can't play defense at all. I love Adam Dunn the hitter, regardless of how frustrating he can be at times, he is the best bat the Reds have, and its not really that close unless Griffey returns to 2005 on us.
Given the current market, I think the Reds would be making a mistake paying Dunn the kind of money he will be making once his contract is up, and when its getting down to the deadline either this year if we decide we aren't paying his option or next year if we do, we need to look long and hard at what we can get in return for him because he will not be here once his current deal is up unless he gives the Reds a bigtime discount below 12 million a year, which I doubt he would since we have an option for 13 million.

Doug, you make good points here, but I'm gonna have to say that they need to keep him. Dunn's defense seems to be improving as long has he stays in left. As a minor league expert, you know that the probability of either Bruce or Stubbs not making it to the show is pretty high. Plus, Hamilton's been a nice surprise. He has the speed and arm to play CF. He reminds me of Grady Sizemore and I'll take that.

If Votto says what everybody says he is combined with Bruce/Stubbs, the continued improvement with Josh Hamilton, the expiring contracts of Junior & Milton, and with Dunn's new attitude, should keep Adam Dunn in Cincinnati for a long time.

Heath
04-14-2007, 09:09 AM
One other thing. There's been Frank Robinson references in here. Don't forget, we traded for Frank Robinson. He just happens to be Ken Griffey, Jr.

Redlegs
04-14-2007, 09:14 AM
One other thing. There's been Frank Robinson references in here. Don't forget, we traded for Frank Robinson. He just happens to be Ken Griffey, Jr.

Excellent post. :thumbup:

Also, it's a bit crazy to compare Adam Dunn to Frank Robinson, IMO.
I support Dunner, but Robby is a hall of famer who did everything better than Dunn with the possible exception of power. An argument could probably be made on that as well.

edabbs44
04-14-2007, 09:20 AM
I hope they don't. I think out of the chute, Adam is showing the player we all hoped he could be. I think we will regret the day if this were to happen (see Robinson, Frank).

2006 April: .265/.432/.614
2005 April: .292/.427/.694
2004 April: .328/.538/.750

Out of the chute, Dunn's never had a problem. It's later in the year where he starts to struggle.

Ahhhorsepoo
04-14-2007, 10:03 AM
Depends for who. No one is untradeable.

I would strike up a deal with Tampa Bay for Crawford.. who by the way was drafted 1 round after hamilton and consistantly calls him to check up on him because they were great pals in Tampa.. because Crawford wont command a 17 million dollar deal like Dunn will be asking for, and Crawford can actually play defense, and hustle on the base path...

westofyou
04-14-2007, 10:05 AM
and Crawford can actually play defense, and hustle on the base path...

When he can get on.

.327 lifetime OB%... a good player, with on base skill problems and speed wasted in LF.

Falls City Beer
04-14-2007, 10:06 AM
When he can get on.

.327 lifetime OB%... a good player, with on base skill problems and speed wasted in LF.

No kidding. Crawford might benefit from a change of scenery, but jeez, talk about a guy who's going to get paid too much for the wrong skill set.

No thanks.

edabbs44
04-14-2007, 10:40 AM
When he can get on.

He can also be viewed as a player on the rise:

age 21: .281/.309/.362
age 22: .296/.331/.450
age 23: .301/.331/.469
age 24: .305/.348/.482

Stats have improved each year. And to talk about his .327 lifetime OBP is a little misleading, since he has been above that lifetime number for the last 3 years. Small sample size when you see that roughly 1/3 of his ABs were when he was 20 and 21, years where very good prospects are typically in AA and AAA.

Gimme CC any day of the week.

jmac
04-14-2007, 10:52 AM

For some reason,Adam strikes me as a guy who would take a hometown discount and maybe not relish the limelight of a New York type atmosphere.
He may follow in Harang's and BA's footsteps which is why WK needs to be discussing it now with his agent rather than later.

Razor Shines
04-14-2007, 10:55 AM
For some reason,Adam strikes me as a guy who would take a hometown discount and maybe not relish the limelight of a New York type atmosphere.
He may follow in Harang's and BA's footsteps which is why WK needs to be discussing it now with his agent rather than later.

Yeah he might take the home town discount, unfortunately for us his home town is Houston.

chettt
04-14-2007, 10:58 AM
We should try to re-sign Adam Dunn to a long-term deal. At the trading deadline, if no deal has been made, Krivsky will have to deal him. Krivsky just can't let him walk away.(Ask Bowden about Soriano) Dunn has improved greatly in his total game. I would like to see him to stay in leftfield for years to come. Our future looks bright with Votto & Bruce on the horizon, now only if Krivsky has a catcher up his sleeve!!!

jmac
04-14-2007, 11:01 AM
Yeah he might take the home town discount, unfortunately for us his home town is Houston.

How about his "other" hometown ?:thumbup:

AdamDunn
04-14-2007, 11:41 AM
If he puts up 100 RBI/100 Runs/.250 BA/.380 OBP, I'd say he's worth the $13 million for next year. If we aren't in contention next year at the All-Star break (which I'm guessing we won't be), we can trade him then and bring up Jay Bruce (if he continues to progress).

mth123
04-14-2007, 12:34 PM
You aren't going to get a replacement that creates runs the way Dunn does for less than $13 Million. There is also the whole "if one's available how do you get him to Cincinnati?" question. It will take a premium and drive the cost up even higher.

Smart play is to sign Dunn and live with his faults while reaping rewards of what he does well. Defense in LF is of much less importance as compared to OBP and Slugging %. It is even less important on a baseball team with a good CF that can cover the gap. This is the first year in Dunn's big league career that he won't be playing next to a substandard defensive player in CF.

As for the little things, worry about those after big things are taken care of (like getting on base and providing impact power).

Dunner44
04-14-2007, 12:41 PM
You aren't going to get a replacement that creates runs the way Dunn does for less than $13 Million. There is also the whole "if one's available how do you get him to Cincinnati?" question. It will take a premium and drive the cost up even higher.

Smart play is to sign Dunn and live with his faults while reaping rewards of what he does well. Defense in LF is of much less importance as compared to OBP and Slugging %. It is even less important on a baseball team with ia good CF that can cover the gap. This is the first year in Dunn's big league career that he won't be playing next to a substandard defensive player in CF.

As for the little things, worry about those after big things are taken care of (like getting on base and providing impact power).

Are you referencing Freel of Hamilton? Because while Freel is speedy and can make the spectacular catch, he is not amazing defensively. He takes poor jumps on balls, can't seem to judge them well in the OF and ignores the cut off man. He'll improve with more time in the OF, and he had a substantial number of OF assists last year (top 10 in the NL), but Hamilton is the best defensive OF the Reds have. He plays it instinctively, and doesn't have to make up for bad jumps with dives... even if he does lose a ball in the sun every now and again (it was plain comical yesterday, dropped right next to his glove)

Highlifeman21
04-14-2007, 12:43 PM
If Cincinnati doesn't pick up his option, that decision will trump "The Trade" in terms of importance in franchise history.

Even if Krivsky plans on moving Dunn, you still need to pick up his option to have him as a trading chip.

corkedbat
04-14-2007, 12:44 PM
Never say never, but I thnk it would be tough to trade AD. IMO, you only trade Dunn if it is a deal that redefines the future of the franchise. If you could craft a deal (including others, not just AD) that would bring you a young starter, closer candidate and regular all capable of playing for you at a decent level for 10 years or so, I'd probably do it.

I stress probably though. I'm more impressed with the state of the roster after this Spring than I thought I would be. I like what I see from Adam at the plate this year. With cost certainty where Harang and Arroyo are conerned, Milton (and probably Lohse) coming off the books this year and Griffey coming off after next season (if he doesn't retire first) I think we can probably afford to extend Adam with one more mega contract.

I was leaning more toward the possibility of a trade with Dunn in the Winter, but then I was more pessimistic towards our 25-man orster prospects.

With Harang and Arroyo signed, Homer waiting in the wings and several guys (Belisle, Sarloos, Ramierez, Santos) capable of at least being satisfactory #5's until some of the youger farm hands are ready, I'd be very happy if WK could just find one #3-quality starter somehow (preferrably LH).

I'm also very encouraged by the young hands in the bullpen (and waiting in the wings) like Coffey, Bray, Majewski, Coutlangus, Burton, Salmon, Medlock, etc. I might still like to see them add a big young hammer somewhere along the line, but don't necessarily see it as a "Must" anymore. I can see one of the young guys stepping forward eventually.

I see us as pretty well set in the infield (Votto, Phillips, Gonzalez, Encarnacion) for the next 2 or three seasons and I'm cautiously becoming very confident in Josh Hamilton.

I now think that it is more important to sew AD up with another contract (maybe four years with an option for a fifth). Doing that would solidify six regular spots near-term (7 if you include KGJ for this year and next). You can always fill with journeymen vets if its only one OF spot and catcher for that matter too.

So I basically would like to see WK add a LH starter, a more solid catcher (not necessarily an all-star) and possibly another OF (as Griffey insurance)and/or a young stud reliever and I'm actually feeling pretty good about the team until the next generation (Cuetos, Wood, Bruce, Stubbs, etc.) starts arrivng from the farms. It would also allow for another couple of drafts to fortify and already-improving minor league system.

Maybe not the Red Sox, but suddenly the future doesn't look quite as bleak to me as I though it did last winter.

mth123
04-14-2007, 12:50 PM
Are you referencing Freel of Hamilton? Because while Freel is speedy and can make the spectacular catch, he is not amazing defensively. He takes poor jumps on balls, can't seem to judge them well in the OF and ignores the cut off man. He'll improve with more time in the OF, and he had a substantial number of OF assists last year (top 10 in the NL), but Hamilton is the best defensive OF the Reds have. He plays it instinctively, and doesn't have to make up for bad jumps with dives... even if he does lose a ball in the sun every now and again (it was plain comical yesterday, dropped right next to his glove)

Actually I'm speaking about any of them, but Hamilton and possibly Deno are most likely. The contract for the future years in question probably is for a Red's team that doesn't include Freel.

As for this year, even with Freel's faults (about which I agree) he will still provide significantly better CF play than we've seen since Dunn came to the majors. Freel's mental faults like throwing to the wrong base really don't impact the play of Dunn, but his ability to cover the gap makes Dunn's problems less harmful.

corkedbat
04-14-2007, 12:55 PM
Actually I'm speaking about any of them, but Hamilton and possibly Deno are most likely. The contract for the future years in question probably is for a Red's team that doesn't include Freel.

As for this year, even with Freel's faults (about which I agree) he will still provide significantly better CF play than we've seen since Dunn came to the majors. Freel's mental faults like throwing to the wrong base really don't impact the play of Dunn, but his ability to cover the gap makes Dunn's problems less harmful.

I think that despite his protestations now, as he enters his early-to-mid thirties, Dunn will become more open to a move to 1B and will spend the last 6-8 years of his career there. Wonder if Votto can convert to LF?

mth123
04-14-2007, 01:08 PM
I think that despite his protestations now, as he enters his early-to-mid thirties, Dunn will become more open to a move to 1B and will spend the last 6-8 years of his career there. Wonder if Votto can convert to LF?

I don't want him there. A poor LF does much less harm than a poor 1B.

A poor 1B leads to a poor 2B, a poor SS and a poor 3B. I think Dunn at 1B would lead to an IF that leads the league in 2B Throwing Errors and a pitching staff with a high BABIP due to all the IF hits (that should be outs if the 1B can make the pick but are ruled hits when he doesn't).

There is a reason that other guys like Manny Ramirez don't get moved to 1B. Even guys who came up as 1B like Ortiz and Hafner aren't trusted. Those are Dunn's defensive comparables. If he's in the NL, I think LF is the best spot.

I think Votto is going to be good. I'm happy waiting for him and having Dunn, Votto, EdE, Bruce and Hamilton all in the line-up as we move forward.

Always Red
04-14-2007, 01:18 PM

Dunn's been around for 7 years now; he's definitely a veteran player.

But he's only 27 years old, believe it or not...

corkedbat
04-14-2007, 02:03 PM
I don't want him there. A poor LF does much less harm than a poor 1B.

A poor 1B leads to a poor 2B, a poor SS and a poor 3B. I think Dunn at 1B would lead to an IF that leads the league in 2B Throwing Errors and a pitching staff with a high BABIP due to all the IF hits (that should be outs if the 1B can make the pick but are ruled hits when he doesn't).

There is a reason that other guys like Manny Ramirez don't get moved to 1B. Even guys who came up as 1B like Ortiz and Hafner aren't trusted. Those are Dunn's defensive comparables. If he's in the NL, I think LF is the best spot.

I think Votto is going to be good. I'm happy waiting for him and having Dunn, Votto, EdE, Bruce and Hamilton all in the line-up as we move forward.

I know that D is important @ 1B, but I don't think that Dunn would be a poor 1B though. He's still in the OF by his choice, not because he can't cut it @ 1B. I think he showed he could be pretty decent in his limited time there, especially with an offseason and ST there. I'm not saying this year or next or even three years from now, but I still hold that eventually Dunn's body-type will bring a move to 1b as he gets older.

Joseph
04-14-2007, 02:08 PM
This is one of those topics thats a catch 22. If he's hitting, you can't trade him because you need him. If he's not hitting you can't trade him because he strikes out too much [so the experts say]. Best to hold on to Dunn and hope Jacoby is the answer.

mth123
04-14-2007, 02:24 PM
I know that D is importanr @ 1B, but I don't think that Dunn would be a poor 1B though. He's still in the OF by his choice, not because he can't cut it @ 1B. I think he showed he could be pretty decent in his limited time there, especially with an offseason and ST there. I'm not saying this year or next or even three years from now, but I still hold that eventually Dunn's body-type will bring a move to 1b as he gets older.

I share the body type concern, but I think it was mutual concerning him going back to the OF. I didn't see anything in his time at 1B that suggests he'd be good there. When the plan was for him at 1B, I was just hoping for passable.

If he stays relatively trim (like now), I think he could stay in the OF.

hebroncougar
04-14-2007, 03:45 PM
If they do, it would rival getting rid of some of the all time great Reds players. Dunn is too young and too good to not keep.

Ludwig Reds Fan
04-14-2007, 04:39 PM
Who do we have that intimidates the way Dunn does.

I hope we don't trade him, even if we are in the basement by the all-star break.

flyer85
04-14-2007, 04:56 PM
They really can't trade him unless they can get something to replace. This is a very marginal team and offensive team with no OF depth in the majors or minors. In addition Jr is old and near the end, Freel is OK but has health troubles(and is age 31) and we really don't know about Hamilton yet.

flyer85
04-14-2007, 04:57 PM
How about his "other" hometown ?:thumbup:Houston has a bunch of money invested at 1B and LF for years to come.