PDA

View Full Version : Seabass?

Eric_Davis
04-18-2007, 12:54 PM
I've never heard that term before, and though I read through the entire game thread last night, and enjoyed every bit of it, I never even noticed the reference. I wonder if I'm of the majority or the minority around here who don't even know what Seabass is referencing, or the story behind it.

So, why is it offensive? Or is it endearing? And, what does Alex Gonzalez think of it? The kicker for the Raiders loves it, (knowing him personally) I guess that's why I didn't even pay attention to it?

Last night's game thread was absolutely wonderful....full of good humor, a good balance of play-by-play, and analysis and excitement. I had to leave it when we were down by a run, and got home and finished reading the whole thing before seeing the final score. I really enjoyed it.

As one poster pointed out, it's like sitting in the stands with a bunch of friends watching the game. Sometimes a side conversation will break out for a moment, and that makes it enjoyable, and sometimes dull (I have the choice to read fast through that), but as last night was a great example, the flow of the game continued. Just like when you're in the stands, the game is what's in the background, and you're there to share the experience of speaking to others about both the game and other things.

Degenerate39
04-18-2007, 02:18 PM
All I know is he got it from his playing days in Florida. Was it Millar that gave it to him? But personally I like Bonzo Gonzo better.

kaldaniels
04-18-2007, 02:30 PM
It is a legitimate, albeit rarely used nickname for Alex. Type Alex Gonzalez Seabass into google and you'll see that the nickname pretty much just pops up in blogs, but not much if any in the media. I just ignore it however. I do feel that those who do use it are trying to jam it down everyone else's throat, along the lines of what Boss-Hog said in his post. I bet 1% of this site knew that his nickname was Seabass before he came to the Reds. Which led to some posters using that term in their thread knowing others will be like "who are you talking about", then the orignal "Seabass" poster will get a superiority complex and will be able to speak down to the person who questoned the name Seabass. Thats my take as an amateur psychologist. Don't act like you don't know what I'm talking about. :D

And...speaking of nicknames...how is it Hafner is "Donkey" and Dunn is "Big Donkey"....can you have 2 Donkey nicknames in the state of Ohio? Seems like we need a Donkey showdown. (Granted, Dunn is the BIG Donkey)

RichRed
04-18-2007, 02:31 PM
You guys talking about Chuckles?

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1282963&highlight=gonzo%3F+seabass%3F+chuckles#post1282963

BigJohn
04-18-2007, 02:46 PM
I thought it was big dunkey!!!!

EddieMilner
04-18-2007, 02:48 PM
I always thought people used Seabass because they didn't know how to spell Gonzalez. Misspelling a player's name on your team is more embarrassing than using a rarely used and seldom known nickname. ;)

rotnoid
04-18-2007, 02:48 PM
I thought Hafner was Pronk?

Team Clark
04-18-2007, 02:49 PM
It is a legitimate, albeit rarely used nickname for Alex. Type Alex Gonzalez Seabass into google and you'll see that the nickname pretty much just pops up in blogs, but not much if any in the media. I just ignore it however. I do feel that those who do use it are trying to jam it down everyone else's throat, along the lines of what Boss-Hog said in his post. I bet 1% of this site knew that his nickname was Seabass before he came to the Reds. Which led to some posters using that term in their thread knowing others will be like "who are you talking about", then the orignal "Seabass" poster will get a superiority complex and will be able to speak down to the person who questoned the name Seabass. Thats my take as an amateur psychologist. Don't act like you don't know what I'm talking about. :D

And...speaking of nicknames...how is it Hafner is "Donkey" and Dunn is "Big Donkey"....can you have 2 Donkey nicknames in the state of Ohio? Seems like we need a Donkey showdown. (Granted, Dunn is the BIG Donkey)

I've never heard Hafner referred to as "donkey". I have heard him referred to as "Pronk".

dlconn
04-18-2007, 03:14 PM
I've never heard Hafner referred to as "donkey". I have heard him referred to as "Pronk".

Pronk is a combination of project and donkey.

Danny Serafini
04-18-2007, 03:15 PM
From what my Indians loving friend has told me Pronk is a mixture of Project and Donkey. Though "Project Donkey" sounds like a good nickname. Or maybe a Disney movie.

And it appears I'm a touch too slow. Oh well. :)

flyer85
04-18-2007, 03:17 PM
I thought Hafner was Pronk?should be Shrek

CrackerJack
04-18-2007, 03:23 PM
The Seabass saga continues...

Caveat Emperor
04-18-2007, 03:31 PM
The Seabass saga continues...

As a nickname it fails miserably due to the fact that it is neither humorous nor is it in any way descriptive of Alex Gonzalez.

blumj
04-18-2007, 03:49 PM
should be Shrek
That's a NYY fan nickname for another well known DH.

Chip R
04-18-2007, 04:13 PM
He had himself a good night last night. Amazing how a little plate discipline works wonders. :)

kaldaniels
04-18-2007, 04:50 PM

"It was during his first spring training camp with the Rangers, before he broke into the majors, that Hafner picked up his nickname. "Bill Selby was watching me from the bench one day and he started calling me Project, probably because I was so raw," Hafner says. " A lot of people called me Donkey, too, because I'm a big dude and I guess people think I run around the bases like a donkey. One day Selby says, 'What's up, Donkey?' I tell him, 'You're the guy who calls me Project, you can't call me Donkey now.' So we put the two words together to get Donkject or Pronkey. Pronkey turned into El Pronko. And that turned into the Pronk." "

Sorry about that...I just remembered he was called donkey from the above SI article...I forgot it morphed into Pronk...guess that shows how much about the AL I know....(Isn't weird how it is like the AL is like an alternate universe to fans of the NL)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/the_bonus/05/25/travis.hafner/2.html

KronoRed
04-18-2007, 05:25 PM
As a nickname it fails miserably due to the fact that it is neither humorous nor is it in any way descriptive of Alex Gonzalez.

Sounds like a fish, an ugly fish.

Eric_Davis
04-18-2007, 06:37 PM
Sea Bass is a very large, tough man, and is apparently a trucker and expert fisherman. He spits on Harry's hamburger after Harry accidentally hit him with a salt shaker at a roadside diner, and is later accidentally foiled by Harry again, when he attempts to kill and sexually molest(in the special edition dvd) Lloyd in a truck stop bathroom. Sea Bass was portrayed by hockey player Cam Neely, who also acted in one of Jim Carrey's later films, Me, Myself and Irene, again playing the character Sea Bass.

blumj
04-18-2007, 07:04 PM
I don't know, maybe it doesn't make it funny, and it's not very nice, but I can certainly see where it came from.

Boss-Hog
04-18-2007, 07:25 PM
As I said in my other post, it's not that it's at all offensive, it's the repeated beating into the ground manner it's being used in. Additionally, as Caveat said, it doesn't appear to fit him well (coming from someone who doesn't know him personally, unlike Kevin Millar).