PDA

View Full Version : Standridge DFA

Team Clark
04-21-2007, 12:05 PM
I wish I could throw 97-99 MPH. I know I have the "cajones" to face down Big League hitters. Looks like the Standridge experiment in KC didn't go too well. maybe he needs a sports psychologist?? :confused:

Jason Standridge

3 G 1L 6.2IP 11H 7ER 10R 2HR 5BB 4K 9.45 ERA

Tom Servo
04-21-2007, 01:40 PM
I was baffled when I heard people complain about us dumping him back in November. He was quite the waste of a 40 man spot.

TeamEncarnacion
04-21-2007, 01:42 PM
why cant he get guys out with 99 mph fastball

westofyou
04-21-2007, 01:50 PM

I don't know... let's ask Steve Dalkowski.

TeamEncarnacion
04-21-2007, 02:00 PM
i have no idea who that is...

Team Clark
04-21-2007, 03:21 PM
Just about every Major Leaguer can hit the thigh high heater. Ask Cormier, Coffey and Coutlangus how that works...:D JK

mth123
04-21-2007, 03:26 PM
Just about every Major Leaguer can hit the thigh high heater. Ask Cormier, Coffey and Coutlangus how that works...:D JK

Heater is a relative term. Those guys don't throw high 90s.

StillFunkyB
04-21-2007, 03:42 PM

My guess would be that it has no movement, and he throws it right over the dish. That, and his secondary pitches he can't throw for strikes so hitters just sit on the fastball. ;)

savafan
04-21-2007, 04:25 PM

This is more true today than in the past. It's because kids coming up are seeing more and more fastballs, starting in little league and all the way up, and they are able to adapt more to the timing of the pitching. I imagine if Nolan Ryan were to start his career today, he'd be nowhere near as dominant as he was.

Caveat Emperor
04-21-2007, 04:36 PM

Derrick Turnbow asks himself that question every night before he goes to bed.

savafan
04-21-2007, 04:40 PM
Derrick Turnbow asks himself that question every night before he goes to bed.

That one's easy, PEDs are banned now. :D

Marc D
04-21-2007, 05:21 PM

I'll second that. I had a couple of friends back in the day who never made it out of the high minors but could throw serious high 90's heat. Neither one had any natural movement on the ball and didn't have good enough secondary stuff.

Moral of the story-MLB hitters can catch up to anything thats string straight when they are sitting dead red, mph doesn't matter. Catch too much of the plate with that recipie and you start making SC highlights in a not so positive way.

Spring~Fields
04-21-2007, 05:28 PM
I wish I could throw 97-99 MPH. I know I have the "cajones" to face down Big League hitters. Looks like the Standridge experiment in KC didn't go too well. maybe he needs a sports psychologist?? :confused:

Jason Standridge

3 G 1L 6.2IP 11H 7ER 10R 2HR 5BB 4K 9.45 ERA

There is an example of why I ask you guys if pitching coaches really help the players. Plenty of guys at times come along that can throw hard but for whatever reason they can't get it together, so I wonder, where's the coach that is suppose to straighten the guy out, and do the coaches really make any difference? Why can't a coach help these guys .........I don't know, but a coach is suppose to know. :confused:

dunner13
04-21-2007, 05:31 PM
This is more true today than in the past. It's because kids coming up are seeing more and more fastballs, starting in little league and all the way up, and they are able to adapt more to the timing of the pitching. I imagine if Nolan Ryan were to start his career today, he'd be nowhere near as dominant as he was.

Nolan Ryan had a nasty curve ball, Ive heard scouts say it was by far his nastiest pitch. Later he also added a very good changeup. Ryan was a strikeout pitcher but he was a pitcher he didnt just throw 100 mph every pitch.

savafan
04-21-2007, 05:31 PM
There is an example of why I ask you guys if pitching coaches really help the players. Plenty of guys at times come along that can throw hard but for whatever reason they can't get it together, so I wonder, where's the coach that is suppose to straighten the guy out, and do the coaches really make any difference? Why can't a coach help these guys .........I don't know, but a coach is suppose to know. :confused:

It's a good question. How hard is it to teach pitch movement and different grips? How difficult is it, and how long does it take to learn a new pitch?

Team Clark
04-21-2007, 07:04 PM
It's a good question. How hard is it to teach pitch movement and different grips? How difficult is it, and how long does it take to learn a new pitch?

Teaching, learning and executing are all different things. Brook Jacoby knows what he's talking about. His students understand what he is saying. They just forget everything they've ever been taught when they get to the plate.

Always Red
04-21-2007, 07:13 PM
location, location, location...

4256 Hits
04-21-2007, 10:53 PM
Teaching, learning and executing are all different things. Brook Jacoby knows what he's talking about. His students understand what he is saying. They just forget everything they've ever been taught when they get to the plate.

Or just don't have the ability/skill/talent.

IslandRed
04-21-2007, 11:33 PM

Beats me. I think coaching matters less as a player gets older; for a major-leaguer who's been playing ball all his life, that's an awful lot of entrenched mindset and muscle memory to override if you're going to do anything other than the most minor tweaks.

And frankly, some guys are just more coachable than others. I don't mean in terms of bad attitudes, I mean simply being able to learn from experience and instruction. Anyone who's coached knows -- take any group, from six-year-old kids playing soccer to college football players or anything in between, and some of them get things right away and others keep making the same mistakes over and over.

Team Clark
04-22-2007, 04:34 AM
Or just don't have the ability/skill/talent.

Excellent point. Truly that statement gets overlooked far too often.

Certainly I think the majority of Major Leaguers have the talent/ability to be consistent players. There are those who for whatever reason make it to the show and truly embarrass themselves. Baseball is a funny game. Like a clown funny. :laugh:

Sea Ray
04-23-2007, 06:09 PM
I don't recall Standridge hitting the high 90s as a Red. Can he really throw 99?

Sea Ray
04-23-2007, 06:10 PM
I think the poster child for throwing 100mph yet can't keep a major league job has to be Billy Koch.

Superdude
04-23-2007, 06:37 PM
I don't recall Standridge hitting the high 90s as a Red. Can he really throw 99?

I was thinking the same thing. I don't recall Standridge ever throwing much above 94-95. I don't where this 97-99MPH thing got started.

TeamSelig
04-23-2007, 06:59 PM
Billy Koch? He was a good closer for a while, but injuries that took away his upper 90s fastball which in return took away him being effective.

Or am I thinking of someone else?

coachw513
04-23-2007, 10:17 PM

What exactly would Cormier say about that?? :evil:

jojo
04-23-2007, 10:41 PM

I think a better question is this: given the line below, how the heck did he do as well as he did?

K/9: 5.56; BB/9: 5.27; K/BB: 1.05;

That's like spritzing a grease fire with gasoline....

Team Clark
04-23-2007, 11:04 PM
I was thinking the same thing. I don't recall Standridge ever throwing much above 94-95. I don't where this 97-99MPH thing got started.

Dude lit it up the few times I ever saw him play. I have him on video with the Reds hitting 97 MPH. Just couldn't throw a strike. Lotsa talent poor preparation. IMO.

Team Clark
04-23-2007, 11:05 PM
What exactly would Cormier say about that?? :evil:

He would say "I'm Guaranteed". :laugh:

Sea Ray
04-23-2007, 11:52 PM
Billy Koch? He was a good closer for a while, but injuries that took away his upper 90s fastball which in return took away him being effective.

Or am I thinking of someone else?

I don't recall him ever going on the DL nor any injuries effecting his 100 MPH fastball. His lack of control and his flaky personality contributed to his demise.