PDA

View Full Version : Saturday night's "sellout" crowd

Redlegs
04-22-2007, 10:26 AM
Could somebody help me out on this? I was at the game last night when the crowd of 39,000+ was announced as a sellout. According to the team's website, GABP's seating capacity is 42,059. :confused:

Chip R
04-22-2007, 10:52 AM
Yeah, this has happened before. I'm not quite sure why they claim that as a sellout.

Brandon4MVP
04-22-2007, 11:07 AM
that was the attendance, not the number of tickets sold. They prolly sold 42,000 tickets and had some people not show up.

Chip R
04-22-2007, 11:11 AM
that was the attendance, not the number of tickets sold. They prolly sold 42,000 tickets and had some people not show up.

They don't do that anymore. The actual attendance reported is tickets sold, not butts in the seats. Anyway, there was a huge walkup sale last night so there's no way they sold 42,000 tickets.

paulrichjr
04-22-2007, 11:49 AM
It might not have been a sellout but didn't it seem odd to anyone that they are having this huge influx of walkup people in April. I have a theory why but I could be wrong. I think it is our new outfielder drawing them in.

Chip R
04-22-2007, 11:52 AM
It might not have been a sellout but didn't it seem odd to anyone that they are having this huge influx of walkup people in April. I have a theory why but I could be wrong. I think it is our new outfielder drawing them in.

I think it's just the giveaways.

paulrichjr
04-22-2007, 11:55 AM
I think it's just the giveaways.

Did they have giveaways both nights? And why did we not have sellouts before at giveaways that weren't bobble head nights?

Redlegs
04-22-2007, 12:16 PM
Brainstorm: I think the game was indeed a sellout. The capacity of the ballpark is 42,059. That's full capacity. That would include standing room only! That's my theory, anyway.

vaticanplum
04-22-2007, 12:26 PM
I have a theory why but I could be wrong. I think it is our new outfielder drawing them in.

I think you may be onto something, at least in part. I was there on Friday night and the cheers he got were off the charts. People are following him, at least; casual fans are quite aware of him.

creek14
04-22-2007, 12:27 PM
I was there last night. It was packed. The only empty seats I saw (save the scattered empties of people making beer runs) were the party areas in the left field corner.

I think it was *sold out* cause it was the first nice weekend night in a long time. Lot's of families and younger fans (well younger to me any way) there on dates.

Redlegs
04-22-2007, 12:32 PM
I think you may be onto something, at least in part. I was there on Friday night and the cheers he got were off the charts. People are following him, at least; casual fans are quite aware of him.
He was the recipient of the loudest cheers last night when his name was announced.
That was quite obvious.

Chip R
04-22-2007, 12:33 PM
Did they have giveaways both nights? And why did we not have sellouts before at giveaways that weren't bobble head nights?

Friday night they gave out Ryan Freel shirts. Saturday, they gave out blankets. Today, more Freel T-Shirts.

I think it depends on the gimmick... I mean, promotion. You aren't going to get people out for Juan Castro Golden Hands night. But you get a popular player and/or a gimmick that is something nice and they will come out. As for Hamilton, I wish they were coming out for him but they didn't draw very well this week when he was playing so I think that theory doesn't hold much water.

OSUredsFAN
04-22-2007, 12:43 PM
remember its tickets "sold" not the number of number fans in the seats. It doesn't include any free (or comp) tickets given away for any reason. any of the free or comp do not count into the number of tickets sold.

Chip R
04-22-2007, 12:47 PM
remember its tickets "sold" not the number of number fans in the seats. It doesn't include any free (or comp) tickets given away for any reason. any of the free or comp do not count into the number of tickets sold.

Ah, I forgot about that. Good one. That said, that's about 3,000 comps. Quite a bit for one night.

Jpup
04-22-2007, 12:57 PM
Thom said last night that John Allen said it wasn't a sellout.

redsrule2500
04-22-2007, 01:08 PM
Kids Freel Shirts today! woohoo

vaticanplum
04-22-2007, 01:09 PM
As for Hamilton, I wish they were coming out for him but they didn't draw very well this week when he was playing so I think that theory doesn't hold much water.

I think the week that he had affected people considering going on the weekend (a bigger draw to begin with).

I think the promotions play a part, definitely, but he's a draw right now, not only because he's doing well but because most people haven't seen him yet. They feel like they have a chance to witness something special and who knows how long it will last.

Jpup
04-22-2007, 01:10 PM
I think the week that he had affected people considering going on the weekend (a bigger draw to begin with).

I think the promotions play a part, definitely, but he's a draw right now, not only because he's doing well but because most people haven't seen him yet. They feel like they have a chance to witness something special and who knows how long it will last.

I would say, at least, 10 years. :beerme:

Chip R
04-22-2007, 01:13 PM

Possibly. There may be a couple thousand folks going out to see him but Josh isn't going to turn a 16K crowd into a 40K crowd just by himself. I wonder if there is a Josh Hamilton bobblehead doll night in the works for September? ;)

vaticanplum
04-22-2007, 01:22 PM
Possibly. There may be a couple thousand folks going out to see him but Josh isn't going to turn a 16K crowd into a 40K crowd just by himself. I wonder if there is a Josh Hamilton bobblehead doll night in the works for September? ;)

There would not be 16,000 people at a weekend game in this weather, promotion or not, Hamilton or not. Even Reds fans aren't that bad. I don't think.

Chip R
04-22-2007, 01:28 PM
There would not be 16,000 people at a weekend game in this weather, promotion or not, Hamilton or not. Even Reds fans aren't that bad. I don't think.

Wait till September. :(

vaticanplum
04-22-2007, 01:33 PM
Wait till September. :(

Good point. Perhaps I should say: there would not be 16K people at a weekend game in this weather, at a time of year when there's still hope of contention, on a non-holiday weekend, playing a team we only play here once a year, with a 0% chance of precipitation and no major construction on the highways, when incidents of crime downtown are less than 20 in the past week and mercury's not in retrograde :)

I love Reds fans, really I do. Friday was one of the most glorious games I've ever been to and the fans were genuinely knowledgable and extremely entertaining -- and there were plenty of them even though it was quite clear that the giveaway was only for the first 10,000 fans. I wish that was more of the norm, but I'll take it for now.

Chip R
04-22-2007, 01:46 PM
Good point. Perhaps I should say: there would not be 16K people at a weekend game in this weather, at a time of year when there's still hope of contention, on a non-holiday weekend, playing a team we only play here once a year, with a 0% chance of precipitation and no major construction on the highways, when incidents of crime downtown are less than 20 in the past week and mercury's not in retrograde :)

Well, when you put it like that. ;)

I love Reds fans, really I do. Friday was one of the most glorious games I've ever been to and the fans were genuinely knowledgable and extremely entertaining -- and there were plenty of them even though it was quite clear that the giveaway was only for the first 10,000 fans. I wish that was more of the norm, but I'll take it for now.

I think that's what Bob was trying to do last year with the half-price seats and the cheap hot dogs. He figured that even if they are coming there for the gimmick, they are at least coming. I remember going to a game a few years ago. I think it was the night they honored Jr. for hitting #500. They gave away posters and had a ceremony for him. IIRC they were playing the Pirates and they had a good start to the season. I think WMP hit a pinch hit grand slam that night and the crowd was electric.

But I think you run into a problem when you give too much stuff away. People start to expect it and it becomes less of a draw.

Heath
04-22-2007, 02:00 PM
But I think you run into a problem when you give too much stuff away. People start to expect it and it becomes less of a draw.

Bob Howsam said once that he's rather give something away and have people pay full price for tickets, rather than comping a lot of tickets. The perception is value-driven for the consumer - hey, I'm coming to the game and I get one of the (insert giveaway here).

The value of the giveaway is what gets me. I remember back in the 80's Hudepohl used give away drink cups and pitchers. One year it was a glass pitcher and you got a coupon to get it when you left. The products aren't as nice as they used to be.

vaticanplum
04-22-2007, 02:06 PM
I have zero problems with giveaways or "gimmicks". As a kid that stuff used to thrill me. It was something to take home from the game and keep for a long time. It didn't mean I loved the game any less.

The Reds don't have any more promotions than any other team, and they're not spending money on it. It doesn't affect their desire to make the team a winning one: they're either going to do that well or not. I agree with Castellini: if they're coming for the stuff, they're still coming. maybe they'll come back, remember how much fun going to a baseball game can be. Maybe they won't. Either way it's put a few more people in the seats for one game anyway.

I have a serious problem with people who question fandom. Oh, you just became a fan when the team was doing well? Oh, you weren't a Red Sox fan when Bill Buckner was on the team? Then you're not the same fan that I am. To me it makes absolutely no difference why people start going to games or supporting a team. If it takes giving away stuff, give it away. Yes, the game is interesting enough on its own, but if it takes some extras before people realize that, that's fine with me.

Caveat Emperor
04-22-2007, 06:32 PM
To me it makes absolutely no difference why people start going to games or supporting a team. If it takes giving away stuff, give it away. Yes, the game is interesting enough on its own, but if it takes some extras before people realize that, that's fine with me.

A Friday/Saturday night game is exponentially more fun to attend when the house is packed.

Whatever it takes to get the crowd there, get the crowd there. Cheaper food, reduced price seats, trinket give-aways -- it all just makes the environment better for the game and, who knows, might win you a few extra sales down the road as people come back to relive the experience again.

"Cincinnati Reds baseball sells itself" was possibly the stupidest marketing idea to come out of the Schott/Linder regimes.

Jr's Boy
04-22-2007, 07:24 PM
It seems whenever the Reds get a sellout or close to it, they always find a way to stink up the joint.

CaiGuy
04-22-2007, 07:40 PM
Great weather probably had a lot to do with it. It was the first nice baseball weekend all season.

butlerbulldogs
04-22-2007, 08:16 PM
there were only 10k freel shirts (friday) and 20k blankets on saturday

40-10k=30k, 40-20k=20k, i don't think it is only the giveaways

Chip R
04-22-2007, 08:41 PM
Well, we had posts on here just a couple of weeks ago complaining about how bad the fans were here cause they didn't show up on the games after Opening Day. Then we had games this week for MIL and HOU in pretty decent weather and I'm not sure any of those games broke 15K in ticket sales with Hamilton playing every night.

It's probable that some are going out to see Josh play. Some are wanting to enjoy the nice weather. Some want the giveaways. Others just want to see a game. Everyone has their reasons and that's good. But let's not kid ourselves and think this is going to be the norm for the rest of the year.

KittyDuran
04-22-2007, 08:42 PM
Saw a couple of Hamilton jerseys today at the park...:thumbup:

vaticanplum
04-22-2007, 11:32 PM
Saw a couple of Hamilton jerseys today at the park...:thumbup:

I saw one on Friday. It made me happy :)

While not directly pertaining to attendance, how's this for evidence of Hamilton's exposure among locals...today I hung with my little cousins and one of them mentioned that they had been talking about Josh Hamilton in religion class at school. They're learning about "conversions", and as I understand it the class was supposed to come up with two examples of people who have converted their lives for the better and talk about them. So they talked at length about Hamilton's story and how well he's doing at the moment with the influence of God and his own determination. Of course, the other example the class came up with was Judge Mathis (who apparently used to be a gangster according to my cousin), so take from that what you will.

I'm still holding my breath, but if Josh Hamilton ends up being a solid part of these team for a while, he's going to be very special to this city.

UC_Ken
04-22-2007, 11:47 PM
I'm still holding my breath, but if Josh Hamilton ends up being a solid part of these team for a while, he's going to be very special to this city.

I was listening to an interview with him on 700 today. He was talking about how he was brought up the right way and that once his parents got into their car accident he was on his own and started hanging out with the wrong people. He said if you hang around with the wrong people you start to do the things they do. If he chose do I think Hamilton's story is great to tell school kids. He was an All American boy from an all American family so if he can go down the wrong road so can anybody.

I really hope he chooses to visit the schools and tell this story.

George Anderson
04-22-2007, 11:56 PM
He was talking about how he was brought up the right way and that once his parents got into their car accident he was on his own and started hanging out with the wrong people.

Am I missing something?? What car accident??

Marge'sMullet
04-23-2007, 12:04 AM
I think there is one player that would turn the gate around atleast in his first start. Homer.

TeamBoone
04-23-2007, 12:21 AM
Am I missing something?? What car accident??

I read this was how it all started too. I believe Josh was in the accident as well.

It was when he was playing in Florida... when his parents recovered enough to travel they went home but Josh was still in Florida recuperating. He was close with his parents and was very lonely with them not there or something like that. He became depressed, etc, etc, etc.

Regarding attendance, I agree it's not the giveaways as they're only giving them to a fraction of the crowed. I can remember going on bobblehead nights at Riverfront and seeing people get their bobbleheads and then head straight back across the bridge to their cars. They didn't even bother with the game.

Also, the Reds drew more than 25,000 on two nights during the first week, when it was COLD. And I believe they were both weeknights.

redsfanfalcon
04-23-2007, 01:55 PM
Also, the Reds drew more than 25,000 on two nights during the first week, when it was COLD. And I believe they were both weeknights.

They were also games that were included in the Power Pack...at least all 3 Cub games were.