PDA

View Full Version : Wily Mo starting in CF tonight

blumj
04-22-2007, 07:58 PM
ESPN game, if you can stand the Matsuzaka-mania and A-Rod overkill.

AtomicDumpling
04-23-2007, 03:16 PM
Starting Wily Mo in centerfield is like starting Adam Dunn at shortstop.

Wily Mo was a terrible outfielder when he played for the Reds. I have never seen a player get slower jumps on the ball. He is absolutely horrible at judging the flight of a baseball.

I was glad to see the $100 million pitcher get pounded last night. When you have the Boston bats piling on the runs for you, you can still get a win even when you suck. But we have Arroyo who pitches extremely well and loses because the Reds can't score runs. I guess a huge payroll cures all ills.

Chip R
04-23-2007, 03:22 PM
In all fairness, he should be a DH and play every day. But you can only play 1 DH at a time and the Sox have 3. I'd like to see what he could do playing every day somewhere, anywhere.

remdog
04-23-2007, 03:29 PM
I'd like to see what he could do playing every day somewhere, anywhere.

Even Cincinnati?

Rem

Chip R
04-23-2007, 03:31 PM
Even Cincinnati?

Rem

Even Cincinnati. But I think he'd be a poor fit in the NL.

remdog
04-23-2007, 03:35 PM
Well, I too would like to see what Wily Mo could do over a full year and with Dunn and Jr.'s careers tenuous, Hamilton an unknown quantity and Freel simply being Freel..........stranger things have happened. (shrug)

Rem

dougdirt
04-23-2007, 03:43 PM
I loved the fact that Dice K goes 7 innings, allowed 6 runs and the Boston fans gave him a standing ovation when he left the game.

WMR
04-23-2007, 04:23 PM
I wish people would stop saying Wily Mo stinks in Centerfield: IT'S NOT TRUE.

The way he tracks ball in CF vs. the corners is like night and day.

He runs just as well as Josh Hamilton.

He is a GOOD fielding Centerfielder and he demonstrated that whenever he was given regular playing time in CF.

jimbo
04-23-2007, 06:53 PM

He is a GOOD fielding Centerfielder and he demonstrated that whenever he was given regular playing time in CF.

I'll keep saying it because I think he stinks in the outfield, period. I just don't get this idea that he is great in CF but sucks in RF. I realize there are different spins on the ball, but a "good" outfielder can make adjustments. If he was so great in CF, then with his bat don't you think somebody would have given him a full-time job by now? CF is the toughest of the three outfield positions to play, it just makes no sense to me to say that he can play CF great but is terrible in a corner position.

Besides, I remember him making several horrible plays in CF when he was with the Reds. I can't imagine he could have suddenly gotten better in Boston.

Razor Shines
04-23-2007, 06:56 PM
I'll keep saying it because I think he stinks in the outfield, period. I just don't get this idea that he is great in CF but sucks in RF. I realize there are different spins on the ball, but a "good" outfielder can make adjustments. If he was so great in CF, then with his bat don't you think somebody would have given him a full-time job by now? CF is the toughest of the three outfield positions to play, it just makes no sense to me to say that he can play CF great but is terrible in a corner position.

Besides, I remember him making several horrible plays in CF when he was with the Reds. I can't imagine he could have suddenly gotten better in Boston.
I haven't seen enough of him to say whether he is good in CF or not. But there are guys who are good in center but bad in the corners. Griffey has struggled this year with a few balls that have come off the bats of right hand hitters. You don't get many balls with a lot of movement in center field, there's more ground to cover but it can be easier to play center than a corner.

Fil3232
04-23-2007, 07:03 PM
Bad or Good in CF, Wily Mo made of the best catches in CF I have ever seen when he literally ran full speed and sprawled himself up against the fence in front the Reds bullpen. Unbelievable.

Edit: Not really sure the point of that post, except that's my first thought when I think of Wily Mo in CF.

M2
04-23-2007, 07:05 PM

Exactly. The real comedy is the knock on Wily Mo's CF defense often comes from the "if you'd just watch the games" crowd. Apparently they should take their own advice.

He looked fine last night, certainly better than Crisp who's playing exceptionally tentative defense these days. I'm hoping the Sox give him a legit shot in CF. I go to the same PT as Wily Mo and he has nothing but glowing things to say about Pena's attitude and work ethic. Calls him one of the standout athletes he's ever worked with and he's been involved with every major pro and college program in Boston. Wily Mo's a real easy guy to root for.

jimbo
04-23-2007, 07:45 PM
Exactly. The real comedy is the knock on Wily Mo's CF defense often comes from the "if you'd just watch the games" crowd. Apparently they should take their own advice.

Thanks for the concern, but I watch plenty of games.

I find it just as comical when someone questions another's knowledge of the game sitting behind a keyboard and monitor.

blumj
04-23-2007, 08:26 PM
He made a great play, catching a sinking LD and doubling a runner off 1st, except it looked like a trap on the replay, and the runner didn't know what was going on. Still, he got the call and made the throw.

TeamSelig
04-23-2007, 08:51 PM
Wily Mo has great range, athleticism, etc. What he lacks, is good instincts, probably from lack of actual development in his game.

In CF you can be a good fielder with alot of range but below average instincts.

Not so much in the corners.

He is a good fielding CFer IMO

WMR
04-23-2007, 09:11 PM
Well put, TS. :beerme:

Fullboat
04-23-2007, 10:08 PM
Listening too WEEI this morning Red Sox fans were calling in to
ask if Willy Mo doesn't play everyday why not send him to
AAA.:D

It was like déjà vu all over again.:lol:

WMR
04-23-2007, 10:09 PM
Can they rework his contract? :laugh: :lol: :laugh: :lol:

Newman4
04-24-2007, 10:31 AM
Would you trade Ryan Freel for Wily Mo? One big complaint people have is not having an impact RH outfield bat. With Crisp out for Boston, Freel would be a better fit. When Crisp returns, Freel might be a leadoff option and 2B option for a veteran ballclub in place of 23 yr old Dustin Pedroia. Also, with the emergence of Josh Hamilton, Wily Mo might be a better fit allowing Hamilton to move to center. Remember, Wily Mo is still just 25. Thoughts???

westofyou
04-24-2007, 10:52 AM
Wily Mo is the heaviest player to play CF since at least 2000

Center Fielder Weight
Wily Mo Pena 245
Lyle Mouton 240
Austin Kearns 235
Jermaine Dye 235
Larry Walker 233
Joe Borchard 230
Raul Mondesi 230
Robert Perez 230
Hideki Matsui 230
Sammy Sosa 230
Matthew Kemp 230

klw
04-24-2007, 10:54 AM
Wily Mo is the heaviest player to play CF since at least 2000

Center Fielder Weight
Wily Mo Pena 245
Lyle Mouton 240
Austin Kearns 235
Jermaine Dye 235
Larry Walker 233
Joe Borchard 230
Raul Mondesi 230
Robert Perez 230
Hideki Matsui 230
Sammy Sosa 230
Matthew Kemp 230

Makes me kind of wish to see how Calvin Pickering would do roaming CF.

blumj
04-24-2007, 11:01 AM
Would you trade Ryan Freel for Wily Mo? One big complaint people have is not having an impact RH outfield bat. With Crisp out for Boston, Freel would be a better fit. When Crisp returns, Freel might be a leadoff option and 2B option for a veteran ballclub in place of 23 yr old Dustin Pedroia. Also, with the emergence of Josh Hamilton, Wily Mo might be a better fit allowing Hamilton to move to center. Remember, Wily Mo is still just 25. Thoughts???
Not that I haven't been wrong before, but I just don't see any way the Red Sox would even consider that.

Jpup
04-24-2007, 11:19 AM
No way in the world would I trade Ryan Freel for Wily Mo. He is horrible. He still can't hit or field. If it has a bend in it, he's not hitting it most of the time. He's a horrible outfielder no matter where he is playing. I hope he turns it around and has a great career, but I just don't see it.

Every time I see Arroyo pitch, I laugh at Theo.

Bobcat J
04-24-2007, 11:54 AM
I'd trade Freel for WMP.

Even if Pena can't hit breaking balls his career OPS+ is above average at 103 and 8 points higher than Freel's 95. Plus, I think if Pena is given the chance to play everyday this number will increase.

Pena is an above average CF. Pena has a better career Range Factor than Freel in Centerfield. Pena's CF Range Factor is 2.99 to Freel's 2.88. Not a huge difference, and both are above average. But, over the course of 162 games that is an extra 18 outs for Pena.

Add in that Pena is six years younger - he's still just 25 - and cheaper and I'll take him over Freel everyday.

kheidg-
04-24-2007, 12:01 PM
I'd do WMP for Freel in a heartbeat

Highlifeman21
04-24-2007, 01:17 PM
If WMP could lead off, I'd do it.

Unfortunately, Dunn and Hamilton should be the everyday OF, which means a platoon of WMP and KGJ in RF?

I'm not sold on that combo.

I have a feeling WMP might make a good 1B someday, if given the chance.

Conine or WMP @ 1B for us?

I choose WMP.

UC_Ken
04-24-2007, 01:20 PM
I'm not sure if he still does but Wily Mo had an amazing OPS against lefty's. With as bad as we've been against leftys you'd have to make that deal even if it meant not using a traditional leadoff hitter.

Bobcat J
04-24-2007, 01:25 PM
I'm not sure if he still does but Wily Mo had an amazing OPS against lefty's. With as bad as we've been against leftys you'd have to make that deal even if it meant not using a traditional leadoff hitter.

From 2004-2006 his OPS against lefties was .850 and against righties it was .813.

westofyou
04-24-2007, 01:31 PM
From 2004-2006 his OPS against lefties was .850 and against righties it was .813.

.322 of that was getting on base, which his his weak point. Trade WMP for Freel and you lose RH OB% steals and a better fielder for a guy whose game is nothing but power. As for his BA last year anybody think that leading the world in BABIP (over.400) might have helped a bit?

The Reds have tried that poor fielding, power based game all decade, and it's just been nothing but forgettable. Time to take another path, one that involves not longing for phenoms who seduce with power and consistently fail to climb over the top.

paintmered
04-24-2007, 01:34 PM
ESPN game, if you can stand the Matsuzaka-mania and A-Rod overkill.

:barf: :barf: :barf:

A-Rod has been on another planet this month, but there are 29 other teams and 24 other players on his team I'd like to hear a little bit about too.

uks2h
04-24-2007, 08:56 PM
For all the negative press A-Rod gets, I appreciate the positive press he is getting now.

blumj
04-24-2007, 09:33 PM
http://sonsofsamhorn.net/index.php?showtopic=18038&st=180
This might be worth a read if you're missing Wily Mo and want to get over it.

Oh, and that "all monkies enjoy a good black and white movie" thing is just what happens if you use the word "leash", which has apparently been overused to the point where they've taken it out of circulation.

westofyou
04-25-2007, 11:42 AM
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2007/04/25/sox_refuse_to_drop_their_heads/

Peña, who has become a lightning rod for the fans' booing and mock cheers, said he did the best he could on his mistake.

"It was like a line drive and the ball was going down quick and it hit [the glove] right in the middle," said Peña. "And the ball just fell off. I tried to do the best I can there."

Peña said he understands the fickle nature of being a fan and he doesn't take it personally.

"They're up and down [with every pitch]," he said. "Because here it's all about baseball and that's good. They're just following baseball. That's good for you because it will keep you doing the best you can. [Jays starter Roy Halladay] pitched a good game and sometimes you just have to tip your hat. There are good days and bad days."

Bobcat J
04-25-2007, 02:37 PM
http://sonsofsamhorn.net/index.php?showtopic=18038&st=180
This might be worth a read if you're missing Wily Mo and want to get over it.

Oh, and that "all monkies enjoy a good black and white movie" thing is just what happens if you use the word "leash", which has apparently been overused to the point where they've taken it out of circulation.

You know, for the complaing about game threads being a mess and some of the more recent questionable threads, SOSH makes Redszone seem like a positively civil and cheery place to be. The amount of cursing in that thread is amazing.

jimbo
04-25-2007, 02:45 PM
I guess WMP is having trouble with those "slices" in CF also. It sure doesn't look as if Red Sox fans think much of his CF defense.