PDA

View Full Version : Freel will see time at 3B

Dunner44
04-14-2007, 01:45 PM
From Fay:

So no Josh Hamilton with lefty Rich Hill starting. Jerry Narron said Ryan Freel will probably get a start or two at third base soon in order to get Hamilton time in center field.

Good for Hamilton, impressing the staff, but when can Edwin get a break around here?

Always Red
04-14-2007, 01:49 PM
From Fay:

Good for Hamilton, impressing the staff, but when can Edwin get a break around here?

I read that as Freel being demoted back to the supersub role, occasionally playing 3B, rather than a knock against EE.

Having Freel in that role makes this team a lot better, IMO.

Degenerate39
04-14-2007, 01:56 PM
I'm still not ready to give Josh a starting position for the majority of the season.

KronoRed
04-14-2007, 01:57 PM
Too early to panic, if we start seeing Freel get 3 starts a week at 3rd then we can panic. :pray:

Redlegs
04-14-2007, 01:58 PM
I'm still not ready to give Josh a starting position for the majority of the season.
I don't think Narron is saying that will be the case. He's riding the hot hand. That's a good way to manage, IMO. Piniella did it all the time when he was here.

Hoosier Red
04-14-2007, 01:58 PM
copied and pasted from the game thread:
Though I'm sure it will be construed as a "punishment" of EE, i think it's more a realization of A. Freel is probably a little bit better 3b than a 2b. B. Phillips is a lot better defensively than EE. C. If Narron's going to move guys around he's going to try and do so with as little disruption as possible to the defense.
(thus we won't see Freel to 2b, Phillips to SS)

redsfan30
04-14-2007, 01:59 PM
I read that as Freel being demoted back to the supersub role, occasionally playing 3B, rather than a knock against EE.

That's what it sounds like to me.

reds1869
04-14-2007, 02:25 PM
This works well for everyone involved. The Reds have the best posible lineup while Freel, Griffey, EE, Hamilton and anyone else who needs to get days off on occassion. It will keep the team fresh and let's Freel contribute effectively. Meanwhile Hamilton gets teh chance to prove himself over the course of an entire season. It's really a win-win as long as EE isn't pulled too often.

4256 Hits
04-14-2007, 02:33 PM
Freel is probably a little bit better 3b than a 2b.

I disagree here Freel doesn't have the arm to be a good 3rd baseman, besides CF IMO 2nd base is Freel best spot.

Redsland
04-14-2007, 02:36 PM
Fay just said that Freel has been taking grounders for the past couple of days.

guttle11
04-14-2007, 02:40 PM
Until Edwin starts hitting better, I don't have a problem with Freel playing 2 days a week at 3rd.

Team Clark
04-14-2007, 02:50 PM
I disagree here Freel doesn't have the arm to be a good 3rd baseman, besides CF IMO 2nd base is Freel best spot.

Ummm have you not seen Freel throw from the OF??? Freel has an excellent arm. The least of his worries is his arm strength.

Redmachine2003
04-14-2007, 02:51 PM
Ummm have you not seen Freel throw from the OF??? Freel has an excellent arm. The least of his worries is his arm strength.
It is the fact he likes to read the logo on the ball before he throws it.

TC81190
04-14-2007, 02:51 PM

Beat me to it.

Highlifeman21
04-14-2007, 04:01 PM

Freel has at best the 4th strongest OF arm in the entire organization behind Hamilton, Denorfia and Bruce.

After those 3, no one really stands out as having a strong OF arm.

TC81190
04-14-2007, 04:03 PM
Freel has at best the 4th strongest OF arm in the entire organization behind Hamilton, Denorfia and Bruce.

Griffey. I think Freel's beats Deno's, too. If Deno is top 3, Stubbs is up there too.

Highlifeman21
04-14-2007, 04:10 PM
Griffey. I think Freel's beats Deno's, too. If Deno is top 3, Stubbs is up there too.

Denorfia's arm is easily the 2nd best after Hamilton.

Then, I'd probably go with Bruce, Stubbs and then you can lump Dunn, Griffey and Freel into the same category as not having anything to write home to mom about....

Chip R
04-14-2007, 04:19 PM
Until Edwin starts hitting better, I don't have a problem with Freel playing 2 days a week at 3rd.

I love EE but he may need a break.

Tony Cloninger
04-14-2007, 05:49 PM
EE has forgotten what he is good at......driving the ball to all fields.

He seems hell bent to pull everything and has been swinging at some bad pitches......and even when they are good pitches, they are outside and he is still trying to pull them.

flyer85
04-14-2007, 06:01 PM
Put Freel in at 2nd as well. BP has struggled as much as EE.

The Reds really don't have any offensive options if the current starters don't pick it up. Fortunately, the season is still les than two weeks old.

reds44
04-14-2007, 06:02 PM
EE will start hitting. I hope BP does too.

Tony Cloninger
04-14-2007, 06:16 PM
I agree......BP has struggled even more than EE.....they both could use a refresher course in "going the other way" when they are pitching you there.

Problem is Phillips gloved is more valued than EE.....so they probably will not take him out as much as they would EE.

I have confidence in EE....he will hit, he needs to hit for this team to have any chance against LHP.

Maybe EE is like Concepcion used to be. He could not hit in cold weather at all.

Redlegs
04-14-2007, 08:09 PM
I agree with those who say Freel has a fine arm. I've seen him make some great throws both in person and mostly on the tube. I do not worry about Freel's defensive skills regardless of where he plays.

rotnoid
04-14-2007, 08:49 PM
Meanwhile Hamilton gets teh chance to prove himself over the course of an entire season. It's really a win-win as long as EE isn't pulled too often.

Maybe we actually learned a little something from the WMP experiment. All we do is slow Hamilton's overall development down by using him as the 25th man. The biggest thing working in his favor is that he's an excellent defender rather than the liabilty Pena was in the field.

Having more guys that can start gives the option to ride the hot hand (as was said earlier) more often than being stuck running a guy out there because the bench's best is still worse than a slumping starter.

Team Clark
04-14-2007, 08:59 PM
It is the fact he likes to read the logo on the ball before he throws it.

Kurt Stillwell used to do that too.

Team Clark
04-14-2007, 09:01 PM

Your also talking about guys that have 70 or better ratings for Arm Strength. There are entire organizations that do not have one guy rated that high. Hamilton has 240 ft strength. He's more than likely rated a 75. (out of 80)