PDA

View Full Version : Moeller DFA, Norris up from AAA

Dunner44
04-18-2007, 07:04 PM
C. Trent's blog:

BREAKING NEWS (6:56 p.m.): Chad Moeller has been designated for assignment and Norris Hopper will take his roster spot. GM Wayne Krivsky said he hoped Moeller will take the option of going to Class AAA Louisville, but Moeller has 10 days to decide. Hopper will be here during the game.

From Wayne:

"(Hopper) obviously can pinch-run and pinch-hit, maybe a little more so than Chad. He can play the outfield and he can play a little second base. He gives Jerry different options.

"At the same time, having that third catcher allows Jerry to use Javy the way he likes to use him. You weigh one against the other in which way you want to go. We felt like we would go this way for now."

Fay's blog:

The Reds designated catcher Chad Moeller for assignment and re-instated Norris Hopper from the disabled list.

Hopper will join the team for tonight's game.

The Reds have 10 days to make a move with Moeller. Wayne Krivsky said he thinks Moeller is willing to go to Triple-A.

Razor Shines
04-18-2007, 07:07 PM
Well at least the three catcher thing didn't last the whole season.

KronoRed
Hooray! the end of the 3 catchers!!

deltachi8
and there was much rejoicing

pedro
Good news.

M2
04-18-2007, 07:10 PM
I would like to take this moment to announce the official founding of the Norris Hopper Appreciation Society. The purpose of this organization will be to chronicle and comment upon the excellence of Norris Hopper so that he will become an enduring figure of the modern for all future generations.

The will be no dues nor oaths required to join NHAS. All that is needed is a love of Norris Hopper and the belief that, even when it may look like he's screwed up in the eyes of others, he's secretly done something very right, a something that needs to be divined and made apparent to the Hopper skeptics.

schroomytunes
04-18-2007, 07:15 PM
I think this is a good move, it allows us some more versatility in the outfield, and allows us to move Freel around alot more. This will allow Hamilton to start @ 5 times a week and still have a 5th outfielder on the bench.

Dunner44
04-18-2007, 07:16 PM
right handed bat... that is the real value (aside from killing the 3rd catcher and getting rid of Moeller's .198 lifetime avg.)

CRedsLarkin11
04-18-2007, 07:23 PM
:KoolAid:

Always Red
04-18-2007, 07:24 PM
I would like to take this moment to announce the official founding of the Norris Hopper Appreciation Society. The purpose of this organization will be to chronicle and comment upon the excellence of Norris Hopper so that he will become an enduring figure of the modern for all future generations.

The will be no dues nor oaths required to join NHAS. All that is needed is a love of Norris Hopper and the belief that, even when it may look like he's screwed up in the eyes of others, he's secretly done something very right, a something that needs to be divined and made apparent to the Hopper skeptics.

OK, I'm in.

I truly believe this year Mr. Hopper will demonstrate uncanny Chuck Norris-like powers.

But I'm turning in my Eric Milton Appreciation Society card; it's no longer worth the grief...:laugh:

reds44
04-18-2007, 07:27 PM
Excellent news.

westofyou
04-18-2007, 07:30 PM
So many zeros and ones wasted, so many... the horror, the horror.

TeamSelig
04-18-2007, 07:45 PM
Hopefully Hopper doesn't take away a bunch of ABs from Hamilton

Nugget
04-18-2007, 07:48 PM
Also on Trent's blog (currently being run by Josh) is that supposedly Norris can play 2B as well.

Gallen5862
04-18-2007, 08:53 PM
This is from the Reds website. This is great news end of the 3 catchers. The Reds now have a opening on the 40 man roster. Who might be a player the Reds might try to acquire for the 40 man roster?http://mlb.mlb.com/content/printer_friendly/cin/y2007/m04/d18/c1917099.jsp
Hopper off disabled list
04/18/2007 7:06 PM ET
MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- Prior to tonight's game against the Houston Astros, the Cincinnati Reds reinstated from the 15-day disabled list and recalled from a rehabilitation assignment OF Norris Hopper and designated for assignment C Chad Moeller.
Hopper had been on the disabled list since April 1 with a bruised right heel suffered in a spring training game on March 19 against the Tigers in Lakeland. He hit .281 in 8 rehabilitation appearances at FSL Reds and Class AAA Louisville.

He is in uniform number 30 for tonight's game against the Astros.

Moeller hit .167 in 6 appearances for the Reds. He did not make a start.

This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Chip R
04-18-2007, 10:06 PM
I'm guessing this isn't the last we'll see of Moeller. No one's going to want him so he'll go to LOU and be 90 miles from glory.

UK Reds Fan
04-19-2007, 03:12 AM
Another smart baseball move by the much maligned Red's front office. I never understood the 3 catcher thing this year either, but if it was to wait for Hopper and reaction to Deno's injury, then a few weeks of Moeller didn't hurt anything.

I don't see Hopper getting hardly any starting jobs. Has to be strictly a pinch runner, defensive replacement and RH bat in late innings. No rooms with Hamilton absorbing as many ABs as possible with Freel, Dunn and Griffey.

Always Red
04-19-2007, 07:03 AM
I don't think the Reds start this season with three catchers, had Deno or Hopper been healthy.

puca
04-19-2007, 08:47 AM
Another smart baseball move by the much maligned Red's front office. I never understood the 3 catcher thing this year either, but if it was to wait for Hopper and reaction to Deno's injury, then a few weeks of Moeller didn't hurt anything.

I don't see Hopper getting hardly any starting jobs. Has to be strictly a pinch runner, defensive replacement and RH bat in late innings. No rooms with Hamilton absorbing as many ABs as possible with Freel, Dunn and Griffey.

Of course it was the very same front office that signed Moeller to a major league contract in the first place. A move that many never quite understood.

I'm sorry, but I just can't consider getting rid of someone that had no business even being on the roster a 'smart' move; necessary and obvious - yes, but not smart.

Hey Meat
04-19-2007, 09:07 AM
C. Trent's blog:

Fay's blog:

Thank God. Can we just forget about the 3 catcher rotation for good now?

Always Red
04-19-2007, 09:11 AM
Of course it was the very same front office that signed Moeller to a major league contract in the first place. A move that many never quite understood.

I'm sorry, but I just can't consider getting rid of someone that had no business even being on the roster a 'smart' move; necessary and obvious - yes, but not smart.

That's a puzzler to me, too, puca.

Ross and Valentin were already going to be on the roster.

My guess is that WK has hedging his bets on them by signing Moeller to a ML contract, with the verbal understanding that he would be riding the AAA shuttle as need be.

And if that's the case, why sign Ross to a 2 year deal?

I think WK panics and signs vets to 2 year deals (as in the relief corp) and then when others come through, he is somewhat surprised, and happy (and it makes us all happy when a young player comes through and produces).

On one hand it does give your team depth, and players to choose from. I am of the opinion that the pitching here is deeper than it's been in some time.

On the other hand, I think it's an expensive way to do business for a small market team, locking up $ that could be better spent elsewhere...

BRM
04-19-2007, 09:20 AM
I'm guessing this isn't the last we'll see of Moeller. No one's going to want him so he'll go to LOU and be 90 miles from glory.

You're cruel.

dfs
04-19-2007, 10:13 AM
That's a puzzler to me, too, puca.

Ross and Valentin were already going to be on the roster.

With Moeller around, he could have traded Ross or Valentin and I think having that option open may have been worth Moeller's contracts. Indeed there were several folks here who where screaming that Ross should be dealt while at a height point in value and in retrospect...that looks like it might have been a decent idea.

One of the big differences I see between the way Krivsky does things and the way Bowden and (to a lesser degree) O'Brien did things is the depth of talent on the 40 man roster. Both Bowden and DanO had a habit of putting several kids on the 40 man roster who then ran into option problems later on. Krivsky is much more inclined to keep 4 or 5 33 year olds around in those same slots.

Moeller would be a fool not to go to Louisville. If David Ross has another 50 at bats as bad as his start has been, they'll have to sit him. Chad isn't going to get a better offer from anybody else.

redsmetz
04-19-2007, 10:26 AM
With Moeller around, he could have traded Ross or Valentin and I think having that option open may have been worth Moeller's contracts. Indeed there were several folks here who where screaming that Ross should be dealt while at a height point in value and in retrospect...that looks like it might have been a decent idea.

One of the big differences I see between the way Krivsky does things and the way Bowden and (to a lesser degree) O'Brien did things is the depth of talent on the 40 man roster. Both Bowden and DanO had a habit of putting several kids on the 40 man roster who then ran into option problems later on. Krivsky is much more inclined to keep 4 or 5 33 year olds around in those same slots.

Moeller would be a fool not to go to Louisville. If David Ross has another 50 at bats as bad as his start has been, they'll have to sit him. Chad isn't going to get a better offer from anybody else.

I think you're on to something there. I felt all along that Moeller was around for some manuvering. I think WK does that alot (e.g. Cody Ross). Sometimes roster squeezes don't allow that to pan out and that's why we're seeing Moeller go now. I think, particularly with Moeller, that they like what he brings to a staff and working with pitchers, not so much his batting skills. Whatever trade movement might have been considered, it appears it has panned out, hence the current move.

I think that will always be a highwire that WK will walk. We best get used to it. Sometimes, I'm guessing, it will be thrilling. Other times, working without a net, it won't be pretty.

UK Reds Fan
04-19-2007, 10:30 AM
I don't think the Moeller signing was very smart...to me we could have gone after a Corky Miller type if Kriv felt he had to have another catching options.

But it was a smart move to get Hopper on the roster and move Moeller off. Moeller's move wasn't that great to begin with but we are a better team today than we were a few days ago w.o Hopper.

I just think so many on here go on and on over every single move Narron or Krivs make and in the end, they don't decide the fate of the season or even games. Moeller didn't really hurt anything for 2 weeks and he only cost $500k. We ended up getting it right after Hopper was healthy and we didn't know Deno would have his injury. The same knashing of teeth occured over Bubba Crosby, Bellhorn, Paul Wilson, etc. and it isn't a big deal.

In the end, it will be Griffey, Dunn, EE, Harang, Arroyo, 3rd starter, Weathers, etc.. that decide the games and season...not Moeller, Hopper, Castro, etc... But we hear 10 times more about the latter guys failures than the formers on that list for some reason.

markymark69
04-19-2007, 10:32 AM
[QUOTE=UK Reds Fan;1309294]Another smart baseball move by the much maligned Red's front office. I never understood the 3 catcher thing this year either, but if it was to wait for Hopper and reaction to Deno's injury, then a few weeks of Moeller didn't hurt anything.

Agreed, and that's exactly what I think happened. The injuries to Denorfia and Hopper, predicated Moeller being on the team at the beginning of the season, IMO.

At least, Chad got a hit.

mth123
04-19-2007, 07:00 PM

You may be right, but the White Sox could use a back-up catcher with Hall hurt. Moeller is better than what they have now (seriously).

Not saying the Reds could trade him for anything, but Chicago may be willing to take him off the Reds hands (i.e. payroll). This would probably be as a waiver claim and the Reds probably would want to keep Moeller at AAA (see below).

I'm ok with him at AAA as the emegency back-up. The Reds really have no internal options if Ross or Javy get hurt. As bad as Ross is so far, he is clearly the best option.

rotnoid
04-20-2007, 02:46 PM
According to Trent's blog, it's official. Moeller has cleared waivers and has accepted his assignment to Louisville.

Chad Moeller cleared waivers and accepted an assignment to Louisville, where he can be the Crash Davis to all the Luke LaLooshes in Class AAA.

BRM
04-20-2007, 02:50 PM
Moeller cleared waivers? How on earth did that happen? ;)

Gallen5862
04-20-2007, 05:05 PM
Well I am glad to see that Moeller cleared waivers and will be in AAA. hopefully he will be able to work with some of the young pitchers. Plus he adds depth to the Reds in case of injury or if a trade is made.

TexRed
04-21-2007, 10:47 AM
Moeller was and is insurance for injury to Ross or Valentine. No one else in the system has as much big league experience to come in as a replacement player. I don't think the plan ever included Moeller breaking camp with the team until some other injuries came about.

Redsland
04-21-2007, 11:43 AM
I don't think the plan ever included Moeller breaking camp with the team until some other injuries came about.
Except that he was signed to a major league contract, not a split contract.