PDA

View Full Version : Has Griffey Played Since Narron's Comments?

BUTLER REDSFAN
04-22-2007, 05:34 PM
Has Griffey played since Narron said on the pre game interview with Marty that Griffey would also be benched if he was seen dogging it to 1st base?? Is this just another I'm not going to be disrespected tantrum from a player who thinks he can't be disciplined?

JaxRed
04-22-2007, 05:37 PM
I guess you didn't listen or watch today's game. But I have heard that diverticulitis is caused by poor off-season workouts and lack of hustle.

Razor Shines
04-22-2007, 05:50 PM
Has Griffey played since Narron said on the pre game interview with Marty that Griffey would also be benched if he was seen dogging it to 1st base?? Is this just another I'm not going to be disrespected tantrum from a player who thinks he can't be disciplined?

No. From what I've read, there is a possibility of it being fatal if he doesn't rest for 2-4 days. But the symptoms alone would keep anybody out of the line up.

Reds Freak
04-22-2007, 06:31 PM
FWIW, the Reds have lost 3 of 4 games with Griffey out of the lineup. Just sayin...;)

RedFanAlways1966
04-22-2007, 08:31 PM

You should send John Fay an e-mail and ask him this. Sounds like something he'd enjoy writing and telling "enquiring minds" who need to know the real story.

;)

Ludwig Reds Fan
04-22-2007, 08:44 PM
The part I wrestle with is that if I was Griffey, I wouldn't run out grounders either.

But I would if I was EE, Freel, or Hamilton.

Yet, I wouldn't if I was Adam Dunn.

But I would if I was Hatteberg or Valentin.

However, if I was Dick Pole or Jerry Narron, I wouldn't.

But if i was Billy Hatcher...I would at least try. And be grateful. Very very grateful.

To each his own I guess.

..ohh if I was the Reds Hitting Coach. Not only would I be running out grounders, but I'd be brushing up my resume for the inevitable while I was doing it.

But if I was Tom Hume... I wouldn't run out grounders. I would just be happy to share in the irony of being a pitcher that wears glasses.

;)

TeamBoone
04-22-2007, 11:26 PM
This is nonsense.

Ken Griffey, Jr. has been ILL and diverticulitis is serious. :bang:

I guess you didn't listen or watch today's game. But I have heard that diverticulitis is caused by poor off-season workouts and lack of hustle.

Jax, you're kidding... right?

WVRedsFan
04-22-2007, 11:49 PM
This is a totally rediculous thread. Junior's condition is very serious and what he is doing is exactly what needs to be done to get him better. Want to know why? Because I suffer the same malady.

It never ceases to amaze me the lack of respect that some posters have for Ken Griffey, Jr. It's criminal. Some day, when you're old and gray and have to put up with three outfielders who can't hold his jock even today (not anyone playing today--the future) and the hitting and excitement you see this year (or maybe I meant the first half of last year) is gone forever in that great philosophy known as "fielding and pitching" (an example that has lately brought us errors by both Juan Castro and Alex Gonzalez), will you realize that a Hall of Famer came through Cincinnati and played 9 seasons and all he got was grief from the peanut gallery.

Of course, by then, we'll be winning 40 games a year in our quest for "fielding and pitching." :bang:

Can't anyone stop this madness??????????????????

dougdirt
04-22-2007, 11:53 PM
WVRedsFan.... great post.

WVPacman
04-22-2007, 11:55 PM
I don't know nothing about Diverticulitis but if its that bad as everybody said then I hope Jr takes off until it is completly gone.If he comes back to soon then you never know he might hurt his self even more and get worse.We will need him healthy and strong to HOPEFULLY make a run to the playoffs.

dougdirt
04-22-2007, 11:56 PM
WVPacman, its not something that can really injure you, but it actually could be fatal if not treated and diagnosed correctly. Wiki it if you want, I just did. Doesnt sound pleasant.

WVPacman
04-23-2007, 12:03 AM
WVPacman, its not something that can really injure you, but it actually could be fatal if not treated and diagnosed correctly. Wiki it if you want, I just did. Doesnt sound pleasant.

Sorry,thats what I really ment!! It could seriously jeperdise his health and nobody wants that.He just needs to take as many games off that he has to to get well.Your life is way more inportant than a game.
;)

George Anderson
04-23-2007, 12:26 AM
Diverticulitus is very serious, in fact my mother almost died from it. Griffey's case must not be a severe as my mothers because she was actually operated on for it. She also had to have a colostomy bag attached to her for quite a while which was a real pain to deal with .

Reds Freak
04-23-2007, 12:34 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Great post WV!
Don't ever take a player like Ken Griffey Jr. for granted. We get to see a baseball legend play before our eyes every night. If you can't appreciate that now, when are you going to? I, for one, will not look back 15 years from now when Griffey is retired and enshrined in the Hall of Fame and say "Man, I wish I would have enjoyed watching him play more when he was in Cincinnati..."

WVPacman
04-23-2007, 12:43 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Great post WV!
Don't ever take a player like Ken Griffey Jr. for granted. We get to see a baseball legend play before our eyes every night. If you can't appreciate that now, when are you going to? I, for one, will not look back 15 years from now when Griffey is retired and enshrined in the Hall of Fame and say "Man, I wish I would have enjoyed watching him play more when he was in Cincinnati..."

I know what you mean man and thanks for the kind words.Hopefully he can comeback from this and put up a monster year,lead us to the playoffs,and win it all.Something close to that would make all the fans forget about all the injurys and (could be argued) dissapointing stats since coming here.

GET WELL JR!!!!!

Razor Shines
04-23-2007, 12:52 AM
I know what you mean man and thanks for the kind words.Hopefully he can comeback from this and put up a monster year,lead us to the playoffs,and win it all.Something close to that would make all the fans forget about all the injurys and (could be argued) dissapointing stats since coming here.

GET WELL JR!!!!!

I guess I can't really speak for him but I don't think that Reds Freak was talking to you. In his post he said:

And just the other day you said this:

Don't get me wrong I like Griffey just as much as all of you but the truth is that he has been a bust in Cincy.He isn't injured this year but what has he done?? Nothing!! Im telling you imo if Griffey is off this team then the team would be better exspecially on offense.
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56969

Are you really appreciating Jr. ?

WVPacman
04-23-2007, 01:07 AM
Razor,like I said the other day im very disapointed in JRs stats since coming here.He has done very little since coming here!!! IMO he has been a bust here in cincy and this team would be better off trading him.Razor this sickness that he has now has nothing to do with baseball.We all hope he gets better b/c this is serious.Razor,if your going to stay mad at me for the comments that I said the other night then im sorry BUT I an't going to sugar coat nothing b/c I tell it like I see it.

This topic had nothing to do with my comments from the other night and you had to distroy this topic just to call me out.Razor,I think your one of the best posters on here and I have never had a problem with you.I hope we can still get along but if you don't want to then then I won't lose no sleep.

berryluther
04-23-2007, 09:12 AM

GET WELL JR!!!!!

I have always been a Jr. fan and I wish him well and he is in my prayers, but this team is far from a playoff caliber team even with him in the lineup.

JaxRed
04-23-2007, 09:21 AM
"Jax, you're kidding... right?"

Yep. The Griffey bashers blame all his physical problems on being lazy, I was just heading them off at the pass.

durl
04-23-2007, 09:44 AM
Yep...another "making up reasons to hate Griffey" thread. When will this nonsense stop??

Honestly, I believe Griffey could rescue a dozen babies, a grandmother and a puppy from a burning building and there would be those who would criticize him for it. Let it go, people!

Ludwig Reds Fan
04-23-2007, 04:44 PM
Honestly, I believe Griffey could rescue a dozen babies, a grandmother and a puppy from a burning building and there would be those who would criticize him for it. Let it go, people!

Yes but did he hustle doing it? :laugh:

uks2h
04-23-2007, 07:21 PM
I am so glad to see some people giving respect for Griffey.

:)

BUTLER REDSFAN
04-23-2007, 10:24 PM
Well, I for one will eat crow. I turned the tv off b4 the 9th inning(who didn't) on Sunday's game and didnt hear of this until this thread. My brother has that condition and it sidelines him for days at a time. You basically live on the toilet(hopefully Cheryl Crow will let him use the toilet paper). This morning however Richard Skinner was just as bad as my original remark by stating griffey couldnt play because he "had to take a dump".

TeamBoone
04-23-2007, 11:30 PM
This really irks me because diverticulitis is much more than diarrhea... it has a serious cause, serious symptoms (in addition to the diarrhea), and can wipe someone out for days. Then you get better but never know when it's going to flare once again.

You know, it's no wonder that the guys don't like to be truthful with people (fans, media, etc). Griffey was diagnosed with this 6 months ago; he finally gets up enough courage to let it out of the bag and he's ridiculed and made fun of... over something that's serious. But then, perhaps he's become used to it by now as everything that's happened to him has been met with public ridicule, even when he was rolling his leg around on a cart for several weeks.

I'm just flat out disgusted with how people treat one another, especially when they down. Hell, just kick 'em again, longer and harder! Instead of get well wishes he gets garbage from people who think it's funny!

Unassisted
04-23-2007, 11:47 PM
I've had a couple of family members who've had diverticulitis. It's a painful condition and flareups bring a lot of misery. Anyone who has it deserves sympathy, not ridicule.

jimbo
04-23-2007, 11:58 PM
This really irks me because diverticulitis is much more than diarrhea... it has a serious cause, serious symptoms (in addition to the diarrhea), and can wipe someone out for days. Then you get better but never know when it's going to flare once again.

This is exactly correct and and something most people fail to recognize. A flare up isn't just inconvenient, it totally wipes out all of your energy and can take days or weeks to recover from. The fact that Junior was able to come in the game just yesterday and rope a double is impressive in my opinion.

It is quite life altering and it is in no way funny watching someone go through it. He was diagnosed with this 6 months ago, but we have no idea how long he has actually been suffering from it.

I too find it totally disgusting how Junior, and other players as well, get treated by what are supposed to be "fans" of the Reds. They bash these players when they are struggling and a lot of times they have no idea what that player may be going through physically. What's even sadder is when Junior does reveal what he is suffering from, people make fun of it or criticize him for not revealing it sooner. Just sad.

Griffey does not deserve the abuse he gets in Cincinnati. As much of a fan I am of him both as a player and a person, I sometimes wonder if it would better to see him get traded to a city whose fans will appreciate him for the class act that he is.

TeamBoone
04-24-2007, 12:05 AM
And it isn't just the fans, it's the media and talk radio as well.

Here's what Hal had to say on Friday (reference only; he didn't say anything condescending):

Friday, April 20, 2007

Griffey under the weather, out of Cincinnati lineup
By Hal McCoy

CINCINNATI — On Wednesday, Ken Griffey Jr. was reclined on a clubhouse sofa near his dressing stall sound asleep and didn't budge until almost game time. Then he dressed and made two above-and-beyond catches in right field.

On Thursday, Griffey was back on the same couch, one of the fleece blankets the Cincinnati Reds are giving away Saturday covering his head. This time he didn't budge for batting practice or the game.

"Griffey has not felt good the last couple of days," said manager Jerry Narron, who changed his original lineup and excluded Griffey.

Asked to assess what Griffey has done so far this season, Narron said, "He has been getting on base, and his on-base average is close to .400 (.383), and that's outstanding. He has had selective at-bats, and that's outstanding. The only thing he hasn't done is hit the ball out of the park yet (no home runs)."

And the switch to right field?

"Yes, I'm comfortable with it," Narron said. "The one play on which he had trouble he might have overrun, and it was slicing."
http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/reds/2007/04/20/ddn042007redsnotes.html

Matt700wlw
04-24-2007, 12:26 AM
I know nothing about this condition, but it doesn't sound luck much fun. It also doesn't sound like anything we'd be going to work through

jimbo
04-24-2007, 12:42 AM
I really don't have a problem with what Hal said. Not sure what you are seeing there. Hal has been a pretty big supporter of Griffey ever since he came to town.

TeamBoone
04-24-2007, 01:03 AM
I really don't have a problem with what Hal said. Not sure what you are seeing there. Hal has been a pretty big supporter of Griffey ever since he came to town.

Sorry, I didn't mean Hal said anything. I was just sharing what he wrote.

I was referring to this reference posted by Butler Redsfan:

This morning however Richard Skinner was just as bad as my original remark by stating griffey couldnt play because he "had to take a dump".