PDA

View Full Version : Marty's reaction to my question on today's broadcast

flynn78
04-22-2007, 08:43 PM
Hey just wanted to tell everyone that I am fine after being picked on by the Hall of Famer today. Long story short I wrote an e-mail that you may have heard if you were listening to the radio broadcast. Here it is:

Marty and Jeff,
Great to hear you on the radio today. I want to welcome Jeff into the fold and thank you Marty for your Hall of Fame career. Just one question today, "Where is Ken Griffey Jr"? This mystery illness and the ensuing coverup has me thinking he is currently recuperating in the Bermuda Triangle with the Loch Ness monster and Bigfoot. What gives with the lack of coverage?

Nick Flynn
Miamisburg, OH

Marty laughed and then said that there was no lack of coverage and that Griff had direticulitis. I had not heard this anywhere. He then said how terrible of an affliction that it was and that Jeff Brantley deals with it too. I just wanted to stop the recent tradition of covered up Griffey injuries. I am happy I did, even though I took a ribbing from a Hall of Famer. :D

marcshoe
04-22-2007, 09:08 PM
Diverticulitus, maybe? :confused:

redsrule2500
04-22-2007, 09:11 PM
lol i just heard that today.

Can be read as 'diarrhea' for why he's not playing...

redsfan30
04-22-2007, 09:35 PM

Yeah...they're faking a bad illness to keep him out of the lineup.

:rolleyes:

Razor Shines
04-22-2007, 10:50 PM

Well that and this little part:

If an inflamed diverticulum bursts open, and the infection spreads to the lining of the abdominal cavity, (peritoneum), this can cause a potentially fatal peritonitis.

macro
04-22-2007, 11:30 PM
Nick, I heard about ten minutes of the radio broadcast today, and your email was read during that ten minutes.

:beerme:

TeamBoone
04-22-2007, 11:44 PM

Diverticulitis is a whole lot more than diarrhea. Perhaps you should read up on it. It's very serious and according to the article someone posted on Reds Live, he was diagnosed with it six months ago.

It's not a laughing matter.

WVPacman
04-22-2007, 11:48 PM
I don't know nothing about Diverticulitis but if its that bad as TB said then I hope Jr takes off until it is completly gone.If he comes back to soon then you never know he might hurt his self even more and get worse.We will need him healthy and strong to HOPEFULLY make a run to the playoffs.

Reds1
04-23-2007, 12:51 AM
My father in law has it. It sucks for a few days and than can be normal, but can flar up anytime. You can't eat like popcorn and stuff like that. It hurts like hell and can keep a good man down for days. I suspect he'll be starting on Tues, but it will probably happen again before he retires. Sucks getting old. Yes, my bday is next thurs. I will be closer to 40 than 30. :)

RedsFan75
04-23-2007, 11:44 AM
My mom has it, it's a very painful, frustrating illness, it's one of those that seriously limits what you can and can't eat.

WebScorpion
04-24-2007, 10:24 AM
I thought you got diverticulitis from being old, overweight, and not exercising? Uh, Junior may getting old but he's not THAT old... :eek:

membengal
04-24-2007, 10:51 AM
No. You are ill-informed.

dabvu2498
04-24-2007, 11:08 AM
No. You are ill-informed.

Well, sorta... part of the Wikipedia entry on diverticulitis reads as such:

I am not in any way trying to make light of KGJ's illness.

Diverticulitis most often affects middle-aged and elderly persons, though it can strike younger patients as well. Abdominal obesity may be associated with diverticulitis in younger patients, with some being as young as 20 years old

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diverticulitis

RedsFan75
04-24-2007, 11:26 AM
It also states....

The development of colonic diverticulum is thought to be a result of raised intraluminal colonic pressures. The sigmoid colon has the smallest diameter of any portion of the colon, and therefore the portion which would be expected to have the highest intraluminal pressure according to the laws of Laplace. The postulate that low dietary fiber, particularly non-soluble fiber (also known in older parlance as "roughage") predisposes individuals to diverticular disease is supported within the medical literature.

Low dietary fiber can be a more prevelant cause, as I think it's a reason in my Mom's case.

The treatment,
patients may be placed on a low residue diet. This low-fiber diet gives the colon adequate time to heal without needing to be overworked. Later, patients are placed on a high-fiber diet. There is some evidence this lowers the recurrence rate.

is a lot of no fun foods.

Redlegs
04-27-2007, 08:22 PM
I happened to catch that as well. I think it was the last time Marty's been in a good mood. :D

GAC
04-27-2007, 09:01 PM
Well... at least someone is producing runs on this team. :lol:

Griffey is now suffering from pleurisy (inflammation in the lungs).

TeamBoone
04-27-2007, 09:09 PM

Griffey is now suffering from pleurisy (inflammation in the lungs).

I just heard 'chest pain'. Pleurisy? Wow! I really feel bad for him. It seems to be one thing after another.

Reds Fanatic
04-27-2007, 09:15 PM
Earlier this week he was having problems with diverticulitis but currently his problem is with pleurisy. Here is the definition of pleurisy.

http://www.webmd.com/sexual-conditions/understanding-pleurisy-basics

Pleurisy, also called pleuritis, is an inflammation of the pleura, which is the moist, double-layered membrane that surrounds the lungs and lines the rib cage. The condition can make breathing extremely painful, and sometimes it is associated with another condition called pleural effusion where excess fluid fills the area between the membrane's layers.

The double-layered pleura protects and lubricates the surface of the lungs as they inflate and deflate within the rib cage. Normally, a thin, fluid-filled gap -- the pleural space -- allows the two layers of the pleural membrane to slide gently past each other. But when these layers become inflamed, their roughened surfaces rub painfully together like two pieces of sandpaper with every breath, sneeze, and cough.

In some cases of pleurisy, excess fluid seeps into the pleural space, resulting in pleural effusion. This fluid buildup usually has a lubricating effect, relieving the pain associated with pleurisy as it reduces friction between the membrane's layers. But at the same time, the added fluid puts tremendous pressure on the lungs, reducing their ability to move freely and causing shortness of breath. In some cases of pleural effusion, this excess liquid can become infected.

What Causes It?
Viral infection is probably the most common cause of pleurisy. Other diseases that can cause pleurisy are lung infections, such as pneumonia and tuberculosis, and other diseases such as systemic lupus erythematosus (lupus), rheumatoid arthritisr, cancer, liver and kidney disease, heart failure and pulmonary embolism. Other causes include chest injuries and drug reactions.

Pleurisy and pleural effusion are generally only as serious as the underlying disease causing it. If you have either of these conditions, you may already be undergoing treatment for the underlying disease; if not, seek medical attention immediately.

A pleural effusion can occur without pleurisy, as is the case in heart failure.

GAC
04-27-2007, 09:19 PM
The imnflammation in the lungs probably is a result from all that straining (if you get my drift) :mooner:

TeamBoone
04-27-2007, 11:23 PM
The imnflammation in the lungs probably is a result from all that straining (if you get my drift)

I don't get your drift... what do you mean?

They just announced his diagnosis on the local news, and it wasn't even part of the sportscast.

All of Jr's previous problems were due to sports injuries. These last two are health problems. I'm worried about him.

Jr's Boy
04-28-2007, 02:12 AM
Very bad illness,i've had it twice.It feels like needles puncturing your lungs when you inhale.Only thing you can do is take antibiotics,and wear an ace bandage around your ribcage.Takes a few days or a week or more to recover,depending on the individual.But these two illness's he's had have nothing to do with each other.

red-in-la
04-28-2007, 04:50 AM

If you ever have DV, you won't make jokes about it ever again.:help:

I was on a liquid diet for two weeks. I was hospitalized. My blood pressure was 200/120 from the pain as they were loading me into the ambulance.

This is very serious and very painful and the residue can be lots of internal swelling that takes weeks and weeks to completely go away.

Once the attack itself is over, think of it as being gut punched by the Terminator.....in terms of what the recovery is like. I could hardly get out of bed for a week.....playing ML baseball would seem to me to be *&^$%$#

TeamBoone
04-28-2007, 10:06 AM
And now the pleurisy.

I don't think the guy will ever get a break.

marcshoe
04-28-2007, 11:54 AM
Someone who has diverticulitus told me yesterday, after this came out, that diverticulitus can cause pluerisy. They explained the process, but I didn't take it in, and I have no real idea if this is true or not.

KronoRed
04-28-2007, 12:48 PM
And now the pleurisy.

I don't think the guy will ever get a break.

That is extremely painful, MrsK had it once :(

TeamBoone
04-28-2007, 03:03 PM
Someone who has diverticulitus told me yesterday, after this came out, that diverticulitus can cause pluerisy. They explained the process, but I didn't take it in, and I have no real idea if this is true or not.

I've worked in clinical research all my life, am definitely not a doctor but know a fair amount about human anatomy and have absolutely no idea how this could be true.

KYRedsFan
04-28-2007, 04:13 PM
Uggh, cannot believe it has come to this with Jr. These are diseases of middle age. Have we checked a birth certificate?

redsrule2500
04-28-2007, 04:44 PM
Uggh, cannot believe it has come to this with Jr. These are diseases of middle age. Have we checked a birth certificate?

Seriously...he's acting about 7 years older than he is ever since we got him. Really strange.

marcshoe
04-28-2007, 05:17 PM
I've worked in clinical research all my life, am definitely not a doctor but know a fair amount about human anatomy and have absolutely no idea how this could be true.

The reason I got the explanation was that I questioned whether this was so. When I heard the explanation, I realized that I had no idea what they were talking about, nodded, and moved on. :help:

Pluerisy was one of several things a doctor was considering as possibly being wrong with me a few years back, but it turned out I had just pulled a rib cage muscle.

TeamBoone
04-28-2007, 07:03 PM

Believe it or not, disease can hit at any age. He sure does seem to have a lot of bad luck though. I just hope neither gets any worse.

Pleurisy, I believe, is treatable/curable. Diverticulitis is merely controlled by medication and can flare at any time... though I think surgery cures it, but is only done once the growths no longer respond to medication or the condition worsens.

creek14
04-28-2007, 07:16 PM
These are diseases of middle age.
I've had pleurisy, off and on, since I was a teen.

KittyDuran
04-28-2007, 07:16 PM
I've had pleurisy 3x. The first time, I felt like I was having a heart attack with pneumonia - almost went to the emergency room. It felt as it my chest was on fire with little needles every time I breathed. My doctor knew that it was pleurisy right away and put me on industrial strength IB. Told me stay home from work, not get out of the house and just lay around with a heating pad on my chest. Had to take the IB (800mg) every time it hurt (and it hurt a lot the first day). 2nd day was better and I went back to work the 3rd day. Still don't know how I would get it. And even tho' I knew the next 2x that it was pleurisy, I still went to see my doctor just to rule out anything else. BTW, it would start as pain in my back and move to my chest.

Ron Madden
04-28-2007, 07:23 PM
I've had pleurisy, off and on, since I was a teen.

Me too.

Chip R
04-28-2007, 10:33 PM
Seriously...he's acting about 7 years older than he is ever since we got him. Really strange.

I know. I remember when we got him he was in his early 30s and now he's pushing 40. Who knew? :dunno:

TeamBoone
04-28-2007, 11:22 PM

I have no idea what you mean by this. He's "acting" 7 yrs older?

Do you mean that his body is acting older because he's getting these diseases which some feel are "old people's" ailments? (that's a misconception, BTW)