PDA

View Full Version : Bring up Hopper

Kc61
04-15-2007, 04:53 PM
The Reds right handed hitters are collectively doing nothing. Hamilton isn't hitting lefties. The Reds need some hitting against lefties.

Hopper isn't a power guy but at least he will get some hits against lefties. And against righties. The Reds are struggling offensively and need a bat.

Norris Hopper.

reds44
04-15-2007, 04:56 PM
Agreed. He needs to be up here.

Jr's Boy
04-15-2007, 05:46 PM
Great idea but who gets sent down to make room?

KronoRed
04-15-2007, 05:48 PM
Great idea but who gets sent down to make room?

One of the catchers.

Jr's Boy
04-15-2007, 05:56 PM
One of the catchers.

Your messin with a Narron law there my friend.:D

Heath
04-15-2007, 06:02 PM
I am waiting for Chad Moeller to get a start.

Seriously.

I mean Ryan Jorgensen can't be all that worse than either of the three up here. Or even Miguel Perez.

Chris Denorfia is missed. Big Time.

Heath
04-15-2007, 06:03 PM

Is a Narron Law like a Man Law?

Who would sit at the Narron Law Table? Jack McKeon?

WVRedsFan
04-15-2007, 06:08 PM
Is a Narron Law like a Man Law?

Who would sit at the Narron Law Table? Jack McKeon?
Wayne Krivsky. They're date-mates. :D

KronoRed
04-15-2007, 06:13 PM

Laws are made to be broken :devil:

dougdirt
04-15-2007, 06:27 PM
I am waiting for Chad Moeller to get a start.

Seriously.

I mean Ryan Jorgensen can't be all that worse than either of the three up here. Or even Miguel Perez.

Chris Denorfia is missed. Big Time.

Well Perez is out half the year. Hopper is hititng the ball real well so far in his rehab stint though, so I REALLY hope someone gets sent to Louisville to make room for him.

captainmorgan07
04-15-2007, 09:20 PM
get him up here fast and ship out moeller

Degenerate39
04-15-2007, 09:32 PM
When Gonzo gets back send down Cruz and bring up Hopper send down Moeller to go with Cruz.

Highlifeman21
04-15-2007, 10:00 PM
The Reds right handed hitters are collectively doing nothing. Hamilton isn't hitting lefties. The Reds need some hitting against lefties.

Hopper isn't a power guy but at least he will get some hits against lefties. And against righties. The Reds are struggling offensively and need a bat.

Norris Hopper.

When you think Norris Hopper is a positive answer to any question, you know your team is in trouble.

Norris Hopper isn't the solution. He will only contribute to the problem.

guttle11
04-15-2007, 10:12 PM
When you think Norris Hopper is a positive answer to any question, you know your team is in trouble.

Not if he replaces Chad Moeller. He would probably hit much better, and provide speed off the bench. I'd take him up here 8 days a week.

reds44
04-15-2007, 10:16 PM

He hit .353 and had an OBP north of .400 last year, albeit in a small sample size.

He is a guy with speed who puts the ball in play. That's something this team needs.

He's better then Moeller, there's no arguing that.

reds44
04-15-2007, 10:35 PM
In his rehab, Hopper is 8-25 and hitting .320. Last year in AAA he hit .347 and in the majors he hit .359 with the Reds.

In his 447 ABs the last 2 years, he has 155 hits. That's good for a .325 average.

Granted, he doesn't offer much else, but he does get hits. He only stuck out 29 times between Louisville and Cincy too.

Tom Servo
04-15-2007, 10:49 PM
I want Hopper up here over Moeller for so many reasons.

boognish
04-15-2007, 11:54 PM
I wish there were a better option, but Hopper is much better than the redundant Chad Moeller.

This bench is atrocious, and it doesn't take much imagination to recall the abomination that was Hollandsworth getting the majority of the playing time in RF during September and McCracken seeing a great del of time as a "bat" off the bench. Hopper adds dimensions the team does not currently have, but he'll have to produce to stave off Krivsky imports Gil and Keepinger once they come off the DL....I don't think those three's skills are anything special, but if Narron uses them wisely (leap of faith), the bench could get a AAAA-style shot in the arm and go from awful to below average.

The back end of the roster is in need of reconstruction, and there is only room for one of those guys in Moeller's place, and Hopper is the only one healthy enough to play.

jimbo
04-16-2007, 12:31 AM
He hit .353 and had an OBP north of .400 last year, albeit in a small sample size.

He is a guy with speed who puts the ball in play. That's something this team needs.

I couldn't agree more. The Reds are in desperate need for some speed off the bench and Hopper fits the bill. There is absolutely no reason I can think of for Moeller to be on this roster. Bring him up.

cincy09
04-16-2007, 07:22 AM
It's so obvious that it probably won't happen. At least not for a while :confused:

Highlifeman21
04-16-2007, 09:22 AM

You're definitely right, Hopper > Moeller. That shouldn't be in question.

My concern is that Jerry Narron will misuse Norris Hopper. Hopper's only value is as a pinch hitter or pinch runner. He's not an everyday player, and he's not a defensive replacement. I fear Jerry Narron will actually start him.

Heath
04-16-2007, 09:48 AM
Well Perez is out half the year. Hopper is hititng the ball real well so far in his rehab stint though, so I REALLY hope someone gets sent to Louisville to make room for him.

Well having Perez hurt half the year does pose a problem if he can't be called up.

Thanks -

KronoRed
04-16-2007, 11:43 AM
I fear Jerry Narron will actually start him.

Justifiable fear, but thankfully I see Jerry starting Hamilton every chance he gets so starts for Hopper would be hard to find.

Unless someone gets hurt ;)

BRM
04-16-2007, 11:46 AM
How bad is the offense when fans are screaming for Norris Hopper? :)

WebScorpion
04-16-2007, 03:53 PM
I'm sure as soon as his rehab stint is over, he'll be up. I'm not sure how well he is right now, but he seems to be playing well regardless. We do need a righty who can get on base against lefties and he's the only viable option. If EE would ever get on track the need wouldn't be quite so glaring...;)

Reds1
04-16-2007, 05:23 PM

Norris Hopper.

I agree, but sample size on Hamilton not hitting lefties is a big low. Especially, considering no one was hitting the lefties he's faced. EE and Phillips will get better - so will Ross for that matter. It's early. In the same way I don't think our pitching will be this strong.

reds44
04-16-2007, 10:56 PM
1-3 with a walk and RBI tonight.

Hitting .364

BRM
04-17-2007, 10:01 AM
1-3 with a walk and RBI tonight.

Hitting .364

He's 4-11 in Louisville. All 4 of his hits have been singles. He also has 2 steals.

Highlifeman21
04-17-2007, 05:18 PM
He's 4-11 in Louisville. All 4 of his hits have been singles. He also has 2 steals.

Padding that SLG%

Kc61
04-17-2007, 05:29 PM

The Reds are hitting just above .230, third worst in the league in batting average. They can use some singles.

And, Reds 1, I agree that Hamilton's hitting against lefties is a small sample size. Ultimately, he probably will do fine. But given his lack of experience, I think hitting him against righties and very few lefties is a good idea, for now.

BRM
04-17-2007, 05:45 PM
The Reds are hitting just above .230, third worst in the league in batting average. They can use some singles.

They are also next to last in slugging so they can use some power even more.