PDA

View Full Version : Griffey back on Tuesday

savafan
04-22-2007, 07:01 PM
http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070422/SPT04/304220027/-1/CINCI

BY BILL KOCH | BKOCH@ENQUIRER.COM

Ken Griffey Jr. is expected to return to the Reds lineup Tuesday in St. Louis after not starting the past four games because he was suffering from diverticulitis.

The Reds’ right fielder delivered a pinch-hit RBI double in the ninth inning of their 9-3 loss to the Phillies on Sunday.

His hit did nothing to alter the game’s outcome but it was a welcome sight for a team that has been struggling to score runs.

“It feels a lot better the last couple of days,” Griffey said. “The first two days were rough, but the last couple of days I felt close to normal, at least as close to normal as I get.”

Griffey’s illness had been a mystery until Sunday when he was asked about it by reporters. At first, he remained coy, saying that he didn’t want to reveal his condition for fear that he would be repeatedly questioned about.

Finally, he asked Reds public relations director Rob Butcher if he should disclose his condition.

When Butcher suggested that it would be in his best interest, Griffey confirmed that it was diverticululitis.

“It’s just a condition I have,” he said. “I’ve got to watch everything that I eat. There are certain foods that I have to stay away from. It’s something that a lot of people have and it’s uncomfortable.”

Griffey said he was first diagnosed with the condition about six months ago.

Reds manager Jerry Narron said before the game that Griffey could have started, but that he thought it was best for him to take one more day off, then have the off day today before rejoining the lineup on Tuesday in St. Louis.

“It’s one of those things that I knew it might be best if I just took one more day,” Griffey said, “but I was still able to go out there and do some of the things baseball-wise without feeling too much discomfort.”

The Reds, who scored only six runs in their three games against the Phillies, could use a boost from Griffey to get their offense untracked.

“He’s a big person in the lineup,” Narron said. “When you lose a guy who’s getting on base 40 percent of the time, you’re losing something.”

Griffey is batting .275 with no home runs and 7 runs batted in. He has also walked 10 times.

Degenerate39
04-22-2007, 08:03 PM
I hope Dunn sits and Hamilton plays

Newman4
04-22-2007, 08:22 PM
Maybe I'm just stupid, but what the heck is diverticulitis ?

RedFanAlways1966
04-22-2007, 08:24 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diverticulitis

BEETTLEBUG
04-22-2007, 08:26 PM
LIKE he said it is not a fun thing to have.

edabbs44
04-22-2007, 08:36 PM
Why was it such a secret? Because it is an embarrassing-type ailment to have? Or because everything with Jr has to be a secret?

jfleur87
04-22-2007, 08:49 PM
If it's anything like Crohns disease, then I know what he went through the past couple of days. Can't blame him for not playing, it sucks. But that is if it's anything like Crohns

Ludwig Reds Fan
04-22-2007, 08:53 PM

Its a rare condition caused by fans wanting to pick apart your every move.

So you try the bait and switch, the angry eyes, ignoring them, and anything else you can come up with to divert their attention from the non stop harassment.

Diverticulitis is the act of trying to divert the cult of Griffey haters away from their non stop hate parade against the sure Hall of Famer.

Not to worry though, it usually only lasts a few years, then it moves on to someone else.

Marc D
04-22-2007, 08:53 PM
I'm sorry but I saw it was similar to IBS and thats one of the funnier syndrom's out there(if someone else has it). Teammates can have a lot of fun with that one.

edabbs44
04-22-2007, 09:01 PM
George Brett then hit .375 in the 1980 World Series, but the Royals lost in six games to the Philadelphia Phillies. During the Series, Brett made headlines for reasons other than his play on the field. After leaving Game 2 in the 6th inning due to hemorrhoid pain, Brett had minor surgery the next day, and in Game 3 returned to hit a home run as his Royals wound up winning in 10 innings by the score of 4-3. (In 1981 he would miss two weeks of Spring training to have his hemorrhoids removed.[1])

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Brett_(baseball)

Razor Shines
04-22-2007, 09:02 PM
nm

jimbo
04-22-2007, 10:08 PM
I'm sorry but I saw it was similar to IBS and thats one of the funnier syndrom's out there(if someone else has it). Teammates can have a lot of fun with that one.

I don't think it's funny at all. I know people who suffer from it and it can be very debilitating and life altering.

Natty Redlocks
04-22-2007, 10:39 PM
Now I feel bad for colon him all those bad names

Redskinalum02
04-22-2007, 10:55 PM
Definitely not a fun condition. It's apparently very painful and can rear its ugly head at any time.

durl
04-23-2007, 09:52 AM
Why was it such a secret? Because it is an embarrassing-type ailment to have? Or because everything with Jr has to be a secret?

I guess there are those who are EXTREMELY interested in ballplayer's colons. Put me in the camp that believes we don't have to know everything about every player. It's not that everything with Jr. "has to be a secret," but rather "why do we have to know every detail about anything that happens to him."

Newman4
04-23-2007, 10:41 AM
I guess I could've looked it up. Thanks for the link. The only reason I asked because it appeared to me that the writer just assumed everyone knew what it was. Get well Junior.

dougdirt
04-23-2007, 12:29 PM

Because its not really anyones business. I know that I don't want a bunch of people wondering about my colon.