PDA

View Full Version : Freel at Catcher?

Spike
04-17-2007, 11:05 PM
Even before the Game started, I liked the offensive lineup the Reds put up tonight. Batting Hamilton second really put everything else into place. The problem? Encarnacion was out of the lineup.

R. Freel 3B
J. Hamilton CF
A. Dunn LF
K. Griffey RF
B. Phillips 2B
S. Hatteberg 1B
A. Gonzalez SS
J. Valentin C

If only Freel could catch! What a lineup that would be. Insert Encarnacion in between Griffey and Phillips. I love that lineup!
R. Freel C
J. Hamilton CF
A. Dunn LF
K. Griffey RF
E. Encarnacion 3B
B. Phillips 2B
S. Hatteberg 1B
A. Gonzalez SS

Conine and Hatteberg are interchangeable.

If only Freel could catch!

SeeinRed
04-17-2007, 11:28 PM
Even before the Game started, I liked the offensive lineup the Reds put up tonight. Batting Hamilton second really put everything else into place. The problem? Encarnacion was out of the lineup.

R. Freel 3B
J. Hamilton CF
A. Dunn LF
K. Griffey RF
B. Phillips 2B
S. Hatteberg 1B
A. Gonzalez SS
J. Valentin C

If only Freel could catch! What a lineup that would be. Insert Encarnacion in between Griffey and Phillips. I love that lineup!
R. Freel C
J. Hamilton CF
A. Dunn LF
K. Griffey RF
E. Encarnacion 3B
B. Phillips 2B
S. Hatteberg 1B
A. Gonzalez SS

Conine and Hatteberg are interchangeable.

If only Freel could catch!

I'd definately say that EE needed a night off. He was looking pretty frustrated, and when you are like that a day off can work wonders. Especially when it is all mental which it is with EE. Having said that and getting back to your opinion, It would be a rather intriguing lineup.

KronoRed
04-17-2007, 11:31 PM
If Freel were even adequate at catcher the Reds wouldn't be carrying 3 of them.

Good lineup though, we need the DH ;)

TeamSelig
04-18-2007, 12:01 AM
Freel 2B
Hamilton CF
Dunn LF
Encarnacion 3B
Griffey RF
Phillips SS
Hatteberg 1B
Valentin C

WVPacman
04-18-2007, 12:11 AM
I liked this lieup alot tonight and the only way we can keep this lineup imo is to trade EE.Leave the lineup as it was tonight BUT Phillips,Hatty,or Conine has to bat 4th to seperate the leftys.

KronoRed
04-18-2007, 12:27 AM
Freel 2B
Hamilton CF
Dunn LF
Encarnacion 3B
Griffey RF
Phillips SS
Hatteberg 1B
Valentin C
That put our 14 mill shortstop on the bench :help:

TeamSelig
04-18-2007, 12:55 AM
Yeah, but I wouldn't mind seein that lineup here and there to maximize our offense

PickOff
04-18-2007, 07:38 PM
If Freel were even adequate at catcher the Reds wouldn't be carrying 3 of them.

Ye of mucho faith.

I think I remember hearing that he was the emergency catcher pre Krivsky. Anyone else recall this?

Razor Shines
04-18-2007, 07:46 PM
Ye of mucho faith.

I think I remember hearing that he was the emergency catcher pre Krivsky. Anyone else recall this?

I'm pretty sure that Hatte is the emergency catcher. He used to catch, I think. I could be wrong.

membengal
04-18-2007, 07:49 PM
Yup. He used to be a Catcher. If the Reds ever become the first team in the history of recorded baseball time to need a fourth catcher during a game, they're covered...

(Cue WOY to explain exactly when that has happened before)

Dunner44
04-18-2007, 09:01 PM
I'm pretty sure that Hatte is the emergency catcher. He used to catch, I think. I could be wrong.

Freel was the emergency catcher when it was just LaRue and Javy. Two years ago, when LaRue had a fractured arm bone and Javy was injured as well, LaRue was on the record as saying he'd rather cut off his arm than let Freel catch.

reds44
04-18-2007, 09:19 PM
I think Freel would literally die if you made him play catcher.

Wheelhouse
04-19-2007, 01:43 AM
Freel can't even say his own name on the FSN promo--how could he call a game?

BRM
04-19-2007, 10:34 AM
Can Freel pitch?

Redsland
04-19-2007, 11:26 AM
Interesting (http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070419/SPT05/704190327/1027) you should ask that.

FREEL HAS A PLAN - Before the game, Freel - who now appears to be the team's third catcher - was asked about the possibility of playing all nine positions during a game and how he'd approach an appearance on the mound.

Turns out Freel has thought about a similar scenario.

"I already have it pretty much planned out," Freel said. "I'm going to throw the first one behind the guy's head, just to make him think that he doesn't know what the heck is going on. Then, I'll probably groove in a strike. Hopefully, he doesn't hit a home run. Then I'll throw the next one over his head again, and then we'll kind of play around like that."

But what if the batter charges the mound?

"I'm hoping (Adam) Dunn can get in from left field," Freel said. "Either that or I'll run into left field and hide behind Dunn. He's not going to catch me, I can tell you that."

PuffyPig
04-19-2007, 11:44 AM
I think we are a better team with Gonzo plaing SS and Phillips playing second than Phillips playing SS and Freel at second.

The (little) extra that Freel will bring for offense isn't even close to matching the big downgrade in defense.

KronoRed
04-19-2007, 02:13 PM
Freel's plan has a one problem, what if the guy at bat is faster then him? ;)

Benihana
04-19-2007, 02:18 PM

He did. I think he came up with the RedSox as a catcher. What about moving him back there and then letting Freel and EdE handle the infield corners? Question is, which one (Freel or EdE) would you rather have playing 3B, with the other one at 1B?

PuffyPig
04-19-2007, 03:17 PM
He did. I think he came up with the RedSox as a catcher. What about moving him back there and then letting Freel and EdE handle the infield corners? Question is, which one (Freel or EdE) would you rather have playing 3B, with the other one at 1B?

Hatte don't catch anymore, to the point that Freel, not him is the emergency catcher.

Give up the ghost that either Freel or Hatte will catch.

westofyou
04-19-2007, 03:34 PM
Yup. He used to be a Catcher. If the Reds ever become the first team in the history of recorded baseball time to need a fourth catcher during a game, they're covered...

(Cue WOY to explain exactly when that has happened before)

Three in a game
REDS 9TH: Griffey walked; Darcy forced Griffey (pitcher to
shortstop) [Darcy to first]; DRIESSEN BATTED FOR PEREZ; Driessen
flied out to left; PLUMMER BATTED FOR BENCH; Plummer struck
out; Plummer ejected arguing checked swing; 0 R, 0 H, 0
E, 1 LOB. Reds 7, Expos 0.

EXPOS 9TH: DRIESSEN STAYED IN GAME (PLAYING 1B); YOUNGBLOOD
REPLACED PLUMMER (PLAYING C );

redsmetz
04-19-2007, 03:38 PM
Three in a game
REDS 9TH: Griffey walked; Darcy forced Griffey (pitcher to
shortstop) [Darcy to first]; DRIESSEN BATTED FOR PEREZ; Driessen
flied out to left; PLUMMER BATTED FOR BENCH; Plummer struck
out; Plummer ejected arguing checked swing; 0 R, 0 H, 0
E, 1 LOB. Reds 7, Expos 0.

EXPOS 9TH: DRIESSEN STAYED IN GAME (PLAYING 1B); YOUNGBLOOD
REPLACED PLUMMER (PLAYING C );

I think I remember that game, but why was Plummer batting for Bench in that game?

westofyou
04-19-2007, 03:41 PM
I think I remember that game, but why was Plummer batting for Bench in that game?

Big Lead, it was part of a bigger replacement trend

Reds 7, Expos 0.

EXPOS 7TH: FLYNN REPLACED ROSE (PLAYING 2B); DARCY REPLACED
MORGAN (PITCHING); BAILEY REPLACED GULLETT (PLAYING 3B);