PDA

View Full Version : Trent Rosenfrakenkrauts on Hamilton

Puffy
04-17-2007, 12:18 PM
"I turned to Josh Hamilton as I was headed out of the clubhouse and said, 'Man, you really got that one.' Heck, it was 396 feet into right, a place where the wall is 370. It was a good 10 rows up. 'No' he said. 'You want to see where I got it?' So he pulls out his bat and shows me the mark from the ball. It was on the part of the barrel where it is just beginning to taper down to the handle. He said Dessens tried to get a slider in on im, but it didn't quite slide enough. And, well, it went 396 feet."

Joseph
04-17-2007, 12:20 PM
Good stuffs.

People are really jumping on him in fantasy baseball leagues, which means people are noticing what he's doing overall. I hope this is the first chapter in a nice long story and not just a few good months before he realizes he's not supposed to hit like this and reverts to the normal level of people who don't do something for 3 years then try to start again.

Ltlabner
04-17-2007, 12:22 PM
Good stuffs.

People are really jumping on him in fantasy baseball leagues, which means people are noticing what he's doing overall. I hope this is the first chapter in a nice long story and not just a few good months before he realizes he's not supposed to hit like this and reverts to the normal level of people who don't do something for 3 years then try to start again.

Why am I so torn between really, really, really getting excited about this kid, and having that lurking, ominious fealing this hollywood story is going to end in Stanley Wilson-esque disaster?

westofyou
04-17-2007, 12:25 PM
Why am I so torn between really, really, really getting excited about this kid, and having that lurking, ominious fealing this hollywood story is going to end in Stanley Wilson-esque disaster?

Because in the USA Horatio Alger always tows a wagon behind him with William Randolph Hearst taking notes.

Ltlabner
04-17-2007, 12:27 PM
Because in the USA Horatio Alger always tows a wagon behind him with William Randolph Hearst taking notes.

Oh.

I thought it was because I watched too many "True Hollywood Stories" on E.

But it could be that Horatio Cane thing too I suppose.

Joseph
04-17-2007, 12:27 PM

I admit I have had fears and thoughts of the disaster outcome as well, but I try not to voice them ever. I try to limit my fears to the ones related to baseball skill and production. Everything I've heard the man say indicates the problems are a past thing and thanks to his family and faith he won't relapse.

Ltlabner
04-17-2007, 12:38 PM
I admit I have had fears and thoughts of the disaster outcome as well, but I try not to voice them ever. I try to limit my fears to the ones related to baseball skill and production. Everything I've heard the man say indicates the problems are a past thing and thanks to his family and faith he won't relapse.

You are right, I probably shouldn't let my mind even go down that road.

Narron takes a lot of heat here, but I think he, and the Reds FO deserve some credit for how they've helped to strengthen his support network. Seems like they are handling the situation very well thus far.

That's not to take anything away from Josh, who's the one who has to do the hard work and make the good choices.

osuceltic
04-17-2007, 12:51 PM
Have any of you paid attention to Vin Baker's career in the NBA? Good, talented player. Had a number of good years in Milwaukee, then was traded to Seattle and eventually Boston. Along the road, he became an alcoholic, gained weight, and deteriorated into a truly terrible player. Then the Celtics got him in rehab, he completely changed his body and came back as a good, productive player again.

Until ... He relapsed and started drinking again. It happened almost overnight. His play fell off again and his body started changing again. In the blink of an eye, it was over.

So I definitely worry about a relapse. Doesn't keep me from enjoying Hamilton's performance so far.

Natty Redlocks
04-17-2007, 02:46 PM
I'm glad he's doing well. Most importantly, I hope he stays clean, for the sake of his family, even if he winds up washing out as a player.

Nah, I'm just kidding! I'll take 2-3 years of cheap superstar production before he inevitably succumbs to the temptations great wealth brings. ;)

Matt700wlw
04-17-2007, 04:10 PM
He's on pace for 83 HRs and 195 RBIs

:D

Matt700wlw
04-17-2007, 04:11 PM
"I turned to Josh Hamilton as I was headed out of the clubhouse and said, 'Man, you really got that one.' Heck, it was 396 feet into right, a place where the wall is 370. It was a good 10 rows up. 'No' he said. 'You want to see where I got it?' So he pulls out his bat and shows me the mark from the ball. It was on the part of the barrel where it is just beginning to taper down to the handle. He said Dessens tried to get a slider in on im, but it didn't quite slide enough. And, well, it went 396 feet."

That's amazing.....he didn't even "get it all" - imagine if he HAD "got it all"

Heath
04-17-2007, 04:49 PM
He's on pace for 83 HRs and 195 RBIs

:D

Not if Jerry Narron has anything to say about that........

M2
04-17-2007, 05:39 PM
Rosencrans is an excellent reporter. This is the sort of detail that makes the game and it's personalities come alive. Not only does it elicit a "holy crow" reaction from the reader, but you get the sense of how giddy Hobbs is over what he's doing at the moment (and good for him that he is).

The best part is long homers off the bat handle will quickly work their way into the Hobbs legend. You can expect to hear all about on Baseball Tonight in the coming weeks.

OnBaseMachine
04-17-2007, 06:52 PM
I could tell from his swing that he didn't hit the ball on the sweet part of the bat, which makes it even more impressive. This kid has phenominal power, along with great plate discipline. Look at how good he is now, now just imagine where he'll be later this year or next year. He's going to hit 20 homers this year if gets 400 atbats.

membengal
04-17-2007, 07:16 PM
It makes me happy on days when Hamilton is in the line-up. To be at this point from where I was at, rolling my eyes, when the Reds acquisition of him via Rule 5 was announced, is simply staggering...

vaticanplum
04-17-2007, 08:26 PM
Rosencrans is an excellent reporter. This is the sort of detail that makes the game and it's personalities come alive. Not only does it elicit a "holy crow" reaction from the reader, but you get the sense of how giddy Hobbs is over what he's doing at the moment (and good for him that he is).

I agree. I'm really really happy with Rosencrans.

Blimpie
04-17-2007, 09:48 PM
I agree. I'm really really happy with Rosencrans.Agreed. I just wish he would get a sports coat that comes close to fitting him. :D

That publicity photo on his blog is ham-n-egger all the way...

pedro
04-17-2007, 09:52 PM
I like him too.

Mario-Rijo
04-18-2007, 06:05 PM
That publicity photo on his blog is ham-n-egger all the way...

You'd think a guy with a name like Blimpie could appreciate that type of gear. :laugh: :p:

MartyFan
04-18-2007, 06:10 PM
Rosencrans (IMHO) is much better than the guy he replaced...who I never read regularly...but I like Rosencrans a lot.

Matt700wlw
04-18-2007, 06:34 PM
Rosencrans (IMHO) is much better than the guy he replaced...who I never read regularly...but I like Rosencrans a lot.

I liked Lancaster.

I also like C. Trent....plus his first name is one letter, which rocks.

westofyou
04-18-2007, 06:41 PM

The Post has been trotting out good guys for years, Horrigan, Lancaster, even Tony Jackson had his moments this is the paper that had Swope back in the day and then Earl Lawson.

Meanwhile over at the Enquirer they're still waiting for the replacement of Jack Ryder to appear.

paintmered
04-18-2007, 06:43 PM
I agree. I'm really really happy with Rosencrans.

Agreed.

I expected great things from him. He really shined when he covered the Bearcats.

Wheelhouse
04-18-2007, 06:47 PM
Good stuffs.

Hamilton is not normal. As far as I can see, he is not vulnerable to any particular part of the strike zone. He hits to all fields. He has excellent patience at the plate. And I don't see any pitch that can ace him. He hits fastballs, breaking balls, and off speed pitches with equal ferocity. No one who scouted him is surprised at his performance at the ML level--they are surprised he's been able to stay away from the drugs. Hamilton is an anomaly in normal player development, and his performance is only surprising to those who have never seen him before. Scouts that called him the greatest prospect of his generation (not just his year) are not surprised at what Josh is doing a whit. And one has to assume the Reds scouts that advised Krivsky had an inkling about him too.

Wheelhouse
04-18-2007, 06:51 PM
Rosecrans is all thumbs up from me...but sometimes his postings come a little late in the day, but hey, I like a night on the town too...;)

StillFunkyB
04-18-2007, 06:58 PM
Hamilton is not normal. As far as I can see, he is not vulnerable to any particular part of the strike zone. He hits to all fields. He has excellent patience at the plate. And I don't see any pitch that can ace him. He hits fastballs, breaking balls, and off speed pitches with equal ferocity. No one who scouted him is surprised at his performance at the ML level--they are surprised he's been able to stay away from the drugs. Hamilton is an anomaly in normal player development, and his performance is only surprising to those who have never seen him before. Scouts that called him the greatest prospect of his generation (not just his year) are not surprised at what Josh is doing a whit. And one has to assume the Reds scouts that advised Krivsky had an inkling about him too.

I was thinking the same thing. I remember hearing about him when he was drafted, and things along the lines of "Absolute can't miss" which is something when you are a #1 pick in baseball.

I think we are all more worried for Josh the man, than Josh the baseball player. We all hope, and pray that he has turned the corner for good with all the drugs. From everything I have seen, and heard, and read it seems as if Josh is a wonderful human being that just made some bad choices. Support, support, support is what will help him now, and it seems as if the Reds are doing exactly that.

I am ECSTATIC about Josh Hamilton. I haven't been this excited about some young players in a long time. The last time I remember was when I was still in school, and reading about some prospects the Indians had coming up. I think it was some guy named Thome, and the other was Ramirez ;)

Blimpie
04-18-2007, 07:07 PM
You'd think a guy with a name like Blimpie could appreciate that type of gear. :laugh: :p:With my name, you should think sub shops--not so much John Candy.

:cool:

camisadelgolf
04-19-2007, 04:04 AM
I like Lancaster, but I get the feeling he intentionally dumbs himself down to relate to more fans (no offense).

Heath
04-19-2007, 10:38 AM
The Post has been trotting out good guys for years, Horrigan, Lancaster, even Tony Jackson had his moments this is the paper that had Swope back in the day and then Earl Lawson.

Meanwhile over at the Enquirer they're still waiting for the replacement of Jack Ryder to appear.

Ironically the number one paper in Cincinnati has never had a "quality" writer covering the Reds. I think John Erardi could do it and do it well, why he's not, I'm not sure :dunno:

One could argue that the Dayton papers - Collett, Burick, Paul Meyer, McCoy, et. al along with the other folks like Minzer in Hamilton and Bob Hunter (now in Columbus) formerly of Middletown/Hamilton did fairly well.

Sea Ray
04-19-2007, 11:07 AM

You gotta wonder with all that talent why more teams weren't willing to give him the same shot the Reds have. At the very least, the D-Rays and Cubs both passed on him when they had to do next to nothing to try him out. Here's a 5 tool player with skills equal to any young player of the past 10-20 years who's only 26. You have a chance to try him out for free and in the D-Rays case all it took was a spot on the 40 man. I wonder how many other teams had him on their radar in the Rule 5 draft. All these rule 5 draftees have some issue but how many of them have this sort of upside?

Sea Ray
04-19-2007, 11:21 AM
I thought this site which projects how Rule 5 players will do in 2007 was interesting. Notice that Josh Hamilton may very well surpass these numbers by the end of the month:

2007 ZiPS Projections
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Player AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB BA OBP SLG
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Budde 206 19 40 11 0 5 19 13 57 1 .194 .253 .320
Donachie 338 42 72 18 0 5 24 33 100 0 .213 .287 .311
Flores 504 45 108 29 0 14 53 26 155 1 .214 .263 .355
Goleski 424 51 95 25 0 15 54 37 130 4 .224 .291 .389
Hamilton 165 16 43 10 0 5 26 11 36 4 .261 .305 .412
Machado 359 48 86 11 2 3 30 34 45 14 .240 .310 .306
Phelps 426 39 119 21 2 21 72 31 107 2 .279 .338 .486
Smith 250 28 60 11 3 8 30 14 70 5 .240 .284 .404

http://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/files/oracle/discussion/2007_zips_projections_major_league_rule_5_draft/

lollipopcurve
04-19-2007, 11:22 AM
I wonder how many other teams had him on their radar in the Rule 5 draft. All these rule 5 draftees have some issue but how many of them have this sort of upside?

Stories after the draft suggested the Marlins, who had the 6th choice, were targeting Hamilton (Dan Jennings, who used to work for Tampa Bay and now works for the Marlins, drafted Hamilton for TB in 99). Apparently, the Reds suspected the Marlins might be interested, so before the draft they worked a cash deal with the Cubs for the 3rd pick, getting the Cubs to agree to select whoever the Reds wanted. The Cubs did not choose Hamilton on their own -- they were informed by the Reds at the moment of the selection, per the prearranged deal.

I think it's safe to say that Rule V draftees with Hamilton's upside are very few and far between, perhaps nonexistent.

Chip R
04-19-2007, 11:26 AM
You gotta wonder with all that talent why more teams weren't willing to give him the same shot the Reds have. At the very least, the D-Rays and Cubs both passed on him when they had to do next to nothing to try him out. Here's a 5 tool player with skills equal to any young player of the past 10-20 years who's only 26. You have a chance to try him out for free and in the D-Rays case all it took was a spot on the 40 man. I wonder how many other teams had him on their radar in the Rule 5 draft. All these rule 5 draftees have some issue but how many of them have this sort of upside?

I'm thinking the Rays had probably tired of him. All those problems for a guy in your organization is not exactly an exciting prospect for that team. Even if they thought he was fully recovered, teams would be taking a gamble on drafting him. And that's the other reason. If you are going to draft a Rule 5 guy, he has to be on your roster the whole year. If you're a team like the Cubs and you just spent eleventy jillion dollars on players and you brought in a guy like Lou, you are going to have a "win now" mentality and you aren't going to want to try to work him in the lineup. Plus you wonder if he is recovered. One day he's in spring training the next day he could be in a crackhouse. Nobody in the draft had as much baggage as Josh did - and does. And it's not like a lot of teams passed on him either. The Cubs drafted him and they had the 4th pick. The Reds were savvy enough to make a deal with them. Hindsight's 20/20. The gamble is paying off now. Some other team may have buried him on the bench.

camisadelgolf
04-19-2007, 12:43 PM
I think a lot of people in the D-Rays organiyation believed Hamilton wouldn't be taken. Also, if they put him on the 40-man roster, it would have raised expectations for Hamilton, and I think they were actively trying to keep pressure off of him for fear of a relapse.