PDA

View Full Version : Narron let me down tonight!!

WVPacman
04-16-2007, 11:52 PM
When the bad call infield fly rule was called I was thinking I was going to see Narron come out and REALLY take up for his team and get throwed out.It never happened thow!! Guys if that was me I would have been all in that umps face letting him have it b/c that was a poor call.I guess I would just like to see Narron go out there and FIGHT for his team and show them he is on their side.

If you all was in his situation what would you have done?? I would have gotten ejected plus I would have taken first base with me to the clubhouse.

jimbo
04-17-2007, 12:03 AM
I think he handled the situation just fine. He came out and stuck up for his team, just because he did not get thrown out does not mean he didn't. It looked like he gave the ump quite a lashing from what I saw.

Unleashing your anger like a madman is not always the right way to go.

MWM
04-17-2007, 12:06 AM
He let YOU down? Didn't realize he had an obligation to you personally.

WVPacman
04-17-2007, 12:07 AM
I think he handled the situation just fine. He came out and stuck up for his team, just because he did not get thrown out does not mean he didn't. It looked like he gave the ump quite a lashing from what I saw.

Unleashing your anger like a madman is not always the right way to go.

I understand what your saying but that was a big call that ruined our inning.If I was in his shoes then I would've had to watch the rest of the game in the clubhouse b/c that really changed the game in the brewers favor.

jimbo
04-17-2007, 12:14 AM
I understand what your saying but that was a big call that ruined our inning.If I was in his shoes then I would've had to watch the rest of the game in the clubhouse b/c that really changed the game in the brewers favor.

Not really. Griffey grounded out to the pitcher right after that, so if Conine had been given first base Griffey's hit would probably have been a double play (1-2-3) and there still would have been runners on second and third with two out.

I know what you are saying because my temper probably would have gotten the best of me, but I think Narron handled himself well and got his point across.

dougdirt
04-17-2007, 12:16 AM
I would have gone nuts... thrown some things on the field....

Narron was fine though. He was obviously not happy with the call and he let the umpire know about it just fine in my book.

TeamBoone
04-17-2007, 12:18 AM
I don't think he held back at all. The ump probably didn't have the heart to throw him out because he knew he was right, even though the call wasn't changed.

That one ranks right up there as one of the dumbest calls I've ever seen. The second base ump (?) could not possibly have been watching that play.

I hope they showed it on the jumbotron a few times.

WVPacman
04-17-2007, 12:20 AM
Not really. Griffey grounded out to the pitcher right after that, so if Conine had been given first base Griffey's hit would probably have been a double play (1-2-3) and there still would have been runners on second and third with two out.

I know what you are saying because my temper probably would have gotten the best of me, but I think Narron handled himself well and got his point across.

I agree with you and your temper probably would have been different if you and I was in that situation.I guess what im trying to say is I would like to see Narron take the pinella and mclenden approch.Not all the time just sometimes.

TeamBoone
04-17-2007, 12:21 AM
I agree with you and your temper probably would have been different if you and I was in that situation.I guess what im trying to say is I would like to see Narron take the pinella and mclenden approch.Not all the time just sometimes.

I wouldn't. I like Lou as much as the next person, but I always thought the base throwing was tactless.

WVPacman
04-17-2007, 12:23 AM
I don't think he held back at all. The ump probably didn't have the heart to throw him out because he knew he was right, even though the call wasn't changed.

That one ranks right up there as one of the dumbest calls I've ever seen. The second base ump (?) could not possibly have been watching that play.

I hope they showed it on the jumbotron a few times.

Teamboone,I say you are probably right about the ump not throwing narron out b/c he knew he screwed up.Dougdirt,buddy im right with you I would have thrown a fit.

Degenerate39
04-17-2007, 12:34 AM
I was disappointed that he didn't get thrown out also. I know if I was the manager and that happened I would've been kicked out after the first 2 words I said.

WVPacman
04-17-2007, 12:41 AM
I was disappointed that he didn't get thrown out also. I know if I was the manager and that happened I would've been kicked out after the first 2 words I said.

Exactly,Thats mainly what I was trying to say. I just think a manager should REALLY take up for his team.Don't get me wrong im possitive that he does take up for his team any chance he can.A play like that one tonight I just exspected to see him boiling mad and and really getting in that umps face but oh well.

HumnHilghtFreel
04-17-2007, 12:56 AM

Hindsight is 20/20.

We didn't know that when it happened. Maybe if Jerry got tossed it would have lit a fire under Griff's ass and he jacks the next pitch out of the park.

WVPacman
04-17-2007, 01:02 AM
Hindsight is 20/20.

We didn't know that when it happened. Maybe if Jerry got tossed it would have lit a fire under Griff's ass and he jacks the next pitch out of the park.

Exactly,that might have woke up the team then everybody would have been fired up and who knows we might have won the game tonight.

mth123
04-17-2007, 04:51 AM
I wouldn't. I like Lou as much as the next person, but I always thought the base throwing was tactless.

Yep. The drama that some of these managers show seems a little put on to me. I thought Narron was fine.

I don't really like Lou's act and prefer the way Narron handled things. He made his point.

WMR
04-17-2007, 04:55 AM
If I'd been managing, he wouldn't have had any choice but to throw me out after I was done with him.

Ltlabner
04-17-2007, 08:12 AM
I posted in the GT that I thought that it was a prime time for a complete meltdown mostly to fire up the team and deflect some of the emotional let down they must have felt after the horrable call. I wouldn't have done it for any reason other than that. They are very unlikely to reverse the call and ultimatley the outcome wasn't changed much. But if you can offset the complete kick in the teath that horrable call might have inflicted, that's a good thing.

TheBigLebowski
04-17-2007, 08:31 AM
Every once in a while, a manager needs to really lay into an umpire after a call like that. However, it's more appropriate - or, "needed" when said manager is in charge of a club that's really struggling. We're playing decent baseball. To melt down in front of an ump every time he makes a bad call is simply too much. I thought Narron did fine.

WVRedsFan
04-17-2007, 08:56 AM
I posted in the GT that I thought that it was a prime time for a complete meltdown mostly to fire up the team and deflect some of the emotional let down they must have felt after the horrable call. I wouldn't have done it for any reason other than that. They are very unlikely to reverse the call and ultimatley the outcome wasn't changed much. But if you can offset the complete kick in the teath that horrable call might have inflicted, that's a good thing.

I have no problem with what Narron did on that call. The look on his face after realized what had gone on said it all. A complete meltdown would not make the Reds hit better or pitch lgihts out. It was a horrible call and Narron made sure the ump knew what he and most baseball saavy thought. It wasn't going to change anything and getting kicked out would not have inspired the team to do anything better.

westofyou
04-17-2007, 09:41 AM
He let YOU down? Didn't realize he had an obligation to you personally.

Football mentality and baseball ... oil and water.

TOBTTReds
04-17-2007, 09:47 AM
I told everyone at work the "head-bob" was coming...it didn't. I was dissapointed. That's my fav move in all of sports. Nothing gets the fans going like a JN head going back and forth quickly.

RBA
04-17-2007, 09:51 AM
I'm thinking the umpire admitted his mistake to Narron, but it was too late to change the call once he signaled the infield fly. I'm sure Narron wanted to yell more, but when people are honest and tell you they had made a mistake, it's hard to stay upset at them. And this is why I think Narron held back.

Far East
04-17-2007, 02:54 PM
I'm curious about the scoring on Conine's infield fly rule call by the ump.

According to Yahoo Sports, Conine (in the box score) was 0 for 3, no RBI:"Bot 6th: Cincinnati- J. Conine popped out to shallow center, R. Freel scored, B. Phillips to third, A. Dunn to second." Shouldn't Connine have gotten an RBI?

What if the Brewer second baseman had actually caught the ball (without the infield fly rule being called) over the shoulder, sprinting into the outfield and all runners -- but especially Freel who scored -- had tagged up and advanced a base. That would have been a sac fly for Conine, right?

Perhaps it still should be a sac fly because baserunners, including Freel, did advance a base after the "fly ball out" -- "at their own peril," or whatever the infield fly rule wording states.

If a runner tries to advance on a real infield fly, must he wait (to tag up) until the batted ball touches the fielder's glove?

Should the Brewers have appealed that Freel, Phillips, or Dunn be thrown out for leaving their bases without tagging up? Did the Brewers miss a triple play opportunity?

Is the Yahoo Sports' scoring accurate?

Redsland
04-17-2007, 06:33 PM
The official scorer changed the call today. Conine has been credited with an RBI on the play, which has been dubbed a "run scoring infield fly," per Trent (http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/).

TOBTTReds
04-18-2007, 12:36 AM
The official scorer changed the call today. Conine has been credited with an RBI on the play, which has been dubbed a "run scoring infield fly," per Trent (http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/).

wow. Thanks for that. I had no idea.

gonelong
04-18-2007, 12:46 AM

I'd bet that is pretty rare.

I'd also like to pile on the Trent bandwagon. Refreshing.

GL

WVPacman
04-18-2007, 12:58 AM
I told everyone at work the "head-bob" was coming...it didn't. I was dissapointed. That's my fav move in all of sports. Nothing gets the fans going like a JN head going back and forth quickly.

LOL I was waiting for it to man but it never happened.Like another poster said I think a manager has to throw a temper tantrum sometimes just to show the team hey im on your side.

Ltlabner
04-18-2007, 06:07 AM

Is that a backdoor way for the umps to admit they really blew the call without having to really admit it?

Redsland
04-18-2007, 11:36 AM
No, it's the Official Scorer (Glen Sample) revising his call after reflection and review of the play in question. The umpires aren't part of that equation, apart from the fact that Glen is trying to document their decision making.

paintmered
04-18-2007, 11:44 AM
As an aside, the road/sidewalk alongside Marge Schott Stadium (worst. name. ever.) at UC is named in Glen Sample's honor.