PDA

View Full Version : Vern Ruhle Ceremony

Sea Ray
04-20-2007, 09:18 AM
Does anyone know if the honoring of Vern Ruhle with a jersey above the bullpen means that his number is retired? Is this going to be a permanent fixure in GABP or is it just this year?

rotnoid
04-20-2007, 09:33 AM
From a story on reds.com

And that's why the Reds' choice of a location to pay tribute to their late pitching coach was both fitting and appropriate. Before Thursday's game against the Astros, Ruhle's No. 58 was unveiled in left-center field above the Cincinnati bullpen. Ruhle's number will remain there for the 2007 season.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070419&content_id=1919402&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

This is kind of ambiguous, but it sounds like it's this year only for now. With enough outcry from fans and players, maybe they could make it a permanent fixture.

Chip R
04-20-2007, 09:56 AM
Actually, the number is being retired for Hector Carrasco. ;)

OesterPoster
04-20-2007, 10:00 AM
Actually, the number is being retired for Hector Carrasco. ;)

In that case, the jersey would be hung somewhere on the back stop, maybe 6 feet off the plate. ;)

Joseph
04-20-2007, 10:04 AM
In that case, the jersey would be hung somewhere on the back stop, maybe 6 feet off the plate. ;)

Wouldn't about six rows up in the stands be more appropriate?

Seriously though, the Reds are getting much better about things like this and I give them all credit for doing something nice for Vern and his family.

Sea Ray
04-20-2007, 10:07 AM
This is kind of ambiguous, but it sounds like it's this year only for now. With enough outcry from fans and players, maybe they could make it a permanent fixture.

I think this year is very appropriate. I think permanent fixtures and retired numbers should be reserved for folks who made extraordinary contributions to the organization in one way or another.

Chip R
04-20-2007, 10:41 AM

We know it can't cover 1st. ;)

jojo
04-20-2007, 10:44 AM
it was nice to have Ms Ruhle at the stadium last night... I think little things like what they did show ALOT of class...

rotnoid
04-20-2007, 11:01 AM
I think this year is very appropriate. I think permanent fixtures and retired numbers should be reserved for folks who made extraordinary contributions to the organization in one way or another.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just anticipating the buzz when it comes down.

Redsland
04-20-2007, 11:44 AM
That will happen on a cold November day with no one watching.

paulrichjr
04-20-2007, 12:59 PM

That is correct.

Let's see Ruhle's number is retired before Pete's and Davey's.... I don't think so.

rotnoid
04-20-2007, 02:40 PM
That will happen on a cold November day with no one watching.

Hopefully we're all at a party on Fountain Square celebrating when it comes down. :beerme: