PDA

View Full Version : Yankees call up Phil Hughes

RedEye
04-23-2007, 11:41 PM
Per CBS Sportsline:

The New York Yankees said Monday they plan on having top pitching prospect Phil Hughes make his major league debut Thursday against Toronto. Yankees manager Joe Torre didn't rule out that the 20-year-old right-hander, taken in the first round of the 2004 amateur draft, might make more than one start. "If we're comfortable and we sense he's comfortable, we'll see what we do," Torre said before the Yankees played Tampa Bay. Hughes is 2-1 with a 3.94 ERA in three starts this season at Triple-A Scranton, and he pitched six shutout innings last Wednesday at Syracuse, allowing two hits, striking out 10 and walking none.

Can Bailey be far behind? :D

Johnny Footstool
04-23-2007, 11:44 PM
The Yankees are seriously hurting for SPs, so they can't afford to wait.

Ravenlord
04-23-2007, 11:50 PM

...Eric Milton...

RedEye
04-23-2007, 11:58 PM

...or Kyle Lohse... has his value ever been higher?

BCubb2003
04-24-2007, 12:01 AM
If you don't have starting pitching, everyone sits around waiting for the game to begin.

dougdirt
04-24-2007, 12:03 AM
It will be interesting to watch. I am a big Hughes fan. I have talked with him a few times and he is a super nice, down to earth guy. I will root for him to pitch very well. No way the Yankees wanted to do this with him yet, but they are at a point where they don't have much of a choice. Best of luck to him.

RedEye
04-24-2007, 12:18 AM
It will be interesting to watch. I am a big Hughes fan. I have talked with him a few times and he is a super nice, down to earth guy. I will root for him to pitch very well. No way the Yankees wanted to do this with him yet, but they are at a point where they don't have much of a choice. Best of luck to him.

Mind if I ask how you got to speak with him?

Matt700wlw
04-24-2007, 12:22 AM
Can Bailey hit left handed pitching?

CTA513
04-24-2007, 12:24 AM
Can Bailey hit left handed pitching?

Career .874 hitter against lefties with 75 homeruns (73 solo) in 165 ABs.

:devil:

dougdirt
04-24-2007, 12:31 AM
Mind if I ask how you got to speak with him?

He collects baseball cards and so do I. We had a friend in common through another message board.

Matt700wlw
04-24-2007, 12:33 AM
Career .874 hitter against lefties with 75 homeruns (73 solo) in 165 ABs.

:devil:

Well...then get on the phone!!:D

RedsManRick
04-24-2007, 02:51 AM
...Eric Milton...

Has a lower ERA than Aaron Harang.

CTA513
04-24-2007, 03:00 AM
Has a lower ERA than Aaron Harang.

That wont last.

camisadelgolf
04-24-2007, 03:08 AM
I'll bet a dollar that it will

. . . until Lohse's next start.

But seriously, though--I started a thread about how I think Lohse is going to have a career year, and if there's ever a time for Harang to have a down year, this could be it.

Ravenlord
04-24-2007, 05:07 AM
That wont last.

no it won't. but between caling up a 20 yo, and Igawa's struggles, it might just be what the doctor order to get of that contract a year early.

Highlifeman21
04-24-2007, 08:38 AM

Phillips Hughes is more suited to be a MLB pitcher than Homer Bailey right now.

The Yankees have handled his development beautifully, but now they have the gun to their head after getting swept by Red Sox Nation this past weekend.

I've heard nothing but great things about Hughes. I just hope the Reds can learn from the Yankees about how they handled Hughes and apply it to Bailey.

Ltlabner
04-24-2007, 08:40 AM
I've heard nothing but great things about Hughes. I just hope the Reds can learn from the Yankees about how they handled Hughes and apply it to Bailey.

Have the Reds been doing something wrong in the development of Bailey?

I thought they were handling him pretty well, thus far.

Highlifeman21
04-24-2007, 08:48 AM

I'm hoping the Reds can learn patience, and properly assess their roster.

The Yankees possibly are a playoff team, and need Hughes up.

The Reds most likely are not a playoff team, and need to leave Bailey down on the farm.

KronoRed
04-24-2007, 11:57 AM
I hope he gets crushed so the yankees panic and trade him for a crafty vet named Milton.

Hey..I can dream :D

KoryMac5
04-24-2007, 12:57 PM
From what the New York writers are saying is that they wanted to call Hughes up and injuries really did not have a lot to do with it. He has a great fastball which will help him fit in on a team that doesn't have a power arm. They also need a guy who can last past the 5 inning and they feel Hughes can do this. Also Pavano=Milton they would love to trade him but can't find any takers.

dougdirt
04-24-2007, 01:05 PM
Then the NY writers have no clue what they are talking about. Hughes will be on an 85-90 pitch count.

Phil Hughes has gone more than 5 innings just once in his last 14 starts and it was hit last outing. He hadn't gone more than 5 innings since last June 23rd. If they expect him to get past 5 innings they have another thing coming.

Marge'sMullet
04-24-2007, 01:06 PM
I see Bailey making 8-10 starts and if he's pitches like he did last year then he's up. Quote it.

RedEye
04-24-2007, 01:25 PM
He collects baseball cards and so do I. We had a friend in common through another message board.

Fascinating. Does he ever read our board?

dougdirt
04-24-2007, 02:13 PM
Fascinating. Does he ever read our board?

not to my knowledge. He grew up out in Cali, so not sure he would have much interest in the Reds.

KoryMac5
04-24-2007, 03:25 PM
Then the NY writers have no clue what they are talking about. Hughes will be on an 85-90 pitch count.

Phil Hughes has gone more than 5 innings just once in his last 14 starts and it was hit last outing. He hadn't gone more than 5 innings since last June 23rd. If they expect him to get past 5 innings they have another thing coming.

The BP in NY has been absolutely hammered over the last few weeks due to overusage. I doubt that Hughes is coming up to the big club to just pitch 5 innings like he was doing in Scranton. I don't see him going 9 innings Doug and I think you are right that they will monitor his pitches but I am thinking they are hoping he can go six innings every start, seven at the most.

jojo
04-24-2007, 03:36 PM
Per CBS Sportsline:

Can Bailey be far behind? :D

I think their differences in command make Hughes and Bailey apples and oranges... Homer could be as far away as '09. Hughes was basically ripe to the point of rotting on the vine in AAA. The idea of Homer though is like sweet wine...

jojo
04-24-2007, 03:39 PM

Some things just take time I guess.

I pretty much agree.

TeamSelig
04-24-2007, 04:06 PM
Lets trade

Dunn
Milton
Cormier

For Hughes, Melky Cabrera, and a throw in prospect

;)

dougdirt
04-24-2007, 04:54 PM
The BP in NY has been absolutely hammered over the last few weeks due to overusage. I doubt that Hughes is coming up to the big club to just pitch 5 innings like he was doing in Scranton. I don't see him going 9 innings Doug and I think you are right that they will monitor his pitches but I am thinking they are hoping he can go six innings every start, seven at the most.

I just can't see it. Hughes has been on a strict pitch count his entire career and the Yankees haven't veered from that plan. When he is only throwing 85-90 pitches, he isnt going to get past 5 innings very often.

Ltlabner
04-24-2007, 05:11 PM
I'm hoping the Reds can learn patience, and properly assess their roster.

The Reds most likely are not a playoff team, and need to leave Bailey down on the farm.

That's what Wayne has done from the get go. In fact, as the hue and cry for Homer to make his MLB debut has intensified, Wayne seems to have dug his feet in more saying it ain't going to happen until it's the right time.

Seems to be they have been very paitent with Homer thus far.

Reds1
04-24-2007, 05:38 PM
sounds like a fantasy pick up!

RedEye
04-25-2007, 12:09 AM
not to my knowledge. He grew up out in Cali, so not sure he would have much interest in the Reds.

Yeah... makes sense. Still, that's really cool. Do you know any other players via baseball cards?

Marc D
04-25-2007, 03:20 PM
From a win/win point of view, the Yanks pitching is so bad why not offer Milton, Lohse, and Cormier for a package of middle infield and catching prospects(assuming they have any worthwhile) ?

Also, I know this is unpopular but assuming(correctly imo) we are going nowhere would you consider trading 30 year old Arroyo for Phillip Hughes right now to put another stud P prospect in the system closer in age to HB?

I wanted to do this trade last year when the Yanks were scuffeling and Arroyo was hot. I know Cashman said he wouldn't trade Hughes but for an effective MLB starter to help them right now I'd at least ask. The fact he is a former Red Sox, come to help the Yanks has to have some appeal to The Boss and asking when they are in dead last place coming off that sweep by Boston sure can't hurt.

Arroyo, Lohse, Milton, Cormier for Hughes and Tabada(or any other stud prospect, I don't know them that well). It's worth considering. The Yankees are built to win now, they can't wait for Hughes..we can.

dougdirt
04-25-2007, 05:48 PM
Yeah... makes sense. Still, that's really cool. Do you know any other players via baseball cards?

No, I have sold a few to family members of a few minor leaguers through Ebay but Phil is the only guy I have spoken with.

Steve4192
04-27-2007, 09:11 AM

So much for giving them six innings every start and giving the 'pen some much needed rest. One start into his career and he couldn't even get out of the fifth inning.

Jaycint
04-27-2007, 09:42 AM
So much for giving them six innings every start and giving the 'pen some much needed rest. One start into his career and he couldn't even get out of the fifth inning.

I don't know that that's fair. It was the guy's first major league start. Seemed like he was a little nervous which is to be expected. Seemed to settle down a little after a rocky first inning. Only walked one. Seemed to be aiming his pitches a little bit to me, was hitting spots but didn't have much movement on his heater. When you throw it straight major league hitters are gonna smack it.

I like his makeup and stuff though, I think unlike other overhyped Yankee prospects he is actually gonna be the real deal.

dougdirt
04-27-2007, 11:11 AM
He is on a 90 pitch count. He is not going to go past 5 innings too often. Just twice in the minor leagues since last June.

Jaycint
04-27-2007, 11:37 AM
He is on a 90 pitch count. He is not going to go past 5 innings too often. Just twice in the minor leagues since last June.

And I think that is wise on the Yankees part. He has never thrown over 146 innings in a season and the Yanks should stretch him out slowly. He won't even be 21 until June. This year, assuming he stays up from here on out, I wouldn't let him go past 100 pitches in a start.

Degenerate39
04-27-2007, 11:42 AM
That didn't pan out too well for the Yankees

dougdirt
04-27-2007, 11:45 AM
And I think that is wise on the Yankees part. He has never thrown over 146 innings in a season and the Yanks should stretch him out slowly. He won't even be 21 until June. This year, assuming he stays up from here on out, I wouldn't let him go past 100 pitches in a start.

I agree with you to the point that he needs to be on that pitch count. Problem I have with it is that he should be on that pitch count in SWB and not NYC.

KronoRed
04-27-2007, 12:50 PM
That didn't pan out too well for the Yankees

They need Milton

Degenerate39
04-27-2007, 01:00 PM
They need Milton

Exactly!

Jaycint
04-27-2007, 01:25 PM
I agree with you to the point that he needs to be on that pitch count. Problem I have with it is that he should be on that pitch count in SWB and not NYC.

I agree, he needs to be stretching his arm out somewhere besides Yankee stadium.

If the Yankees need a rubber arm to help take some of the load off their bullpen then it probably isn't a good idea to call up a kid who is on a strict pitch count.