PDA

View Full Version : Dear Narron: No More Sitting Hamilton!!!!

redsfan4445
04-16-2007, 11:28 PM
Josh has to start now.. coming off the bnch and another homer ansd this team struggling to score runs.. even the announcers said Josh's presense in the lineup does something different to the attitude of the team.. Narron cant leave him on the bench any longer....

hebroncougar
04-16-2007, 11:30 PM
Josh has to start now.. coming off the bnch and another homer ansd this team struggling to score runs.. even the announcers said Josh's presense in the lineup does something different to the attitude of the team.. Narron cant leave him on the bench any longer....

Who sits? I agree, he needs to play, but if you sit Freel, who leads off? And what do you do against LH? I know who I'd sit.

forfreelin04
04-16-2007, 11:30 PM
Hamilton leads off, he has better plate discipline than Freel anyways

redsfan4445
04-16-2007, 11:31 PM
Who sits? I agree, he needs to play, but if you sit Freel, who leads off? And what do you do against LH? I know who I'd sit.

lead off Phillips if Freel isnt playing. or freel moves to 2b and still leadsoff. and the way Edwin has been swinging he could have a day off and freel can leadoff and play 3rd...

CTA513
04-16-2007, 11:33 PM
Hamilton can probably lead off since he has good plate discipline along with speed.

justincredible
04-16-2007, 11:33 PM
Hamilton would leadoff if Freel doesn't play I would think. He is more of a leadoff hitter than Freel is anyway. There is really no excuse not to start Hamilton from here on out. The man is a gamer for sure.

fooked
04-16-2007, 11:37 PM
As much as I still like Freel, I would rather see Hamilton lead off and Freel or Jr. sit.

Hamilton needs to be in there. If he cools off then sit him down, but right now he should be playing....

Just my 2 cents.

(First post by the way :) )

forfreelin04
04-16-2007, 11:38 PM
lead off Phillips if Freel isnt playing. or freel moves to 2b and still leadsoff. and the way Edwin has been swinging he could have a day off and freel can leadoff and play 3rd...

Phillips is a hacker. If I had the choice he wouldnt touch the first five spots in the lineup. I think he sparks a team when he gets hot but he's not consistent enough to stay atop the lineup.

remdog
04-16-2007, 11:40 PM

But that would mean that Freel is the catcher. ;)

Rem

redsfan30
04-16-2007, 11:40 PM
Yep, Hamilton has to be in there. I'm not sure how you swing it, but it has to be done.

remdog
04-16-2007, 11:41 PM
As much as I still like Freel, I would rather see Hamilton lead off and Freel or Jr. sit.

Hamilton needs to be in there. If he cools off then sit him down, but right now he should be playing....

Just my 2 cents.

(First post by the way :) )

Oh oh, talking about post counts already....geez, you're fooked. :evil:

Rem

hebroncougar
04-16-2007, 11:41 PM

Rem

:D :beerme: Or you could just sit Jr.

Team Clark
04-16-2007, 11:42 PM

Rem

As gutsy as Freel is...why not?:laugh:

thatcoolguy_22
04-16-2007, 11:45 PM
:D :beerme: Or you could just sit Jr.

how about you sit drumroll... no one and allow hamilton to do what he is doing. He is now 5 for 19 or 20. Honestly do you think he should be in the game over KGJ or freel? I'm just kidding put him in center and let Freel roam again!

kbrake
04-16-2007, 11:50 PM
He looked rather human yesterday and seriously it was Elmer tonight. I think he needs to play but I have no problem with him coming off the bench against lefties.

Degenerate39
04-17-2007, 12:52 AM
I think I've seen where Freel was a catcher in high school

NorrisHopper30
04-17-2007, 12:54 AM
Did Marty say on tonight's broadcast that Hamilton used to be a catcher? If this is true, would it be possible that he would play it? He does have a hell of an arm.

justincredible
04-17-2007, 01:07 AM
Did Marty say on tonight's broadcast that Hamilton used to be a catcher? If this is true, would it be possible that he would play it? He does have a hell of an arm.

He could probably play catcher at an all-star level. Hell, if I'm the Raiders I draft him with the #1 pick next weekend.

redsrule2500
04-17-2007, 04:08 AM
Honestly Griffey deserves to sit, but i guess that can't happen :(

muethibp
04-17-2007, 09:23 AM
Honestly Griffey deserves to sit, but i guess that can't happen :(

That's the right answer all the way around. Jr. deserves to sit, but we won't see it.

membengal
04-17-2007, 09:30 AM
He could probably play catcher at an all-star level. Hell, if I'm the Raiders I draft him with the #1 pick next weekend.

No question. Only Chuck Norris dares to step to Josh Hamilton, and even then, only lightly.

Seriously, yeah, he needs to be in very consistently at this point. For those pointing at his ineffectiveness against Lilly, well, might as well not just single Hamilton out for that, but point at the whole team. And at least Hamilton worked counts against Lilly, something painfully few on that team do outside of Dunn.

Dunner44
04-17-2007, 09:31 AM

This is wishful thinking to the extreme, and to top it all off, he's a lefty. So he's not going to play catcher.

bucksfan2
04-17-2007, 10:28 AM
Hamilton, Hatte, and Dunn are the only 3 hitters on the team that can do what a leadoff hitter is supposed to, work the count. Hamilton is the only one who possess plus speed so I say put him at leadoff. He would be similar to a Soriano as leadoff. On his best day Freel doesn't even come close to the talent and ability that Hamilton has. There are very few organizations that would have a player as talented as Hamilton ride the pine for inferior talents. The only one that comes to mind right now is the mets with Milleage. If I am Narron I tell Hamilton I am startning him 5-6 days a week and hitting him 1 or 2. I tell him not to worry if he struggles and just go out and play baseball.

membengal
04-17-2007, 10:30 AM
Hamilton, Hatte, and Dunn are the only 3 hitters on the team that can do what a leadoff hitter is supposed to, work the count. Hamilton is the only one who possess plus speed so I say put him at leadoff. He would be similar to a Soriano as leadoff. On his best day Freel doesn't even come close to the talent and ability that Hamilton has. There are very few organizations that would have a player as talented as Hamilton ride the pine for inferior talents. The only one that comes to mind right now is the mets with Milleage. If I am Narron I tell Hamilton I am startning him 5-6 days a week and hitting him 1 or 2. I tell him not to worry if he struggles and just go out and play baseball.

This is the correct answer.

maniem
04-17-2007, 11:26 AM

A left-handed major league catcher...I'd love to see that...:)

dunner13
04-17-2007, 11:40 AM
I think theres a chance that by june ryan freel will be traded, opening the spot for hamilton. Although hamilton is tearing it up right now after the league sees him a few times there going to find the holes in his swing and he will struggle until he adjusts. I would like to see hamilton start in CF with freel going back to the utility role, he would give us the insurance in case hamilton does start to struggle.

joeberk
04-17-2007, 11:50 AM
As beloved as Ryan Freel is for his effort, he's a utility player who should be starting 2-3 days a week, tops. When he starts for long stretches, he seems to play worse. (I know, I know - I need to generate the stats.)

As Thom/Jeff said last night, what's the point of getting Josh Hamilton to sit him? He's not going to get back up to speed watching, he's going to get back up to speed *playing*.

The only thing I can figure is Narron doesn't want Hamilton's head to get too big. But the sooner they get Hamilton in the starting lineup, the better.

OesterPoster
04-17-2007, 11:50 AM
A left-handed major league catcher...I'd love to see that...:)

Benny Distefano says hi.

BRM
04-17-2007, 11:56 AM
Per John Fay after last night's game:

Narron said Josh Hamilton will play tomorrow. Hamilton hit a two-run homer in the ninth -- his homer third in 18 at-bats. I'm no stat freak but I know a 6.0 home run ratio is pretty good.

hebroncougar
04-17-2007, 11:56 AM
I also think it's important to remember guys.............Hamilton has had all of 20 ab's. The jury is still way, way out on him. I'd sit or move Freel out of the OF about 30% of the time, sit Jr. 20% of the time, that'll get Hamilton 3-5 games a week and you'll get a better feel for what he can do. This will hopefully keep Jr. and Freel healthy as well.

BRM
04-17-2007, 11:59 AM
From C. Trent regarding Josh's homer last night:

I turned to Josh Hamilton as I was headed out of the clubhouse and said, 'Man, you really got that one.' Heck, it was 396 feet into right, a place where the wall is 370. It was a good 10 rows up. 'No' he said. 'You want to see where I got it?' So he pulls out his bat and shows me the mark from the ball. It was on the part of the barrel where it is just beginning to taper down to the handle. He said Dessens tried to get a slider in on im, but it didn't quite slide enough. And, well, it went 396 feet.

OesterPoster
04-17-2007, 12:00 PM
I also think it's important to remember guys.............Hamilton has had all of 20 ab's. The jury is still way, way out on him. I'd sit or move Freel out of the OF about 30% of the time, sit Jr. 20% of the time, that'll get Hamilton 3-5 games a week and you'll get a better feel for what he can do. This will hopefully keep Jr. and Freel healthy as well.

I agree. Move Freel around LF-CF-RF-2nd-3rd to get Hamilton as many ABs as possible. Hamilton might look clueless against some lefties, but I don't see how it helps him to sit on the bench and watch lefties abuse the rest of the Reds lineup anyway. He might as well be in there and learning on the fly.

Chip R
04-17-2007, 12:03 PM
As Thom/Jeff said last night, what's the point of getting Josh Hamilton to sit him? He's not going to get back up to speed watching, he's going to get back up to speed *playing*.

I don't think that when Wayne got Josh he was getting him to play every day.

PuffyPig
04-17-2007, 12:21 PM
I don't think that when Wayne got Josh he was getting him to play every day.

I agree.

When Wayne got Josh it was with the hope that we could hide Josh enough so that we could keep him all year on the roster, send him to the minors in 2008, and maybe get some use out of him down the road.

JOsh has obviously changed that thinking.

He'll get his starts if he keeps producing. But I'm not quite ready to proclaim 4hits and 3 HR's as all star bound. You'll see him get a bunch of starts against RH pitchers coming up. If he keeps hitting, he'll stay, more or less, in the lineup.

bucksfan2
04-17-2007, 01:03 PM
I think Freel should be the odd man out at this point in the sesaon. I ask you guys what does Freel do better than Hamilton??? It is obvious, to me at least, that Hamilton is better than Freel in these areas

Defense
Arm Strenth
Plate Presence
Strike Zone Knowledge
Power

IMO the only thing that Freel has on Hamilton is speed and Freel just doesn't run the bases well enough to maximize that. He is a good base stealer but he makes too many bad decisions and gets picked off or thrown out way too much for his speed. Sure the pitchers will get to know hamilton better but what happens when Hamilton gets to know the pitchers better? Hamilton has shown so far that he can flat out play. Let the guy play!

Chip R
04-17-2007, 01:04 PM
I think Freel should be the odd man out at this point in the sesaon. I ask you guys what does Freel do better than Hamilton???

Freel is scrappier. ;)

hebroncougar
04-17-2007, 01:08 PM
I think Freel should be the odd man out at this point in the sesaon. I ask you guys what does Freel do better than Hamilton??? It is obvious, to me at least, that Hamilton is better than Freel in these areas

Defense
Arm Strenth
Plate Presence
Strike Zone Knowledge
Power

IMO the only thing that Freel has on Hamilton is speed and Freel just doesn't run the bases well enough to maximize that. He is a good base stealer but he makes too many bad decisions and gets picked off or thrown out way too much for his speed. Sure the pitchers will get to know hamilton better but what happens when Hamilton gets to know the pitchers better? Hamilton has shown so far that he can flat out play. Let the guy play!

Again, 20 ab's. The same could be said he does all those things better than Jr. at this point in his career as well.

pedro
04-17-2007, 01:19 PM
Hamilton, Hatte, and Dunn are the only 3 hitters on the team that can do what a leadoff hitter is supposed to, work the count. .

Freel saw more pitches per AB that Hatteberg last year, has a higher lifetime OBP and can actually run. If he's in the lineup, being that he has zero power, he is the best candidate the reds have for a lead off hitter.

remdog
04-17-2007, 01:39 PM
Freel saw more pitches per AB that Hatteberg last year, has a higher lifetime OBP and can actually run. If he's in the lineup, being that he has zero power, he is the best candidate the reds have for a lead off hitter.

Gee, Pedro and I agree. There's obviously something wrong here. :evil:

Rem

osuceltic
04-17-2007, 02:05 PM
I ask you guys what does Freel do better than Hamilton???

Hit left-handers. And this team needs that.

BRM
04-17-2007, 02:09 PM
Hit left-handers. And this team needs that.

He hasn't been this year but he has proven in the past that he hits them well.