PDA

View Full Version : Reds effectively off radio in Louisville :(

GOREDSGO32
04-24-2007, 10:32 PM
Reds were moved from the AM dial in Louisville. Last year and for a long time the Reds were on 790 WKRD, unless there was another event like NASCAR or UofL games and it would be on 1080 WKLK. And this year were bumped to Talk 1080 WKLK completely. That's fine, both come in great, owned by the same company. But about a week ago they got moved competely off of AM to some station on FM called 101.7 FM - which doesn't even come close to getting reception here - at least for me. So basically the Reds are off the air, in probably the biggest city outside of Cincinnati for Reds fans. What gets me most is according to city wide radio ratings of all stations here in Louisville Talk 1080 was the WORST in ratings in the city. So its not like they were losing much being on the station.

I don't know if there is many fans on here from Louisville, but this ticks me off majorly. I don't know if I should complain to 700WLW for their affiliate screwing a major city out of their broadcast or the station here in Louisville. This just sucks bad. :(

joshnky
04-24-2007, 10:37 PM
I agree with you completely. I believe 101.7 is based in Shelbyville so if you aren't close to there you're better off trying to pick up 700 and dealing with the static. I have a hard time believing the Bats are a bigger draw on 790 than the Reds were but what do I know?

AccordinglyReds
04-24-2007, 10:38 PM
Oh, it really irks me. :(

I turned on 101.7 FM, and only recieved static. 700 WLW fades in and out, along with having static. I wish it was still on 1080 AM. I think the 101.7 FM is based in Shelbyville and Louisville, so maybe that's why it sucks in Louisville.

GOREDSGO32
04-24-2007, 10:45 PM
Is there any place we can complain? I'll find an email address or something.

fearofpopvol1
04-24-2007, 11:24 PM
Just buy the MLB radio package. $15 for the season. Granted, it won't help you if you're in the car, but it's pretty reasonable.

KronoRed
04-25-2007, 12:41 AM
This is ridiculous, the Reds should do everything they can to keep themselves available over free radio in cities like Louisville.

Sad, just sad.

Retneprac
04-25-2007, 12:51 AM
It really is a travesty. I contacted the Louisville Courier-Journal's TV & Radio writer (Tom Dorsey) and he mentioned that he's heard from quite a few Reds fans. WKRD made the change because they feel they can make more money off of add-space for the talk radio format that is currently on 1080 AM than they can for Reds baseball.

But I've been writing WKRD. The more people that write - the better. And no, I haven't heard back from the radio station yet. In case you want to write them too, their site is www.790wkrd.com (they own both 790 AM and 101.7).

WVPacman
04-25-2007, 12:56 AM
I know what you guys are going threw!!!!

I live in the southern part of WV and have lestined to the reds all my life on 101.9 logan they showed every single game.Well about 10 years ago I went to the mailbox and got the banner and seen on the front page that Logan was droping the Reds b/c they was going to start showing Braves games:thumbdown.I was mad as fire b/c that was the only station that I could get the reds,700 WLW fades in and out, along with having static.

To this day it still puzzels me why Logan would drop the reds(a hometown team to us)and show a team like the braves that are hundreds of miles away.Its stupid!!!!

AccordinglyReds
04-25-2007, 01:03 AM
Just buy the MLB radio package. $15 for the season. Granted, it won't help you if you're in the car, but it's pretty reasonable.

Yeah, I have that, and as you said, it doesn't help when you are out driving around. :bang:

WVRedsFan
04-25-2007, 01:10 AM
I can sympathize with all these people. Several years ago, we had two stations in our area who carried the Reds games. WJLS in Beckely, an AM station and WAXS in Oak Hill an FM station. WJLS took on a religious format and dropped out leaving WAXS and they dropped out ten years ago because they couldn't find advertisers. Night games were OK because we can get WLW at night here, but day games were a wash unless the wind was blowing right and we could pick up WCHS in Charleston.

That's when XM came to the rescue. I had subscribed to the MLB radio feed (and I still do jsut because for $15 you can't beat it and it gives you another option) and already had XM, so it was a godsend. Even if I didn't enjoy satellite radio (which I do), it's a bargain at +/- $12 per month to get all the games. Consider it. and those of us in the southern part of the state that Suddenlink services now get 145 games on TV.

But I find it curious that at a time when the Reds were able to get the Suddenlink system to show the Reds games, they nixed Louisville (or didn't try to find a stonger station). It just seems like they have no idea that their fan base goes far beyond the greater Cincinnati area. That's sad and alarming at the same time.

Jr's Boy
04-25-2007, 01:58 AM

I got it tonight.Worth the 14.95.

redsmetz
04-25-2007, 07:34 AM
May I suggest that even though you're finding alternatives to the problem that it can't hurt to drop the Reds a letter and complain. They need to hear from fans when things like this happen. They clearly can't afford to lose a big market like Louisville.

Sometimes I think it's the bane of the powerful signal of WLW. Few folks know the link to their local station carrying the game. I remember being in Chillicothe and asking someone what station broadcasts the Reds - "oh, 700". Well if it was cloudy or something, you weren't going to pick up the game.

BTW, the Reds website still shows the station as WKRD-AM 790.

http://mlb.mlb.com/cin/schedule/cin_schedule_affiliates.jsp

Heath
04-25-2007, 07:57 AM
Matt700WLW might be more of a resource - this more of a IIRC post -

Most teams run their radio networks through a particular station. That station hires the announces, sells the time, etc. The Reds do it differently. They control the radio network and then they go find stations.

What's the difference? Well, big box radio companies (Clear Channel, Cumulus, CBS Radio, etc.) control the programming on those stations. The big wigs wherever they are choose the main programming. Most local items get dropped unless the ratings are noticable.

The Cleveland Browns are a Clear Channel Radio Network. Clear Channel pays the announcers, set's the affiliates, etc. Clear Channel assigns what stations get the Browns games in their region.

Another way to combat that problem, is to do what the Cardinals did and buy their own radio station. The Indians tried that with WKNR in Cleveland, but were not successful, so back they went to WTAM - 1100.

hebroncougar
04-25-2007, 08:46 AM
You can always try XM as well if you need it for the car. I know it's $12.95 a month, but it's worth getting all the mlb games and the home plate channel to me.

REDREAD
04-25-2007, 09:38 AM
This is ridiculous, the Reds should do everything they can to keep themselves available over free radio in cities like Louisville.

Sad, just sad.

The John Allen marketing plan.. give away as few "free games" on the radio and TV as possible.. then people will miss the Reds and come to the park. :laugh:

Slider
04-25-2007, 09:53 AM
The John Allen marketing plan.. give away as few "free games" on the radio and TV as possible.. then people will miss the Reds and come to the park. :laugh:

Let me make sure I understand the strategy...the best way to promote the Reds and increase attendance is to make it difficult to be a fan away from the park so new fans can't be cultivated and long time fans forget about the Reds and pursue other activities.

:bang:

CaptainXX
04-25-2007, 10:29 AM
I am able to listen on 700, but I am only 15 miles from Shelbyville and the static is still pretty bad. I can imagine what it's like in Louisville.

I wanted to sign up for XM's internet-only package to listen to games and Home Plate at work, but those channels aren't available online. I guess that is some sort of licensing issue with MLB.

KronoRed
04-25-2007, 11:29 AM
Let me make sure I understand the strategy...the best way to promote the Reds and increase attendance is to make it difficult to be a fan away from the park so new fans can't be cultivated and long time fans forget about the Reds and pursue other activities.

MLB follows the same plan, just check their TV blackout rules.

redlegsrock
04-25-2007, 11:32 AM
I would just like to register my displeasure as well. I am in the car a good bit in the evening, and an avid Reds fan as well. I should not have to pay to hear the Reds since technically Louisville is still the Reds market (due to the Bats). I turned on 790 last night and got Dennis Prager instead of Marty and Thom. 700 came in ok but there was lots of static. I can't pick up 700 at all from my house. I can't believe more people would listen to some misc. political talk show host (not that all of them are bad) than Reds baseball. What is the world coming to?

Chip R
04-25-2007, 11:36 AM
So is this a Reds issue or just the decision by a radio station - and its owner(s) - that they can make more money by broadcasting talk radio rather than Reds games? Last I checked this is a capitalistic society and you are urged to make as much money as you can.

redsmetz
04-25-2007, 12:24 PM
I emailed the Reds from their website to ask about this and to note your displeasure. I'd recommend others who are effected do the same. At the bottom of their website it says "contact us" and one category is "Broadcasting".

redsmetz
04-25-2007, 03:20 PM
You are correct, our games are heard on 101.7 in Louisville. I understand the signal is not very strong, however, at this time our rightsholder, Clear Channel, cannot obtain an affiliate with a more powerful signal. Hopefully, in the future, this will change. Thank you so much for your support of the Reds!

Here's the response from the Reds. I'm not sure I understand the structure of their arrangement, but perhaps complaints should go tot Clear Channel. It can't hurt, either, to reiterate to the Reds that this is untenable.

TeamDunn
04-25-2007, 03:25 PM
I have a portable XM Radio that you can use in the home, car or walking outside. I love it! :)

TeamBoone
04-25-2007, 03:45 PM
It seems pretty silly not to carry the big league team in the city that hosts its triple A club. Very strange move.

And, regarding buying the Internet pkg, believe it or not a whole lot of people don't have computers... especially older fans who love the Reds in KY and WV.

You've gotta write letters, send emails, and/or telephone anyone you can think of that has some clout to let them know how you feel. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

REDREAD
04-25-2007, 03:49 PM

Yes, that's what John Allen thinks. :laugh: Obviously, he's clueless. He never understood that free TV and radio is the best advertising he can get for his product. Obviously, you can't have all the games on free TV, but the Reds expect people to come from Kentucky when those people are seldom even exposed to the Reds. Sure, the diehards will get MLB.TV or whatever, but what about the next generation of fans/diehards?

I don't think I would've been a baseball fan if it weren't for the NBC game of the week and the NY/Chicago/Atlanta superstations letting me see games when I was a kid. Just think about the huge void in RedsZone if REDREAD never became a baseball fan. :laugh:

Matt700wlw
04-25-2007, 03:50 PM
Sorry to hear about Louisville....hopefully they'll come back once they realize the mistake they've made.

REDREAD
04-25-2007, 03:53 PM
So is this a Reds issue or just the decision by a radio station - and its owner(s) - that they can make more money by broadcasting talk radio rather than Reds games? Last I checked this is a capitalistic society and you are urged to make as much money as you can.

But the Reds have some input into helping their Radio affliates succeed, since they basically "manufacture" the product. If people were snoozing last year with Marty and the Bad Boy calling games last year, isn't that partly the Reds fault (as is the lastluster teams the Reds have had since 1999?) Also, are the Reds demanding too much $$ for their broadcasts?

Many reasons why the Reds are at least partially to blame for their declining radio network, which was once huge.

I'm not positive, but didn't Allen decide to give WLW all the rights to the baseball games and allow WLW to work deals with affiliates? I don't know if that caused the number of affiliates to shrink or not, but that's a policy decision the Reds made.

REDREAD
04-25-2007, 03:54 PM
I have a portable XM Radio that you can use in the home, car or walking outside. I love it! :)

Does it have a built in antenna? I don't know much about XM.. but the one my parents has a really fussy antenna that has to be positioned "just right".

Yachtzee
04-25-2007, 04:20 PM

I think it's a Reds issue in that the Reds need to work harder on the marketing side, not just in Hamilton Co., but in other cities it claims as its market. If they want to cultivate fans in Louisville, they need to work harder to market the team and make it more attractive to local radio outlets. The Reds should look at their radio affiliates as a partnership rather than just selling them a product and making them responsible for marketing the games in the local market.

Chip R
04-25-2007, 04:28 PM
But the Reds have some input into helping their Radio affliates succeed, since they basically "manufacture" the product. If people were snoozing last year with Marty and the Bad Boy calling games last year, isn't that partly the Reds fault (as is the lastluster teams the Reds have had since 1999?) Also, are the Reds demanding too much $$ for their broadcasts?

Many reasons why the Reds are at least partially to blame for their declining radio network, which was once huge.

I'm not positive, but didn't Allen decide to give WLW all the rights to the baseball games and allow WLW to work deals with affiliates? I don't know if that caused the number of affiliates to shrink or not, but that's a policy decision the Reds made.

Well, if there's something bad going on with the Reds it has to be John Allen's fault. Honestly, don't you ever get tired of playing that same tune over and over again?

It seems like Clear Channel is the rightsholder to the broadcasts. Since WLW and the former station in LOU are both Clear Channel stations, it seems like it's the station's decision to me. If a station believes it can make more money in talk radio than it can airing baseball games, shouldn't they be allowed to do it? And what do you want the Reds to do about it, have them carry the games at a reduced price?

It stinks that fans in LOU only have a low-powered affiliate to listen to but, unlike in the past, they have other options with MLB radio and XM.

TeamDunn
04-25-2007, 04:54 PM
Does it have a built in antenna? I don't know much about XM.. but the one my parents has a really fussy antenna that has to be positioned "just right".

I assume the antenna is built in...but when I use headphones if something starts going out then I kind of move or wiggle the plug to the headphones and it comes back in.

I don't see the model I have on their site now...I guess it has been retired. I have not heard anything about the ones on their site now.

GOREDSGO32
04-26-2007, 03:37 PM
I would like to get a satelitte radio, I'm hoping the XM-Sirius merger goes through. It's kind of sucky to have baseball on one, then practically every other sport on the other.

fadetoblack2880
04-26-2007, 06:52 PM
I would like to get a satelitte radio, I'm hoping the XM-Sirius merger goes through. It's kind of sucky to have baseball on one, then practically every other sport on the other.

i love my xm. its portable with a built-in antenna. i can also purchase antenna headphones for better reception. My only complaint is that if I had listened to any road game I would have to listen to the other teams broadcast. Luckily 580am carries the Reds so I can dial that up to hear Marty when the Reds are on the road.

KYRedsFan
04-26-2007, 07:09 PM
This blows. Used to live in Louisville and I loved sitting out on my deck having a local affiliate picking up the feed. MLB package does nothing for me there, much less as many said in a car. This blows.

Yachtzee
04-26-2007, 10:08 PM
i love my xm. its portable with a built-in antenna. i can also purchase antenna headphones for better reception. My only complaint is that if I had listened to any road game I would have to listen to the other teams broadcast. Luckily 580am carries the Reds so I can dial that up to hear Marty when the Reds are on the road.

I actually enjoy hearing other announcers call Reds games. It's nice to hear an announcer complement the Reds when they do well every once in a while.

Heath
04-26-2007, 10:16 PM
Quote:
You are correct, our games are heard on 101.7 in Louisville. I understand the signal is not very strong, however, at this time our rightsholder, Clear Channel, cannot obtain an affiliate with a more powerful signal. Hopefully, in the future, this will change. Thank you so much for your support of the Reds!

Here's the response from the Reds. I'm not sure I understand the structure of their arrangement, but perhaps complaints should go tot Clear Channel. It can't hurt, either, to reiterate to the Reds that this is untenable.

Clear Channel has 9 radio stations in the Louisville area. The above quote tells me that they aren't trying hard enough to put Reds baseball on a stronger signal.

REDREAD
04-27-2007, 12:51 PM
Well, if there's something bad going on with the Reds it has to be John Allen's fault. Honestly, don't you ever get tired of playing that same tune over and over again?

But Allen has been in charge of the Business side of the Reds since about 1997... right? For the most part, we've seen declining attendance, declining quality of the product, and shrinking media all during his rein of terror. Allen was the one that personally negotated all the media contracts under the Lindner era. He gave WLW exclusive radio rights, pulled the Reds off free TV, etc.. So yes, he is responsible. If he's not responsible, who is?

It seems like Clear Channel is the rightsholder to the broadcasts.

Because Allen decided to make it that way, which was stupid. Clear Channel doesn't give a rip about promoting the Reds, or trying to expand Reds' coverage. Thus we get decisions that political talk radio (or whatever) is better to broadcast than the Reds.

And what do you want the Reds to do about it, have them carry the games at a reduced price? .

Yes, to some extent, they should. The Reds could do creative things, like allow the station to carry the games at a reduced rate in exchange for commerical time to promote the Reds or other things like that.

Don't you think it benefits the Reds to have a regional coverage area? I know that when I lived out of WLW range, I lost track of the Reds. Sure, not everyone is like me, but that is an example.

It stinks that fans in LOU only have a low-powered affiliate to listen to but, unlike in the past, they have other options with MLB radio and XM.

But that's a chicken in the egg problem.. Sure, established fans may pay to get the games on XM.. but how are you going to bring in new fans.. For example.. The WNBA might have an XM package.. But I'm not a fan of that, so why would I buy that package? Now if the games were on free TV or free radio, I might start listening to try it out.

Once again.. the Reds marketing strategy is "We're a major league team, you should go out of your way to support us, just because we're a major league team".

storrs19
04-30-2007, 02:55 PM
This has been a bone of contention with me since the 2007 season started. First off, XM is great (I have it at home and in the car) but they hang that ****ing 15 second delay on it so that ruins using it when I watch the games on tv.

Second, I can get 101.7 but I have to move the radio to a different location in the room for every game it seems. I have a portable SuperRadio that actually pulls in the patchetic signal they put out.

Third, 700WLW just does not come in well in Louisville, it never has. I was on a trip to northern Indiana last week and was able to listen all the way to South Bend with very little static and dropouts. I guess there is just too much interference in Lousyville.

Now you can bet they will keep UK (pronounce that Yuck) games on their biggest and best stations, heaven forbid we miss a minute of Ripp Arena action :rolleyes:

As for announcers I don't want to hear anyone calling my Reds but Marty and whoever else is in the booth with him because he calls it like it is and does not sugar coat it.