PDA

View Full Version : I really wish we could have seen B.Phil at SS these past few games.. Castro :puke:

WMR
04-16-2007, 10:15 PM
The dude came up as a SS, he knows the position well.

Put Freel at 2B, allow yourself to ride the hot bat, Josh Hamilton, and give your ballclub the best chance to win. That *is* the point of baseball, right?

These Castro starts at SS are just bull, especially when you've got a kid who can play SS like nobody's business.

Afraid of "messing up" Phillips?? Lame.

To quote Herm Edwards: "YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME. YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME."

WMR
04-16-2007, 10:22 PM
And yes, I DID post this before Hamilton hit his PH HR. :D

Our anemic offense MUST have a power bat like Hamilton's in the game.

remdog
04-16-2007, 10:36 PM
I agree that I would like to know how Phillips would do at SS. This was an early season opportunity to find out since there is a fair chance that this situation may very well arise again---especially if Gonzo's son does end up needing surgery during the season.

OTOH, maybe the Reds braintrust already knows what the answer is and has no need to try out the Phillips/Frell scenario. (shrug)

Rem

oneupper
04-16-2007, 10:40 PM
If WK and JN were willing to play Phillips at SS, Felipe Lopez would still be around.

But I agree. Putting Castro in the Lineup not only messes up HIS ABs...but those of the batters around him.

HumnHilghtFreel
04-16-2007, 10:46 PM
I was thinking the same exact thing and talking about it with a friend. AFTER Josh hit his HR though, props to you for getting it out there early:D

kheidg-
04-17-2007, 01:28 AM
I have said it a million times and will say it again -- Castro is not a major league baseball player. He never was. His defense is overrated, a ball not even up the middle tonight he dives and doesn't even come close. Gonzalez would have had it no problem. Castro plays alright defense by not missing the ball and making the easy plays. Overrated defense, horrible offense.

WVRedsFan
04-17-2007, 02:53 AM
Why not bench Freel and play Hamilton? I sympathise with those who want Phillips out of the game because he's really stugling, but look at the comparison of Freel and Hamilton.

Freel -- one run 4 hits, no RBIs and a .267 average
Hamilton -- 5 runs, 5 hits, 7 RBIs, and a .312 average

This is over the last five games. What jumps out at me is run production. Freel has scored only one run, has driven in none and his hits have come in situations not good for scoring runs. Hamilton, on theother hand, has scored 5 runs, dirven in 7 and hit two HR's while keeping an average (and OBP) way up there. If Narron is the kind of guy who plays the hot hand (which remians to be seen), why keep Hamilton out of the lineup? He had one at-bat tonight and accounted for 30% of the offense. Offense is what we need, right? Not scrappiness, but offense, right?

WMR
04-17-2007, 03:40 AM
I agree that I would like to know how Phillips would do at SS. This was an early season opportunity to find out since there is a fair chance that this situation may very well arise again---especially if Gonzo's son does end up needing surgery during the season.

OTOH, maybe the Reds braintrust already knows what the answer is and has no need to try out the Phillips/Frell scenario. (shrug)

Rem

If I had to guess, I'd hafta say that "Baseball Guy" Jerry Narron's head would explode now that B.Phil has been dubbed a "SECOND BASEMAN."

Brain trust... why does that really scare me?

::try to forget Krivsky's comment that he and Jerry Narron are on the same page about everything but fail::

REDREAD
04-17-2007, 09:16 AM
I have said it a million times and will say it again -- Castro is not a major league baseball player.

I'm not sure I'd be that harsh, but Castro is one of the worst players in MLB.

That's why I was totally puzzled that Wayne gave him a 2 year deal. It seems like Wayne hands out 2 year deals to anyone that wants one.

I would've much rather scoured the waiver wire, guys out of options, etc and found our backup SS that way. Sure, there's the risk that they'd be worse than Castro, but it wouldn't be that difficult to at least find someone with more range.

redsfanmia
04-18-2007, 09:24 AM
Marty said talking about Castro "that guy is the best utility player I have ever seen".

membengal
04-18-2007, 09:59 AM
That's a nasty selective blindness Marty must have...

KronoRed
04-18-2007, 10:43 AM
Media in this town have been in love with Castro for years, in 2000 the 700 crew suggested we let Larkin go because Juan Castro was going to be a star

remdog
04-18-2007, 12:05 PM
Media in this town have been in love with Castro for years, in 2000 the 700 crew suggested we let Larkin go because Juan Castro was going to be a star

Instead, much of the media in town have packed their bags because, in reality, they were the dufuses. (Dufi? What's the plural of dufus? :laugh: )

Rem

RichRed
04-18-2007, 01:18 PM

They just got their astronomical terms mixed up. They meant he was going to be an offensive black hole.

That is what they meant, right?

WebScorpion
04-18-2007, 02:16 PM
I really don't know what all the fuss is about. Castro is a role player, we have him for his golden hands in the field. When we need a defensive replacemnt anywhere in the infield, he's our guy...and he's good at it. As a closer, I'd rather have him behind me than Freel. He's not the supersub who starts at every position...that's Freel, because you don't lose any offense with Freel. But at Shortstop, we cannot have a defensive lag, so Castro is the man...we lose offense, but the original plan called for Alex Gonzalez to hit like Castro anyway, we're just lucky. Why confuse Phillips by moving him around? He's the starting second baseman and will always be that until he loses the job...let him get comfortable and continue to perfect himself at that position.

Eric_Davis
04-18-2007, 02:49 PM
I really don't know what all the fuss is about. Castro is a role player, we have him for his golden hands in the field. When we need a defensive replacemnt anywhere in the infield, he's our guy...and he's good at it. As a closer, I'd rather have him behind me than Freel. He's not the supersub who starts at every position...that's Freel, because you don't lose any offense with Freel. But at Shortstop, we cannot have a defensive lag, so Castro is the man...we lose offense, but the original plan called for Alex Gonzalez to hit like Castro anyway, we're just lucky. Why confuse Phillips by moving him around? He's the starting second baseman and will always be that until he loses the job...let him get comfortable and continue to perfect himself at that position.

I agree. Castro, like it or not, is on this team to play defense, especially at SS. He needs at-bats as well as anyone else does, and Narron is going to get him some so that he doesn't rust on the bench. There's no better scenario for Castro to play than now in April with Alex Gonzalez out.

WestOfYou pointed out on another thread that there are many dynamics into why a player is brought to a team other than just stats, and the same goes for playing time. I never would have done what Cito Gaston did with the BlueJays, playing the same 9 guys every day, no matter what. But, it worked for him. Narron has to do what works for him.

I don't think Narron has proved himself to be a bad manager. If anything, he's shown to me to be an improving manager as he gets more experience.

registerthis
04-18-2007, 02:58 PM
Castro is not a major league baseball player.

His 879 major league games played seems to contradict you.

WMR
04-18-2007, 04:26 PM
His 879 major league games played seems to contradict you.

Insanity: Doing the same stupid thing over and over expecting different results :laugh: