PDA

View Full Version : Best Reds Brawls

flynn78
04-24-2007, 12:25 AM
I think we need a change of pace. Maybe by osmosis we can put some fight in this 2007 edition of the Reds. Please post your favorite brawls involving the Reds from the past. If possible post a link to video.

I'll start.

Pete Rose vs. Bud Harrelson 1973- Dustup at 2nd base almost causes a forfeit.

Eric Davis vs. Ray Knight- Meeting at 3rd base touches off a donnybrook with the feared 1986 Mets.

westofyou
04-24-2007, 12:28 AM
August 5th, 1960 - The one-year anniversary of Martin getting beaned in the face as a Cleveland Indian by Senator pitcher Tex Clevenger’s fastball, Martin had seven facial bones broken, but declared it an accident and forgave Clevenger for the incident. On the anniversary the Reds are in Chicago playing the Cubs and the Senators are also in town to take on the White Sox in the evening.

Several of the Senator players visited the Reds clubhouse prior to the contest and engaged Billy Martin in a conversation, Billy felt that he was being crowded in the National League (The Dodgers in retaliation for a Roger Craig collision had beaned Vada Pinson three times since the incident causing the Reds to be somewhat on edge.) According Senator pitcher Hal Woodeshick Martin was “fed up with getting knocked on his ass every time up.” And then he swore, “Someone’s going to pay.”

On the mound that day for the Cubs was 22-year-old Jim Brewer, a rookie making his fourth start of his career. After walking Martin to lead off the game Brewer gave up 3 hits and allowed 2 runs. In the second inning he got two quick outs and Martin stepped to the plate. The first pitch was high and tight and Martin acted as if he had been struck in the helmet and took off for first, the ruse didn’t take and he was ordered back into the box. Brewer threw the 1-0 pitch and Martin took a half swing and his bat skittered out towards the mound landing ten feet to the right of the rubber.

Martin said it “Slipped” from there he walked out to the mound to retrieve his bat. In his hearing with Warren Giles he claimed that Brewer was “mouthing off and that if he had kept his mouth shut nothing would have happened. Brewer admitted he asked if Martin wanted to fight. Martin’s reply was “No, I’m out here to get my bat, kid.”

It was then that Martin attacked Brewer with a surprise right, fracturing his cheekbone and orbital, starting a general ruckus that featured an angry Brewer stalking the field with a broken bat in his hand.In the aftermath it was obvious the culture of the game was going to point to the pitcher vs. the hitter aspect of this fight. The Sporting News ran stories about Martins 1959 beaning, and even printed a letter to the editor about “The Carl May’s Pitch” from former Major Leaguer Dummy Hoy. The general consensus was that the batter was at the mercy of the headhunters.

Martin gave his final word on the matter, “Nobody, and I mean nobody is going to throw at my head, they can hit me anyplace else, but not in the head.”

One final note, in his short time in the National League Billy Martin was never hit by a pitch.

WMR
04-24-2007, 12:45 AM
Semi-related: Top 10 baseball brawls on ESPN a few years ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lHyZhvgkPo

letsgojunior
04-24-2007, 12:52 AM
2000 - Reds vs Rockies in Colorado. Junior was hit in the first game of the series, the Reds retaliated by hitting Larry Walker. In the final game of the series Junior was hit again; Sully retailiated by hitting Brian L. Hunter, who promptly charged the mound.

It wasn't a particularly spectacular brawl, but I was at the game sitting like 10 rows back, so I thought it was pretty awesome.

Big Klu
04-24-2007, 12:54 AM
Mario Soto vs. the Chicago Cubs

Mario Soto vs. the Atlanta Braves

I think these were in 1983.

WVPacman
04-24-2007, 01:01 AM
Rob Dibbe and Lou Pinnella :laugh:

Eric Davis and Ray Knight was a good one!!

Paul Wilson and the cubs pitcher that kicked Pauls butt.

Matt700wlw
04-24-2007, 01:14 AM
I think the last Reds fight was the Paul Wilson vs Kyle Farnsworth beat down...

Maybe a fight would put a little fire under their butts

macro
04-24-2007, 07:44 AM
Eric Davis vs. Ray Knight- Meeting at 3rd base touches off a donnybrook with the feared 1986 Mets.

Wasn't there also one between Ray Knight of the Reds and Cesar Cedeno of the Astros, or did I dream that? The two were later traded for one another.

RedFanAlways1966
04-24-2007, 07:55 AM
April 13, 1994. Reggie Sanders charged and went ballistic on Pedro Martinez after being hit by a pitch in the eighth inning on an 0-2 count of what had been a perfect game up to that point.

The game was on TV and I remember watching it and thinking Sanders was a nut for thinking a pitcher would lose a chance to be perfect by hitting someone. Years later and getting to know Pedro Martinez better made me think Sanders might have known more than me that day.

Highlifeman21
04-24-2007, 07:58 AM
Rob Dibbe and Lou Pinnella :laugh:

Eric Davis and Ray Knight was a good one!!

Kyle Farnsworth be thy name.

My favorite was the one involving the Phillies a couple years back.

Carlos Silva plunked Dunn, I don't remember what led up to it, but Dunn took off towards Silva only to be tackled from behind by the Phillies' Catcher Mike Lieberthal.

That was the same brawl that gave us the famous picture of Ray Olmedo jumping over a pile of guys to get to the brawl. (... Like he was gonna do something in the fight anyway, he's gotta be about 5'9" and all of maybe 140 lbs...)

Dunn was quoted after the game as saying something to the effect of... "If Lieberthal hadn't stopped me, I'd probably still be in jail right now if I got to Silva"

RedFanAlways1966
04-24-2007, 08:01 AM
Wasn't there also one between Ray Knight of the Reds and Cesar Cedeno of the Astros, or did I dream that? The two were later traded for one another.

The July 4th 1979 weekend... the Reds taunted pitcher Joaquin Andujar which led to a brawl featuring Cesar Cedeno and Ray Knight. Knight dropped Cedeno with a punch at third base when words were exchanged.

RedFanAlways1966
04-24-2007, 08:04 AM
My favorite was the one involving the Phillies a couple years back.

Carlos Silva plunked Dunn, I don't remember what led up to it, but Dunn took off towards Silva only to be tackled from behind by the Phillies' Catcher Mike Lieberthal.

The REDS were killing the Phils that day (ended up winning 15-1). Dunn scored from 2nd base on a single and ran into the catcher on a close play. The Phils thought Dunn was "rubbing it in" b/c the score was like 8-0 at the time of the play. I also don't believe Silva actually hit Adam, but threw a pitch about 5 feet behind Adam!

RedFanAlways1966
04-24-2007, 08:08 AM
That was the same brawl that gave us the famous picture of Ray Olmedo jumping over a pile of guys to get to the brawl. (... Like he was gonna do something in the fight anyway, he's gotta be about 5'9" and all of maybe 140 lbs...)

:laugh:

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/mlb/photo/photogallery/2003_firsthalf_byteam/cin/10.jpg

Highlifeman21
04-24-2007, 08:33 AM
The REDS were killing the Phils that day (ended up winning 15-1). Dunn scored from 2nd base on a single and ran into the catcher on a close play. The Phils thought Dunn was "rubbing it in" b/c the score was like 8-0 at the time of the play. I also don't believe Silva actually hit Adam, but threw a pitch about 5 feet behind Adam!

Now that you mention it, I do sorta remember Silva throwing behind Dunn.

I really wish we could have seen the result of Dunn meeting Silva.

Far East
04-24-2007, 08:56 AM
The one I remember most is what I call the brawl that never happened. Or least that's how this retiree's old brain remembers it. It was during a Monday twilight double-header at Crosley Field, August 15, 1960, against the Milwaukee Braves. I think the date is right, because these were the last games I ever saw at the old ballpark. BTW, I think that Billy martin played 2B in that series.

As best I can recall, base runner Frank Robinson slid into third base (I think going first to third on a single), evidently colliding with Eddie Matthews, possibly upsetting him. I believe that Robby was safe; my attention from the first base side of the field must have been on some other aspect of the play-- the position of the Braves' infielders for a possible cut-off, or the batter's getting to second base on the outfielder's throw, not sure. Anyhow, next thing I know is that Robinson and Matthews are either rolling/wrestling on the infield dirt or standing and grappling; I don't remember if any punches were thrown.

The following might be dead wrong, but I think that:
(A) IF the dugouts emptied, there was no brawl,
(B) that Frank and Eddie either were allowed to proceed and stop on their own, or
(C) that the ump(s) soon intervened,
(D) and -- to my astonishment -- I think that nobody got ejected.

Sorry about being so vague, but I’d be a terrible crime scene witness. What are the odds that some other Zoner also saw that game and can straighten me out on the facts?

Jaycint
04-24-2007, 08:57 AM
Now that you mention it, I do sorta remember Silva throwing behind Dunn.

I really wish we could have seen the result of Dunn meeting Silva.

I'm fairly certain Mike Leiberthal saved Carlos Silva's life that day. By the way, to the right hand side of that picture is that The Mayor getting ready to land a haymaker on someone???

RedFanAlways1966
04-24-2007, 09:09 AM
I'm fairly certain Mike Leiberthal saved Carlos Silva's life that day. By the way, to the right hand side of that picture is that The Mayor getting ready to land a haymaker on someone???

Yep. Sean Casey was ejected from the game (along with Adam) for his role. He grabbed Silva IIRC and landed a few punches to his head. Sean wasn't too happy about Silva throwing a few cheapshots at Dunn while Adam was being held down by Lieberthal.

cincrazy
04-24-2007, 09:46 AM
I remember during that Phillies brawl, Jose Mesa was charging towards Sean. I legitimately feared for Sean's life, and was relieved to see him alive and well after the brawl.

Also, if Adam Dunn would have reached Silva on that day, we wouldn't be discussing whether or not Dunn should be traded, because Dunner would be in the state pen :)

Johnny Footstool
04-24-2007, 09:59 AM
April 13, 1994. Reggie Sanders charged and went ballistic on Pedro Martinez after being hit by a pitch in the eighth inning on an 0-2 count of what had been a perfect game up to that point.

The game was on TV and I remember watching it and thinking Sanders was a nut for thinking a pitcher would lose a chance to be perfect by hitting someone. Years later and getting to know Pedro Martinez better made me think Sanders might have known more than me that day.

Chris Berman did a short SportsCenter segment on that incident the day after it happened. In each of Reggie's previous at-bats, Pedro had gotten ahead in the count, then zipped a fastball at Reggie's head. This is a guy with pinpoint control, so it's very unlikely that it "just got away from him" three times vs. the same batter during a game in which he hadn't walked anybody.

Reggie was righteous in charging the mound. Pedro was (is?) a punk.

Chip R
04-24-2007, 10:00 AM
2000 - Reds vs Rockies in Colorado. Junior was hit in the first game of the series, the Reds retaliated by hitting Larry Walker. In the final game of the series Junior was hit again; Sully retailiated by hitting Brian L. Hunter, who promptly charged the mound.

It wasn't a particularly spectacular brawl, but I was at the game sitting like 10 rows back, so I thought it was pretty awesome.

An interesting little footnote to that brawl was that Hunter appealed the suspension. A few weeks later he was traded to the Reds and had to serve his suspension when he was with them.

SunDeck
04-24-2007, 10:06 AM
I thought this was one of the best ones ever:
From Wikipedia- but if I remember correctly, they have it wrong. IIRC Zimmer was actually trying to keep Soto from getting to the umpire.

Mario Soto also had a fiery temper. Two suspensions he earned during the 1984 season exemplified this.

In the first incident, on May 27 against the Chicago Cubs in Wrigley Field, third baseman Ron Cey hit what was originally ruled a home run down the left field line. Believing the ball had gone foul, Soto and Reds manager Vern Rapp disputed the call, and during the argument, Soto shoved third base umpire Steve Rippley, who had made the call. After conferring, the umpires changed their decision and ruled it a foul ball, drawing a protest from the Cubs. However, for shoving Rippley, Soto was ejected, prompting him to charge the field and attack Cubs coach Don Zimmer, which triggered a ten-minute brawl. Four days later, National League president Chub Feeney suspended Mario Soto for five games.

And this was the second one that year:

In the second incident, on June 16, the Reds were playing the Atlanta Braves in Atlanta. Soto threw several brushback pitches at Braves slugger Claudell Washington. Washington tossed his bat in the direction of Soto, appeared to go out to retrieve it, but instead walked toward the mound. Umpire Lanny Harris attempted to restrain Washington. Harris was thrown to the ground. Soto used the distraction to punch Washington. Several of Washington's teammates attempted to hold Washington to the ground. While they were doing that, Soto fired the baseball into the crowd of players, striking Braves coach Joe Pignatano. He was suspended three games for this incident; Washington received a five-game suspension for shoving Lanny Harris.

NJReds
04-24-2007, 10:24 AM
I believe Dibble and Strawberry went at it at Shea. I remember Dibble with his uniform half torn off.

Chip R
04-24-2007, 10:27 AM
I believe Dibble and Strawberry went at it at Shea. I remember Dibble with his uniform half torn off.

I don't remember a fight but I do remember Dibble tearing his own uniform top off after giving up a walkoff HR.

NJReds
04-24-2007, 10:30 AM
I don't remember a fight but I do remember Dibble tearing his own uniform top off after giving up a walkoff HR.

That's right. HR to Bonilla, I think. I believe it was one of those "turn back the clock" unis.

The fight with the Mets was when he hit Tim Teufel or Juan Samuel. Then he and Charleton were allegedly looking for Strawberry in the clubhouse. Had to be early '90s.

KronoRed
04-24-2007, 11:56 AM
An interesting little footnote to that brawl was that Hunter appealed the suspension. A few weeks later he was traded to the Reds and had to serve his suspension when he was with them.

Only the Reds :laugh:

harangatang
04-24-2007, 12:33 PM
Yep. Sean Casey was ejected from the game (along with Adam) for his role. He grabbed Silva IIRC and landed a few punches to his head. Sean wasn't too happy about Silva throwing a few cheapshots at Dunn while Adam was being held down by Lieberthal.I was over at Newport on the Levee with a buddy of mine and we debated about going to the game that night. Needless to say I wish I would've went over to GABP instead of seeing the highlights only on Sports Center.

Always Red
04-24-2007, 02:32 PM
Pete Rose vs. Bud Harrelson 1973- Dustup at 2nd base almost causes a forfeit.

Pedro Borbon put on a Mets hat after that fight had ended, took it off, looked at it and promptly took a bite out of it.

It was Willie May's hat!

klw
04-24-2007, 02:54 PM

http://www.newsday.com/media/photo/2006-08/24891771.jpg

Redsland
04-24-2007, 04:04 PM
A pre-Mets Franco looks like he wants a piece of Stillwell.

Heath
04-24-2007, 04:07 PM
Gary Carter has Eric Davis on a 3 count.

Didn't that game have a play where Dave Parker ole'd a Keith Hernandez flyball that sent the game to extra innings?

RichRed
04-24-2007, 04:10 PM
Soto was ejected, prompting him to charge the field and attack Cubs coach Don Zimmer

What is it with Zimmer and Latin American pitchers?

Razor Shines
04-24-2007, 04:22 PM
A pre-Mets Franco looks like he wants a piece of Stillwell.

LOL. Seriously what the hell is Franco doing? He should be kicking Carter in the ribs.

Chip R
04-24-2007, 04:24 PM
Gary Carter has Eric Davis on a 3 count.

Didn't that game have a play where Dave Parker ole'd a Keith Hernandez flyball that sent the game to extra innings?

I don't think he ole'd it but he did that thing he used to do where he'd just grab it as it was coming down and I think he didn't get it quite right and it bounced off his glove.

Razor Shines
04-24-2007, 04:26 PM
I think the last Reds fight was the Paul Wilson vs Kyle Farnsworth beat down...

Maybe a fight would put a little fire under their butts

You know it maybe macho and stupid, but I never felt closer to any of my teammates than after a fight. Again that maybe wrong, but that's the way I felt. And honestly I wouldn't mind seeing this Reds team get in some sort of a scuffle together. And I know that team unity doesn't trump talent, but there are talented hitters on this team who aren't performing right now and a lot of times it's stupid things that help guys break out of a slump, maybe a fight would do it. Maybe not.

LINEDRIVER
04-24-2007, 05:59 PM
The July 4th 1979 weekend... the Reds taunted pitcher Joaquin Andujar which led to a brawl featuring Cesar Cedeno and Ray Knight. Knight dropped Cedeno with a punch at third base when words were exchanged.

To watch Cedeno jump that railing and run to 3B had to of been worth the price of admission.

JULY 4, 1979…The Reds lose, 3-2, to the Houston Astros at Riverfront Stadium. Reds’ pitcher Bill Bonham and Astros’ pitcher Joaquin Andujar exchange beanball pitches, causing an infuriated Ray Knight to challenge the Houston bench from his third base position. Astros’ center fielder Cesar Cedeno leaps over the dugout railing and fights with the Reds’ third baseman. Knight lands several punches before being surrounded by Cedeno’s teammates. Cedeno and Knight are ejected.

LINEDRIVER
04-24-2007, 06:07 PM
I believe that the Mario Soto episode in Wrigley Field in 1984 included him trying to take a bat into the stands in the first base area. He was stopped before he could attack any hecklers but it was ugly. I was watching the game on WGN while living in New Orleans at the time. I dont mind seeing a good 'ole donnybrook but Soto went WAY over the line and I was truly embarrassed to be a Reds' fan that day.

I also remember a time when Phillies' 3B coach Dave Bristol was giving Soto the business from the 3B coaching box. The more Bristol would scream things along the lines of "You ain't got nuthin' today, Soto" the more Soto would get mad and rattled.

jimbo
04-24-2007, 06:16 PM
You know it maybe macho and stupid, but I never felt closer to any of my teammates than after a fight. Again that maybe wrong, but that's the way I felt. And honestly I wouldn't mind seeing this Reds team get in some sort of a scuffle together. And I know that team unity doesn't trump talent, but there are talented hitters on this team who aren't performing right now and a lot of times it's stupid things that help guys break out of a slump, maybe a fight would do it. Maybe not.

This goes along the same lines as the need for the pitching staff to protect it's hitters, which the Reds staffs have been failing at for quite some time. Arroyo is about the only pitcher on this staff that I have no doubt would protect his hitters if needed. You don't see the Reds get into many scuffles because opposing pitchers can throw at their hitters all day without fear of retribution.

Razor Shines
04-24-2007, 06:22 PM
This goes along the same lines as the need for the pitching staff to protect it's hitters, which the Reds staffs have been failing at for quite some time. Arroyo is about the only pitcher on this staff that I have no doubt would protect his hitters if needed. You don't see the Reds get into many scuffles because opposing pitchers can throw at their hitters all day without fear of retribution.

You may be onto something there. I can't remember exactly but I think there was one game this year where a Reds' player got hit and I thought the Reds should have retaliated. I could be wrong though.

LawFive
04-24-2007, 06:59 PM
Circa 1992, Reds RP Xavier Hernandez vs. his former teammates on the Astros

KittyDuran
04-24-2007, 07:39 PM
There was one brawl when Dave Parker was a Red... can't remember the year, all I can remember is him picking up guys and throwing them away from the pile.

NoCalRed
04-24-2007, 08:28 PM
I don't think he ole'd it but he did that thing he used to do where he'd just grab it as it was coming down and I think he didn't get it quite right and it bounced off his glove.

If memory serves me correctly I was at this game and I don't think it was the glove flip thing he did either that caused him to miss it. Not sure if this was the same game, but I remember he was coming in on a low line drive and fell down. While laying on his side he flipped his glove hand up in the air to try and catch it as it flew by. Like I said though that was a while ago and my memory isn't what it used to be so it could have been another game where he did the falling stab at the ball.

Hap
04-24-2007, 09:44 PM

I don't mean to player-hate, but I disagree strongly that Farnsworth kicked Wilson's butt.

Farnsworth threw at Wilson' head when Wilson was trying to sac bunt. Wilson said something to him and Farnsworth charged the plate in a roid rage and sucker-tackled a surprised Wilson. Paul held his own until Farnsworth decided to fight like a baby.

Spitball
04-25-2007, 07:43 PM
I didn't see the Billy Martin-Jim Brewer fight mentioned. Martin, playing second base for the Reds, threw his bat at Brewer and charged the mound. He broke Brewer's cheek or jaw.

Also, did anyone mention the Eric Davis versus (at the time) Mets Ray Knight? There is even a poem floating around about that one.

I can't remember whether it was the Robinson-Mathews fight or the Davis-Knight fight, but someone (maybe Eric Gregg) tried restain the Red and unintentionally provided the enemy third baseman an unprotected face to punch. I believe it was Eric Davis.

Surely someone mentioned Rose and Harrelson.

What about Pedro Borbon and the famous hat story. After a brawl, Borbon accidently put an opponent's hat on his head. After he realized it, he snatched it off his head and tried to take a furocious bite out of the bill.

westofyou
04-25-2007, 07:50 PM
I didn't see the Billy Martin-Jim Brewer fight mentioned. Martin, playing second base for the Reds, threw his bat at Brewer and charged the mound. He broke Brewer's cheek or jaw.

First reply.

cincinnati chili
04-25-2007, 09:43 PM

Since Pete bet on the Reds to win, he is very concerned about Davis' well being.

RFS62
04-25-2007, 10:05 PM
To watch Cedeno jump that railing and run to 3B had to of been worth the price of admission.

JULY 4, 1979…The Reds lose, 3-2, to the Houston Astros at Riverfront Stadium. Reds’ pitcher Bill Bonham and Astros’ pitcher Joaquin Andujar exchange beanball pitches, causing an infuriated Ray Knight to challenge the Houston bench from his third base position. Astros’ center fielder Cesar Cedeno leaps over the dugout railing and fights with the Reds’ third baseman. Knight lands several punches before being surrounded by Cedeno’s teammates. Cedeno and Knight are ejected.

I was there too. It was awesome. To hear Knight tell that story on XM is a thing of beauty.

Knight was a gold glove boxer and he dropped him like a bad habit.

RFS62
04-25-2007, 10:07 PM

Spitball
04-28-2007, 05:23 PM

Donnybrook at Riverfront Stadium

by Lillian Morrison ©

Published: At The Crack Of The Bat (1992)

Oh, what a melee
Oh, what a brawl
Oh, what a slambang
Free-for-all.

Managers, umpires
And 48 players
Rolled on the ground
In knots and layers.

Knight pushed Davis?
Davis shoved Knight?
Boys will be boys.
A bench-clearing fight.

The two were ejected.
Soto, Mitchell, the same.
Pitchers played outfield.
Some baseball game.

Donnybrook at Riverfront Stadium by Lillian Morrison ©

Marc D
04-28-2007, 11:42 PM
There was one brawl when Dave Parker was a Red... can't remember the year, all I can remember is him picking up guys and throwing them away from the pile.

I'm pretty sure that was the ED vs RK fight. I remember seeing the same thing, Parker would just grab a guy from behind and fling them. The guy would spin around to confront whoever was grabbing him, see Big Dave and calm down real quick. Classic stuff.

I also remember listening to WGN during that Soto fight and hearing Harry say "what a rhubarb!!", I can hear it like it was yesterday.

Good times.

Cooper
04-29-2007, 12:52 AM
IIRC, there fight in 1991. I think it was 2nd or 3rd game of the year --night game. Dibble through behind the Astros SS's head. I remember it because i was dating a girl and we went to the rather uneventful game. We got really good seats behind home plate, scalped them. Anyways, the gal rarely spoke until the fight happened-whereupon she jumped up ran to the screen behind home plate and yelled "get em Rob".

Does anyone remember this fight? --it was against the Astros. Better yet, I should be asking about what happened to the gal.

I like good fight, but i never wanna see anyone actually get hurt. That really ruins it. Though there was a time in my life when i had so much hate in my heart, i wouldn't of minded seeing a certain Dodger manager go down in a bru-ha-ha.

SunDeck
04-29-2007, 06:44 AM
I also remember listening to WGN during that Soto fight and hearing Harry say "what a rhubarb!!", I can hear it like it was yesterday.

Good times.

YES! I had forgotten about that. My brother and I were watching the game and it cut us up pretty good. We were in our early teens- "What a Rhubarb!" in our best Harry Carey voices became the phrase for everything that summer.

cincinnati chili
04-29-2007, 02:41 PM
IIRC, there fight in 1991. I think it was 2nd or 3rd game of the year --night game. Dibble through behind the Astros SS's head. I remember it because i was dating a girl and we went to the rather uneventful game. We got really good seats behind home plate, scalped them. Anyways, the gal rarely spoke until the fight happened-whereupon she jumped up ran to the screen behind home plate and yelled "get em Rob".

Does anyone remember this fight? --it was against the Astros. Better yet, I should be asking about what happened to the gal.

I like good fight, but i never wanna see anyone actually get hurt. That really ruins it. Though there was a time in my life when i had so much hate in my heart, i wouldn't of minded seeing a certain Dodger manager go down in a bru-ha-ha.

I think the batter was Eric Yielding. I saw the highlights, but not the game.

WebScorpion
04-30-2007, 02:33 PM

Until that little quirk, I thought the funniest part of that little brawl was that Hunter charged the mound where Sully just stood and waited. When Hunter arrived Sully knocked him down and began pummeling him. At the time of the trade I was wondering how they'd get along in the clubhouse...by all acounts they had no problem with each other as teammates. :D

Tony Cloninger
04-30-2007, 05:03 PM
I have the game on DVD....the 1986 brawl.

Browning and Crazy john Denny were both nailing Mitchell.
Denny was throwing some good shots. That was guy was way too wound up.

The 1991 brawl was basically Dibble being mad that someone hit him so he threw at the next guy up......who was Yielding.

There was abrawl in 1974 CIN at LA game in August.
Billingham pitched a Shutout.......but Buckner and Morgan got into
it at 2B.....while Rose was busy shoving someone.

The 1974 CIN at PITT brawl was also big......the Pirates were
in last and looking bad....they took off after this brawl......while
Pedro earned the nickname "Vampire" from the Pirate announcer for biting....
I think it was Ed Kirkpatrick.

Big Klu
04-30-2007, 05:10 PM
I have the game on DVD....the 1986 brawl.

Browning and Crazy john Denny were both nailing Mitchell.
Denny was throwing some good shots. That was guy was way too wound up.

The 1991 brawl was basically Dibble being mad that someone hit him so he threw at the next guy up......who was Yielding.

There was abrawl in 1974 CIN at LA game in August.
Billingham pitched a Shutout.......but Buckner and Morgan got into
it at 2B.....while Rose was busy shoving someone.

The 1974 CIN at PITT brawl was also big......the Pirates were
in last and looking bad....they took off after this brawl......while
Pedro earned the nickname "Vampire" from the Pirate announcer for biting....
I think it was Ed Kirkpatrick.

I seem to remember hearing someone say that John Denny was a black belt in taekwondo, and that the Mets were very wary of him during that brawl.

Tony Cloninger
04-30-2007, 06:59 PM
Yes...he was into the martial arts and was known as a headhunter.

I guess he was not afraid to come inside...for that reason.

He threw at Reggie Jackson, when Denny was at CLE pitching at Yankee Stadium.

Jackson hit a homer ....stepped on home plate...and then charged Denny
and had a good fight with him. Two Yankees carried Jackson away into the dugout...with Jackson laughing and pointing.