PDA

View Full Version : Question: What is a "hold"?

registerthis
04-20-2007, 09:19 AM
I feel like I should know this, but perusing last night's boxscore it's apparent that I don't.

I see that Mike Stanton got credited with a hold last night, in spite of the fact that he got no one out, and surrendered a hit to the only batter he faced. I find it odd that a pitcher could get credited with anything positive despite getting no one out. I've heard it said that a "hold" is essentially a useless stat created by the agents of middle relievers in order to give them a tangible statistic with which to negotiate on. That Stanton was credited with a hold last night would seem to support that position. Can anyone provide some insight on this?

westofyou
04-20-2007, 09:34 AM
A hold is awarded to a relief pitcher if he enters in a save situation, records at least one out, and leaves the game without having relinquished that lead.

To receive a hold, the pitcher must not finish the game (thus becoming the closing pitcher) or be the winning pitcher. Therefore, the same pitcher can't get a save and a hold in the same game.

Unlike saves, more than one pitcher can earn a hold in a game. It is also not necessary for the pitcher's team to win the game in order to achieve a hold; they merely have to be in the lead at the time the pitcher exits.

The hold was invented in 1986 to give a statistical measure of the effectiveness of non-closer relief pitchers. Holds are most often accredited to setup pitchers, as they usually pitch between the starter and the closer.

I have no idea why Stanton got one.

registerthis
04-20-2007, 09:40 AM
A hold is awarded to a relief pitcher if he enters in a save situation, records at least one out, and leaves the game without having relinquished that lead.

That's what I don't get. I thought at least one out had to have been achieved by the pitcher in order to qualify for a hold. If you can pick up "holds" by entering a game and getting no one out, it seems a rather useless statistic.

luvdozer
04-20-2007, 10:37 AM
you are correct that at least one out must be recorded. According to that definition, Stanton should not have received a hold

Danny Serafini
04-20-2007, 11:36 AM
I've heard it said that a "hold" is essentially a useless stat created by the agents of middle relievers in order to give them a tangible statistic with which to negotiate on.

You heard correctly. The hold is a garbage stat with no real value at all. I don't think the middle relievers even care, I've never heard one say how pumped they were after a game to get a hold.

TheBigLebowski
04-20-2007, 12:53 PM
You heard correctly. The hold is a garbage stat with no real value at all. I don't think the middle relievers even care, I've never heard one say how pumped they were after a game to get a hold.

http://www.stu-man.com/90ud/137birtsas.jpg

Try telling that to Tim Birtsas.

RichRed
04-20-2007, 01:11 PM
I think a "hold" is when you try to keep your lunch (or dinner) down after the Reds bullpen has blown another lead. I recorded a "hold" last night.

redsrule2500
04-20-2007, 01:28 PM
I thought it was just holding the lead lol