PDA

View Full Version : Dear ESPN, there are OTHER teams...

durl
04-20-2007, 10:55 PM
I flipped over to ESPN to catch Baseball Tonight and it started at 9:30 central time. They went immediately into, you guessed it, the Red Sox/Yankees game. The segment lasted for 13 MINUTES. One game, 13 minutes. Better than 25% of the program. I respect the history of the 2 franchises, but it's April. :thumbdown

But what should I expect from ESPN? Answer: nothing better.

Thanks for letting me vent, y'all.

rotnoid
04-20-2007, 10:56 PM
It's not just them. Wait until Fox Saturday baseball starts. We'll be getting a steady diet of Yankees/Red Sox. Those of us in fly over country just don't know how lucky we are to have these east coast teams crammed down our throats.

guttle11
04-20-2007, 10:58 PM
It's not about the fact that most of the country is sick of Yanks/Sawks, it's the fact that more people want to watch them than any other team.

Once you understand that, avoidance is easy.

Maldez
04-20-2007, 11:02 PM
Glad I'm not the only guy who gets nauseous every time I see the Yankees / Red Sox smeared all over the TV. It's like we're supposed to really give a ****.

Guess what? I don't!

durl
04-20-2007, 11:05 PM
I understand that both teams have a huge fan base and strong traditions. Networks are going to run games that bring in the biggest audience. I just get tired of major networks pushing all other teams to the back-burner.

UPDATE: Baseball Tonight was cut to 30 minutes. HALF of the program was dedicated to Yanks/Red Sox. 15 games played tonight and most ignored. Is it Baseball Tonight or Yankees Tonight? And Sportscenter begins with...you guessed it...Yankees/Reds Sox highlights.

harangatang
04-20-2007, 11:07 PM
:deadhorse

durl
04-20-2007, 11:14 PM
Hey...let me rant! It's my first rant on this subject here. :D

fisch11
04-20-2007, 11:52 PM
I'm waiting for the postgame coverage to include an interview with the fan in Section 118, Row K, Seat 3.....just to see what he had to say about the
Red Sox/Yankees game.

TeamBoone
04-21-2007, 12:08 AM
And tonight was the second time in a week that they've aired Yankee/Red Sox games.

OldRightHander
04-21-2007, 12:19 AM
That's what I like about XM. Sure they mention the Yanks and Sox a lot, but they give pretty good coverage to the other teams, a lot better than ESPN does.

RBA
04-21-2007, 12:30 AM
Directv has limited capacity right now for MLB games in HD. They have two channels for MLB HD. One is almost always the Yankees.

BuckWoody
04-21-2007, 12:34 AM
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f307/buckwoody/BBtonight.jpg

redsrule2500
04-21-2007, 01:02 AM
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f307/buckwoody/BBtonight.jpg

hahah that's awesome! :thumbup:

NorrisHopper30
04-21-2007, 01:18 AM
This is the same reason the Red's don't get the first game anymore, becuase other teams are more worthy or popular..

Caveat Emperor
04-21-2007, 01:24 AM
Directv has limited capacity right now for MLB games in HD. They have two channels for MLB HD. One is almost always the Yankees.

Really, can you blame DTV or ESPN? If you've got limited capacity for HD channels, or limited programming time, wouldn't it make the most business sense to cover the team that plays in the largest city (with the most TVs) in the United States?

:dunno:

It sucks -- but thats business, and a rivalry between two of the largest fanbases is good for business in Bristol. Unfortunately for Reds fans, the best rivalry Cincinnati had died with reallignment.

Patpacillosjock
04-21-2007, 01:46 AM
lame topic. THey have the best players and most interesting stories. and quite frankly I'd rather watch a sox/yanks game than a royals blue jays game any day.

and as much as I love my Reds, Im not dumb enough to even think for a moment that the rest of the country gives a crap about us until we start winning anything significant