PDA

View Full Version : Who is Juan Padilla?

cincrazy
04-14-2007, 05:10 PM
So I'm sitting here watching Fox Saturday Baseball, and Tim McCarver mentioned that David Ortiz hit both of his home runs last week versus "Juan" Padilla. Now maybe I just misheard him (I'm HOPING I misheard him), but i don't think that i did. It's VICENTE Padilla of the Texas Rangers. I don't get paid to announce baseball, yet I routinely find myself catching the mistakes of those that do get paid to follow the game. At the very least they could correct THEMSELVES...

BoldOD
04-14-2007, 05:24 PM
That's the guy on trial for being the dirty bomber. Maybe McCarver likes to watch Court TV.

mth123
04-14-2007, 06:33 PM
Juan Padilla is a fringe pitcher. He pitched in 12 games for the reds in 2004.

Always Red
04-14-2007, 06:36 PM

I was going to guess he was on redsupport's all star team...;)

marcshoe
04-14-2007, 06:55 PM
That's the guy on trial for being the dirty bomber. Maybe McCarver likes to watch Court TV.

That would be Jose, Tim. ;)

blumj
04-14-2007, 09:00 PM
McCarver and Stockton is a really bad combination. It's actually more notable when either of them get someone's name right than when they get them wrong. Like listening to my 83 year old dad.

Always Red
04-14-2007, 09:32 PM
McCarver and Stockton is a really bad combination. It's actually more notable when either of them get someone's name right than when they get them wrong. Like listening to my 83 year old dad.

I watched that Bosox-Angels game today (Hector Carrasco as a SP??) and they were truly awful.

FSN has some major problems with announcers, I think. I like Thom OK on the national games, but I really can't take Joe Buck at all.

TC81190
04-14-2007, 09:45 PM

Yep. Almost got 'em, but he IS a real person.

marcshoe
04-14-2007, 09:58 PM
I watched that Bosox-Angels game today (Hector Carrasco as a SP??) and they were truly awful.

FSN has some major problems with announcers, I think. I like Thom OK on the national games, but I really can't take Joe Buck at all.

I turned the game on, saw Carrasco and assumed the game had been on a lot longer than I thought. It didn't even occur to me that he could have started the game.

Always Red
04-14-2007, 10:03 PM
I turned the game on, saw Carrasco and assumed the game had been on a lot longer than I thought. It didn't even occur to me that he could have started the game.

Hector can't throw the ball quite as hard as he used to, but he's developed a nice change to go with the slider. He pitched OK, but he's more of a 2 inning guy these days, rather than a spot starter, but the Angels were in a bind.

blumj
04-14-2007, 10:13 PM
Colon, Weaver, and Escobar are all on the DL.

Strikes Out Looking
04-14-2007, 11:02 PM

McCarver and anyone is a really bad combination. If I was in charge of Fox baseball coverage, I'd fire McCarver and Buck (he's got that horrific St. Louis taint) and just let Thom Brenneman do the coverage. In fact, Thom is so much better than those other scrubs, I'd have him sit in a studio and do all the FOX games in all the regions.

blumj
04-14-2007, 11:29 PM
McCarver and anyone is a really bad combination. If I was in charge of Fox baseball coverage, I'd fire McCarver and Buck (he's got that horrific St. Louis taint) and just let Thom Brenneman do the coverage. In fact, Thom is so much better than those other scrubs, I'd have him sit in a studio and do all the FOX games in all the regions.
Well, Buck is really annoying, but McCarver and Stockton both constantly get player's names wrong individually, putting them together is almost worthy of an SNL skit.

Heath
04-15-2007, 12:03 AM

Thom Brennaman has Chris Denorfia tendencies. He doesn't need to sit in games. Thom does it by telepathy.

But, back to Padilla, I think he actually had a decent year as a Met last year. And by decent, I mean better than Eric Milton decent.