PDA

View Full Version : No TV Broadcast the last 3 games!

Rotater Cuff
04-14-2007, 08:43 AM
Today's not televised, right?

Statistically, when Fox Cable announced they were broadcasting 144 games out of a 162 game schedule, you would think we'd get most of the games, right?
So 2 of the last 3 games haven't been televised, which statistically is a huge whole in the lineup.

Do you think they are counting possible post season appearances in their totals?

And when Fox doesn't broadcast, nobody does. WGN had monkees on yesterday!

Oh well, maybe I'll mow my lawn in the rain:angry:

RedFanAlways1966
04-14-2007, 08:49 AM
This is the only time this entire season that two games in a row will not be televised in the local market.

I hate it too... but I am old enough (before cable!) to remember about 1 game per week on TV.

Bad couple of days... but a great year. In a TV sense. :)

Redlegs
04-14-2007, 08:49 AM
The biggest increase was the number of home games televised. Every home game is televised this season with the exception of all Thursday afternoon business day specials and one Sunday game in September. As for the post-season, those games would be televised nationally.

You'll never hear me complain about the television schedule. When I was a kid, you got road games only. The Reds would televise one or two games at home on a "TBA" basis. Also, nothing like turning on WGN or WTBS when the Cubs or Braves were in town, only to see that bright blue screen explaining the FCC Blackout regulations. It was a big event to watch them from Riverfront on the one or two occasions when Channel 5 would broadcast.

Heath
04-14-2007, 08:55 AM
The biggest increase was the number of home games televised. Every home game is televised this season with the exception of all Thursday afternoon business day specials and one Sunday game in September. As for the post-season, those games would be televised nationally.

You'll never hear me complain about the television schedule. When I was a kid, you got road games only. The Reds would televise one or two games at home on a "TBA" basis. Also, nothing like turning on WGN or WTBS when the Cubs or Braves were in town, only to see that bright blue screen explaining the FCC Blackout regulations. It was a big event to watch them from Riverfront on the one or two occasions when Channel 5 would broadcast.

Word.

There are 162 games on the schedule. Last year we got 100 on TV. This year we have 145. I remember Bill Brown and Ray Lane giving us 40 games on TV. I can remember summers getting a special treat by staying up and watching the 10:00 games

This year, FOX is doing what NBC did in the 70's and 80's and giving us a game of the week on every Saturday of the baseball season.

RedFanAlways1966
04-14-2007, 09:01 AM
This year, FOX is doing what NBC did in the 70's and 80's and giving us a game of the week on every Saturday of the baseball season.

And I do not have to suffer through Joe Garagiola and Tony Kubek... who bugged me in my younger days. Kind of like George Grande does to many here. Those two never quit talking... yack, yack, yack, yack.

Redlegs
04-14-2007, 09:18 AM
Word.

There are 162 games on the schedule. Last year we got 100 on TV. This year we have 145. I remember Bill Brown and Ray Lane giving us 40 games on TV.
I wonder whatever happened to Ray Lane? I think Bill Brown is still broadcasting for a baseball team somewhere, but I hadn't heard Ray Lane's name in a while. Thanks for the memory.

Heath
04-14-2007, 09:21 AM
And I do not have to suffer through Joe Garagiola and Tony Kubek... who bugged me in my younger days. Kind of like George Grande does to many here. Those two never quit talking... yack, yack, yack, yack.

I remember Vin Scully and Tony Kubek together. I was ok with that one. They'd tell stories all game.

I also got Jack Buck and Tim McCarver planted in my brain thanks to 1990. Especially McCarver congratulating the Oakland A's..errr...the Cincinnati Reds for winning the World Series. I got so much Buck and McCarver, I swear Col. Potter and the Beaver were the broadcasters.

Heath
04-14-2007, 09:24 AM
I wonder whatever happened to Ray Lane? I think Bill Brown is still broadcasting for a baseball team somewhere, but I hadn't heard Ray Lane's name in a while. Thanks for the memory.

Bill Brown is in Houston.

I think Ray Lane has passed on.

Ken Wilson was still doing St. Louis Blues hockey.

We know about Thom Brennaman.

Jay Randolph did a year or so in the 80's with Johnny Bench.

Steve LaMarr went to Cleveland and he's gone.

George Grande's been here since 1993, I think.

There's your Reds TV Broadcast history from about 1978 on.

Redlegs
04-14-2007, 09:30 AM

Don't forget Steve Physioc!!!!

Jay Randolph, LOL. Always referred to homeplate as "the dish."

Heath
04-14-2007, 09:32 AM

The reports of Ray Lane's demise have been greatly exaggerated.

http://www.crossandcrescent.com/2007/03/hall-of-fame-sportscaster/

Redlegs
04-14-2007, 09:34 AM
The reports of Ray Lane's demise have been greatly exaggerated.

http://www.crossandcrescent.com/2007/03/hall-of-fame-sportscaster/
I had just researched the same article. You've got my mind working this morning, Heath. Glad to see Lane's doing well.

RollyInRaleigh
04-14-2007, 11:39 AM
You can't forget about Charlie Jones and Wes Parker in 1973 and Charlie Jones and Woody Woodward in 1974. As a kid, I was always frustrated by Jones' inability to say the word "second." "Rose slides headfirst, safely into "shecond" base." Drove me nuts. Anybody else remember that?

Cigar2
04-14-2007, 12:43 PM
Well yesterday and today I get both games thanks to Comcast Chicago and Dish network.

Yachtzee
04-14-2007, 12:45 PM
Don't forget Steve Physioc!!!!

Jay Randolph, LOL. Always referred to homeplate as "the dish."

Steve Physioc is partially responsible for the annoying pre-game banter on the MLB 2k7. While the game is loading, you have to listen to Steve and Jeanne Zelasko do pre-game analysis. You know you're ready to play when Jeanne says "Thanks Steve."

I forget who he broadcasts for now. I think it used to be Milwaukee or Tampa Bay.

Eric_Davis
04-14-2007, 01:04 PM
It sucks for us outside of Cincinnati. You figure five games against the Cubs and you'd get more than Opening Day to be televised.

Caveat Emperor
04-14-2007, 01:38 PM
It sucks for us outside of Cincinnati. You figure five games against the Cubs and you'd get more than Opening Day to be televised.

I can understand not televising a Friday afternoon game, when the majority of Reds fans would be at work or school and unable to watch the game -- but Saturday afternoon road games should be on TV.

A-Dub
04-14-2007, 01:48 PM
Physioc is the Angels tv broadcaster.

Heath
04-14-2007, 01:52 PM

With Rex Hudler. You can't make this up.

I remember Wes Parker was on the Brady Bunch. He seems like he'd be a guy who could have been an ok announcer.

KronoRed
04-14-2007, 02:03 PM
I can understand not televising a Friday afternoon game, when the majority of Reds fans would be at work or school and unable to watch the game -- but Saturday afternoon road games should be on TV.

Real fans wouls have driven all night to get there

So says Bud :D

Tony Cloninger
04-14-2007, 07:29 PM
Too bad Al Micheals wanted to further his career......he would have been great announcing the team through the rest of the 70's.

Ron Madden
04-14-2007, 08:06 PM

I always liked Joe Garagiola.

I thought he had some great stories from his playing days. :)

Joe was a big Pete Rose Fan.

Chip R
04-14-2007, 08:24 PM
And when Fox doesn't broadcast, nobody does. WGN had monkees on yesterday!

Oh, man, I loved that show.

RedFanAlways1966
04-14-2007, 08:29 PM
I always liked Joe Garagiola.

I thought he had some great stories from his playing days. :)

Joe was a big Pete Rose Fan.

Oh, I liked Joe the person. But when he and Kubek were in the booth together... they drove me nuts. Especially Kubek who I'd compare to Billy Packer in today's college basketball. Alway talking... knows everyone and very opinionated.

I once read Garagiola's book and thought it was great. It was called something like Joe Garagiola's funniest basballl stories. Great stories like you have said.

gm
04-14-2007, 08:59 PM

Steve also calls Pac-10 football games in the fall

George Anderson
04-14-2007, 09:17 PM
Tom Hume did color in the early 90's. He was very, very bad!!:thumbdown

remdog
04-14-2007, 09:31 PM
Too bad Al Micheals wanted to further his career......he would have been great announcing the team through the rest of the 70's.

I was always of the opinion that Michaels was a better announcer in his short time with the Reds than Marty will ever become.

Rem

Big Klu
04-15-2007, 01:30 AM

Don't forget Gordy Coleman. A great guy who really loved the Reds.

traderumor
04-15-2007, 07:53 AM
We missed nothing by not seeing Saturday's game ;)

BlfdVaFan
04-15-2007, 11:44 AM
Kubek, Gowdy, Garagiola, etc......none of those guys could stand up to Dizzy Dean especially when he started to sing 'The Wabash Cannonball'

wheels
04-15-2007, 12:08 PM
I once read Garagiola's book and thought it was great. It was called something like Joe Garagiola's funniest basballl stories. Great stories like you have said.

It was called "Baseball is a Funny Game". It was the first "real" book I ever read.

RollyInRaleigh
04-15-2007, 01:25 PM
I really liked Garagiola. I liked him much better with Curt Gowdy than I did with Tony Kubek, whom I always thought was very dull and opinionated. I always liked Gowdy until the 1975 Series. I lost a lot of respect for him after that. I guess he couldn't help the huge Red Sox fan that he was. He was a pretty good announcer whose distinctive voice I associate with a lot of great sporting events from my youth.

redsrule2500
04-22-2007, 12:05 PM
It feels like this season has less TV games than last year!

What happened to the 145 + WGN + ESPN + FOX + TBS "We will barely miss a game" thing! :(

dougdirt
04-22-2007, 12:07 PM
We are spoiled thats all.

Moonlite Graham
04-22-2007, 12:22 PM
Am I missing something, the game is on Fox Ohio today??

Chip R
04-22-2007, 12:34 PM
Am I missing something, the game is on Fox Ohio today??

It is. As were all the other games this week.

redram
04-22-2007, 01:42 PM
It was not listed as a TV game on Their Web sight, guess they gave us a gift today. Makes up for last nights offensive output :-)

macro
04-22-2007, 04:50 PM
The TV schedule I had, had this listed as a televised game. I marked all the non-TV games on my schedule before the season started, and didn't have today's game marked as not being on. I'm not sure why the Reds own site would have it wrong, though.

redsrule2500
04-22-2007, 09:21 PM
Ya, nevermind.

Sea Ray
04-22-2007, 09:23 PM
The best "team" ever IMO was Vin Scully/Joe Garagiola. They're both alive and well today. It'd be great to get them together again for a post season series or something. Doesn't Joe G do one game a week for the D-Backs?