PDA

View Full Version : A-Rod has 9 HRs already...

Matt700wlw
04-18-2007, 10:07 PM
Wow.

Just wow.

hebroncougar
04-18-2007, 10:17 PM
And Josh has a better HR/AB ratio.

edabbs44
04-18-2007, 10:18 PM

Josh walks on water.

CTA513
04-18-2007, 10:19 PM
Wow.

Just wow.

Yankee fans will probably start booing him again once he cools off.

vaticanplum
04-18-2007, 10:29 PM
A-Rod hits home runs?!

Whodda thunk it? ;)

edabbs44
04-18-2007, 10:31 PM
A-Rod hits home runs?!

Whodda thunk it? ;)

I think ARod venting on the whole Jeter nonsense lifted a huge weight off his shoulders. 45 HRs is the starting point for '07.

reds1869
04-18-2007, 11:23 PM
Yankee fans will probably start booing him again once he cools off.

Considering that they were booing the Tribe for taking too long to finish losing, that's a pretty safe bet. :laugh:

WMR
04-19-2007, 03:59 AM
I hope he hits 75 this season and hits 75 a year till he wipes Bonds' dirty name off both records.

Razor Shines
04-19-2007, 06:25 AM
I hope he hits 75 this season and hits 75 a year till he wipes Bonds' dirty name off both records.

I hope he does too. Not just because it would be nice to get Bonds' name out of the record books, but he's one of my favorite players. I really don't understand the hatred for him. He's one of the best players of all time and he gets booed?

gonelong
04-19-2007, 02:50 PM
<channeling NYY Fans> Sure that's great, but can he do it when it counts? </channeling NYY Fans>

GL

NJReds
04-19-2007, 02:54 PM
I'm more surprised that Kinsler has 7.

klw
04-19-2007, 02:57 PM
So far today A-Rod is 0-2 with 2 k's with men is scoring position each time. No word on whether he was booed. His line is now .352, .422, .944.

coachw513
04-19-2007, 03:03 PM
Wow.

Just wow.

Bonds shouldn't get too comfy with Aaron's record...I'm amazed that ARod will be at/past 500 by like, next Tuesday at this pace...

I'm really happy for ARod...hope he hits 50+, wins AL MVP again and tells the Yankees to stick it...unfortunately it then sends him to the Cubs at SS, which might be a bit of an upgrade for Izturis :rolleyes:

jojo
04-19-2007, 03:05 PM

yes and we're certain he'll keep that up too....

UC_Ken
04-19-2007, 03:51 PM
unfortunately it then sends him to the Cubs at SS

I'm not sure ARod ever goes back to short. He was a good one but he is in the 30s now and is probably better suited to playing 3B. He's still a much better option than Jeter but I wouldn't pencil him in anywhere long term as an SS.

TeamSelig
04-19-2007, 03:59 PM
:( I Hope he doesn't go to the Cubs. Or St. Louis.

I'd prefer he stays in the AL to be honest.

westofyou
04-19-2007, 04:44 PM
So far today A-Rod is 0-2 with 2 k's with men is scoring position each time. No word on whether he was booed. His line is now .352, .422, .944.

And he just won the game with his 10th

M2
04-19-2007, 04:46 PM
I'd like to see A-Rod in the NL though I still don't think he's leaving the Yankees. Who's going to pay him more than $25M a year?

If the Dodgers don't make him a godfather offer then I'm guessing one isn't coming.

vaticanplum
04-19-2007, 04:47 PM
A-Rod just had another walk-off homer. Yanks were losing 6-2 going into the ninth.

I am freaking out. Mr. Clutchy McClutch Clutch!!!!!!!!!!

God that was amazing.

HumnHilghtFreel
04-19-2007, 04:49 PM
A-Rod just had another walk-off homer. Yanks were losing 6-2 going into the ninth.

God that was amazing.

I didn't even believe this until I just looked. He's out of his mind hitting right now

Matt700wlw
04-19-2007, 04:53 PM
10 now.

vaticanplum
04-19-2007, 04:58 PM
That was honestly one of the most amazing ninths I've ever heard. They were down 6-2 in the ninth with two outs and no one on.

I feel almost spoiled with that and Dunn's grand slam last year. My whole life is downhill from here.

dabvu2498
04-19-2007, 04:59 PM
And somebody traded him to me in a fantasy league, essentially, for Matt Holliday. hehe

Matt700wlw
04-19-2007, 05:00 PM
I am freaking out.

Get a hold of yourself. ;)

WMR
04-19-2007, 05:00 PM
And somebody traded him to me in a fantasy league, essentially, for Matt Holliday. hehe

It wasn't Wayne Krivsky getting some extra work in, was it?

Eric_Davis
04-19-2007, 05:55 PM
Love seeing Arod doing so well.

UC_Ken
04-19-2007, 06:04 PM
Just saw the highlights on ESPN.

What in the world is Cleveland pitching to ARod for with a base open in a 6-5 game. That run means nothing and ARod is the most dangerous hitter in baseball.

Easily the stupidest managerial move we'll see all year. Jerry Narron wouldn't even do that.

jojo
04-19-2007, 06:05 PM
Some of the greatest players in history were Mariners.... just saying....

New Fever
04-19-2007, 06:18 PM
Really doen't make sense. A guy that hot with a base open, why pitch to him?

Cyclone792
04-19-2007, 06:19 PM
Alex Rodriguez will go down as one of the 10 or 15 greatest players ever to play the game. How many fans today actually realize this fact is another story altogether, but it'll just be their own fault for missing the show.

He's simply unbelievable.

jojo
04-19-2007, 06:24 PM
Alex Rodriguez will go down as one of the 10 or 15 greatest players ever to play the game. How many fans today actually realize this fact is another story altogether, but it'll just be their own fault for missing the show.

How about his line from 1996: .358/.414/.631 from a guy playing gold-glove calibre defense at shortstop....

Eric_Davis
04-19-2007, 06:54 PM
Some of the greatest players in history were Mariners.... just saying.... And all at the same time. ...and...Edgar Rodriguez is the only right-hander since Joe Dimaggio to lead the American League in batting twice.

vaticanplum
04-19-2007, 07:51 PM

People will start to realize it when he starts smashing all the records -- which is going to happen if he stays healthy. I think you were the one who reassured me of that :)

He's even more incredible when one considers that he very well may have some of his best years still ahead of him.

UC_Ken
04-19-2007, 07:53 PM
Alex Rodriguez will go down as one of the 10 or 15 greatest players ever to play the game.

That's being very conservative. He's on a pace to break Aaron or Bond's record. He played gold glove caliber defense at SS for about 8 years. In my book assuming another 5 years of 40 HR/ 120 RBI seasons he'll be squarely in the top 5 all time.

jojo
04-19-2007, 08:00 PM
People will start to realize it when he starts smashing all the records -- which is going to happen if he stays healthy. I think you were the one who reassured me of that :)

He's even more incredible when one considers that he very well may have some of his best years still ahead of him.

I doubt his best years are ahead of him....he'll be 32 in July and his defense has already eroded dramatically albeit in an relatively unnoticed by the mainstream fashion. His bat should age gracefully but it's entering the decline phase.

All that being said, there's a reason Bonds is talking about playing in '08.... AROD has a great shot at the HR record. Arod is already a first ballot hall of famer if he never put his uniform on again...

dougdirt
04-19-2007, 08:04 PM
And all at the same time. ...and...Edgar Rodriguez is the only right-hander since Joe Dimaggio to lead the American League in batting twice.

Edgar who? I know of Edgar Martinez.... he was one of my favorites.

vaticanplum
04-19-2007, 08:06 PM
I doubt his best years are ahead of him....he'll be 32 in July and his defense has already eroded dramatically albeit in an relatively unnoticed by the mainstream fashion. His bat should age gracefully but it's entering the decline phase.

I very pointedly said SOME of his best years. It's still very feasible that he'll break his own season home-run record at least once if not more. His defense may decline, but a lot of factors play into hitting and the lineup he's currently in certainly helps him in terms of RBIs etc.

edit: and are you saying the public hasn't noticed a defensive decline? You mean the same public that puts him on the front page for every error he makes?

UC_Ken
04-19-2007, 08:10 PM
ARod could still move to 1B/DH later in his career. The way he stays in shape he could have 10 more years.

jojo
04-19-2007, 08:19 PM
I very pointedly said SOME of his best years. It's still very feasible that he'll break his own season home-run record at least once if not more. His defense may decline, but a lot of factors play into hitting and the lineup he's currently in certainly helps him in terms of RBIs etc.

edit: and are you saying the public hasn't noticed a defensive decline? You mean the same public that puts him on the front page for every error he makes?

It would actually be much closer to shocking than expected if Arod hit more than 57 homers in a season once or twice more.

Concerning his defense, I think alot of people who are inclined to like Arod would be surprised to learn he's probably no better than a league average defensive thirdbaseman at this point.... As for the front page, New York fans seem to have a hypercritical view of Arod's flaws some even being imagined...

FlightRick
04-19-2007, 08:21 PM

I say this with the caveat that I am a loathesome Yankees' fan:

If you want to make up a name for Rodriguez, i'd suggest it might be more appropriate to dub him "Lord Clutchy von Contractyear, the Archduke of Inyourfacenewyork."

I'd lament that this resurgence is gonna make this off season a giant pain in the ass, but then I remember: if the my Other Favorite Team wants to keep him, they have more than enough money to do so.... and also that I was able to draft him in both my fantasy leagues (with Pick #5 and Pick #7; morons).

UC_Ken
04-19-2007, 08:27 PM
I really don't think ARod's production is because of the contract year. Even if he weren't to void his contract he'd still have a lot of money coming on his contract. I think this has a lot more to do with Torre batting him 8th in the playoffs. That really challenged his manhood and I'd imagine will be a big reason why he opts out this year. And I don't care how bad he was slumping to put a guy with 35 HR and 120 RBI in the 8 hole is one of the stupidest things I've ever seen.

vaticanplum
04-19-2007, 08:29 PM
It would actually be much closer to shocking than expected if Arod hit more than 57 homers in a season once or twice more.

That's fair. I still think he could routinely knock in 40+ homers many times over the next ten years. And his other offensive numbers stand to do well too.

Concerning his defense, I think alot of people who are inclined to like Arod would be surprised to learn he's probably no better than a league average defensive thirdbaseman at this point.... As for the front page, New York fans seem to have a hypercritical view of Arod's flaws some even being imagined...

I thoroughly disagree that he's an average third baseman. And New York fans were not quite the only people railing on A-Rod last year. His "failings" were pretty much the story of baseball last year.

FlightRick
04-19-2007, 08:44 PM
I think this has a lot more to do with Torre batting him 8th in the playoffs. That really challenged his manhood and I'd imagine will be a big reason why he opts out this year.

Well, whether you decide to lay the blame on Torre/Yankees' Management or on the ass-hatted fans/radio tards, I think that insofar as my offhand joke had a point, it'd be that Alex has an "out" and he's upset enough with elements of the New York Stage that he is actually contemplating exercizing it (which, even 8 months ago, would have been almost unfathomable, given how much money he is owed).

Regardless of whether you'd be willing to dub Rodriguez "Lord Clutchy von Contractyear" or not, I believe all right-thinking ball fans can agree that the agent who negotiated this current contract and its unorthodox out-clause is "******bag McGee."

UC_Ken
04-19-2007, 08:46 PM
Regardless of whether you'd be willing to dub Rodriguez "Lord Clutchy von Contractyear" or not, I believe all right-thinking ball fans can agree that the agent who negotiated this current contract and its unorthodox out-clause is "******bag McGee."

Absolutely agree with that.

jojo
04-19-2007, 08:53 PM
I thoroughly disagree that he's an average third baseman. And New York fans were not quite the only people railing on A-Rod last year. His "failings" were pretty much the story of baseball last year.

In 2005 UZR ranked Arod as 13th best defensively.... his '06 UZR hasn't been leaked yet but it's not likely he'll climb significantly.

PMR agrees with UZR only it's even more down on Arod's leather. Arod was scored at -8 in '06 (bottom third of the majors).

League average seems optimistic when considering the views of the gold standard defensive metrics.

FlightRick
04-19-2007, 09:11 PM
But jojo: what do WJS or PPM or HRA say about Rodriguez's defense?

Ah, I keed, I keed. I usually adopt an "anti-Stat-Wanker" persona, but the fact is that I'm also an Intellectually Curious Fellow, so I've done some reading into the more dense, mystical, and inaccessible Stat Wanker stuff, and so far the only think I've learned about defensive metrics is that nobody agrees about defensive metrics or what they're supposed to mean.

I don't need fifth-level regressions to tell me that Alex's defensive stats for '06 should be worse than the same numbers in '05. The guy was a trainwreck last year, if my nightly scanning of SportCenter was any indication. But even with that, my instincts say "Alex Rodriguez is far too gifted an athlete to ever be a below-league-average-anything. Also, he was a gold glove SS, so intuitively, there is no reason he should instantly become a crap-ass 3B if he's got his head in the game."

I got no stats. But I got my gut. Stats can't account for a guy being a delicate little headcase who takes a few years to nut up and cope with the New York Stage. My gut, however, can.

Advantage: Gut.

Unless Rodriguez, once again, starts to show up as the Top Story on SportsCenter every night for something other than his remarkably longballery. In which case, I'll eat some Tums and tell my gut to shut the hell up.

jojo
04-19-2007, 09:47 PM
and so far the only think I've learned about defensive metrics is that nobody agrees about defensive metrics or what they're supposed to mean.

I'd suggest you have a good deal of further reading to do then....

But even with that, my instincts say "Alex Rodriguez is far too gifted an athlete to ever be a below-league-average-anything. Also, he was a gold glove SS, so intuitively, there is no reason he should instantly become a crap-ass 3B if he's got his head in the game."

Right. Your gut apparently doesn't think players age. The peak age for defense is 24. Arod was past his prime defensively long before he switched to thirdbase. By the way, there was nothing instant about it. He's been rated worse each year he's played 3b. It's called age-related decline.

I got no stats. But I got my gut. Stats can't account for a guy being a delicate little headcase who takes a few years to nut up and cope with the New York Stage. My gut, however, can.

Advantage: Gut.

Well, i'd hate to argue with your gut...wouldn't want it to get upset.... I would suggest this....since we know the eyes often can lie, the gut is probably downright unrealiable-I mean isn't that were farts come from?

Unless Rodriguez, once again, starts to show up as the Top Story on SportsCenter every night for something other than his remarkably longballery. In which case, I'll eat some Tums and tell my gut to shut the hell up.

Well sportscenter and your gut....that's pretty definitive. Really, how could play by play data and the consensus of several gold-standard defensive rating systems compete with that?

FlightRick
04-19-2007, 10:17 PM
I'd suggest you have a good deal of further reading to do then....

Well, either that or..... [cue dramatic music].... I've done TOO MUCH reading, and I'm confusing myself by absorbing the fact that -- ESPECIALLY on defensive stats -- Wonk #1 may disagree with Wonk #2, and so far I have yet to decide which Wonk to agree with, even if he tosses around essentially-meaningless descriptors like "gold-standard."

I don't pretend to have answers on this front. I just know that, at this point in my investigations, the only thing I feel confident in saying is that a lot of measurements of defensive metrics seem to have all the credibility of the Nielsen Ratings People actually releasing data that goes out to the second decimal point when there's no evidence to prove they're even accurately measuring the FIRST decimal point. And despite this fact, these are the "gold standard" (or at least, "industry standard") statistics that are dissected six ways till Sunday by TV Industry Bungwads to decide what should be put on the air.

Needless to say, even if somebody gives me a random number and calls it a "statistic," I'm of a mind to question whether it really means what it claims to mean. "Lies, damned lies, and statistics." Isn't that the cliche that fits here?

Right. Your gut apparently doesn't think players age. The peak age for defense is 24. Arod was past his prime defensively long before he switched to thirdbase. By the way, there was nothing instant about it. He's been rated worse each year he's played 3b. It's called age-related decline.

My gut comprehends temporal causality and the forward-moving nature of time. I think my point was that I'm having a hard time thinking that a fully-with-it Rodriguez could possibly be as bad in '07 as he was in '06. By any objective (gut) or subjective (stat) measure. Provided I agree that he continues to seem "with it" this year, and does not revert to his sissified headcase status, I'd be more than willing to reprise this part of the debate in November, and see what happens to all the precious defensive stats when A-Rod gets better at age 32 than he was at age 31. Or however old he is.

Or, if need be, I'll be more than happy to eat crow in November, too. I'm a fan of checking out stats, and appreciating how they can (often quite elegantly) illustrate WHAT has happened. I'm just not a fan of how sometimes, that is twisted into people assuming stats are telling you the WHY of what has happened. Which all too often leads to shaky assumptions of that which is going to happen. My own damned opinion, anyway.....

jojo
04-19-2007, 10:31 PM
Or, if need be, I'll be more than happy to eat crow in November, too. I'm a fan of checking out stats, and appreciating how they can (often quite elegantly) WHAT has happened. I'm just not a fan of how sometimes, that is twisted into people assuming stats are telling you the WHY of what has happened. Which all too often leads to shaky assumptions of that which is going to happen. My own damned opinion, anyway.....

The why is pretty intuitive concerning defensive decline.... greying hair....

BTW, assuming the reasons underlying past performance isn't really a behavior statheads have cornered the market on... for instance those who go with their gut often do it too....

Razor Shines
04-20-2007, 04:40 AM
He's on pace to hit 116 HRs and Drive in 301 runs. He'll probably do it.

blumj
04-20-2007, 10:50 PM
Two more tonight. Unreal.

HumnHilghtFreel
04-20-2007, 10:56 PM
The man has 30 RBI already. Double what anyone else in the AL has. Absolutely unreal. 12 HR 30 RBI in 15 games.

George Anderson
04-20-2007, 10:58 PM
My first thought is corked bat.

Cyclone792
04-20-2007, 11:54 PM
Rodriguez's 2005 season is arguably the greatest ever for a third baseman. If he puts together a whole season remotely similar to what he's done so far this season, then there won't be any doubt about Rodriguez's 2007 season being the greatest ever for a third baseman.

Here's some of the greatest single seasons ever by a third baseman since the modern era began sorted by RCAP ...

SEASON
MODERN (1900-)
3B
RUNS CREATED/GAME vs. the league average displayed only--not a sorting criteria
RCAA displayed only--not a sorting criteria
RUNS CREATED displayed only--not a sorting criteria
PLATE APPEARANCES displayed only--not a sorting criteria
GAMES displayed only--not a sorting criteria

RCAP YEAR RCAP RC/G RCAA RC PA G
1 George Brett 1980 85 269 86 135 515 117
2 Alex Rodriguez 2005 84 209 83 162 715 162
T3 Wade Boggs 1987 83 220 83 152 667 147
T3 Chipper Jones 1999 83 192 84 164 701 157
T5 Eddie Mathews 1953 75 189 80 156 681 157
T5 Harmon Killebrew 1969 75 208 75 145 709 162
T7 Mel Ott 1938 74 222 81 149 652 150
T7 George Brett 1985 74 221 79 145 665 155
T9 Al Rosen 1953 73 199 82 155 688 155
T9 Joe Torre 1971 73 212 75 144 707 161
11 Eddie Mathews 1954 69 189 68 129 601 138
12 Eddie Mathews 1955 67 191 67 129 616 141
T13 Jim Thome 1996 66 191 66 143 636 151
T13 Wade Boggs 1988 66 213 67 139 719 155
T15 Eddie Mathews 1957 65 167 58 124 666 148
T15 Ken Caminiti 1996 65 184 66 137 638 146
T17 Dick Allen 1966 64 209 67 129 599 141
T17 Home Run Baker 1913 64 190 61 123 645 149
T19 Chipper Jones 2001 63 182 65 146 677 159
T19 Wade Boggs 1986 63 193 64 131 693 149
T21 Mike Schmidt 1980 62 198 62 135 652 150
T21 Eddie Mathews 1959 62 182 69 141 682 148
T21 Heinie Zimmerman 1912 62 191 62 136 619 145
T21 Wade Boggs 1983 62 193 61 129 685 153
T25 Howard Johnson 1989 61 191 63 127 655 153
T25 Adrian Beltre 2004 61 174 64 142 657 156

redsrule2500
04-21-2007, 01:04 AM
Considering that they were booing the Tribe for taking too long to finish losing, that's a pretty safe bet. :laugh:

:laugh: so true

jojo
04-21-2007, 06:29 AM
Rodriguez's 2005 season is arguably the greatest ever for a third baseman. If he puts together a whole season remotely similar to what he's done so far this season, then there won't be any doubt about Rodriguez's 2007 season being the greatest ever for a third baseman.

Nice post.

Arod's 2005 was arguably the greatest offensive season ever for a thirdbaseman... The distinction while seemingly subtle is not trivial as defense/baserunning can significantly effect overall player value and Arod's defense is now a drag on his value.