PDA

View Full Version : APB: Edwin Encarnacion

15fan
04-23-2007, 04:56 PM
Let me preface this with the statement that I've only seen about 3 innings of Reds baseball (ST and regular season combined) so far in 2007.

First of all, is the guy in this picture (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7278) really Edwin Encarnacion?

Second, and more importantly, what in the world is going on with EE at the plate? 58 ABs so far this year, and he has 1 XBH? .190 / .277 / .207?

That's a .484 OPS for someone who plays a corner position.

To give you a reference point, Juan Castro's career numbers in 2,100+ career ABs are .231 / .271 / .338

Is EE batting blindfolded? Is he wearing ice skates in the batters box? Is he swinging with a 72 ounce bat?

Point to Griffey, Dunn, etc. But if EE can't even put up Juan Castro numbers at the plate, it's gonna be a horrific season.

Razor Shines
04-23-2007, 04:59 PM
Let me preface this with the statement that I've only seen about 3 innings of Reds baseball (ST and regular season combined) so far in 2007.

First of all, is the guy in this picture (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7278) really Edwin Encarnacion?

Second, and more importantly, what in the world is going on with EE at the plate? 58 ABs so far this year, and he has 1 XBH? .190 / .277 / .207?

That's a .484 OPS for someone who plays a corner position.

To give you a reference point, Juan Castro's career numbers in 2,100+ career ABs are .231 / .271 / .338

Is EE batting blindfolded? Is he wearing ice skates in the batters box? Is he swinging with a 72 ounce bat?

Point to Griffey, Dunn, etc. But if EE can't even put up Juan Castro numbers at the plate, it's gonna be a horrific season.
He's looked much better at the plate in the last two games. I think getting moved down in the order a little bit has taken some of the pressure off of him. I say let him hit low in the order for a little while longer, get some confidence back and he'll be just fine and be the player we expected him to be this season.

oneupper
04-23-2007, 04:59 PM
That's Eddie Guardado

VR
04-23-2007, 07:39 PM
It's the Guardado curse. EE will not start hitting until El Gordo is activated.

redsmetz
04-23-2007, 08:12 PM
Hey wait! Maybe since they showed Everyday Eddie's picture in Arizona (and now ESPN's picking it up), EE's hitting like he's a pitcher. And not just any pitcher, a relief pitcher! Yikes, we need to get his puss up on those places so he can start hitting like a real player!

Heath
04-23-2007, 08:38 PM
I've mentioned this in other places, I have been impressed with (gulp!) Jerry Narron when it has come to EdE. He runs him out there everyday no matter what.

In past years, I think Narron would not have been so kind.

Phhhl
04-23-2007, 09:08 PM
Didn't Edwin play all winter? Players get fatigued. You can see that he is late on pitches he should kill, fouling them off or hitting weak fly balls to right-center and right. He's not quick enough to get on top of pitches right now. I'm not suggesting he needs to take signifigant time off, but a day here and there might rejuvinate him a little. Not to put too much pressure on him, but he is the best right handed hitter in the lineup and the Reds are going to struggle against lefties until he gets going. If he's not tearing the cover off the ball by mid-May, I'll be shocked.

jojo
04-23-2007, 09:11 PM
I don't think there is a reason to get too worried about EE... slow starts to seasons happen all of the time.

I think it should be pointed out though, Reds fans might be expecting more from his future than they should. EE's value (and the same thing holds for Votto) is that he projects to be roughly a league average thirdbaseman over his control years. So the Reds are getting good production for cheap.

EE is never going to be a Wright or Cabrera with the bat nor is he ever going to be a Beltre with the leather. He's basically going to be a relatively cheap checkmark.

This isn't a negative assessment. I'm stoked about a league average infield consisting of EE, Votto and Phillips (all three costing less than $1.5M in total for the next several years).

paulrichjr
04-23-2007, 09:18 PM
I have to say that Narron is better than a lot of people give him credit. Often his boneheaded moves are later found out to have reasons behind them such as the Arroyo move last week when he asked to be removed. I don't think he is a Leyland or a Sparky but he is much better than many managers. I don't think we can expect him to bring that extra something that great ones bring but he can under the right circumstances get us to the playoffs.

As far as the topic at hand... I think Edwin has looked much better the last few days and is about to explode.

chicoruiz
04-23-2007, 09:20 PM
If I worked at my career in, say, the Dominican, and was surrounded by people who didn't speak English well, and maybe my Spanish wasn't all that wonderful, I think my job performance might be occasionally pretty sketchy. Which is a convoluted way of saying that I think Edwin at this moment needs a support system that may not exist for Latino players in the Reds organization. I wish they had a Latino coach; failing that I wish there was a player who could fill a mentoring role for EE. Can Castro be that guy? I don't know, but my perception is that Edwin could use someone like that right now.

traderumor
04-23-2007, 09:39 PM
58 ABs so far this yearThere's your answer. While it is painful to watch on a daily basis, it is a modest slump.

KronoRed
04-23-2007, 10:29 PM

Well then we are set for 2008 ;)

Big Klu
04-24-2007, 12:46 AM
If I worked at my career in, say, the Dominican, and was surrounded by people who didn't speak English well, and maybe my Spanish wasn't all that wonderful, I think my job performance might be occasionally pretty sketchy. Which is a convoluted way of saying that I think Edwin at this moment needs a support system that may not exist for Latino players in the Reds organization. I wish they had a Latino coach; failing that I wish there was a player who could fill a mentoring role for EE. Can Castro be that guy? I don't know, but my perception is that Edwin could use someone like that right now.

I firmly believe that Juan Castro will be a coach in the Reds organization when his playing career is over. It might be at the major-league level, but I think it will more likely be in the low minors--his leadership among young Hispanic players would be invaluable somewhere like Billings, MT.

Jpup
04-24-2007, 06:08 AM

Juan Castro (Mexico), Javier Valentin (Puerto Rico), Victor Santos (Dominican), Alex Gonzalez (Venezuela). I'm sure you have a point, but I fail to see it. He seems to have a pretty large "latino" influence just on the 25 man roster. I think the Reds need to quit worrying about it and just let him play. He'll figure it out, he has for his entire life. This kid has been hitting baseballs better than most people for a long, long time. He'll be fine.

Heath
04-24-2007, 06:33 AM
What the Reds don't have are kick'em in the rear personalities.

Sometimes, those are nice to have.

paulrichjr
04-24-2007, 11:31 AM
I have to say that Narron is better than a lot of people give him credit. Often his boneheaded moves are later found out to have reasons behind them such as the Arroyo move last week when he asked to be removed. I don't think he is a Leyland or a Sparky but he is much better than many managers. I don't think we can expect him to bring that extra something that great ones bring but he can under the right circumstances get us to the playoffs.

As far as the topic at hand... I think Edwin has looked much better the last few days and is about to explode.

15fan
04-24-2007, 01:06 PM
What the Reds don't have are kick'em in the rear personalities.

Sometimes, those are nice to have.

Kinda like Greg Vaughn, ca. 1999.

KronoRed
04-24-2007, 01:30 PM
Kinda like Greg Vaughn, ca. 1999.

He's available.

RichRed
04-24-2007, 01:39 PM
He's available.

Too young.

knuckler
04-25-2007, 03:09 PM

All I know is that Guardado traveled to St Louis with the team, and EdE started hitting. Just sayin'

redsrule2500
04-27-2007, 02:33 AM
Yeah, EE has been super struggling as of late. Just remember if this happened in the middle of the season it wouldn't be nearly as bad as it is at the beginning. I'm sure he'll turn it around, but he's gotta hurry it up. I bet narron is anxious to send him down :p

Ron Madden
04-27-2007, 02:56 AM
I hope Jerry continues to stick with Edwin.

I've heard of the sophomore jinx but this slump is unbelievable.

EE has a history of hitting linedrives and linedrives have a funny way of turning into EBHs.

I still have faith in EE.

jimbo
04-27-2007, 10:55 PM
EE hit a couple of rockets tonight, hopefully he is starting to come around. The play tonight at 3B where he skied for that line drive was just beautiful.

dougdirt
04-27-2007, 10:58 PM
The guy had two hard hit balls caught on the run on the warning track tonight. He cant buy a hit right now.

Tony Cloninger
04-28-2007, 06:57 PM
He has just forgotten what RF is. Like BP has.

They are pitching him....mostly away.......He needs to start going there until they realize they need to come back in...so he can drive the ball that way.

15fan
05-09-2007, 08:56 AM
Bump.

EE's OPS is up to a robust .591. So he's making progress on that front. His slugging (.289) is still less than his OBP (.303).

In 97 ABs, EE has 4 XBH. 2 doubles, 1 triple, and 1 HR.

Is he still being victimized by great plays in the field and hitting rockets straight at defenders?

Heath
05-09-2007, 09:15 AM
I think playing winter ball and all the extra work is giving EdE a bad start.

Johnny Bench slumped an entire year once.

KronoRed
05-09-2007, 10:13 AM

Pete Rose had a Tony Womack like OPS his first 2 years.

registerthis
05-09-2007, 10:15 AM
Pete Rose had a Tony Womack like OPS his first 2 years.

He was on the take. ;)

Always Red
05-09-2007, 11:48 AM
Eddie had a major brain cramp at 3B last night, not looking Pence back to third on a slow roller. That was not smart baseball; it's like his head wasn't in the game.

The very next ball was a line shot down the 3B line that he dove for, made a great pick-up, and easily threw the runner out at first.

I think EE will be OK. I'd rather have him at 3B than Freel, no question. EE never shows any emotion, one way or another, on the field or even in the dugout. Sometimes I wonder if he's going through the motions, sometimes I wonder if he really likes playing baseball, but most of the time I just think he's one of those guys who just doesn't show any emotion at all. If he is a sulker-type, he certainly hasn't done enough right yet in the big leagues in order to sulk for not being in the lineup batting 4th every single day.

FWIW, I don't think he's in Narron's doghouse at all; he has the 5th most AB's on the team, and has played in the 2nd most games.

RedsManRick
05-09-2007, 12:10 PM
EE has a BABIP of .260. Didn't he have a flyout to the track last night? His K% and BB% are pretty much right in line with last year.

His LD/GB/FB% look like this:
2006: 21.1/41.4/37.5
2007: 20.5/34.6/44.9

So, he's traded some grounders for fly balls, but is still producing line drives at about the same rate.

So, walking the same, striking out the same, hitting line drives at the same rate. Sounds like bad luck to me. If he's still "struggling" after 300 AB, then we can worry about his bat. For now, it seems they just aren't falling in for him.

He just needs to make better decisions defensively (the Pence play, the pointless rushed throw which went wild the other day) and play everyday.

EE is our best offensive option at 3B and needs reps and instruction to start making better decisions which will bring his errors down. He has all the tools to be a plus defensive 3B -- just needs to get his head straightened out.

Always Red
05-09-2007, 12:29 PM

That year probably made Ted Williams want to take back the ball that he had inscribed and given to Bench a few years earlier: "To Johnny Bench a sure-fire future Hall of Famer"

Bench turned out OK. ;)

EE is not Johnny Bench, but he's not D'Angelo Jimenez, either!

I totally agree with RMR; give the young guy 300 AB and see where he's at. It's not like there are any other options at 3B (Freel is not an everyday option, IMO), and he is starting to come out of it. There are much worse problems on this team (bullpen, bench, catching...)

Chip R
05-09-2007, 01:58 PM
Eddie had a major brain cramp at 3B last night, not looking Pence back to third on a slow roller. That was not smart baseball; it's like his head wasn't in the game.

And if he had done that, Everett may have beat the throw to 1st. So instead of getting a sure out, he wouldn't have gotten any outs.

Always Red
05-09-2007, 02:02 PM
And if he had done that, Everett may have beat the throw to 1st. So instead of getting a sure out, he wouldn't have gotten any outs.

One look sends Pence back to third, even a glance. And if Pence keeps going, you throw him out at the plate, or even tag him, as Pence was even with EE at that point.

You can't tell me he shouldn't have looked him back?