PDA

View Full Version : Reds Posters

Redlegs
04-14-2007, 09:24 AM
I've noticed the old Reds posters sell for big bucks on eBay, particularly Rose and Bench. That begs the question as to why the Reds don't reprint those posters and sell them at their gift shop? I'd love to have the poster of Rose rounding the bases with Harrelson in the background. I have a Concepcion poster, mint condition and framed, hanging in my garage. Used to have Bench, Knight, Seaver, and Soto. No idea where they're at now, however.

Red in Chicago
04-14-2007, 09:38 AM
i had concepcion and bench on my wall for years as a kid...sure wish i would have kept them:bang:

George Anderson
04-14-2007, 11:13 AM
I would have to guess that they would reprint those posters if they could, but for some reason for either financial or legal reasons I would guess they cannot.

I have forever been looking for a team poster of the 1975 team. They are incredibly hard to find and I have no doubt there are others out there that would love to have one also.

macro
04-14-2007, 11:24 AM
I've noticed the old Reds posters sell for big bucks on eBay, particularly Rose and Bench. That begs the question as to why the Reds don't reprint those posters and sell them at their gift shop? I'd love to have the poster of Rose rounding the bases with Harrelson in the background. I have a Concepcion poster, mint condition and framed, hanging in my garage. Used to have Bench, Knight, Seaver, and Soto. No idea where they're at now, however.

I've wondered the same thing myself. Maybe no one feels that they would sell enough to make up for the license fees, etc. Even though the original throwbacks bring big money, a reproduction would probably fetch much less. I still can't see how they wouldn't be a very popular item, though.

I wish the Reds and Bengals would produce more throwback merchandise, with the Reds using the logo of the 70s and 80s and with the Bengals using the pre-1980 helmet with the block letters on the side. Reebok recently produced a cap with just the old Bengals helmet on it, but I have no idea how well they've sold.

Yachtzee
04-14-2007, 04:16 PM
Or how about a throwback Fathead? They have a Boomer Esiason Fathead available at http://www.fathead.com, so why not a Johnny Bench, Pete Rose, or Davey Concepcion fathead?

dougdirt
04-14-2007, 04:24 PM
Pete Rose can't be in a Reds uniform on anything related to MLB, so a Pete Rose Fathead is out of the question unless they were to get fancy with some photoshop touchups.

Yachtzee
04-14-2007, 04:33 PM
Pete Rose can't be in a Reds uniform on anything related to MLB, so a Pete Rose Fathead is out of the question unless they were to get fancy with some photoshop touchups.

It looks like Fatheads are made from old photos, based on the Boomer Esiason fathead. As MLB doesn't have a problem selling autographed photos including Pete Rose (http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2406477&cp=1452348.1452723.1981074&parentPage=family), I don't see why MLB or Pete couldn't have a fathead made from an old photo of him diving into a base head first. Now would I want to purchase one? No. But I'm sure there are folks who would.

Redlegs
04-14-2007, 07:06 PM
The Reds aren't even permitted to retire his number 14. In honor of Pete, the Reds made the number of bats sticking out of the top of the Pepsi Power Stacks to add up to 14. They put 7 on each stack. Interesting tidbit I learned while taking the GABP tour.

George Foster
04-14-2007, 07:16 PM
2 years ago I was walking downtown and next to the Westin Hotel, there is this baseball card shop. I was looking at the posters and WOW....an origional Bench poster, and the 1976 team poster still in the wrap, thick with dust, 30 years old. I purchased them for $15 each.... A STEAL...

They had a Morgan,Foster, an Seaver posters as well...should of purchased them too:bang:

The Bench, and 1976 team poster is framed in my son's room.

I e-mailed Jonny's Bench's web master and asked him the question about the poster. He said they are the property of the photogapher, not Bench, Reds, or MLB.

upsman
04-14-2007, 10:51 PM
i think i have the wholle collection hanging in my bar
1971 Bench
1972 Tolan
1972 Nolan
1973 Bench
1973 Morgan
1974 Rose
1975 Perez
1976 Foster
1977 Concepcion
1977 1976 World Champs
1978 Griffey
1979 Seaver
1980 Knight
1982 Soto

These all have the Big White Lettering at the top
the only one i am missing that i know of is the Pete Rose 3000 poster would love to buy one if someone had one for sale.
I have a 1975 world Champions Poster but it isnt white lettered at the top,if there was one could someone post a pic of it

Heath
04-14-2007, 11:01 PM
The best posters, IMO, were the late 60's SI posters. They hardly had any writing on them - it was full color and awesome.

I have three - a Chris Sabo, a Barry Larkin, and a '77 Bench SI reprint.

Good stuff. I collect pennants though. Thank goodness for a downstairs den.

Ron Madden
04-14-2007, 11:01 PM
Why did the Reds stop having Poster Days?

They should bring Poster Day back, with todays players.

I believe it would be as big a draw as Bobblehead give away games.

Redlegs
04-15-2007, 09:16 AM
i think i have the wholle collection hanging in my bar
1971 Bench
1972 Tolan
1972 Nolan
1973 Bench
1973 Morgan
1974 Rose
1975 Perez
1976 Foster
1977 Concepcion
1977 1976 World Champs
1978 Griffey
1979 Seaver
1980 Knight
1982 Soto

These all have the Big White Lettering at the top
the only one i am missing that i know of is the Pete Rose 3000 poster would love to buy one if someone had one for sale.
I have a 1975 world Champions Poster but it isnt white lettered at the top,if there was one could someone post a pic of it
That's awesome. I had, at one time, Bench '73, Seaver, Morgan, Knight, and Soto. You hardly ever see the Soto poster anywhere.

I have a mint condition Rose 3000 hit poster framed and hanging in my garage. You may be able to find one on eBay.

Redlegs
04-15-2007, 09:19 AM
Why did the Reds stop having Poster Days?

They should bring Poster Day back, with todays players.

I believe it would be as big a draw as Bobblehead give away games.
The Reds giveaways today do not compare to those back in the day. Bat day, batting glove day, helmet day, poster day, rain jacket day, etc. etc. etc.

I've noticed the giveaways today are geared toward all fans whereas the giveaways back then were targeted for the kids mostly.

If the Reds ever decided to have poster day again, it'd be cool if they used the same design as the old posters. Have the last name going across the top in big white letters.

goreds2
04-15-2007, 09:48 AM
2 years ago I was walking downtown and next to the Westin Hotel, there is this baseball card shop. I was looking at the posters and WOW....an origional Bench poster, and the 1976 team poster still in the wrap, thick with dust, 30 years old. I purchased them for $15 each.... A STEAL...

They had a Morgan,Foster, an Seaver posters as well...should of purchased them too:bang:

The Bench, and 1976 team poster is framed in my son's room.
I e-mailed Jonny's Bench's web master and asked him the question about the poster. He said they are the property of the photogapher, not Bench, Reds, or MLB.

My son's room also has my old 1970's posters (Framed).

1976 Team
Johnny Bench
Pete Rose (3000 hits)
Pete Rose (Black & White spring training poster / 1973)
Dave Concepcion
Tom Seaver

It is nice to step in and go back in time. :)

I also have a Ray Knight poster in the garage.

4256 Hits
04-15-2007, 09:54 AM
[QUOTE=Redlegs;1300674] I'd love to have the poster of Rose rounding the bases with Harrelson in the background. QUOTE]

I had that poster growing up the funny thing about it is Rose is pumping his fist in away it looks like he is going to hit Harrelson!

Redlegs
04-15-2007, 10:02 AM
I had that poster growing up the funny thing about it is Rose is pumping his fist in away it looks like he is going to hit Harrelson!

I remember going to the old 580 Gift Shop and seeing all those posters on display high on the walls. I remember going to the back and purchasing tickets back when they were all color coded. Memories, pressed between the pages of my mind.

terminator
04-15-2007, 12:47 PM
You mean this (picture attached) is worth something? I searched Ebay and didn't see any for sale or recently sold. I know I have a Foster one and maybe a couple others too. I'm curious what these sell for.