PDA

View Full Version : Griffey 10th on HR List

durl
04-25-2007, 09:03 AM
Congrats to Griffey on his first HR of the season and passing Reggie Jackson.

While watching the game last night, Grande and Welsh were talking about the players ahead of Griffey on the HR list. I thought it was...interesting...that 4 of the 9 ahead of Jr. have been involved with steriods or other substances intended to improve their performance.

rotnoid
04-25-2007, 09:22 AM
Watch out Raffy, you're next!

Congrats, Griff! :beerme:

Chip R
04-25-2007, 09:33 AM
That's outstanding! I'm sure, one of these days, he'll be knocked out ot the top 10 but I think it's quite an achievement to be one of the top 10 HR hitters of all time. :)

fearofpopvol1
04-25-2007, 11:22 AM
I'm curious to see if Griff ends up with more homers than Sosa when it's all said and done. It's definitely possible...but he's gotta start hitting some more.

Degenerate39
04-25-2007, 11:38 AM
I'm curious to see if Griff ends up with more homers than Sosa when it's all said and done. It's definitely possible...but he's gotta start hitting some more.

Doubt it. He'll be lucky to get over 620 probably. I'm sure Sosa will be some where over that mark.

fearofpopvol1
04-25-2007, 12:15 PM
Doubt it. He'll be lucky to get over 620 probably. I'm sure Sosa will be some where over that mark.

Bear in mind that Grif is a year younger than Sosa. I think it's possible if Grif can remain healthy and he plays for 3-4 more years. He'd probably have to go the DH route though...

George Anderson
04-25-2007, 12:59 PM
I think it bears mentioning that Jr. has achieved this feat without having to juice like 4 of the top ten on the Home Run list have allegedly done. Jr. takes alot of grief, some deserved and alot not deserved but I think this is one time we can all be proud of him.

UC_Ken
04-25-2007, 01:08 PM
I think Griff gets 25 this year and plays two more seasons, averages 30 per season and retires. I think Sosa and his sub .300 OBP is lucky if he makes it through this season without getting cut. I'd take Griffey by 20-30 HR.

Degenerate39
04-25-2007, 01:31 PM
Bear in mind that Grif is a year younger than Sosa. I think it's possible if Grif can remain healthy and he plays for 3-4 more years. He'd probably have to go the DH route though...

Bear in mind Sosa had all those steriods inflated years

Chip R
04-25-2007, 01:59 PM
I hope the Reds do some kind of thing for him on the next homestand. They did it when he got #500.

rotnoid
04-25-2007, 02:03 PM
I hope the Reds do some kind of thing for him on the next homestand. They did it when he got #500.

I've often wondered why they don't do more with that. When McGwire was climbing the list, St Louis had a huge tote board in the outfield showing the top 10 or so. It was updated every time he hit one. They did a nice job marketing Big Mac's climb up the ladder (helped or not helped by performance enhancers). I think it would be nice to see the Reds do something similar. Why not market one of the all time greats while he wears your uni?

OesterPoster
04-25-2007, 02:08 PM
I've often wondered why they don't do more with that. When McGwire was climbing the list, St Louis had a huge tote board in the outfield showing the top 10 or so. It was updated every time he hit one. They did a nice job marketing Big Mac's climb up the ladder (helped or not helped by performance enhancers). I think it would be nice to see the Reds do something similar. Why not market one of the all time greats while he wears your uni?

Maybe Griffey doesn't want them to do anything? :dunno:

Redsland
04-25-2007, 02:11 PM
They usually list the career HR leaders on the scoreboard at some point during the game, so you can see where Jr. is.

savafan
05-03-2007, 12:27 AM
http://media-newswire.com/release_1048836.html

(Media-Newswire.com) - 5/1/2007 - SHAW AIR FORCE BASE, S.C. ( AFNEWS ) -- A Shaw Air Force Base Airman caught Ken Griffey Jr.'s 564th home-run ball during a baseball game between the St. Louis Cardinals and the Cincinnati Reds April 24 at Busch Stadium in St. Louis.

Second Lt. Christopher Franks of the 20th Operations Support Squadron, and his friend, 2nd Lt. Mike McCants of the 55th Fighter Squadron, were passing through St. Louis on their way back to Shaw AFB from an initial flight screening in Pueblo, Colo.

The pair decided to catch a game at Busch Stadium while they were in St. Louis, said Lieutenant Franks. They sat three rows back in the right field stands.

Before the game, the lieutenants joked about catching a ball.

"I said, 'Wouldn't it be funny if we caught a home-run ball?' because we were sitting in the perfect spot,'" Lieutenant McCants said.

"Yeah, that would be great, especially if it came from Ken Griffey Jr.," Lieutenant Franks said.

The lieutenants got their wish.

At the top of the fifth inning with a runner on first, Ken Griffey Jr. stepped up to the plate and smashed a ball deep toward right field on the first pitch.

"Wow, that's got a chance," Lieutenant McCants said. "I think it's going to get here."

"I jumped up, leaned back and caught the ball with one hand," Lieutenant Franks said. "I thought it was pretty cool at the time, but I had no idea how significant the ball was."

An usher then told the Airmen that Mr. Griffey would like the ball because it was his 564th home run, and it broke a tie with baseball great Reggie Jackson for 10th place on the career home-run list.

"I thought about it for a minute," Lieutenant Franks said. "I thought about being in his shoes. I thought I would want the ball back if it were me. I told the usher I would give the ball back, but I would like to meet Mr. Griffey."

After the game was over, the two Airmen met Mr. Griffey.

Lieutenant Franks said he was "a really nice guy" and that he had a blast meeting the baseball star.

"He thought it was really cool that we were working to become pilots because he is working to become one as well," Lieutenant Franks said.

After talking for a while and snapping lots of pictures, Mr. Griffey signed baseball bats and balls for the Airmen.

When Lieutenant Franks caught the ball, a sports auctioneer sitting nearby told him he could probably sell the ball for more than $20,000.

"I didn't feel like being greedy," the lieutenant said. "I just wanted to meet Ken Griffey Jr. for a great experience, a treasured memory and to have a great story to tell."
by Senior Airman John Gordinier
20th Fighter Wing Public Affairs

George Anderson
05-03-2007, 12:39 AM
http://media-newswire.com/release_1048836.html

When Lieutenant Franks caught the ball, a sports auctioneer sitting nearby told him he could probably sell the ball for more than $20,000.

"I didn't feel like being greedy," the lieutenant said. "I just wanted to meet Ken Griffey Jr. for a great experience, a treasured memory and to have a great story to tell."
by Senior Airman John Gordinier
20th Fighter Wing Public Affairs

Personally I wouldnt pass on $20,000 in order to meet any ball player, the only exception being should George Herman Ruth one day rise from his grave.

Redsland
05-03-2007, 10:44 AM
"He thought it was really cool that we were working to become pilots because he is working to become one as well," Lieutenant Franks said.
I didn't know that.

I wonder if the Cory Lidle thing has given him second thoughts.

Pinch Hits
05-03-2007, 12:53 PM
That is a fantastic story. Gotta like it when good things happen to good people. Nice to hear it when baseball stars are cool and are accessible too.

Razor Shines
05-03-2007, 02:11 PM
That is a fantastic story. Gotta like it when good things happen to good people. Nice to hear it when baseball stars are cool and are accessible too.

Don't believe it. Jr. is mean, he steals candy from babies, he hates old people and he kicks dogs. That's what happens when you "don't run out grounders".